PDA

View Full Version : Groundhog's Random Banter of Weather Prediction and Anti-Gopherness #120

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

Fredthefighter
2009-06-10, 01:31 PM
UNICORN POWEEEER!

That is all.

But did you watch the previous seasons? (or the original series for that matter).
It's an awesome project of Mr.Robert Moran. Although I am still waiting for that U-Realms game he promised. :smallbiggrin:

Dirk Kris
2009-06-10, 01:34 PM
The grandparents said that since Casey and Cassie lived at home for a year and a half after the baby was born that they were significant enough in Cassie's life that it would be BAD for her to NOT have them around. And the judge agreed. Now, if Cassie had been there ALONE with her grandma, then maybe. But Casey was there the whole time. And isn't family supposed to help and support you? ESPECIALLY if you have a new baby? WTF makes these people so goddam special that they can make demands like this and ruin her life and be rewarded for it? I just don't get it. And Casey's husband (not Cassie's father) has always raised her and she calls him Daddy and all that, and now he FEELS like the stepdad.

These people - the grandparents and judge and lawyers - have RUINED their family.

Fredthefighter
2009-06-10, 01:37 PM
The grandparents said that since Casey and Cassie lived at home for a year and a half after the baby was born that they were significant enough in Cassie's life that it would be BAD for her to NOT have them around. And the judge agreed. Now, if Cassie had been there ALONE with her grandma, then maybe. But Casey was there the whole time. And isn't family supposed to help and support you? ESPECIALLY if you have a new baby? WTF makes these people so goddam special that they can make demands like this and ruin her life and be rewarded for it? I just don't get it. And Casey's husband (not Cassie's father) has always raised her and she calls him Daddy and all that, and now he FEELS like the stepdad.

These people - the grandparents and judge and lawyers - have RUINED their family.

I agree.

This also makes me slightly ashamed to want to go into the legal profession (I had actually planned on being a lawyer). Unfortunately, from what I've seen, the British system isn't much different or that much better. :smallsigh:

Mr. Mud
2009-06-10, 01:39 PM
Seems sort of odd the grandparents want her in their life so badly... I mean, If i ever have grand kids, I'd just want them to be happy, and if they were happier not visiting me every 7 days, so be it, but if these grandparents really LOVED their granddaughter, they wouldn't start this mess. I'm suspecting some sort of other reason...

What are these people like, outside of this experience Dirk? Have you met them? Heard other stories of them?

TwoBitWriter
2009-06-10, 01:40 PM
I agree.

This also makes me slightly ashamed to want to go into the legal profession (I had actually planned on being a lawyer). Unfortunately, from what I've seen, the British system isn't much different or that much better. :smallsigh:

At least you guys still get to wear cool fancy wigs, right?

Or has that not been in practice for a long time?

>.>

I hope it hasn't stopped... I don't want my imagined Merry Old England ruined.

Alteran
2009-06-10, 01:40 PM

That's disgusting. That's just...I don't think I can put into words how abhorrent I find that. I think in your situation I probably would have wanted to hurt somebody too. Having a family torn apart like that just because you can't afford a better lawyer is something that should never happen.

In the end, I think that the grandmother is most at fault here. We're talking about her granddaughter, not a shiny trinket that she can keep and cart around however she likes. This is a person, and she is just completely ****ing up this child's family life. I hope that the family can get this resolved in their favour, there's no way they should have to go through this.

Edit: With regards to Mrmud's point, I don't think she really does love her granddaughter. It looks to me like she just wants her granddaughter to love her. Either that, or she does really love her, and is just incredibly misguided about the right way to show that. I find the latter much less likely.

Fredthefighter
2009-06-10, 01:41 PM

>.>

I hope it hasn't stopped... I don't want my imagined Merry Old England ruined.

Actually, yes, we still have the cool fancy wigs. And long black cloaks. Sort of makes lawyers (or solicitors and barristers as we call them), look sort of like a demon from the abyss. :smallbiggrin:

Mr. Mud
2009-06-10, 01:44 PM
Lawyer jokes time?

Kid A: My daddy is a Firefighter
Kid B: My dad is a Doctor
Kid C: My dad is a Lawyer.
B: Wow! Honest?
C: Nope, the regular kind.

:smallamused:

Fredthefighter
2009-06-10, 01:46 PM
Lawyer jokes time?

That is a cool joke. :smallamused:
Fred no longer feels too much rage at the injustice he has heard about. He's still pretty mad, but jokes calm his endless fury. :smallbiggrin:

Mr. Mud
2009-06-10, 01:50 PM
That is a cool joke. :smallamused:
Fred no longer feels too much rage at the injustice he has heard about. He's still pretty mad, but jokes calm his endless fury. :smallbiggrin:

:smalltongue:. Happy to oblige. I have others... just not now. :smallamused:.
My endless fury, will only end with a 2 or 3 minute power nap, which I will take on my desk, right now.... :smallbiggrin:

Fredthefighter
2009-06-10, 01:53 PM
:smalltongue:. Happy to oblige. I have others... just not now. :smallamused:.
My endless fury, will only end with a 2 or 3 minute power nap, which I will take on my desk, right now.... :smallbiggrin:

My endless fury needs to end with history revision now. :smallsigh:
Seeya tomorrow people... maybe.

Mr. Mud
2009-06-10, 01:54 PM
My endless fury needs to end with history revision now. :smallsigh:
Seeya tomorrow people... maybe.

See you Fred. I hope all goes well. :smallbiggrin:.

(Nap Over) Scratch that, I'm heading out too... Big Nap time :smallbiggrin:.

Fair winds.

Dirk Kris
2009-06-10, 01:57 PM
There is a long history of bad blood there, but this is something else entirely. Anyway, the grandma tried to talk to Casey afterwards, and Casey was so calm (I was so proud of her!). She told her mother to never speak to her again, to forget that she had ever had a daughter. Then she told her that she hoped her mother was happy, because by forcing her into this visitation order she would get more time with Cassie but she had lost her daughter forever. Then she pointed to her belly (she's pregnant) and told her that she would never know her grandson either, and she hoped it was all worth it. Told her to forget her name unless it was going on her will, then walked away. Of course, by the time we got outside, she was hysterical, but right then - I coulda kissed her.

IMO? The grandma knows she screwed up and did Casey wrong, and now she's trying to make up for it with a new little girl. Casey also has a brother that grandma kicked out when he got to be too much trouble (he was 4 and has always lived with his dad since, with no contact). So it's like this woman wants another shot, but that's just NOT how it works. In spite of their past issues, Casey let her mother get to know and spend time with her granddaughter, which is the single biggest regret of her life now.

unstattedCommoner
2009-06-10, 02:14 PM

Counsel continue to wear court dress (dark suit, gown, wig, wing collar and bands), except in the Admiralty and Technology & Construction Courts, where business suits are worn.

Judges in civil courts (except Circuit Judges) now wear robes on the following pattern, without a wig, wing collar or bands:
http://www.judiciary.gov.uk/images/courtdress/hi-res/SCH_0643.JPG

The tabs at the neck are gold for the Court of Appeal, red for High Court Judges, Pink for High Court Masters, and blue for District Judges.

Circuit Judges continue to wear their traditional robes, but without wig, wing collar or bands.

Judges in the Crown Court continue to wear their traditional robes, with wig, wing collar and bands (save that High Court Judges will wear winter robes in winter and summer).

Examples of judicial court dress (http://www.judiciary.gov.uk/about_judiciary/court_dress/examples/index.htm)

It is likely that the judges of our new Supreme Court (due to open in October) will continue the practise of the House of Lords, and wear business suits. Counsel will wear court dress.

Lawyer jokes time?

The teacher goes round the class, asking what their parents do for a living. "My dad's a plumber," says one; "My dad's a doctor," and so forth, until the teacher comes to Johnny, who says, "My dad plays piano in a whore house."

This causes the teacher some concern, so after school she goes round to Johnny's house. His father answers the door. The teacher tells him what happened in class, and the father replies, "I'm really a lawyer; but how do you explain that to a child?"

BugFix
2009-06-10, 02:16 PM
Anybody to pass through a law school [...] should know the grandparents have no say in when they get to see their grandchild

Erm, what? That's not how it works at all. The "rights" in question aren't the parents' or the grandparents', but the child's. All the legal questions asked during things like divorce or custody hearings treat the caregivers' concerns as secondary to the child's. The first issue is always what is best for the child. Only after that do you start worrying about whether one person is seeing the child often enough, etc...

Parents don't get special rights here. Obviously we have no context here, so there's no way to judge, but I can think of a dozen reasons why a grandparent might need guaranteed visitation rights. Did they raise the child for an extended period? Are the parents criminals? Substance abusers? Homeless? What preferences does the child express?

I gotta be honest. I find your mental model of child care justice as totalitarian rule by the parents a little disturbing. The parents aren't the aggrieved party that needs protection here...

Nameless
2009-06-10, 02:17 PM
*Notices things are getting too serious*

LET’S GO CAMPING! *takes out a tent and a sleeping bag* ^o^

Thufir
2009-06-10, 02:21 PM
I can think of a dozen reasons why a grandparent might need guaranteed visitation rights. Did they raise the child for an extended period? Are the parents criminals? Substance abusers? Homeless?

Fair point, but conversely in this case, does the granbdparent have a history of kidnapping the child?

Damn. I don't want to type those words. Families should not be that messed up. :smallfrown:

Dragonrider
2009-06-10, 02:22 PM
The poor kid must be so confused right now.

Mr. Mud
2009-06-10, 02:28 PM
Erm, what? That's not how it works at all. The "rights" in question aren't the parents' or the grandparents', but the child's. All the legal questions asked during things like divorce or custody hearings treat the caregivers' concerns as secondary to the child's. The first issue is always what is best for the child. Only after that do you start worrying about whether one person is seeing the child often enough, etc...

Parents don't get special rights here. Obviously we have no context here, so there's no way to judge, but I can think of a dozen reasons why a grandparent might need guaranteed visitation rights. Did they raise the child for an extended period? Are the parents criminals? Substance abusers? Homeless? What preferences does the child express?

I gotta be honest. I find your mental model of child care justice as totalitarian rule by the parents a little disturbing. The parents aren't the aggrieved party that needs protection here...

I have no training, and I'm speaking strictly from experience here, but minors have... no legal rights. It's whoever has custody of child. In this case the parents...

If my child preferred to live with his uncle in Alaska, I'm perfectly able to tell him "No". That's what parenting is... :smallbiggrin:. If my child's preference is to be able to skateboard, but I tell him no, he has no right to change that. If I don't want him to skateboard, and he's living under my roof, and I'm his legal care provider/guardian... I can tell him he isn't allowed to. Until he's 18, he's under my control...

Dirk Kris
2009-06-10, 02:28 PM
*Notices things are getting too serious*

LET’S GO CAMPING! *takes out a tent and a sleeping bag* ^o^

Nommi-Name! Let's go!

>.>
<.<

I forgot my sleeping bag - can I share yours? :smallbiggrin:

Nameless
2009-06-10, 02:33 PM
Nommi-Name! Let's go!

>.>
<.<

I forgot my sleeping bag - can I share yours? :smallbiggrin:

You seem to turn everything into something sexual Kris. xD

But sure.

randman22222
2009-06-10, 02:39 PM
You seem to turn everything into something sexual Kris. xD

I'd turn your 'everything' sexual any day. :smalltongue:

That made no sense. :smallbiggrin:

Mr. Mud
2009-06-10, 02:41 PM

Yeah? Well, I'd make you senseless any day :smallbiggrin:.

*sees a pattern starting...*

BugFix
2009-06-10, 02:42 PM
I have no training, and I'm speaking strictly from experience here, but minors have... no rights. It's whoever has custody of child. In this case the parents...

No offense intended, really. I'm not trying to start a flame war. But this has to be corrected: that statement is flatly, baldly incorrect..

I think what you're trying to say is that minors don't have the right to self-determination in most legal matters. You can't vote (I'm just assuming you're a child here, correct me if I'm wrong). You can't sign contracts, you can't own real property, etc... Broadly, you have to do what your parents tell you. But that's a very limited license that parents have, and it ends the minute that parental authority runs into conflict with your fundamental rights (life, liberty, happiness, and all that jazz).

Those are the rights that actually matter, much more so than the trivial stuff above (even if it doesn't seem so trivial when you're 15). And it's those rights that courts are trying to protect with rulings like this.

Again, I have zero knowledge about this case other than what Dirk has posted, so I'm not going to make a judgment of my own about what should have happened. I'm just trying to explain why the court might have found differently than you expect, and why your reasoning about the rights of parents isn't correct.

Phase
2009-06-10, 02:42 PM
I have no training, and I'm speaking strictly from experience here, but minors have... no rights. It's whoever has custody of child. In this case the parents...

If my child preferred to live with his uncle in Alaska, I'm perfectly able to tell him "No". That's what parenting is... :smallbiggrin:. If my child's preference is to be able to skateboard, but I tell him no, he has no right to change that. If I don't want him to skateboard, and he's living under my roof, and I'm his legal care provider/guardian... I can tell him he isn't allowed to. Until he's 18, he's under my control...

Unless it's harmful to the child. Parents have total control, and for something to warrant court like this, the parent has to be doing something harmful for no adequate reason. While one could argue that keeping the girl from her grandparents is harmful, it is not harmful enough to warrant court and there is a really good reason.

Recaiden
2009-06-10, 02:44 PM

The creepy part is that it did make sense.

And Mud is basically right. Custody cases are supposed to give custody to the parent or caregiver that would be best for the child if there is a reason to take them away. Which there doesn't seem to be, at all, in this case. What the child wants barely enters into it.

Nameless
2009-06-10, 02:44 PM
Yeah? Well, I'd make you senseless any day :smallbiggrin:.

*sees a pattern starting...*

Yeah? Well, I have a bucket.

*sleeps in sleeping bag*
oommnomnomnomnomnomnom.

Dirk Kris
2009-06-10, 02:48 PM
@^: *finds own sleeping bag and curls up in it - alone*
*cries because Nommi-Name doesn't wanna cuddle*

There was never any reason to take Cassie away, and that was never threatened. The parents are good people who don't drink or smoke or do drugs, or else I wouldn't associate myself with them. And I've known them both a long, looooooong time.

The thing that kills Casey is this: her daughter is 4, and has no say-so. She knows Cassie loves her grandma and likes to spend time with her. And she's all for that. Hell, even AFTER the whole disappearing act, when the three months were up, she let them see each other again SOLELY because she knew it would make her daughter happy. And then this. She never wanted to keep grandma away forever, she just wants a say so as to who her child spends time with and when. Now, she has no control and is forced into what I find to be an extemely overly excessive visitation order.

Mr. Mud
2009-06-10, 02:49 PM
<snip>

Right, right. But Children do not have the right to choose whom they live with, or do not live with in this case, and I quote:

Minors are not allowed to choose with whom they wish to live.

A judge may speak with minor children about issues such as school, neighborhood, friends and so forth to learn more about the minor child's/children's current situation.

The final decision of custody is based on the best interest of the child/children and not on the preference of any of the involved parties.

Children are allowed to have a preference, as are the parents, but neither of those affect (or shouldn't anyway...) the ultimatum the judge gives.
I can tell my mother (I'm 17, thank you) "I want to be emancipated, today Mom." But that won't change the fact that I can't be, unless some major event has happened, in which my basic rights as a human or American are being infringed upon. (Unless of course, my parents disown me.)

BugFix
2009-06-10, 02:53 PM
Children are allowed to have a preference, as are the parents, but neither of those affect (or shouldn't anyway...) the ultimatum the judge gives.

Exactly. I think you're agreeing with me very loudly at this point. The courts make decisions on the basis on the child's welfare. The "rights of parents" aren't an issue in the process. Their preferences are noted because generally the parents' desires correlate with the child's interest, but they have no "rights".

Also, FWIW: I didn't post the text you quoted.

Nameless
2009-06-10, 02:56 PM
@^: *finds own sleeping bag and curls up in it - alone*
*cries because Nommi-Name doesn't wanna cuddle*

:smallfrown: *feels sorry for Kris*
*shuffles closer*

Mr. Mud
2009-06-10, 03:00 PM
When little Cassie isn't old enough to make choices, that protect her life liberty and happiness, her parents do for her. If the legal system does not see these choices fit, they step in. This is the case here, but I don't see how these choices made by Casey and her Husband infringe upon little Cassie's rights, when a parents job is to keep his or her child safe.

Also, FWIW: I didn't post the text you quoted.

I know, or else I would have said you did.

Dirk Kris
2009-06-10, 03:01 PM
:smallfrown: *feels sorry for Kris*
*shuffles closer*

No - I don't want your sympathy! I just want your friendship and maybe one day your lahv!

...wait, possible snuggles? HELLZ YEAH!

Fredthefighter
2009-06-10, 03:05 PM
I can haz hugglz plz? :smallbiggrin:
*Huggles nearest person*
I don't know what's good for me sometimes. I should be revising History USA 1929-1990, "How did the lives of black people change in America" and "What changing role did America play in world affairs". :smallsigh: But instead I'm here for another hour (because then it shall be nighty-night time for Freddyfoo) :smallbiggrin:

Mr. Mud
2009-06-10, 03:06 PM
*Huggles nearest person*
I don't know what's good for me sometimes. I should be revising History USA 1929-1990, "How did the lives of black people change in America" and "What changing role did America play in world affairs". :smallsigh: But instead I'm here for another hour (because then it shall be nighty-night time for Freddyfoo) :smallbiggrin:

Ou, Ou, I'm American! I know that! Can I help!? :smallbiggrin:. AIM/MSN me if you'd like.

Nameless
2009-06-10, 03:07 PM
No - I don't want your sympathy! I just want your friendship and maybe one day your lahv!

...wait, possible snuggles? HELLZ YEAH!

*moves closer and snuggles Kris* ^-^

@Fred: *huggles* :D

Phase
2009-06-10, 03:07 PM
Okay, I could do work for a project due tuesday....

Or I could completely veg out for six hours...

Cristo Meyers
2009-06-10, 03:08 PM
*Huggles nearest person*

See: Civil Rights Movement

World Affairs: See 4 different wars

...well...50% ain't bad...

Fredthefighter
2009-06-10, 03:09 PM
Ou, Ou, I'm American! I know that! Can I help!? :smallbiggrin:. AIM/MSN me if you'd like.

Don't worry. I have the book (and the exam isn't until tomorrow afternoon)

@Nameless: *Friendly huggles*. Fear the wrath of Mr.Huggleysnuggleykins the bear! :smalltongue:

@Cristo:
Topic 1 (Black people): Jim Crow Laws, Great Depression and New Deal, WW2, Civil Rights Movement of the 1960s (Martin Luther King, Malcom X, Montgomery Bus Boycott, Elizabeth Eckford, Linda Brown and James Meredith), black celebrities in the 80s. Change of pace throughout the entire period and differentiation.

Topic 2 (Foreign Policy): Isolationism (Early 1930s), Becoming Interventionist, (WW2), Move to containment (Korean War, Cuban Missile Crisis and Vietnam), Detente (Relaxation between USA, USSR and China), Deterence (Reagan, "Star Wars missile defence system", caused by Russian invasion of Afghanistan), 90s and the end of the Cold War. Change of pace throughout the entire period and differentiation.

Mr. Mud
2009-06-10, 03:10 PM
I don't have you MSN but, I'll find it out and message you ASAP

Fixed for you :smallbiggrin:.

Dirk Kris
2009-06-10, 03:11 PM
*moves closer and snuggles Kris* ^-^

@Fred: *huggles* :D

YAY! Just what I needed to dispel my anger.
*snuggles*

Nameless
2009-06-10, 03:12 PM
@Nameless: *Friendly huggles*. Fear the wrath of Mr.Huggleysnuggleykins the bear! :smalltongue:

AHHH! It's Mr. Huggleysnuggleykins the bear! EVERYBODY RUN!

:smalltongue:

YAY! Just what I needed to dispel my anger.
*snuggles*

Wait, we need to set up camp. D:

BugFix
2009-06-10, 03:12 PM
When little Cassie isn't old enough to make choices, that protect her life liberty and happiness, her parents do for her. If the legal system does not see these choices fit, they step in. This is the case here, but I don't see how these choices made by Casey and her Husband infringe upon little Cassie's rights, when a parents job is to keep his or her child safe.

Absolutely agree. But note your rhetorical pivot: you originally stated the the judge was incorrect as a matter of law because "everyone knows" that grandparents have no right to see their grandchildren. I pointed out that, no, that wasn't correct for pretty much the reasons you just elaborated.

Now you're simply arguing that the ruling was incorrect as a matter of fact because you don't see evidence justifying it. I don't disagree, actually. But those are different points.

Again, I'm trying desperately not to step into the specific situation here or express an opinion either way. No offense to Dirk or friends, but these things (IANAL, but I was exposed to a good bit of family law in my youth) are never, ever, simple or easy, and there are almost never clear good and bad guys (or winners and losers for that matter). Courts do the best they can, but frankly by the time a situation like this gets to a hearing (or worse, a trial!), it's almost certainly too late for any "good" result anyway. I'm guessing the Judge and legal system did the best they could with what they were given here. Slinging mud on an internet forum isn't going to help anyone.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-06-10, 03:13 PM
*Huggles nearest person*

Well, theres the Civil Rights movement, WWII, The Cold War, Korea, Vietnam and Desert Shield, right off the top of my head.
M'sure if I took some actual time to think I could help you out some more, there.
WWII, in my opinion is a major turning point, one should especially note the war in the Pacific Theatre, for the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, if nothing esle, as the Advent and use of the Nuclear Fission weaponry is, well, pretty major internationally.
I'm not enough of an Economist to blame the Great Depression on us, but I'm going to do so anyway.

EDIT:
Grenada may or may not have been before 1990. Desert Shield began and ended in 1990 if I remember correctly, and immediatly became Desert Storm, which lasted through '91.

Fredthefighter
2009-06-10, 03:17 PM
Fixed for you :smallbiggrin:.

Riiiiiiiiiiiight. :smallbiggrin:

Seriously though, I've got the book with all the info I need and past papers, exam technique sheets and even a mark scheme at my disposal here. I should be alright. (Aiming for 48+/60 tomorrow)
Done Paper 1 (About 60% of course)
Done Coursework (About 15% of course)
Paper 2 tomorrow afternoon (About 35% of the course)
I'm all set.

EDIT: Thanatos, I have my book, with everything I need, it doesn't cover Desert Storm (not much on the 90s except for the end of the Cold War and the withdrawal of the "Iron Curtain")

Mr. Mud
2009-06-10, 03:19 PM
Absolutely agree. But note your rhetorical pivot: you originally stated the the judge was incorrect as a matter of law because "everyone knows" that grandparents have no right to see their grandchildren. I pointed out that, no, that wasn't correct for pretty much the reasons you just elaborated.

If the parents don't want them too see the grandparents, for any reason they see fit, they don't have too.. Unless they substantially affect(ed) the minor in question's life. Maybe it's morally and ethically mandatory to visit Nana and Papa every so often, but it isn't legally... Usually.

Also,
Slinging mud on an internet forum isn't going to help anyone.

... :smallconfused:?

Thanatos 51-50
2009-06-10, 03:22 PM
Bad!
Always aim for 100%! Always!

In other news:
Storm Occured IN 1990 and ended in '91.
Shield occured during '90.

Thanatos 51-50 was born in '88, and the world let loose a collective shriek of terror.

Also: I'm remebering Seperate But Equal and the ERA, now, for some odd reason.
Also: "Mr. Gorbechav, tear down this Wall!"

My old man was IN desert Shield (and Storm) if you want to talk with him about it. It may or may not make you appear smart.

Fredthefighter
2009-06-10, 03:25 PM
Bad!
Always aim for 100%! Always!

In other news:
Storm Occured IN 1990 and ended in '91.
Shield occured during '90.

Thanatos 51-50 was born in '88, and the world let loose a collective shriek of terror.

Also: I'm remebering Seperate But Equal and the ERA, now, for some odd reason.

My old man was IN desert Shield (and Storm) if you want to talk with him about it. It may or may not make you appear smart.

100% is good too.
Hping for that anyway, it would be nice to have a fourth 100% from my GCSEs. In my last three Maths exams I got 100% in each one. :smallbiggrin:
And I did say 48 and above. (48 being the 80% boundary for an A* in History)

A Rainy Knight
2009-06-10, 03:26 PM
100% is good too.
Hping for that anyway, it would be nice to have a fourth 100% from my GCSEs. In my last three Maths exams I got 100% in each one. :smallbiggrin:
And I did say 48 and above. (48 being the 80% boundary for an A* in History)

80% is an A? How could anyone ever fail that class, then?

Mr. Mud
2009-06-10, 03:28 PM
If one got a 19% or below... Basically, you couldn't... even if you answered every question C, I'd bet you'd get a 22-27%... or at least you should. :smalltongue:

EDIT: After a few minutes I finally got the entendre in ARK's name... :smallbiggrin:.

Nameless
2009-06-10, 03:29 PM

Every class is different.
In my old school you needed 95% in art class to get an A.

Fredthefighter
2009-06-10, 03:32 PM

You would be surprised.

80% is the top grade.
70% is an A
60% is a B
50% is a C
40% is a D
30% is an E
20% is an F
10% is a G
Less than 10% is a U (FAIL).

Also, there are no tick box questions.
We have one paper with 3 sections, of which we do 2 of those questions.
The set up is the same.
Question a) Describe a key event (2 marks)
b) Describe a key event (4 marks)
c) Explain a key event (6 marks)
d) Explain and analyse a key event (8 marks)
e) Explain, analyse and evaluate chronologically. Mention differentiation and change of pace (10 marks)
We have 40 minutes to do all of that once. Then we do it again.

Mr. Mud
2009-06-10, 03:35 PM
I hope it's less elaborate as it sounds :smalltongue:.

A Rainy Knight
2009-06-10, 03:35 PM
After a few minutes I finally got the entendre in ARK's name... :smallbiggrin:.

Just now? I thought my pun would have already pained everyone who looked on it. :smalltongue:

@Fred: All right, so it's really more based on paper-writing ability than getting an actual percentage of questions right?

Nameless
2009-06-10, 03:36 PM
You would be surprised.

80% is the top grade.
70% is an A
60% is a B
50% is a C
40% is a D
30% is an E
20% is an F
10% is a G
Less than 10% is a U (FAIL).

Also, there are no tick box questions.
We have one paper with 3 sections, of which we do 2 of those questions.
The set up is the same.
Question a) Describe a key event (2 marks)
b) Describe a key event (4 marks)
c) Explain a key event (6 marks)
d) Explain and analyse a key event (8 marks)
e) Explain, analyse and evaluate chronologically. Mention differentiation and change of pace (10 marks)
We have 40 minutes to do all of that once. Then we do it again.

That's only for some classes. Most classes it's 60-65% for a C.
EDIT: Also, different schools have different pass grades. For my maths it was 60% for a C

Mr. Mud
2009-06-10, 03:37 PM
Just now? I thought my pun would have already pained everyone who looked on it. :smalltongue:

@Fred: All right, so it's really more based on paper-writing ability than getting an actual percentage of questions right?

I never really thoguht of it before... and for a sec I pictured a depressed knight or something, 'cause I was like "How can I Knight be rainy...... Oh... :smallannoyed:. I'm stupid.". :smallbiggrin:.

Fredthefighter
2009-06-10, 03:38 PM

Yep. Last question is quite easy to get 10 marks on (providing that you know the content).

And Nameless, yes, that is for some classes (just for History in my case). A* are usually the 90%+ boundary for my classes.

EDIT: Mrmud, don't worry, it IS less elaborate than it sounds.

Dirk Kris
2009-06-10, 03:40 PM
Slinging mud on an internet forum isn't going to help anyone.

*tries to lift Mrmud*
*EPIC FAIL*
No mud slinging here, nope.

Fredthefighter
2009-06-10, 03:52 PM
*tries to lift Mrmud*
*EPIC FAIL*

Great pun there Schmoopy Dirky.
It was, right on the money.
I guess you should've built of plane. Because you're obviously one of the right brothers.
Maybe you should, right it down (mispelling is intentional)
You hit the nail, right on the head there.
*End of shameless puns*

Mr. Mud
2009-06-10, 03:57 PM
Right you are Fred, they end now. :smallbiggrin:.

Fredthefighter
2009-06-10, 03:58 PM
Right you are Fred, they end now. :smallbiggrin:.

The right path is the right path. :smallbiggrin:

Mr. Mud
2009-06-10, 04:00 PM
Shipwrighty.

:smallconfused:.

(Mrmud has effectively killed the pun!)

Nameless
2009-06-10, 04:01 PM
*tries to lift Mrmud*
*EPIC FAIL*

Let me try. *lifts Mtmud up*

YAY NAMELESS IS STRONG! :smallbiggrin:

Fredthefighter
2009-06-10, 04:01 PM
Shipwrighty.

:smallconfused:.

Don't mention that, or someone might just write a mighty righteous ship about how right we are. :smallbiggrin: And it'll be wrong. :smalltongue:
(And Fred has bought it back to life again and then brutally yet accidentally killed it)

Mr. Mud
2009-06-10, 04:03 PM
Let me try. *lifts Mtmud up*

YAY NAMELESS IS STRONG! :smallbiggrin:

Mt. Mud has been lifted! *Roars*

A Rainy Knight
2009-06-10, 04:06 PM
Mt. Mud has been lifted! *Roars*

I think I'd try to use a series of ropes and pulleys to lift you up. Perhaps even some reinforced fishing line.

That's right, I'd use a good old-fashioned pickup line. :smalltongue:

Fredthefighter
2009-06-10, 04:08 PM
I think I'd try to use a series of ropes and pulleys to lift you up. Perhaps even some reinforced fishing line.

Heck yeah! :smalltongue:

And on another note. Goodnight all. :smallbiggrin:

Mr. Mud
2009-06-10, 04:09 PM

Are you legs tired there, Mud? 'Cause you been runnin' through my mind alllllll dayyyyyy. :smallbiggrin:.

I have once again been lifted! (My mood anyways)

A Rainy Knight
2009-06-10, 04:11 PM
:smallbiggrin:.

I have once again been lifted! (My mood anyways)

ARK: Hey, you look like my first wife.
MM: How many have you had?
ARK: None.

(Yes, I know you're a guy. :smalltongue:)

Mr. Mud
2009-06-10, 04:14 PM
How about some physics pickup lines:
What's your resonance frequency?
You're more special than relativity.
My lab bench, or yours?
I might be a physics major, but I'm no Bohr in bed!

The last one always gets me :smallbiggrin:.

@ Nameless: I don't think they make 'jumpers' bigger than the one I have on... :smallamused:.

Nameless
2009-06-10, 04:15 PM
I'm wearing a jumper that's twice my size...
Everyone now must wear a jumper that's twice their size. :smallbiggrin:

Alteran
2009-06-10, 04:22 PM
How about some physics pickup lines:
What's your resonance frequency?
You're more special than relativity.
My lab bench, or yours?
I might be a physics major, but I'm no Bohr in bed!

If I asked you to go Ohm with me, would there be any resistance? :smallamused:

Mr. Mud
2009-06-10, 04:24 PM

Me and You = Grand Unification :smallbiggrin:.

Phase
2009-06-10, 04:29 PM

I wish I were a derivative so I could lie tangent to your curves.

Alteran
2009-06-10, 04:29 PM
Me and You = Grand Unification :smallbiggrin:.

I'll unify your grand any time...um. Hmm. That didn't work out too well.

I'll just go with a "That's what she said.", I guess.

KilltheToy
2009-06-10, 04:52 PM
Well, these physics-based double entendres are completly over my head, so I'm going to do what Alteran did and go with "That's what she said".

You'd think reading two webcomics written by people that make advanced physics jokes, one of them written by a man with a degree in physics would help here. I guess not.

Mr. Mud
2009-06-10, 05:02 PM
Well, these physics-based double entendres are completly over my head, so I'm going to do what Alteran did and go with "That's what she said".

You'd think reading two webcomics written by people that make advanced physics jokes, one of them written by a man with a degree in physics would help here. I guess not.

Physics and Webcomics?! LINK! :smallbiggrin:.

Coidzor
2009-06-10, 05:48 PM
Other than xkcd? Interesting.

Rutskarn
2009-06-10, 06:27 PM
Probably Irregular Webcomic! he's talking about.

Phase
2009-06-10, 06:57 PM
Is the exclamation mark really an integral part of the title there, Rutskarn?

Mr. Mud
2009-06-10, 07:10 PM
Random Thought:

Do cat owners get a +5 to snuggle checks? I mean, it'd only make sense... :smalltongue:.

Dragonrider
2009-06-10, 07:14 PM

Yahoo wishes that everyone would say "Yahoo!", and maybe it's caught on. :smalltongue:

KilltheToy
2009-06-10, 07:58 PM
Probably Irregular Webcomic! he's talking about.

You, good sir, are correct. 'Twas the first webcomic I read.

Just for you, Mrmud: http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/

Yes, again. It is part of the title. Creates all kinds of problems when it's at the end of a sentence.

Coidzor
2009-06-10, 08:38 PM
Random Thought:

Do cat owners get a +5 to snuggle checks? I mean, it'd only make sense... :smalltongue:.

No. Unfortunately we just get a slight resistance to cat suffocation at the cost of taking minuses to our will saves versus cats.

cycoris
2009-06-10, 08:40 PM
*is ashamed*

I've been a bad RissyITP™ lately.

In my defense, I've been abandoning all of you for Terry Pratchett and Diana Wynne Jones. Finished The Merlin Conspiracy this morning and have just started Thief of Time. I'll probably read it tonight after I watch Angel with DeeRee and her brother.

To what have you all been up? :smalltongue:

...No, I am no longer on Preposition Patrol, I just do that for my own amusement.

Mr. Mud
2009-06-10, 08:40 PM
No. Unfortunately we just get a slight resistance to cat suffocation at the cost of taking minuses to our will saves versus cats.

I guess... I mean, we probably get some animal empathy points to? And Immunity to Cat Scratch Fever (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW8S58CYQqs) :smallamused:.

billtodamax
2009-06-10, 08:41 PM
Kitty? Where! *glomps kitty*

Coidzor
2009-06-10, 08:47 PM
I guess... I mean, we probably get some animal empathy points to? And Immunity to Cat Scratch Fever (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW8S58CYQqs) :smallamused:.

No one is immune to cat scratch fever. Not even if they have a kitty of their very own. Everyone is affected by it somehow.

It's just some people experience entirely negative and psychologically devastating effects from it. Y'know the ones I'm talking about.

Mr. Mud
2009-06-10, 08:51 PM
No one is immune to cat scratch fever. Not even if they have a kitty of their very own. Everyone is affected by it somehow.

It's just some people experience entirely negative and psychologically devastating effects from it. Y'know the ones I'm talking about.

You mean Nugent-Hair? :smallamused:.

Phase
2009-06-10, 09:21 PM
In my defense, I've been abandoning all of you for Terry Pratchett and Diana Wynne Jones. Finished The Merlin Conspiracy this morning and have just started Thief of Time. I'll probably read it tonight after I watch Angel with DeeRee and her brother.

My gods! Th-the nerd entertainment, it's so overpowering!

Dragonrider
2009-06-10, 11:42 PM
My gods! Th-the nerd entertainment, it's so overpowering!

Isn't it wonderful? :smallbiggrin:

The girl who plays Saffron in Firefly is also an extra in episode 15, season 1 of Angel.

I'm pretty sure. It looks like her.

*goes to check*

Edit: YEP. :smallbiggrin:

Phase
2009-06-10, 11:54 PM

The girl who plays Saffron in Firefly is also an extra in episode 15, season 1 of Angel.

*goes to check*

I would say that's the nerdiest observation ever, but I've been told I made the nerdiest observation ever.

For the record, I noticed that the fifth episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer uses the same sound clip about 30 minutes in as the first appearance of the Antlion Guard in Half-Life 2, "Sand Traps."

Mr. Mud
2009-06-10, 11:55 PM
In other Firefly news, my Captain Mal trench coat finally was delivered... To the post office. Should be here by Friday :smalltongue:. Looks SOMETHING like this.

http://utopiabase.com/images/P1090411.jpg

Rutskarn
2009-06-11, 12:45 AM
I would say that's the nerdiest observation ever, but I've been told I made the nerdiest observation ever.

For the record, I noticed that the fifth episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer uses the same sound clip about 30 minutes in as the first appearance of the Antlion Guard in Half-Life 2, "Sand Traps."

A-yup, I stand by what I said earlier. That just about does it.

Sub_Zero
2009-06-11, 05:03 AM

*goes to check*

Did you know they originally wanted to cast Nicholas Brendon as Mal in Firefly but he was too busy with filming Buffy. Just something I saw on his imdb (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0107183/bio)

Fredthefighter
2009-06-11, 05:23 AM
Hey all. How are you wonderful people?

I've got a History exam in 2 hours 20mins :smallsigh:. And then I will only have 2 exams left after it (spread out over 2 weeks). :smallbiggrin:

randman22222
2009-06-11, 05:34 AM

I've got a History exam in 2 hours 20mins :smallsigh:. And then I will only have 2 exams left after it (spread out over 2 weeks). :smallbiggrin:

What two exams?

Fredthefighter
2009-06-11, 05:35 AM
What two exams?

Mathematics (Level 10, which is top grade stuff) and Graphic Products.

Phase
2009-06-11, 05:39 AM

I would reply, but I am neither wonderful (my heart is filled with darkness and kitten huffing) nor a person (Moon!).

Fredthefighter
2009-06-11, 05:42 AM
I would reply, but I am neither wonderful (my heart is filled with darkness and kitten huffing) nor a person (Moon!).

You just made me want to go hug my dog for some reason. I like my dog. :smallbiggrin:
And I am sure that you are a wonderful Moon. :smallbiggrin:

Phase
2009-06-11, 05:45 AM
You just made me want to go hug my dog for some reason. I like my dog. :smallbiggrin:
And I am sure that you are a wonderful Moon. :smallbiggrin:

This statement is true, I am the best moon.

Suck it Phobos. You too, Deimos. And you, Charon.

Don't get me started on all those dots around the Gas Planets.

Fredthefighter
2009-06-11, 05:49 AM
This statement is true, I am the best moon.

Suck it Phobos. You too, Deimos. And you, Charon.

Don't get me started on all those dots around the Gas Planets.

Cake for the Moon god!
Sunlight is for the weak!
:smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

InaVegt
2009-06-11, 05:54 AM
Cake for the Moon god!
Sunlight is for the weak!
:smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

But, but, but the cake is a lie.

billtodamax
2009-06-11, 05:56 AM
Aw, you beat me to it.

Fredthefighter
2009-06-11, 06:17 AM
But, but, but the cake is a lie.

OH NOES! :smallbiggrin:
Oh well, I'll get the portal-guns and the orange jumpsuits. :smallbiggrin:

Cristo Meyers
2009-06-11, 07:20 AM
jumpy jumpy jumpy jumpy jumpy jumpy jumpy jumpy
mushroom mush-room
Gaaaaahhh, I don't find out if my freelance writing gig will pan out until after the regular job is over...another 8 hours of waiting :smallfrown:

Freakin' nerves are shot right now...

TwoBitWriter
2009-06-11, 07:43 AM
mushroom mush-room
Gaaaaahhh, I don't find out if my freelance writing gig will pan out until after the regular job is over...another 8 hours of waiting :smallfrown:

*considers shattering already-stretched nerves*

Nah... I think I will throw this dog a bone. :smallbiggrin:

Dirk Kris
2009-06-11, 07:53 AM
mushroom mush-room

*keeps fingers crossed*
If anyone deserves it/has the talent for it, it's you.
Now if only we could get your drinking under control... :smalltongue:

TwoBitWriter
2009-06-11, 08:00 AM
*keeps fingers crossed*
If anyone deserves it/has the talent for it, it's you.
Now if only we could get your drinking under control... :smalltongue:

Every good writer has to have a vice.

Seriously, if not alcohol, what else could he do?

Video gaming doesn't count.

CurlyKitGirl
2009-06-11, 08:36 AM
*staggers in*

So, last night I was 100% positive that my history exam was in the afternoon, meaning that I could revise all today for it. Paranoia struck at half nine last night. So I check my Statement of Entry.
My exam started at nine fifteen.
Panic!
I got in two hours revision last night, then set my alarm clock for half five in the morning (:smallweep:) and revised for an extra hour this morning before I left the house to walk to the bus station whilst eating brekkie.
I arrive at the bus station at seven, wait for the X (it guarantees getting there early when compared to the normal bus or the college bus) and get on it and seven fifteen. Dead on time.
By this time the normal bus had just pulled out of the station, the college bus doesn't arrive 'til eight and often gets into college late too.
I show the driver my pass.
He says I can't get on. :eek:
Apparently Mr. Rules Lawyer knew that the 'pass only works after nine thirty if it's on a day with a college bus running' but seeing as I had an exam today and the bus was fairly empty he'd let me on.
Thus implying that if there were more people on the bus he'd let me miss the start of my exam (I know this because my college bus came in at nine twenty five today). ANd he did this to four other people on the way up.
Jerkass Rule Lawyer.
Furthermore, he was a lying jerkass as the terms and conditions on the back of the pass say nothing of the kind.
It viable every day of the week both in and out of term times within the issue dates.
How do I know?
Not only have I read those terms and conditions four or five times, but I've always used my pass either to get in absurdly early so I don't miss the beginning of my exams or before nine twenty as I'd missed the college bus.
And he threatened each one of us that he would cut our pass in half if we tried to get on a non - college bus before nine thirty on a college day.
Needless to say, I was not pleased when I got into college.
I got into the internet, came here and decided to post this rant around half eightish.
Logged in, immediately typed this up, went to post and I was logged out. I thought that only happened after X amount of inactivity. So annoyed.

I sat the exam.
Which I believed I rocked most mightily considering my scanty revision time. And it was a source paper.
One question, two parts:
a) What issues were there with the succession crisis of 1553? Use Sources 1, 2 and 3 as well as your own knowledge.
b) How far was religion the main cause of the unrest in the years 1547 - 1558? Use Sources 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 and your own knowledge.

The succession crisis was easy, enough. Only lasted a month at most and very sequential. Easily outlined issues. I questioned certain aspects of provenance as you're meant to, cross - referenced, had loads of own knowledge and even decided which issues were the most important.
And for the last one. Could there be a better question? Hell, no! There were so many things to focus on: economics, social, political, religious, xenophobic, even a bit of military and foreign policy; you could even chuck on Henry VIII's legacy!
I question one or two of the sources, some provenance, I believe I did very well.
Especially considering the circumstances.
I even got the Edward's and William's separated properly!
Edward Seymour, Earl of Hertford(hire?), later Duke of Somerset, Lord Protector and first 'regent' during Edward VI's reign.
[Can't remember his first name] Dudley, Earl of Warwick, later DUke of Northumberland, Lord President of the Council and second 'regent' during Edward VI's reign.
And it's William Paget who was Lord Treasurer under Northumberland and Mary, not William Paget who was Lord Something or Other under Elizabeth's reign and also was around doing political stuff in Mary's time. And it wasn't the other William P either.
No originality in names. And too many dates and treaties.

And to top it all off, my pasty is too hot to eat yet. :smallfrown:

randman22222
2009-06-11, 09:01 AM
*staggers in*

So, last night I was 100% positive that my history exam was in the afternoon, meaning that I could revise all today for it. Paranoia struck at half nine last night. So I check my Statement of Entry.
My exam started at nine fifteen.
Panic!
I got in two hours revision last night, then set my alarm clock for half five in the morning (:smallweep:) and revised for an extra hour this morning before I left the house to walk to the bus station whilst eating brekkie.
I arrive at the bus station at seven, wait for the X (it guarantees getting there early when compared to the normal bus or the college bus) and get on it and seven fifteen. Dead on time.
By this time the normal bus had just pulled out of the station, the college bus doesn't arrive 'til eight and often gets into college late too.
I show the driver my pass.
He says I can't get on. :eek:
Apparently Mr. Rules Lawyer knew that the 'pass only works after nine thirty if it's on a day with a college bus running' but seeing as I had an exam today and the bus was fairly empty he'd let me on.
Thus implying that if there were more people on the bus he'd let me miss the start of my exam (I know this because my college bus came in at nine twenty five today). ANd he did this to four other people on the way up.
Jerkass Rule Lawyer.
Furthermore, he was a lying jerkass as the terms and conditions on the back of the pass say nothing of the kind.
It viable every day of the week both in and out of term times within the issue dates.
How do I know?
Not only have I read those terms and conditions four or five times, but I've always used my pass either to get in absurdly early so I don't miss the beginning of my exams or before nine twenty as I'd missed the college bus.
And he threatened each one of us that he would cut our pass in half if we tried to get on a non - college bus before nine thirty on a college day.
Needless to say, I was not pleased when I got into college.
I got into the internet, came here and decided to post this rant around half eightish.
Logged in, immediately typed this up, went to post and I was logged out. I thought that only happened after X amount of inactivity. So annoyed.

I sat the exam.
Which I believed I rocked most mightily considering my scanty revision time. And it was a source paper.
One question, two parts:
a) What issues were there with the succession crisis of 1553? Use Sources 1, 2 and 3 as well as your own knowledge.
b) How far was religion the main cause of the unrest in the years 1547 - 1558? Use Sources 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 and your own knowledge.

The succession crisis was easy, enough. Only lasted a month at most and very sequential. Easily outlined issues. I questioned certain aspects of provenance as you're meant to, cross - referenced, had loads of own knowledge and even decided which issues were the most important.
And for the last one. Could there be a better question? Hell, no! There were so many things to focus on: economics, social, political, religious, xenophobic, even a bit of military and foreign policy; you could even chuck on Henry VIII's legacy!
I question one or two of the sources, some provenance, I believe I did very well.
Especially considering the circumstances.
I even got the Edward's and William's separated properly!
Edward Seymour, Earl of Hertford(hire?), later Duke of Somerset, Lord Protector and first 'regent' during Edward VI's reign.
[Can't remember his first name] Dudley, Earl of Warwick, later DUke of Northumberland, Lord President of the Council and second 'regent' during Edward VI's reign.
And it's William Paget who was Lord Treasurer under Northumberland and Mary, not William Paget who was Lord Something or Other under Elizabeth's reign and also was around doing political stuff in Mary's time. And it wasn't the other William P either.
No originality in names. And too many dates and treaties.

And to top it all off, my pasty is too hot to eat yet. :smallfrown:

Sounds like despite fate or coincidence or cause and effect's conspiracies against you, you managed to knock it out, first round. That... is good. :smallsmile:
*Hugs.* Hope you feel better, especially now that you've got food and the exam behind you.

Mr. Mud
2009-06-11, 09:15 AM
Okay, RB I really need you guys. My girlfriend is coming over today, and we don't have a movie to watch, and therefore, she suggested shed bring Twilight and/or some other chick flick... The latter is fine, but the former... I don't wanna risk it... I need a good movie, fast :smalleek:.

Cristo Meyers
2009-06-11, 09:17 AM
Okay, RB I really need you guys. My girlfriend is coming over today, and we don't have a movie to watch, and therefore, she suggested shed bring Twilight and/or some other chick flick... The latter is fine, but the former... I don't wanna risk it... I need a good movie, fast :smalleek:.

Suck it up and get used to it :smalltongue:

...ok, ok, fine, helpful thoughts, helpful thoughts...

Ocean's 11 or 13

TwoBitWriter
2009-06-11, 09:20 AM

Sleepless in Seattle is always a classic. Got me to second base, that movie did. :smallamused:

Mr. Mud
2009-06-11, 09:23 AM
Hmm... Okay Sleepless in Seattle or maybe O13. I was thinking about you know, watching the worst click flick she could throw at me, and then throwing on Star Trek or the D&D TV series or something :smallbiggrin:.

And Twoobs, I stole second during the OLD superman :smallamused:.

Dirk Kris
2009-06-11, 09:34 AM
PS I Love You - gets 'em every time.

CurlyKitGirl
2009-06-11, 09:35 AM
Sounds like despite fate or coincidence or cause and effect's conspiracies against you, you managed to knock it out, first round. That... is good. :smallsmile:
*Hugs.* Hope you feel better, especially now that you've got food and the exam behind you.

Fate is out to get me, Fate with his black, black, black eyes; I just hope I did as well in MEd His as I hope I did. Sure, I only need 58/120 (something like a D/low C) to just scrape into an A, but I don't want to scrape!
And I do feel better, the pasty was delicious, as was my drink, and now I'm settling down to watch a good show.

@Mud: AAAAaaaaaahhhhh!
Pick any film. Does she like comedy? Put on a Python? It doesn't matter how bad the film is as long as it isn't Twilight.

unstattedCommoner
2009-06-11, 09:39 AM

Casablanca
The Court Jester

Coidzor
2009-06-11, 09:41 AM
Some people just hate their lives so much they have to try to take it out on other people, after all.

Pulp Fiction. ... Hmm, my mind is blanking out in terms of other movies though.

Supagoof
2009-06-11, 09:41 AM
Go with a classic, like Casablanca. That'll be enough to stun her away from your true goal, which is to avoid watching Twilight. Sleepless in Seattle is great, but she may wonder why you chose it, as normally no guy chooses to watch a known chick flick. Casablanca though, you can say you always wondered what the hype was about. (W/Sleepless you know what the hype is about.)

That should get you to third base. :smalltongue: (Really? No, not really.)

wadledo
2009-06-11, 09:44 AM
I third Casablanca.

Great movie, and very touching.

Mr. Mud
2009-06-11, 09:46 AM
I've seen Casablanca... And I think she has too... which raises the chance of her retorting "Nah, how about twilight?" which inadvertently nails me to the "Cross of Sparkling Night Walkers"... How about... some comedy? Like something so out of line that she won't want to watch a movie again... Stepbrothers! :smallbiggrin:

And Madam Curly, are you saying... Uwe [he who must not be named] > Twilight?! :smalleek::smalltongue:

randman22222
2009-06-11, 09:50 AM
I've seen Casablanca... And I think she has too... which raises the chance of her retorting "Nah, how about twilight?" which inadvertently nails me to the "Cross of Sparkling Night Walkers"... How about... some comedy? Like something so out of line that she won't want to watch a movie again... Stepbrothers! :smallbiggrin:

And Madam Curly, are you saying... Uwe [he who must not be named] > Twilight?! :smalleek::smalltongue:

If she says that, I'd agree. Uwe Boll is so bad that you just have to laugh at his sequence of images and sound clips put into DVDs. Twilight was a serious attempt at a movie.

Cristo Meyers
2009-06-11, 09:50 AM

If she won't, I will.

Give me Alone in the Dark over Twilight any day...

Fun fact I discovered while walking through the mall last weekend: the second Twilight movie is actually going Straight to DVD.

Madmal
2009-06-11, 09:52 AM

YES
may i be spared, Lord, but yes.:smallsigh:

wadledo
2009-06-11, 09:52 AM
You could always try Brazil.
That's technically a comedy.

Mr. Mud
2009-06-11, 09:55 AM

Since I don't know the spec's of your lesson, answer the following :belkar::

When was Pearl Harbor? Date Month and Year.
Describe the Civil Rights movement?
What motives did we have going into Korea?
Who was Martin Luther King jr., and who was Malcolm X?

--------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: Okay now thinking this through when I say it, but some of Boll's stuff is amusing, as Rand said, because it's so bad... And I mean, if you're a horny teenage girl, then twilight can't be bad either. It'd just be kind of weird to see my girlfriend going gaga for Edmin or whatnot.

*get's hit with a brick for finding Boll's work amusing*

Coidzor
2009-06-11, 09:56 AM
...Ah Religion-Wanking....

Hehe.... that just reminded me of Michael Bayspolsions!

And how awkward it is mentally when your brain is trying to decode what sex someone is versus whether they're trying to put forward one gender or another. Especially when you thought you'd gotten the upgrade where you just ignored those oddities until they forced themselves into your face to make asses of themselves.

If she says that, I'd agree. Uwe Boll is so bad that you just have to laugh at his sequence of images and sound clips put into DVDs. Twilight was a serious attempt at a movie.

There's nothing serious about a movie where they have to coat an actor in honey-cured turkey breast in order to get another actor to give him a hickey. MULTIPLE TIMES.

...This becomes even more applicable now... but...

Christo: Ahhh.... Religion-Wanking.

...Edit: Shouldn't you be insulted that she wants to watch a movie to get horny about some other guy right in front of you? :smallconfused:

unstattedCommoner
2009-06-11, 09:58 AM
I've seen Casablanca... And I think she has too... which raises the chance of her retorting "Nah, how about twilight?" which inadvertently nails me to the "Cross of Sparkling Night Walkers"... How about... some comedy?

As I say, The Court Jester (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049096/)

Or there's always The Princess Bride.

Mr. Mud
2009-06-11, 10:00 AM
As I say, The Court Jester (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049096/)

Or there's always The Princess Bride.

I called blockbuster, and they didn't have either... Thankful, I think I actually have Princess Bride, but from what they told me, The Court Jester is a tad hard to find in these parts :smallcool:.

Cristo Meyers
2009-06-11, 10:01 AM
Christo: Ahhh.... Religion-Wanking.

:smallconfused:

I don't catch your meaning.

Fredthefighter
2009-06-11, 10:02 AM

Who was Martin Luther King jr, and who was Malcolm X?

A bit late now, I've done the exam. However:
Pearl Harbour - December 1941. Can't remember the exact date, but this isn't required for the exam. I do know however that 2403 people were killed, 188 planes were destroyed, 153 planes were damaged and 8 battleships were sunk. This was the reason for America joining WW2, but they had no reason to declare war on Germany, so Hitler declared war on America at a later date.
Civil Rights Movement - Period of time (1950 - 1970) where many campaigns for civil rights for black people took place, including the Montgomery Bus Boycott, and events like when Linda Brown's father took the Topeka Board of Education to court for being "Colour-blind", as his daughter had to walk 20 blocks to get to school despite their being a white-only school a very short distance away.
Korea - Policy of containment, preventing the domino effect. Truman Doctrine promised any country that was threatened by internal or external forces the aid of the US military.
Reverend Martin Luther King Jr - Civil Rights Activist. Inspired by Ghandi. Used non-violent protest such as freedom marches, the march on washington, his involvement in the freedom rides and the Montgomery Bus Boycott.

CurlyKitGirl
2009-06-11, 10:03 AM

Yes.
In this case, he is better than Twilight.

Who was Martin Luther King jr, and who was Malcolm X?

Sorry, UK is not that simple.
As far as I recall, Fred is doing Equal Rights in America or something like that about the rights of blacks in America.
And the other would be the one about Britain during the inter - war period. Or during WWI for that matter.
If they're doing the same kind of thing I did. For the record, our school did Germany 1918 - 1945 and UK 1910 - 39 or something like that.

And our GCSE questions, and in fact almost all our exams from then on consist of either short essay answers (ranging from one to one and a half A4 pages at GCSE (more or less) to three or four pages at AS/A Level) or long essay questions.
Examples of that would be questions such as:
Analyse Sources X, Y and Z. To what extent could it be said the Treay of Versailles was responsible for Germany's problems during the inter - war period?
But that wouldn't be the topic of Fred's paper today. That would have been last week?

EDIT:

That could have been better timed eh? Well, how'd it go Fred?

Fredthefighter
2009-06-11, 10:06 AM
Yes.

As far as I recall, Fred is doing Equal Rights in America or something like that about the rights of blacks in America.
And the other would be the one about Britain during the inter - war period. Or during WWI for that matter.
If they're doing the same kind of thing I did. For the record, our school did Germany 1918 - 1945 and UK 1910 - 39 or something like that.

And our GCSE questions, and in fact almost all our exams from then on consist of either short essay answers (ranging from one to one and a half A4 pages at GCSE (more or less) to three or four pages at AS/A Level) or long essay questions.
Analyse Sources X, Y and Z. To what extent could it be said the Treay of Versailles was responsible for Germany's problems during the inter - war period?
But that wouldn't be the topic of Fred's paper today. That would have been last week?

Britain WW1 was my coursework. (Home front and Western Front)
Last week was Germany 1929-1945 (Weimar, Nazi rise to power, Life in Nazi Germany and Germany in WW2) and USA 1910-29 (Racial problems, Foreign Policy, Economy and Social change). Section A was the analyse sources bit, Section B was content.
Today was USA 1929-90 (Change in the lives of black Americans and America's changing role in foreign affairs). This was based completely on content, pace of change and differentiation.
History is finished now.

EDIT: Curly, it went swimmingly, it wasn't too hard, but it wasn't too easy as to make me paranoid. I finished with roughly 5-10 minutes to go.

Mr. Mud
2009-06-11, 10:08 AM
Yes.

EDIT:

That could have been better timed eh? Well, how'd it go Fred?

:smallconfused:? It seems like 3 essays, when there are other ways of assessing knowledge is a bit overkill. But good all the same, I wish we had exams more like yours :smalltongue:.
And I guess I read you're post wrong Fred, as I thought you had to take them soon :smalltongue:.

Fredthefighter
2009-06-11, 10:09 AM
:smallconfused:? It seems like 3 essays, when there are other ways of assessing knowledge is a bit overkill. But good all the same, I wish we had exams more like yours :smalltongue:.
And I guess I read you're post wrong Fred, as I thought you had to take them soon :smalltongue:.

Nah, all I've got left now is Module 10 Maths (Additional points to the "bank") and Section B of my Graphic Products exam (30% of the course)

Coidzor
2009-06-11, 10:10 AM
:smallconfused:

I don't catch your meaning.

Twilight! Religion Wanking! Twilight! Religion Wanking!

More Religion than your body has room for!

Power Running! Power Steering! Power Spawning Babies! You'll have so many babies! 400 babies!

Need I go on?

Mr. Mud
2009-06-11, 10:11 AM
Twilight! Religion Wanking! Twilight! Religion Wanking!

More Religion than your body has room for!

Power Running! Power Steering! Power Spawning Babies! You'll have so many babies! 400 babies!

Need I go on?

:smallbiggrin:!! Powerthirst (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRuNxHqwazs) is that Coid? Made with Lightning. REAL LIGHTNING

*Powerthirst might be a bit profane... Watch at your own discretion.

EDIT: MY blog has topped the 500 views mark! *gasp*

Fredthefighter
2009-06-11, 10:15 AM
:smallbiggrin:!! Powerthirst (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRuNxHqwazs) is that Coid? Made with Lightning. REAL LIGHTNING

*Powerthirst might be a bit profane... Watch at your own discretion.

Give Shockolate to your babies and they'll be good at SPORTS! Make them run ABNORMALLY FAST! People will watch them running and think they're KENYANS! They'll run as fast as KENYANS! They'll race with actual KENYANS! And then there'll be a tie and they'll get deported back to KENYA!
:smallbiggrin:

Sub_Zero
2009-06-11, 10:21 AM
Nah, all I've got left now is Module 10 Maths (Additional points to the "bank") and Section B of my Graphic Products exam (30% of the course)

Ha, I only have an additional science module left, and that isn't until next week!

Fredthefighter
2009-06-11, 10:25 AM
Ha, I only have an additional science module left, and that isn't until next week!

I did my additional science (B4, C4 and P4) yesterday afternoon.
My next two exams are on a "one a week" basis.
I still have Maths revision lessons Tuesdays 12.00 - 13.00 and Thursdays 9.20 - 10.30.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-06-11, 10:36 AM
A bit late now, I've done the exam. However:
Pearl Harbour - December 1941. Can't remember the exact date, but this isn't required for the exam. I do know however that 2403 people were killed, 188 planes were destroyed, 153 planes were damaged and 8 battleships were sunk. This was the reason for America joining WW2, but they had no reason to declare war on Germany, so Hitler declared war on America at a later date.
Civil Rights Movement - Period of time (1950 - 1970) where many campaigns for civil rights for black people took place, including the Montgomery Bus Boycott, and events like when Linda Brown's father took the Topeka Board of Education to court for being "Colour-blind", as his daughter had to walk 20 blocks to get to school despite their being a white-only school a very short distance away.
Korea - Policy of containment, preventing the domino effect. Truman Doctrine promised any country that was threatened by internal or external forces the aid of the US military.
Reverend Martin Luther King Jr - Civil Rights Activist. Inspired by Ghandi. Used non-violent protest such as freedom marches, the march on washington, his involvement in the freedom rides and the Montgomery Bus Boycott.

Partial credit for Pearl Harbor. The date, which is VERY important, was December 7th, 1941. It was a Sunday. This is also important. The Japanese used shallow-water torpedos to destroy many of the Battleships, which were thought to be safe due to the fact that the hardor was thougt too shallow for the ships to actually be torpedoed.
One of the more famous losses was the USS Arizona.

Civil Rights - I'm going to assume you're correct. I recall very little beyond "Seperate but equal", and Rev. King, in all honesty, mostly because segregation was so flat-out stupid and insane that I don't care to study the bigots behind it. Also that the whole affair took far, far too long.

Korea - Textbook correct.

Rev King - I'm surprised you didn't mention the famous "I have a dream" speech, the numerous failed assassinations, or the one successful assassination.

Malcom X - I see no mention of Malcom X in your reply.

3.5/5

Sub_Zero
2009-06-11, 10:37 AM
I did my additional science (B4, C4 and P4) yesterday afternoon.
My next two exams are on a "one a week" basis.
I still have Maths revision lessons Tuesdays 12.00 - 13.00 and Thursdays 9.20 - 10.30.

Mabye it's not additional science the. It's B6, C6, P6.

Rockphed
2009-06-11, 10:39 AM
Looks like I am starting the next semester just as everybody else ends this one:smallfrown: Why did I sign up for 2nd semester Calculus and an english class over the summer? I must be really crazy.

Dirk Kris
2009-06-11, 10:42 AM

Rev King - I'm surprised you didn't mention the famous "I have a dream" speech, the numerous failed assassinations, or the one successful assassination.

3.5/5

Hey - quit chatting and edit your RP post in WoD, dammit! :smalltongue:

Fredthefighter
2009-06-11, 10:42 AM
Partial credit for Pearl Harbor. The date, which is VERY important, was December 7th, 1941. It was a Sunday. This is also important. The Japanese used shallow-water torpedos to destroy many of the Battleships, which were thought to be safe due to the fact that the hardor was thougt too shallow for the ships to actually be torpedoed.
One of the more famous losses was the USS Arizona.

Civil Rights - I'm going to assume you're correct. I recall very little beyond "Seperate but equal", and Rev. King, in all honesty, mostly because segregation was so flat-out stupid and insane that I don't care to study the bigots behind it. Also that the whole affair took far, far too long.

3.5/5

The march on washington involved his famous "I have a dream" speech.

Whoops, missed Malcolm X.
Malcolm X - Another activist. Leader of the Black Panthers, who were a militaristic group. They wanted a completely seperate state for black people. Malcolm X was shot in 1965. He encourage black people to arm themselves and fight back against the government.

Sub Zero, you must be doing something else.
Yr 10 - B1, B2, C1, C2, P1 and P2. (Core Science)
Yr 11 - B3, B4, C3, C4, P3 and P4 (Additional Science)

Sub_Zero
2009-06-11, 10:45 AM
Sub Zero, you must be doing something else.
Yr 10 - B1, B2, C1, C2, P1 and P2. (Core Science)
Yr 11 - B3, B4, C3, C4, P3 and P4 (Additional Science)

We did those, then we also do B5, B6, C5, C6, P5, P6. Obviously those aren't additional science. But we definitely did those that you mentioned as well.

Fredthefighter
2009-06-11, 10:47 AM
We did those, then we also do B5, B6, C5, C6, P5, P6. Obviously those aren't additional science. But we definitely did those that you mentioned as well.

You might have done extra then somehow.
Did you do three pieces of coursework over Yr 10 and Yr 11?

Coidzor
2009-06-11, 10:59 AM
Whoops, missed Malcolm X.
Malcolm X - Another activist. Leader of the Black Panthers, who were a militaristic group. They wanted a completely seperate state for black people. Malcolm X was shot in 1965. He encourage black people to arm themselves and fight back against the government.

Actually, Malcolm X was part of Nation of Islam rather than the Black Panthers, and was spokesman for the group rather than leader, and this lead to tensions with the actual head of the group that forced him out. They did want a separate state for blacks though, not sure where they fell as far as back to Africa movements. He then left the group under threat of violence and came back from an extended overseas trip as a more moderate figure.

He was also assassinated, though it was by members of his former organization rather than by white supremacists.

Fredthefighter
2009-06-11, 11:02 AM
Actually, Malcolm X was part of Nation of Islam rather than the Black Panthers. They did want a separate state for blacks though, not sure where they fell as far as back to Africa movements. He then left the group under threat of violence and came back from an extended overseas trip as a more moderate figure.

He was their leader if I'm not mistaken. And the Black Panthers were part of the Nation of Islam. They replaced their "Christian slave names" with the letter X.

Nameless
2009-06-11, 11:03 AM
Well. I got to spend an extra few hours at college helping a friend do all of their work from this year... For the seconed time.
and by "Help", I mean "do the work for them". I wish I could say no sometimes. :smallsigh:

Fredthefighter
2009-06-11, 11:04 AM
Well. I got to spend an extra few hours at college helping a friend do all of their work from this year... For the seconed time.
and by "Help", I mean "do the work for them". I wish I could say no sometimes. :smallsigh:

My sister has that definition of help embedded in her head.
Help sister with homework = Do homework for her, in her head.

Trog
2009-06-11, 11:05 AM
*Heaps work on Nameless... like resodding the lawn he burned*

Nameless
2009-06-11, 11:08 AM
*Heaps work on Nameless... like resodding the lawn he burned*

Funnily enough, I can no quite easily over teh neterweberz, :smallannoyed: :smalltongue:

Coidzor
2009-06-11, 11:11 AM
Elijah Muhammad was the titular head of the Nation of Islam, which is why when he was speaking for the Nation of Islam, Malcolm X kept quoting him and so on.

Black Panthers:
Founded in Oakland, California, by Bobby Seale and Huey P. Newton on October 15, 1966.

Mainly self-defense and advocacy of black power, grass roots movement of involvement in the local community by seeking to empower the community and those within it in order to stop the litany of abuses that were visited upon the black community.

Nation of Islam:
"The Nation of Islam (NOI) (Arabic: أمة الإسلام‎, Ummat al-Islām) is a religious group founded in Detroit, Michigan, United States by Wallace D. Fard Muhammad in July 1930 with the self-proclaimed goal of resurrecting the spiritual, mental, social, and economic condition of the black men and women of America. "

Amongst other things claimed that blacks were the original people and that whites were a race of devils/half-men created by an evil scientist named "Yakub" (Jachob reference). Had various messages about religion as well.

Yeah, if you did you wouldn't get in these messes.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-06-11, 11:13 AM
Hey - quit chatting and edit your RP post in WoD, dammit! :smalltongue:

Oh, yeah...
Done.
*gets back to weather and stuff in the other windows, resumes chatting*

Phase
2009-06-11, 12:39 PM
Yes... Soon my laser death ray will be complete. Then we'll see who's laughing, THEN WE'LL SEE!
It will be me. I will be laughing.

mercurymaline
2009-06-11, 12:39 PM
Fun fact I discovered while walking through the mall last weekend: the second Twilight movie is actually going Straight to DVD.

Seriously? Oh thank G*.

There's nothing serious about a movie where they have to coat an actor in honey-cured turkey breast in order to get another actor to give him a hickey. MULTIPLE TIMES.

Wait, what?

Cristo Meyers
2009-06-11, 12:48 PM
Seriously? Oh thank G*.

There was a flyer stapled to one of those big cardboard character cut-outs that said to "reserve your copy of New Moon on DVD. Date: TBA"

It's nice to see a bad franchise actually fail for once...though I think this was always the plan.

Alteran
2009-06-11, 12:48 PM
Last exam tomorrow! As of 10:30 Eastern Standard Time, June 12 2009, I will be freeeee!

Now all I need to do is convince myself to start studying...

Rutskarn
2009-06-11, 12:49 PM
Yes... Soon my laser death ray will be complete. Then we'll see who's laughing, THEN WE'LL SEE!
It will be me. I will be laughing.

Eh, I'll probably giggle a little. Charred ashes are comedy gold.

Phase
2009-06-11, 12:57 PM
There was a flyer stapled to one of those big cardboard character cut-outs that said to "reserve your copy of New Moon on DVD. Date: TBA"

It's nice to see a bad franchise actually fail for once...though I think this was always the plan.

Umm, actually, I think that just means that people are already feasting upon the cash cow that is Twilight...

"Buy the DVD before the movie comes out! You know you'll love it, so just get it now!"

ION: The death ray has had a setback. Does anyone know how to wash sublimated bone residue from ancient Persian tapestries?

Cristo Meyers
2009-06-11, 12:59 PM
Umm, actually, I think that just means that people are already feasting upon the cash cow that is Twilight...

"Buy the DVD before the movie comes out! You know you'll love it, so just get it now!"

Could be that too, but that just doens't make a whole lot of sense to me. I used to work at this store, they wouldn't be taking reservations on the DVD this long before the movie itself came out.

Eh, either way, I just found the idea amusing.

ION: The death ray has had a setback. Does anyone know how to wash sublimated bone residue from ancient Persian tapestries?

Club soda. You just have to be a tad gentle with the scrubbing.

Alteran
2009-06-11, 01:02 PM

Just add more. It won't get rid of anything, but it'll look like you did it on purpose.

Phase
2009-06-11, 01:03 PM
Could be that too, but that just doens't make a whole lot of sense to me. I used to work at this store, they wouldn't be taking reservations on the DVD this long before the movie itself came out.

Note that this is Twilight. Getting ahead of the curve with all the teenaged girls with no taste is the key to millions of dollars worth of fangirl allowance.

Club soda. You just have to be a tad gentle with the scrubbing.

Okay, this would've been helpful earlier. Does anyone know how to put out fires bound together by Plasmatic Death Energy and the souls of thousands of Ancient Persian warriors?

EDIT: Okay, nevermind. Launching it into space works pretty well.

CurlyKitGirl
2009-06-11, 01:31 PM

Not three essays. At least, not for some GCSE subjects.
GCSE exams are never more than two essays per exam, and most often it's one essay, then a series of smaller answers/one short essay.

AS and A Level will only ever have two essays per exam. Generally it's weighted e.g. in history my a) question is 20 marks, thus it's a short one. But you analyse all three sources at once. My b) question is 40 marks, thus it's the longer one and you analyse all six sources unless told to miss one out.

And there're many marking objectives all combined into one:
assessing contemporary and modern sources
own knowledge
accurate assimilation and depiction of an argument
I don't know what they are, but it'ss all mixed up in there together.

Tricky, but very good for university. It's all essays there. Wouldn't change it for the world.
Except French. Don't like French. Three exams. Stupid.

Coidzor
2009-06-11, 02:06 PM
Wait, what?

A photo of the production of the first twilight movie that was circulating around the web from some kind of teen/pop magazine for girls had a photo of the fight between Sir Edmund Halley and Jacob 'Father of the 12 Tribes' Israel (at least I think Israel was his last name...) from that movie where the one actor is giving the other actor a hickey by biting him in the neck repeatedly.

Now if you can't get the shot you want within 10-30 attempts in one day of that small of a shot, and you're doing so many ridiculous things to the actors rather than, y'know, having them act... Well....

mercurymaline
2009-06-11, 02:15 PM
A photo of the production of the first twilight movie that was circulating around the web from some kind of teen/pop magazine for girls had a photo of the fight between Sir Edmund Halley and Jacob 'Father of the 12 Tribes' Israel (at least I think Israel was his last name...) from that movie where the one actor is giving the other actor a hickey by biting him in the neck repeatedly.

Now if you can't get the shot you want within 10-30 attempts in one day of that small of a shot, and you're doing so many ridiculous things to the actors rather than, y'know, having them act... Well....

I am so glad I can barely understand what you're saying here. I mean, I comprehend the words, but I have no frame of reference to know what the hell you're talking about. I have avoided that movie like the plague it is.

Also, earlier you said he was "coated with honey-glazed turkey" as opposed to "honey turkey glaze," which I hope is what you meant. Unless, he was literally coated in turkey.

Coidzor
2009-06-11, 02:18 PM
I am so glad I can barely understand what you're saying here. I mean, I comprehend the words, but I have no frame of reference to know what the hell you're talking about. I have avoided that movie like the plague it is.

Also, earlier you said he was "coated with honey-glazed turkey" as opposed to "honey turkey glaze," which I hope is what you meant. Unless, he was literally coated in turkey.

I think after a while both such fates befell him....x.x

Fredthefighter
2009-06-11, 02:24 PM
Not three essays. At least, not for some GCSE subjects.
GCSE exams are never more than two essays per exam, and most often it's one essay, then a series of smaller answers/one short essay.

AS and A Level will only ever have two essays per exam. Generally it's weighted e.g. in history my a) question is 20 marks, thus it's a short one. But you analyse all three sources at once. My b) question is 40 marks, thus it's the longer one and you analyse all six sources unless told to miss one out.

And there're many marking objectives all combined into one:
assessing contemporary and modern sources
own knowledge
accurate assimilation and depiction of an argument
I don't know what they are, but it'ss all mixed up in there together.

Tricky, but very good for university. It's all essays there. Wouldn't change it for the world.
Except French. Don't like French. Three exams. Stupid.

Paper 1 (Q1 is compulsory, then choose between Q2 and Q3)
Q1 - Source Based, 20 marks in total
Q2 - Own knowledge only, 25 marks in total
Q3 - Q2 principal but different topic.
Repeat for Topic 2.

Paper 2 (Do any 2 of the 3 questions)
Same principal for each question.
Q1 - We don't do this topic.
Q2 - Topic 2, a) 2 mark descriptive question, b) 4 mark descriptive question, c) 6 mark explanatory question, d) 8 mark analysis, e) 10 mark chronological overview discussing differentiation and pace of change.
Q3 - Topic 3.

And then there's two pieces of coursework. That's it.
E) from Paper 2 is an essay-esque question (2 sides of A4 pretty much)

mercurymaline
2009-06-11, 03:39 PM
I think after a while both such fates befell him....x.x

Still, I'm not understanding /why./

Mr. Mud
2009-06-11, 05:36 PM
*basically hit a grandslam, to win the 7th game of the world series, with 2 outs, and a full count* We watched A walk to Remember :smallamused:.

Cristo Meyers
2009-06-11, 05:41 PM
*basically hit a grandslam, to win the 7th game of the world series, with 2 outs, and a full count* We watched A walk to Remember :smallamused:.

*snort*

I'm so sorry. I've been through that one too...

INO: Met with the freelance client a while ago...

...read my work...liked my work...might want more down the road! Thrilled doesn't even begin to describe it right now.

Mr. Mud
2009-06-11, 05:45 PM
*snort*

I'm so sorry. I've been through that one too...

INO: Met with the freelance client a while ago...

...read my work...liked my work...might want more down the road! Thrilled doesn't even begin to describe it right now.

Oh, it wasn't that bad as far as Terrible Chick Flicks go... And let's just say I go tagged out on my way to third, against like... the Rockies. :smallwink:,

But dude, Congratz, make you sure you update me on how this goes... What work did he read?

In other, other news, I'm going to see Land of the Lost tonight... Good/Bad but will be better have A Walk to Remember/terrible??

DamnedIrishman
2009-06-11, 06:07 PM
It's after midnight! I'm going to make myself some boiled eggs and soldiers! Can I get a hell yeah?

Mr. Mud
2009-06-11, 06:10 PM
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i87/dsumm438/Western/CowboyUpHellYeah.png:smallamused:

Logalmier
2009-06-11, 06:22 PM
It's after midnight! I'm going to make myself some boiled eggs and soldiers! Can I get a hell yeah?

If I may make a suggestion, make them a little over easy. The soldiers that is.:smalltongue:

Dragonrider
2009-06-11, 06:31 PM
:smallbiggrin: Just got my grade back on my history final - 100%! Yesss!

:selfsatisfiedsmirk:

In addition, apparently my grandparents are coming over tonight for some kind of graduation dinner for me. Apparently there will be roast chicken. And cake. And - holy crap we have no ice cream. :smallfrown: :smallbiggrin:

Cristo Meyers
2009-06-11, 06:37 PM
Oh, it wasn't that bad as far as Terrible Chick Flicks go... And let's just say I go tagged out on my way to third, against like... the Rockies. :smallwink:,

Sports metaphors are utterly lost on me, my Geek Factor is just too high :smalltongue:

But dude, Congratz, make you sure you update me on how this goes... What work did he read?

It's nothing I've posted (and I probably won't post it, because really I don't own it anymore), some Warhammer 40k and Fantasy fluff.

I'm working on painting my payment (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat1020028&prodId=prod1090579) (the link'll ask for country, just enter US) right now, waiting for the first coat to dry.

Mr. Mud
2009-06-11, 09:36 PM
Cristo; they're so brutal, yet so delicate...

... You've inspired me to get into Warhammer... but it's so expensive... and my hands are equal in size to Shaquile O'Neal's. I know you don't do the whole sports, but when I shoot a basketball, it's like throwing a nerf ball into a bowl of popcorn. From 15 feet out :smalltongue:.

*is so surprised he's actually getting hits on his blog... OH EM GEE! HE MIGHT ACTUALLY UPDATE IT NOW! :smallbiggrin:*
</teenage blogger girl> :smallsmile:

Coidzor
2009-06-11, 09:37 PM

What are Soldiers? Other than the guys who shoot people for lowpay and worse benefits?

Also, Mr. Mud. Yes. Give us something new to read other than an apology for hiatuses! Please.

Mr. Mud
2009-06-11, 09:43 PM
What are Soldiers? Other than the guys who shoot people for lowpay and worse benefits?

Also, Mr. Mud. Yes. Give us something new to read other than an apology for hiatuses! Please.

You... read... what I write? Can I have your autograph? :smallamused:. I'm actaully posting something write* now, Master Coid.

* :smallamused:.

Rutskarn
2009-06-12, 12:06 AM
Very good, then. You're spared.

Mr. Mud
2009-06-12, 12:11 AM
A review of Land of the Lost is up, if anyone doesn't notice it in my sig.

I thought it was pretty good... Will Ferrell is great :smalltongue:.

Coidzor
2009-06-12, 12:20 AM
hmm... a quandary... Aside from the obvious of "liar" what do you call someone who claims to not think sexually on even a subconscious level? If they claim that they only can if a relationship develops to the point where it's a possibility?

Sounds damaged or deluded to me, since humans are supposedly supposed to be judging potential mates even if we're not aware of it or actively doing it.

Also, I liked it, Mr. Mud.

Alteran
2009-06-12, 12:22 AM
My last exam of the year starts in about 7 hours and 40 minutes. I should have studied more. I should have gone to sleep earlier. Oh well, I don't expect it to be too hard.

Goodnight, wish me luck.

Rutskarn
2009-06-12, 12:22 AM
hmm... a quandary... Aside from the obvious of "liar" what do you call someone who claims to not think sexually on even a subconscious level? If they claim that they only can if a relationship develops to the point where it's a possibility?

Sounds damaged or deluded to me, since humans are supposedly supposed to be judging potential mates even if we're not aware of it or actively doing it.

You'd call them asexual (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asexual), and there is most definitely grounds for their existence.

Mr. Mud
2009-06-12, 12:26 AM

Thanks Coid :smallamused:, Hopefully I find something to rant about tomorrow... But Now, I'm tired as I've been up for... oh, 21 hours now :smallbiggrin:.

Night Playground.

*puts on hat and walks over to his lonely hammock*.

randman22222
2009-06-12, 03:40 AM
Bah. It bugs me how foolish my little brother can be. For instance, he has no doubt in his mind that late last night, I was playing Warcraft 3 with him online, and that I won't admit it now. The reason? He saw a guy with a screen name that sounds a lot like the one I used to use. Because it had the word 'angel' in it. :smallconfused:

The thing is, I uninstalled every game I had off of my computer weeks ago, because I didn't like how much I turned to them for escapism.

The reason I think so lowly of him is that he is absolutely sure of everything he knows. He's convinced his memory is absolutely flawless, that when he sees screen names online reminiscent of my old ones, it MUST be me. He's just so certain about everything in his life, when he has no reason to be. ...Gah. :smallsigh:

None of this would bother me as much as it does if it weren't for the fact that he uses his supposed omniscience to convince others that I'm some kind of immoral moron.

Nameless
2009-06-12, 05:07 AM
Yay! I've now officialy finished my first year of college!
*is very happy*
PARTY TIME! *runs around screaming*

Fredthefighter
2009-06-12, 05:10 AM
Yay! I've now officialy finished my first year of college!
*is very happy*
PARTY TIME! *runs around screaming*

*Also parties*
I have a completely free schedule until TUESDAY! :smallbiggrin:

And my birthday is on WEDNESDAY! :biggrin:

But then I have an exam on Thursday. Fudge. :smallsigh:

Nameless
2009-06-12, 05:15 AM
*Also parties*
I have a completely free schedule until TUESDAY! :smallbiggrin:

And my birthday is on WEDNESDAY! :biggrin:

But then I have an exam on Thursday. Fudge. :smallsigh:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! *parties more* :smallbiggrin:

Fredthefighter
2009-06-12, 05:18 AM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY! *parties more* :smallbiggrin:

YAY!
*Does a little dance*
*Has a little fun*
*Gets down tonight*
:biggrin:

billtodamax
2009-06-12, 05:20 AM
*lets off fireworks*
Woo! Birthday! College! (Is that the same as University in australia? Or is it the same as our college? School systems are confusing.)

Nameless
2009-06-12, 05:22 AM
*lets off fireworks*
Woo! Birthday! College! (Is that the same as University in australia? Or is it the same as our college? School systems are confusing.)

We have:
nursery > primary school > secondary school > College or 6th form > University

Fredthefighter
2009-06-12, 05:25 AM
We have:

Exactly.
Nursery is age 2 to age 4.
Primary school is age 4 to 12.
Secondary school is age 12 to 16.
College or 6th form is age 16 to 18.
University is 18+.

billtodamax
2009-06-12, 05:32 AM
In Australia it's:

Pre-School: 4
Kindergarden-Year 6 (primary school): 5-12
Year 7-10 (High School): 13-16
Year 11-12 (College): 17-18
University: 18/19 - Whenever your course ends.

You have an option to take a gap year between Uni and College.

Fredthefighter
2009-06-12, 05:33 AM
In Australia it's:

Pre-School: 4
Kindergarden-Year 6 (primary school): 5-12
Year 7-10 (High School): 13-16
Year 11-12 (College): 17-18
University: 18/19 - Whenever your course ends.

You have an option to take a gap year between Uni and College.

Cool. I think the gap year happens over here as well.

Dihan
2009-06-12, 05:43 AM
I went to a junior school between primary and secondary.

billtodamax
2009-06-12, 05:43 AM
I think I'm going to take it if I have enough funds to travel, or want to save up some money for Uni.

Fredthefighter
2009-06-12, 05:44 AM

Yr 3 to Yr6? Because that was part of Primary school for me.

Nameless
2009-06-12, 05:45 AM

Junior school is part of primary school. It's split into two

First Primary, the junior but it all counts as primary

Fredthefighter
2009-06-12, 05:59 AM

Mr.Nameless is correct. :smallbiggrin:

Dihan
2009-06-12, 06:04 AM
I went to an infant school then a junior school. I know where I've been.

Fredthefighter
2009-06-12, 06:12 AM

Ah, then it's just split up.

Infants + Juniors = Primary education (Key Stages 1 and 2)
Secondary School (Key Stages 3 and 4)

Rawhide
2009-06-12, 06:16 AM
To whoever creates the new thread, be sure to include links to both part 1 and part 2 of this incarnation (the link to part 1 is in the second post).

Either that or I could just keep recreating the thread...

Fredthefighter
2009-06-12, 06:20 AM
To whoever creates the new thread, be sure to include links to both part 1 and part 2 of this incarnation (the link to part 1 is in the second post).

Either that or I could just keep recreating the thread...

Indeed.
In the future, 2010, Groundhog's Random Banter of Weather Prediction and Anti-Gopherness #120 went into its 50th reincarnation.

Rawhide
2009-06-12, 06:31 AM
It's groundhog day! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_yDWQsrajA)

Nameless
2009-06-12, 06:31 AM

You don't even know where you live, let alone where you've been. :smalltongue:

Fredthefighter
2009-06-12, 06:38 AM
It's groundhog day! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_yDWQsrajA)

You just went up 50 points on the awesome scale. :smallbiggrin:

Rawhide
2009-06-12, 06:38 AM
You don't even know where you live, let alone where you've been. :smalltongue:

Eww. Don't touch that. You don't know where it's been!

Thufir
2009-06-12, 07:20 AM
We have:

Or, alternatively:

First school - Middle school - High school - College/6th form - University

unstattedCommoner
2009-06-12, 07:39 AM

I know exactly where it's been, which is why I'm not touching it.

Fredthefighter
2009-06-12, 08:11 AM
I know exactly where it's been, which is why I'm not touching it.

Yeah, it's often actually WORSE if you know where it's been. For example, you wouldn't pet a dog if it had been in a dustbin, but if you didn't know that it had been in a dustbin, you would pet it.

Anuan
2009-06-12, 08:15 AM
I just came back from bowling! :smallbiggrin: Was a great night out, even if I did terribly (the worst I've ever done at bowling :smallfrown: even Candi beat me, and she can barely lift the smallest ball (she's absolutely teeny (yay parenthesis in parenthesis!))) and I got to hang out with some friends I havnt seen in months, but now I'm all depressed and stuff because the adrenaline high is gone and the seretonin levels have dropped and now I just feel bad :smallsigh:

...Goddamn some of the girls I know are hot though >.>

Fredthefighter
2009-06-12, 08:16 AM
...Goddamn some of the girls I know are hot though >.>

Lucky you. :smallbiggrin:
Okay, I do know SOME hot girls in real life, but they're more aquaintances than friends.

Congratz on the cool night out. :smallsmile:

dish
2009-06-12, 09:04 AM
..., but now I'm all depressed and stuff because the adrenaline high is gone and the seretonin levels have dropped and now I just feel bad :smallsigh:...

A quick fix that sometimes helps falling serotonin levels: try eating a banana.

*lets off fireworks*

I know this has been answered already, but I just wanted to note that in British English college has five different meanings (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College#United_Kingdom). One of which is for 'Sixth form / college of further education'.

Agreed. Some regions divide primary school into two: infants and then juniors.

Or, alternatively:

First school - Middle school - High school - College/6th form - University
Now, in that case it becomes more confusing. A few British education authorities offer 'middle school' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_school#United_Kingdom). Some of them are classified as primaries, and some as secondaries.

KilltheToy
2009-06-12, 09:09 AM

It's still edible. I see no problem here.

*OMNOMNOMNOM*

Fredthefighter
2009-06-12, 09:11 AM
It's still edible. I see no problem here.

*OMNOMNOMNOM*

OH NOES! You haz eaten a Lolcat! :smalltongue:

Mr. Mud
2009-06-12, 09:35 AM
*wakes up, and rolls out of hammcok. Crawls prone to RB and tries to glomp the Lolc--*

YOU ATE A LOLCAT? :smallfurious:

Nameless
2009-06-12, 09:49 AM
In Soviet Russia, Lolcats eat YOU!

Fredthefighter
2009-06-12, 09:50 AM
*wakes up, and rolls out of hammcok. Crawls prone to RB and tries to glomp the Lolc--*

YOU ATE A LOLCAT? :smallfurious:

I think it did Mrmud, you know what that means. It means we have to use...

...the Digimon.

GO AGUMON!

http://francis-duncan.com/graphics/digimon/Agumon.gif

AGUMON IS DIGIVOLVING!

Digimon, digital monsters, digimon are the champions. Change, into digital champions to, save the digital world!

GREYMON!
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/47/GeoGreymon.gif
[/Shameless Digimon tangent]

Mr. Mud
2009-06-12, 09:52 AM
... ♫ Hey Digimon, hey Digimon, Monsta' friend to da boys and girls, hey Digimon, hey Digimon, Champions of da digital worldddd ♫

Fredthefighter
2009-06-12, 09:58 AM
... ♫ Hey Digimon, hey Digimon, Monsta' friend to da boys and girls, hey Digimon, hey Digimon, Champions of da digital worldddd ♫

I have Digimon World DS.
My team:
MetalGreymon (Aiming for Wargreymon or Omnimon)
MegaAngemon (Aiming for Seraphimon)
Ikkakumon (Eventually evolve into Zudomon)
Tentamon (Eventually evolve into MegaKabuterimon Red version)
Roachmon (Eventually evolve into MegaKabuterimon)
Gigadramon (Fully evolved Ultimate level Digimon)

unstattedCommoner
2009-06-12, 10:09 AM
In Soviet Russia, Lolcats eat YOU!

In Soviet Russia, cats post humourlessly captioned pictures of YOU!

Nameless
2009-06-12, 10:37 AM

:smalleek:

Fredthefighter
2009-06-12, 10:42 AM
:smalleek:

OH NOES!
Some say that the first sign of the LOLpocalypse is the slow degredation of spelinz all around teh wurld.

Mr. Mud
2009-06-12, 10:43 AM
OH NOES!
Some say that the first sign of the LOLpocalypse is the slow degredation of spelinz all around teh wurld.

lolwut? Iz not a mello :smalltongue:.

Phase
2009-06-12, 10:46 AM

In Soviet Russia, direct object verbs subject!

Fredthefighter
2009-06-12, 10:48 AM
lolwut? Iz not a mello :smalltongue:.

Oh noes! Iz affectin' our spelinz alredee! :smalltongue:

A Rainy Knight
2009-06-12, 11:02 AM
http://www.hollow-hill.com/sabina/images/serious-cat.jpg

:tongue:

Moving on... how about that weather, huh? Did you hear about when the sports team from my area defeated the sports team from your area?

Mr. Mud
2009-06-12, 11:05 AM
No, Ark, we beat you :smalltongue:... but my firefly coat came today!

Phase
2009-06-12, 11:07 AM
No, Ark, we beat you :smalltongue:... but my firefly coat came today!

Gorrammit, I'd love a coat like that. Curse you, recession!

Fredthefighter
2009-06-12, 11:08 AM
http://www.hollow-hill.com/sabina/images/serious-cat.jpg

Moving on... how about that weather, huh? Did you hear about when the sports team from my area defeated the sports team from your area?

http://media.neoengel.com/images/dont_hotlink_from_my_bandwidth/for%20teh%20lulz.jpg
http://www.gamecheetah.com/members/theprodicalson-albums-insanium-cranium-picture121-why-do-we-do-someone-who-dead.jpg
I rest my case.

Mr. Mud
2009-06-12, 11:13 AM
Gorrammit, I'd love a coat like that. Curse you, recession!

I'm literally going to wear it all times of the day, including when I sleep, and I'm stilling about showering with it... you think the leather will hold up? :smalltongue:.

Going Go-Carting today playground... Bai :smallbiggrin:.

Fred, don't smash anything,
Phase, don't... make people feel bad with your superior intellect,
And everyone else, NO FIRE. That is all :smallbiggrin:.

A Rainy Knight
2009-06-12, 11:13 AM
http://www.icanhasforce.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/star-wars-obi-wan-lulz.jpg

Who's starting the next RB thread, by the way? Seeing as we're on page fifty of this one.

TwoBitWriter
2009-06-12, 11:16 AM
If he hasn't had one in the past 50, I nominate MrMud! :smallbiggrin:

Solidarity, brother!

Fredthefighter
2009-06-12, 11:38 AM
http://www.icanhasforce.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/star-wars-obi-wan-lulz.jpg

Who's starting the next RB thread, by the way? Seeing as we're on page fifty of this one.

Well, supposedly, someone called thread 121 as their own ages ago (hence why thread 120 was repeated).

However, what could happen is that we get a third thread 120. GROUNDHOG DAY! AGAIN!

And Mrmud, I promise not to smash anything. :smalltongue:

Nameless
2009-06-12, 11:40 AM
OH NOES!

TO TEH NETERWEBERZ!

Mr. Mud
2009-06-12, 11:40 AM
Thansk Twoobs! My RB senses were tingling so I cancelled go-carting and came back for you all :smalltongue:. Plus, I have a real car now. I crash into my friend anytime :smallwink:.

May I make the next RB?

Fredthefighter
2009-06-12, 11:43 AM
TO TEH NETERWEBERZ!

INDED MA FWIEND! :smallbiggrin:
TO TEH LOLCAVE!
DANANANANANANANA, LOLCATZ! :biggrin:

Quincunx
2009-06-12, 11:43 AM
Sheesh, go ahead and pre-claim all the square-number random banters, why dontcha. . .

Don't mind if I do. 144 and 169 are the only ones to worry about for a while though. . .

Do it, Mrmud! Spite him on my behalf!

Mr. Mud
2009-06-12, 11:44 AM
Do it, Mrmud! Spite him on my behalf!

Nah, I never could to Rec... if he's not on, then maybe, but :smalltongue:.

Nameless
2009-06-12, 11:46 AM
INDED MA FWIEND! :smallbiggrin:
TO TEH LOLCAVE!
DANANANANANANANA, LOLCATZ! :biggrin:

omnomnomnomnomnomnomnom LOLCATS! LOLCATS! LOLCAAAATTTTTSSSS!!!

Quincunx
2009-06-12, 11:50 AM
Recaiden is a valid banter-beginner, but offline. I suppose you could build a sidecar into the thread title and no wait, that's motorcycles not go-karts. (Go-karts: fun, but not as much so as the motorized bumper boats.)

Mr. Mud
2009-06-12, 11:57 AM
Recaiden is a valid banter-beginner, but offline. I suppose you could build a sidecar into the thread title and no wait, that's motorcycles not go-karts. (Go-karts: fun, but not as much so as the motorized bumper boats.)

Wait, I just got all the thread made and ready to post... should I wait or go :smallconfused:?

Rutskarn
2009-06-12, 12:09 PM
I say go for it. Knowing the RB speed, Recaiden'll be back up in no time.

Mr. Mud
2009-06-12, 12:10 PM
Agreed. Posting now... do I have to change all that much :smallconfused:?

Rutskarn
2009-06-12, 12:11 PM
Agreed. Posting now... do I have to change all that much :smallconfused:?

Actually, yes. You need to put in a small by-line saying, "Read Chocolate Hammer".

Little-known rule.

Mr. Mud
2009-06-12, 12:17 PM
Maybe'll put it in there somewhere... :smalltongue:.

Anways, it's up: My Banter! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6275191#post6275191)

Tell me what I did wrong and what I should change, in that thread :smallwink:.