PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Homeless People

Boo
2009-06-01, 01:54 AM
To have some fun, without making fun, I've created this thread to talk about interesting people living on the streets of the world. Enjoy your conversations.

Example post:

One such individual is Jumanji (AKA Dave Kolek).
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3196/2765065187_a0f0640012.jpg?v=0

If there were ever a more photogenic homeless man, I know not a one.

Right, well, I just wanted to make this topic before I left giantitp. Remember to keep it friendly, and any mention of other things are to be considered off topic! So no talking about bears! Unless they're human, their name is Bear, they live on the street, and they are totally awesome.

Jimp
2009-06-01, 08:00 AM
A great website for this:
http://homelessmanspeaks.wordpress.com/

Canadian
2009-06-01, 10:54 AM
Grr... Okay i won't mention the "B" word.

Fri
2009-06-01, 11:20 AM
Surely we can't left Emperor Norton (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emperor_Norton) out of this thread, can we? Sure he's not technically homeless, since he got a boarding house, but still.

GrlumpTheElder
2009-06-01, 03:31 PM
In the town where I live, we have Duvet Dave.

He walks about with nothing but a duvet wrapped around himself. On first sight, he looks like a typical homeless alcoholic with a long, dirty beard, but he is actually very well spoken.

Canadian
2009-06-01, 04:46 PM
We've got a guy named Gary. He used to be a lawyer and owned a firm with a friend of his. One day his wife left him. She left the country with his law partner. They both stole all the company money. That evening his mother died. Gary snapped and went kinda nuts. He stopped bathing and changing his clothes.

Eventually he ran out of money and the bank took his big mansion and he was left homeless. To this day he wanders the streets in a filthy blanket yelling out "I'm sorry" at the top of his lungs.

If you call him Gary to his face he gets mad and yells "My name isn't Gary my name is F***!"

There's also the pirate lady. She has a hook for a hand and carries a tennis racket everywhere with her. She also used to be rich and went off the deep end. She drinks her swill with one pinky up in the air like she's an aristocrat or something. She's incredibly mean and hostile and isn't afraid to get violent.

I one had to whack her with a broom stick.

Those are the only two main offenders in my area and they're usually about 10KM south of here. Gary sometimes wanders in and out of the traffic on the 401. It's amazing that he's still alive.

Serpentine
2009-06-02, 12:06 AM
Surely we can't left Emperor Norton (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emperor_Norton) out of this thread, can we? Sure he's not technically homeless, since he got a boarding house, but still.
A person who does not have access to safe, secure, adequate housing. A person is considered not to have safe, secure adequate housing if the only housing to which they have access:

damages, or is likely to damage, their health; or
threatens their safety; or
marginalises them through failing to provide access to:
- adequate personal amenities; or
- the economic and social supports that a home normally affords; or
places them in circumstances which threaten or adversely affect the adequacy, safety, security, affordability of that housing; or
has no security of tenure – that is, they have no legal right to continued occupation of their home.
A person is also considered homeless if he or she is living in accommodation provided by a SAAP agency or some other form of emergency accommodation.
[linky] (http://www.homelessnessaustralia.org.au/site/about.php)
Just because they have shelter, doesn't mean they're not homeless. There are plenty, for example, who live in their cars.
Apparently Armidale has exactly 3 homeless people. I don't think I've seen any of them, but my boy has. You'd think 3 would be easy enough to find a home for :smallconfused:

Yarram
2009-06-04, 06:27 AM
There were two homeless people where I live, now there is one; One was this guy called "blanket bob" who wandered main street asking for money for cups of coffee (which he spends on booze). Apparently he was married and in the Viet Nam War when his wife and children all died in a car accident. This may or may not be true though. The other guy sleeps outside my Cathedral and is always wearing bright red shoes.

ArlEammon
2009-06-04, 12:40 PM
There was actually a French man who lived life like it was in 'The Terminal". He is currently now in a homeless shelter.

Sub_Zero
2009-06-04, 01:45 PM
I don't know exactly how many live near me. But there is one called Chicken Man George. I'm not sure why.

darkblust
2009-06-05, 07:03 AM
how do you know there names?thers one where i live,and he has like 20 coats with him at all times.its weird.

Bouregard
2009-06-05, 01:36 PM
Wow you got some pretty cool ones... We only have those generic drunks/ drug addicts.

And what I really hate are those sitting in trams drinking cheap beer and are in dire use of a shower...

Zain
2009-06-05, 09:25 PM
there was one near where i live, we call him the wanderer, we don't know his real name. Anyway he will walk all around town, like a good 25-50KM per day, no cars and no skytrains

he whas fine aside form that, real nice

arguskos
2009-06-05, 09:37 PM
This probably isn't a popular point of view, but I sorta envy people like Dave Kolek (guy from the other thread and dude in the first post of this one). Not that they are alone in this world, but rather that they have freedom to do as they will wherever and whenever. It's a rare luxury, and though life would be hard, it's something I want to try someday.

Reading about people who have made the best of a bad situation and found something most folk never have makes me wonder if they've got it right, or if we do. Just some food for thought. :smallwink:

Yarram
2009-06-06, 05:25 AM
This probably isn't a popular point of view, but I sorta envy people like Dave Kolek (guy from the other thread and dude in the first post of this one). Not that they are alone in this world, but rather that they have freedom to do as they will wherever and whenever. It's a rare luxury, and though life would be hard, it's something I want to try someday.

Reading about people who have made the best of a bad situation and found something most folk never have makes me wonder if they've got it right, or if we do. Just some food for thought. :smallwink:

Technically, you do have the freedom to do whatever you want. You'd rather have internet access though. So would I.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2009-06-06, 10:18 AM
Let's see, on the main street corner there are always a bunch of First Nations people. Then there's that group of punks near them. Then there's that one nice guy who's name I don't know...