PDA

View Full Version : REQUEST: Dracthulu!

DamnedIrishman
2009-05-31, 08:27 PM
Dear Homebrew Design Forum,

Please design Dracthulu, also known as what you get when you cross an ancient dragon with an eldritch horror, or possibly when you implant an illithid megabrain thing into a dragon's skull.

No specifications other than it has to have tentacles on it's face. Go wild!

This emerged out of a discussion with Gorgondantess, so it's not just my fault.

Pwetty pwease?

Gorgondantess
2009-05-31, 08:49 PM
Dear Homebrew Design Forum,

Please design Dracthulu, also known as what you get when you cross an ancient dragon with an eldritch horror, or possibly when you implant an illithid megabrain thing into a dragon's skull.

No specifications other than it has to have tentacles on it's face. Go wild!

This emerged out of a discussion with Gorgondantess, so it's not just my fault.

Pwetty pwease?

Darling, I'm two steps ahead of you. On and off the past few days I've been statting out an ulitharid dragon disciple.:smallcool:

Zeta Kai
2009-05-31, 11:04 PM
Drachthulu
Gargantuan Aberration (Augmented Dragon)
Hit Dice: 31d12+341 (713HP**)
Initiative: +5
Speed: 120’ (24 squares), Fly 300’ (60 squares, poor maneuverability), Swim 120’ (24 squares)
Armor Class: 73 (-2 size, +5 Dex, +60 natural); touch 43; flat-footed 68
Base Attack/Grapple: +31/+60
Attack: 8 Tentacle Rakes +50 melee (4d6+21 bludgeoning), 2 Claws +45 melee (2d8+10 slashing), 2 Wings +40 melee (2d6+10 bludgeoning), Tail Slap +35 melee (2d8+31 bludgeoning)
Full Attack: 8 Tentacle Rakes +50 melee (4d6+21 bludgeoning), 2 Claws +45 melee (2d8+10 slashing), 2 Wings +40 melee (2d6+10 bludgeoning), Tail Slap +35 melee (2d8+31 bludgeoning)
Space/Reach: 20’/15’ (20’ with Bite)
Special Attacks: Breath Weapon, Corrupt Water, Crush, Frightful Presence, Improved Grab, Rotting Constriction, Spell-like Abilities, Tail Sweep
Special Qualities: Aberration traits, Alternate Form, Constant Insight, Damage Reduction 15/epic, Electricity Resistance 50, Immunity to Acid, Spell Resistance 25, Water Breathing
Saves: Fort +28, Ref +22, Will +25
Abilities: Str 53 (+21), Dex 20 (+5), Con 33 (+11), Int 16 (+3), Wis 27 (+8), Cha 16 (+3)
Skills: Balance +23, Bluff +21, Climb +39, Diplomacy +21, Heal +26, Hide +11, Intimidate +21, Jump +39, Knowledge (Arcana) +21, Listen +26, Move Silently +26, Search +26, Sense Motive +26, Spellcraft +21, Spot +26, Survival +26, Swim +39
Feats: Cleave, Dodge, Flyby Attack, Hover, Lightning Reflexes, Mobility, Power Attack, Self-Sufficient, Spring Attack, Snatch, Wingover
Environment: any land or underground
Organization: solitary
Challenge Rating: 29
Treasure: 3× standard
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
Advancement: 32-33 HD (Gargantuan); 35+ HD (Colossal)
Level Adjustment: N/A

Breath Weapon (Su): The drachthulu has one type of breath weapon, a 120’ line of acid that deals 20d4 points of acid damage (DC31). The save DCs are Constitution-based.

Corrupt Water (Sp): Once per day the drachthulu can stagnate 10 cubic feet of water, making it become still, foul, & unable to support animal life. The ability spoils liquids containing water. Magic items (such as potions) & items in a creature’s possession must succeed on a Will save (DC28) or become fouled. The save DC is Strength-based. This ability is the equivalent of a 1st-level spell. Its range is equal to that of the drachthulu’s frightful presence (60’).

Crush (Ex): This special attack allows a flying or jumping drachthulu to land on opponents as a standard action, using its whole body to crush them. Crush attacks are effective only against opponents three or more size categories smaller than the drachthulu (though it can attempt normal overrun or grapple attacks against larger opponents). A crush attack affects as many creatures as can fit under the drachthulu’s body. Creatures in the affected area must succeed on a Reflex save (DC31) or be pinned, automatically taking bludgeoning damage during the next round unless the drachthulu moves off them. If the drachthulu chooses to maintain the pin, treat it as a normal grapple attack. Pinned opponents take damage from the crush each round if they don’t escape. A crush attack deals the indicated damage plus 1½ times the drachthulu’s Strength bonus (round down).

Frightful Presence (Ex): The drachthulu can inspire terror by charging or attacking. Affected creatures must succeed on a Will save (DC28) or become shaken, remaining in that condition as long as they remain with 60’ of the drachthulu. The save DC is Strength-based.

Improved Grab (Ex): If the drachthulu hits an opponent smaller than it with a tentacle, it deals normal damage and attempts to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity.

Rotting Constriction (Ex): Once the drachthulu has hold of an opponent, each successful grapple check it makes during subsequent rounds permanently drains 2d4 points of Constitution. At the same time, the creature regains 10 lost hit points.

Spell-Like Abilities

At will: blur, dimension door, shield, unhallow.
3/day: darkness (radius 100’), insect plague.
1/day: plant growth.
Caster level 20th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

Tail Sweep (Ex): This special attack allows the drachthulu to sweep with its tail as a standard action. The sweep affects a half-circle with a radius of 30’ (or 40’ for a Colossal drachthulu), extending from an intersection on the edge of the drachthulu’s space in any direction. Creatures within the swept area are affected if they are four or more size categories smaller than the drachthulu. A tail sweep automatically deals the indicated damage plus 1½ times the drachthulu’s Strength bonus (round down). Affected creatures can attempt Reflex saves to take half damage (DC31).

Aberration traits: Like nearly all aberrations, the drachthulu possesses the following traits:

Darkvision out to 60’
Proficient with its natural weapons
Not proficient with any armor
Must eat, sleep, & breathe

Alternate Form (Su): At will, the drachthulu can take the form of a grotesque, tentacled mass (or another appropriately gruesome form), but all its abilities remain unchanged despite the alien appearance. Changing shape is a standard action. Other creatures receive a -1 morale penalty on their attack rolls against the drachthulu in this alternate form. In this form, all of its melee attacks are replaced with Tentacle Rake attacks.

Constant Insight (Su): The drachthulu makes all its attacks with a +10 insight bonus. The drachthulu is not affected by the miss chance that applies to attacks against a concealed target.

Water Breathing (Ex): The drachthulu can breathe underwater indefinitely & can freely use its breath weapon, spells, & other abilities while submerged.

**: The drachthulu always has maximum hit points.

Note: This is essentially a slightly-modified Ancient Black Dragon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/dragonTrue.htm#blackDragon) with a slightly-modified Pseudonatural template (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/pseudonaturalCreature.htm) applied to it. If nothing else, it's a good place to start. Enjoy.

DamnedIrishman
2009-05-31, 11:20 PM
Drachthulu
Gargantuan Aberration (Augmented Dragon)
Hit Dice: 31d12+341 (713HP**)
Initiative: +5
Speed: 120’ (24 squares), Fly 300’ (60 squares, poor maneuverability), Swim 120’ (24 squares)
Armor Class: 73 (-2 size, +5 Dex, +60 natural); touch 43; flat-footed 68
Base Attack/Grapple: +31/+60
Attack: 8 Tentacle Rakes +50 melee (4d6+21 bludgeoning), 2 Claws +45 melee (2d8+10 slashing), 2 Wings +40 melee (2d6+10 bludgeoning), Tail Slap +35 melee (2d8+31 bludgeoning)
Full Attack: 8 Tentacle Rakes +50 melee (4d6+21 bludgeoning), 2 Claws +45 melee (2d8+10 slashing), 2 Wings +40 melee (2d6+10 bludgeoning), Tail Slap +35 melee (2d8+31 bludgeoning)
Space/Reach: 20’/15’ (20’ with Bite)
Special Attacks: Breath Weapon, Corrupt Water, Crush, Frightful Presence, Improved Grab, Rotting Constriction, Spell-like Abilities, Tail Sweep
Special Qualities: Aberration traits, Alternate Form, Constant Insight, Damage Reduction 15/epic, Electricity Resistance 50, Immunity to Acid, Spell Resistance 25, Water Breathing
Saves: Fort +28, Ref +22, Will +25
Abilities: Str 53 (+21), Dex 20 (+5), Con 33 (+11), Int 16 (+3), Wis 27 (+8), Cha 16 (+3)
Skills: Balance +23, Bluff +21, Climb +39, Diplomacy +21, Heal +26, Hide +11, Intimidate +21, Jump +39, Knowledge (Arcana) +21, Listen +26, Move Silently +26, Search +26, Sense Motive +26, Spellcraft +21, Spot +26, Survival +26, Swim +39
Feats: Cleave, Dodge, Flyby Attack, Hover, Lightning Reflexes, Mobility, Power Attack, Self-Sufficient, Spring Attack, Snatch, Wingover
Environment: any land or underground
Organization: solitary
Challenge Rating: 29
Treasure: 3× standard
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
Advancement: 32-33 HD (Gargantuan); 35+ HD (Colossal)
Level Adjustment: N/A

Breath Weapon (Su): The drachthulu has one type of breath weapon, a 120’ line of acid that deals 20d4 points of acid damage (DC31). The save DCs are Constitution-based.

Corrupt Water (Sp): Once per day the drachthulu can stagnate 10 cubic feet of water, making it become still, foul, & unable to support animal life. The ability spoils liquids containing water. Magic items (such as potions) & items in a creature’s possession must succeed on a Will save (DC28) or become fouled. The save DC is Strength-based. This ability is the equivalent of a 1st-level spell. Its range is equal to that of the drachthulu’s frightful presence (60’).

Crush (Ex): This special attack allows a flying or jumping drachthulu to land on opponents as a standard action, using its whole body to crush them. Crush attacks are effective only against opponents three or more size categories smaller than the drachthulu (though it can attempt normal overrun or grapple attacks against larger opponents). A crush attack affects as many creatures as can fit under the drachthulu’s body. Creatures in the affected area must succeed on a Reflex save (DC31) or be pinned, automatically taking bludgeoning damage during the next round unless the drachthulu moves off them. If the drachthulu chooses to maintain the pin, treat it as a normal grapple attack. Pinned opponents take damage from the crush each round if they don’t escape. A crush attack deals the indicated damage plus 1½ times the drachthulu’s Strength bonus (round down).

Frightful Presence (Ex): The drachthulu can inspire terror by charging or attacking. Affected creatures must succeed on a Will save (DC28) or become shaken, remaining in that condition as long as they remain with 60’ of the drachthulu. The save DC is Strength-based.

Improved Grab (Ex): If the drachthulu hits an opponent smaller than it with a tentacle, it deals normal damage and attempts to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity.

Rotting Constriction (Ex): Once the drachthulu has hold of an opponent, each successful grapple check it makes during subsequent rounds permanently drains 2d4 points of Constitution. At the same time, the creature regains 10 lost hit points.

Spell-Like Abilities

At will: blur, dimension door, shield, unhallow.
3/day: darkness (radius 100’), insect plague.
1/day: plant growth.
Caster level 20th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

Tail Sweep (Ex): This special attack allows the drachthulu to sweep with its tail as a standard action. The sweep affects a half-circle with a radius of 30’ (or 40’ for a Colossal drachthulu), extending from an intersection on the edge of the drachthulu’s space in any direction. Creatures within the swept area are affected if they are four or more size categories smaller than the drachthulu. A tail sweep automatically deals the indicated damage plus 1½ times the drachthulu’s Strength bonus (round down). Affected creatures can attempt Reflex saves to take half damage (DC31).

Aberration traits: Like nearly all aberrations, the drachthulu possesses the following traits:

Darkvision out to 60’
Proficient with its natural weapons
Not proficient with any armor
Must eat, sleep, & breathe

Alternate Form (Su): At will, the drachthulu can take the form of a grotesque, tentacled mass (or another appropriately gruesome form), but all its abilities remain unchanged despite the alien appearance. Changing shape is a standard action. Other creatures receive a -1 morale penalty on their attack rolls against the drachthulu in this alternate form. In this form, all of its melee attacks are replaced with Tentacle Rake attacks.

Constant Insight (Su): The drachthulu makes all its attacks with a +10 insight bonus. The drachthulu is not affected by the miss chance that applies to attacks against a concealed target.

Water Breathing (Ex): The drachthulu can breathe underwater indefinitely & can freely use its breath weapon, spells, & other abilities while submerged.

**: The drachthulu always has maximum hit points.

Note: This is essentially a slightly-modified Ancient Black Dragon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/dragonTrue.htm#blackDragon) with a slightly-modified Pseudonatural template (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/pseudonaturalCreature.htm) applied to it. If nothing else, it's a good place to start. Enjoy.

I knight you with Win, good sir.

alchemyprime
2009-05-31, 11:28 PM
Okay, I read Dracthulu and thought or a vampire Cthulhu. Which to me would be one of those Illithid dragons, toss on a green breath weapon, and the vampire template.

GO inapporpriate template usage!

Zeta Kai
2009-06-01, 05:25 AM
I knight you with Win, good sir.

I'm glad to be of service. It turned out pretty well, considering it was slapped together in such a short period of time. I wasn't gonna keep a record of it for myself, but now I think I'll hold onto it, just in case my current group gets up to epic levels & still needs something to fear.

BTW, I think the treasure is too much. It's based on the black dragon, but I doubt that Drachthulu would have more than ½ standard treasure. But it's your call; just a thought.

P.S.: If it were a red dragon, it might look a little something like this:

http://www.fatdragongames.com/images/dragoncthulhu.jpg

DamnedIrishman
2009-06-01, 07:46 AM
I'm glad to be of service. It turned out pretty well, considering it was slapped together in such a short period of time. I wasn't gonna keep a record of it for myself, but now I think I'll hold onto it, just in case my current group gets up to epic levels & still needs something to fear.

BTW, I think the treasure is too much. It's based on the black dragon, but I doubt that Drachthulu would have more than ½ standard treasure. But it's your call; just a thought.

P.S.: If it were a red dragon, it might look a little something like this:

http://www.fatdragongames.com/images/dragoncthulhu.jpg

Hmmm... I don't think it matters that much, as dracthulu strikes me as a "He Comes In The Night" sort of villain, or possibly a dragon captured by an evil cult as a vessel for their dark God... hmm...

GO inapporpriate template usage!

Innapropriate you say? Hmm... suddenly, suddenly a vampiric shadow dracthulich sounds interesting...

Teron
2009-06-01, 06:37 PM
Far be it from me to discourage homebrewing, but I simply have to say: Dragon #337, Brainstealer Dragon (http://www.kieranyanner.com/interior/BrainstealerDragonAttack.jpg). Twelve age categories of mind-frying, brain sucking, optionally psionic terror goodness.

DamnedIrishman
2009-06-01, 06:41 PM
Far be it from me to discourage homebrewing, but I simply have to say: Dragon #337, Brainstealer Dragon (http://www.kieranyanner.com/interior/BrainstealerDragonAttack.jpg). Twelve age categories of mind-frying, brain sucking, optionally psionic terror goodness.

Also awesome.

Black Mage
2009-06-01, 09:24 PM
Innapropriate you say? Hmm... suddenly, suddenly a vampiric shadow dracthulich sounds interesting...

Pssh, is that all you have? Throw on paragonal and apocalyptic from the book of templates just for the hell of it. :P

DamnedIrishman
2009-06-01, 09:30 PM
Pssh, is that all you have? Throw on paragonal and apocalyptic from the book of templates just for the hell of it. :P

If we're going just for the hell of it we might as well throw EVERY template on it.

Collosal Behemoth Undead Apocalyptic Shadow Dracthulich Paragonal Construct? WITH CLASS LEVELS?!

Black Mage
2009-06-01, 11:28 PM
If we're going just for the hell of it we might as well throw EVERY template on it.

Collosal Behemoth Undead Apocalyptic Shadow Dracthulich Paragonal Construct? WITH CLASS LEVELS?!

Epic level gestalt Wizard/Psion.
/win

Mewtarthio
2009-06-01, 11:39 PM
Guys? We're getting dangerously close to "That Divine Pseudonatural Paragon Damn Crab" territory here...

chiasaur11
2009-06-01, 11:45 PM
Yeah.

Pretty soon multiclassed Doctor/Ninjas will be the only thing able to stand against the terrors.

Lord_Gareth
2009-06-01, 11:46 PM
Yeah.

Pretty soon multiclassed Doctor/Ninjas will be the only thing able to stand against the terrors.

I saw what you did thar

sofawall
2009-06-03, 12:02 AM
Yeah.

They'll be too busy fighting giant tennis robots.