PDA

View Full Version : Easy to play songs on guitar.

Jinura
2009-06-01, 12:48 PM
So I'm beginning to play guitar and have done so for not very long, but I think myself that I've found some of the grasp ( although not much ).
So i was wondering if anybody knew some easy to play songs, stuff like Led Zeppelin, David Bowie, Beatles and Queen, althought I don't know which songs are easy to play. Any easy to play song really.

But on beforehand thanks for taking your time to help me with this :)

valadil
2009-06-01, 12:56 PM
Good luck finding easy Zepellin. Stairway isn't too bad, but it shouldn't be one of your first songs.

The only Bowie song I know off the top of my head is Man Who Sold the World (which was later covered by Nirvana). The riff isn't too bad and the rest is Dm A C F and G I think.

For songs from bands other than what you requested, try the following:

Knockin on Heaven's Door - G D Am/C

Bad Moon Rising - D A G

Running Down a Dream - A G E for the chorus, D E for the verses

Wish You Were Here - G Am D C, plus some easy hammer ons in the intro

This should get you started with D A G with some Cs and Ams in there. You can play 90% of folk rock with these chords. Try to get some Fs and Es in there too. Em and Am are pretty easy once you have A and E.

Linkavitch
2009-06-01, 01:19 PM
Try Iron Man. The solo's pretty hard, so don't try that yet, but the verse and chorus is pretty good. You can find pretty much anything you're looking for at www.ultimate-guitar.com

Also, Smokin' on the Water is, like a 0th level song.

Eye of the Tiger is pretty easy too.

Narmoth
2009-06-01, 01:27 PM
there's always:
Run to the Hills (tab (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/i/iron_maiden/run_to_the_hills_tab.htm), play either 1st string or 2nd string tab on intro, not both)- Iron Maiden (DC 3)
Paranoid (tab (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/b/black_sabbath/paranoid_ver10_tab.htm))- Black Sabbath (DC 1)
Heart of Gold (chords (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/n/neil_diamond/heart_of_gold_tab.htm)) - Traditional, versions by J. Cash, N. Young (DC 1)
House of the Rising Sun (chords (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/a/animals/house_of_the_rising_sun_ver2_tab.htm)) - Traditiona, several versions (DC 2)
Tush (tab (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/z/zz_top/tush_tab.htm)) - ZZ top (DC 2)

DC is not counting solos

Nameless
2009-06-01, 01:37 PM
Stairway isn't too bad

What? :smalleek:
I mean, sure it isn't the hardest song, and hardly the fastest, but it's an extremely difficult song to learn.

Anyway, I recommend some Sabbath. Especially Iron Man and Paranoid. Great fun to play and very simple.
I also recommend Scorpions "Hurricane" and of course "Smoke on the water" by Deep Purple.

valadil
2009-06-01, 01:40 PM
What? :smalleek:
I mean, sure it isn't the hardest song, and hardly the fastest, but it's an extremely difficult song to learn.

I meant compared to other Zepellin. I find their songs really hard to get right, but Stairway is the exception.

DrizztFan24
2009-06-01, 01:41 PM
Rise Above This - Seether Super easy song.

Love Remains the Same - Gavin Rossdale Easy again, with decent amount of chord change to get your fingers used to the movement.

They aren't the variety you asked for, but they are easy songs and I enjoy them. Most Seether songs actually have a pretty easy guitar and they are more on par with your request.

Nameless
2009-06-01, 01:42 PM
I meant compared to other Zepellin. I find their songs really hard to get right, but Stairway is the exception.

The main problem with Stairway isn't so much the actual playing, it's the memorising part.
It's technically a very complicated song, and quite a long one too.
The riffs change a lot throughout the song and it builds up until the solo at the end.

Egiam
2009-06-01, 02:25 PM
She's a Rebel- Green Day

Jinura
2009-06-01, 02:41 PM
Wow, thanks for those quick answers everybody :)

Well Zeppelin is not beginner stuff from what i've understood so far, but i've been looking into "Knocking on Heavens Door" since i kinda like Dylan, but keep 'em comming :)

Klose_the_Sith
2009-06-01, 09:14 PM
Personally I would suggest looking into some AC/DC, while they have some obscene stuff (Thunderstruck :smalleek:) Songs like TNT are both fun and easy to play (so long as you stay away from the solo)

For Whom The Bell Tolls by Metallica isn't too bad either.

Actually, consider any Guitar Hero's first or second tier, those shouldn't trouble you too much and are worth learning.

Raistlin1040
2009-06-01, 09:17 PM
Any 1st Generation Punk, really. The Ramones, The Sex Pistols, The Clash. Specifically, Blitzkrieg Bop by The Ramones=One of the easiest songs of all time.

The_JJ
2009-06-01, 11:25 PM
For your Beatle fix I suggest Day Tripper. The bass line is just plain fun. Elenor Rigby's fun also.

Smoke on the water already got a hit.

I was fine with Stairway until I got to the solo. So much, so fast...

Anywhoo.

Ravens_cry
2009-06-02, 12:29 AM
We had a guitar class at my old high school, and every day, and every chance any other time, it was 'Hotel California'.
So I am guessing it's fairly easy to learn.

valadil
2009-06-02, 08:43 AM
We had a guitar class at my old high school, and every day, and every chance any other time, it was 'Hotel California'.
So I am guessing it's fairly easy to learn.

I'm working on that one now. I wouldn't recommend it as a first song, but I'm liking it for learning to switch between barre and open chords. I think it goes Bm F# A E G D Em F# and the chorus is G D F# Bm GD F# Em.

Linkavitch
2009-06-02, 11:49 AM
Personally I would suggest looking into some AC/DC, while they have some obscene stuff (Thunderstruck :smalleek:)

Are you kidding me? Thunderstruck was one of the first things I learned! All you need to do is figure out how to get the pull-offs right, and you're golden. (Aside from the solo, I mean.)

Klose_the_Sith
2009-06-03, 01:50 AM
Are you kidding me? Thunderstruck was one of the first things I learned! All you need to do is figure out how to get the pull-offs right, and you're golden. (Aside from the solo, I mean.)

Try playing the whole thing through as a beginner without proper calluses. Seriously.

Linkavitch
2009-06-03, 08:33 AM
Try playing the whole thing through as a beginner without proper calluses. Seriously.

I did. It hurt. :smallfrown: (Sorry for bring kinda sarcastic on my last post. I was kinda tired.)

Jack Squat
2009-06-03, 10:21 AM
Curse of the Castle Dragon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRHb2JXKWNM&feature=related) :smallwink:

In actuality, I agree with AC/DC as a start. I think the first song my brother learned was Back in Black. A lot of folk songs are pretty easy as well from what I hear, but they may not be to your taste.

My uncle learned guitar by listening to Allman Brothers songs and copying them, so you don't necessarily have to go the easy route.

Jinura
2009-06-07, 03:57 PM
Lots of good recommendations here, but anyone know of some easy Bowie stuff?

TheBST
2009-06-07, 04:53 PM
Lots of good recommendations here, but anyone know of some easy Bowie stuff?

The riffs from Jean Genie, Rebel Rebel and Ziggy Stardust. They're a rite of passage for any learner.

Jalor
2009-06-07, 06:44 PM
Nobody's mentioned War Pigs yet? It actually gets progressively harder as you go on, but is easy overall. The perfect teaching tool.

littlebottom
2009-06-07, 09:24 PM
sorta depends on your style, but an easy slow song to learn that has a nice solo for starters i think is californiacation by the RHCP , but thats just my opinion.

Jinura
2009-06-08, 07:22 AM
Yeah, I like RHCP, and californication seemed to be decently easy.

Jean Genie seemed to be easy, without to be many changes, so that should also be usefull