PDA

View Full Version : So it is time to apply for a job.

Crispy Dave
2009-06-01, 05:59 PM
Alright I will be applying for a job soon as I just Turned 16. I am looking fro advise ideas or stories of working at any of the places I mention.

In town I have the following places to think about.

Radio Shack: This would be ideal for me and I saw a nice friendly Now hiring sign yesterday.

Hollywood Video: A couple weeks ago they had a now hiring gamers sign

Mcdonalds

Wendys

Taco Bell

Burger King

Subway

Quiznoes

Dollar Tree

Safeway

Fred Meyer:Its a Department store in the Northwest

Several Mini marts: One of which I am a regular customer.

maybe other places So mention any stories or ideas you might have.

Edit: I also would like to know how should I dress when going in? I don't want to go overkill but also don't want to look like a bum stoner kid.

TheBST
2009-06-01, 06:07 PM
Radio Shack or the Video place'll be a damn-sight better than working in McDonalds, but I suggest you apply for everything. It's always easier to get a job from a job and once you're already getting a wage you can focus on finding a job you like.

Other than that I have one word of advice: nepotism.

Crispy Dave
2009-06-01, 06:10 PM
Radio Shack or the Video place'll be a damn-sight better than working in McDonalds, but I suggest you apply for everything. It's always easier to get a job from a job and once you're already getting a wage you can focus on finding a job you like.

Other than that I have one word of advice: nepotism.

I was thinking about applying for my top two choices waiting a week and then applying to the other places.

Erloas
2009-06-01, 06:22 PM
My brother worked at Radio Shack for a while and I wouldn't recommend it. Basically they paid very poorly base and then paid a commision based on what people bought while you were there. He was working durning Christmas with a fair amount of sales and only 1 other person to split commisions with and he still wasn't making as much as he could make base at a lot of other places.

Crispy Dave
2009-06-01, 06:24 PM
My brother worked at Radio Shack for a while and I wouldn't recommend it. Basically they paid very poorly base and then paid a commision based on what people bought while you were there. He was working durning Christmas with a fair amount of sales and only 1 other person to split commisions with and he still wasn't making as much as he could make base at a lot of other places.

well I am fine working minimum so a commission bonus is a bonus for me.

Felixaar
2009-06-01, 06:44 PM
Jobs where you have to work Comission are generally bad, and a lot of retail jobs can be "sales targets! sales targets! arrr!" so I'd ultimately go with almost anything on that list except Radio Shack. The rest are all fine choices for a first job.

On that hand, if you work at Burger King, we'll be working for the same company - neat, huh?

Crispy Dave
2009-06-01, 06:51 PM
Jobs where you have to work Comission are generally bad, and a lot of retail jobs can be "sales targets! sales targets! arrr!" so I'd ultimately go with almost anything on that list except Radio Shack. The rest are all fine choices for a first job.

On that hand, if you work at Burger King, we'll be working for the same company - neat, huh?

Yes but radio shack means I will get like 2 customers an hour and I could be lazy

Canadian
2009-06-01, 07:08 PM
Don't go for any of those.

Get a part time job as a medical receptionist. You can do it at a dentist, optomotrist, doctors, or any other kind of medical office. The surroundings are nice and the work is easy. You just book and change appointments.

Here in Toronto you can make $17 to $22 an hour just for answering the phone. It's easier than all those other jobs and you'll make way more money.

RTGoodman
2009-06-01, 07:17 PM
Get a part time job as a medical receptionist.

Assuming someone with no experience and no education higher than some high school can get such a job. I've never found a job like that with experience in office work AND a bachelor's degree.

TheBST is right, though - the best way to get a job is to get one where you already know someone that can get you one. So if you've got anything like that, go for it.

Of the places you suggested, I'd try Safeway, Fred Meyers, Dollar Tree, or Hollywood Video first. All of my friends that have worked fast food have said it sucks, and especially those that worked at Subway. (Not sure why on that last on in particular.) Retail experience, though, is something that'll ALWAYS help, especially when you want to get a summer job later on at somewhere like a gaming store, bookstore, or whatever.

Radioshack, at least where I am, NEVER has any business, which sucks if it's by commission. Trust me - you think a job where you do nothing is awesome, but it gets freakin' boring after a while. (I'm a substitute teacher... I know.)

Neko Toast
2009-06-01, 07:22 PM
I've got the same problem. Only difference is that I'm a college student, so I need a seasonal job. I've been having a hard time, mostly because the two places where I did manage to get an interview had us fill out the applications on the spot, which is quite difficult. Recalling addresses, names, and numbers of past jobs is hard, and don't get me started on coming up with references on the spot. Nepotism is pretty much out of the question, too. My dad works for an insurance company, and my mom for a lawfirm. Not many seasonal opportunities there.

Anoher problem I have is coming up with a resume. I've never made one before, and some places have been asking for one. Anyone have a guide or advice for making one?

RTGoodman
2009-06-01, 07:27 PM
I've been having a hard time, mostly because the two places where I did manage to get an interview had us fill out the applications on the spot, which is quite difficult. Recalling addresses, names, and numbers of past jobs is hard, and don't get me started on coming up with references on the spot.

The solution to that is to have those facts with you when you go in, preferably on something like...

Anoher problem I have is coming up with a resume. I've never made one before, and some places have been asking for one. Anyone have a guide or advice for making one?

A resume! I didn't particularly look at anything when I did mine (which is actually a CV rather than a resume, since I'm in academia), but ask your dad mom or dad if they can show you theirs. (Or someone they work with - if your mom works for a law firm, surely one of the lawyers there would be willing to print you one as an example.)

TheBST
2009-06-01, 07:28 PM
Another problem I have is coming up with a resume. I've never made one before, and some places have been asking for one. Anyone have a guide or advice for making one?

They only ever ask for references from your last two employers. You can fabricate the rest to suit your application.

Shraik
2009-06-01, 07:30 PM
That's kind of funny, considering I just applied to my first job less then two hours ago(turned 16 roughly 6 months ago). Good luck with applications.(and of those I would choose Quiznos)

Neko Toast
2009-06-01, 07:37 PM
They only ever ask for references from your last two employers. You can fabricate the rest to suit your application.

That just bugs me, because I've only ever worked as a lifeguard before this, and I'm applying for jobs that don't even involve lifeguarding. Somehow, I don't think references from there will work.

Here's another issue: I was 'let go' (aka fired) from one of those lifeguarding jobs because of 'poor work performance' (aka it's hard to concentrate on watching other people swim). That would look bad on any resume, but it's more complicated than that. If I'm not physically doing something, then it's hard to concentrate on it. Can't really explain that on an application.

TheBST
2009-06-01, 07:45 PM
That just bugs me, because I've only ever worked as a lifeguard before this, and I'm applying for jobs that don't even involve lifeguarding. Somehow, I don't think references from there will work.

Here's another issue: I was 'let go' (aka fired) from one of those lifeguarding jobs because of 'poor work performance' (aka it's hard to concentrate on watching other people swim). That would look bad on any resume, but it's more complicated than that. If I'm not physically doing something, then it's hard to concentrate on it. Can't really explain that on an application.

A useful piece of job-hunting jargon: 'transferable skills'. You can put down, for example, how your college courses have involved projects, typing out essays, independent research etc. and from that you can say you've improved your skills at teamwork, computer-use, self-motivation and critical thinking. Same with lifeguarding- your next job might not involve pool safety, but it may involve working with the public, responsibility for the safety of others and so on.

As for being fired- tough one. Best to either leave that one out of your application forms and get a family friend (or a relative with a different surname) to fabricate a reference for you.

Or the best thing of all for padding a resume: volunteer work. Do some; you'll feel better spiritually and it impresses employers.

Best o'luck.

Neko Toast
2009-06-01, 07:48 PM
A useful piece of job-hunting jargon: 'transferable skills'. You can put down, for example, how your college courses have involved projects, typing out essays, independent research etc. and from that you can say you've improved your skills at teamwork, computer-use, self-motivation and critical thinking. Same with lifeguarding- your next job might not involve pool safety, but it may involve working with the public, responsibility for the safety of others and so on.

As for being fired- tough one. Best to either leave that one out of your application forms and get a family friend (or a relative with a different surname) to fabricate a reference for you.

Or the best thing of all for padding a resume: volunteer work. Do some; you'll feel better spiritually and it impresses employers.

Best o'luck.

My aunt is an HR person, and she said that you can get in trouble for not listing things like this.

TheBST
2009-06-01, 07:52 PM
My aunt is an HR person, and she said that you can get in trouble for not listing things like this.

I think your Aunt's just trying to encourage you to be an honest individual. Trust me, I doubt your next job's going to be so high-profile that they'll do a background check beyond the references. You can get in trouble, but that's only if they find out and to be honest, when companies ask for 'references', all they ever usually do is ring the named person up, ask if you did work there for X amount of time and leave it at that.

But if that bothers you, then try asking one of your tutors to be a character reference.

Jack Squat
2009-06-01, 07:53 PM
I don't think anyone mentioned anything about clothing, but I generally side with look at what the employees are wearing, but nothing below a polo/button up shirt and khakis.

Working at a place where the uniform is a polo shirt and khakis, a lot of people come in wearing a t-shirt and jeans and get jobs, but it's always good to stand out some w/o looking out of place.

The best options would probably be Fred Meyers, Dollar General, Safeway, or another grocery/general retail store (i.e. Wal Mart, Petsmart, Dillard's,...). Most video places hire at 18, since you may be the only one in the store or something like that, otherwise Hollywood Video would probably top my suggestions (you basically make min. wage, but free rentals is a nice benefit). When my current job gets bumped up to min. wage (I'm making 6.75 now. In July min. wage is raising from 6.55 to 7.25), I'll be applying at Blockbuster.

Avoid fast food if you don't want to work around a hot, greasy kitchen . I don't like fast food, so I'm not going to work in the industry. For a first job the pay's pretty decent at some of them though.

Mando Knight
2009-06-01, 08:32 PM
The Wal-Mart in my area has a hiring freeze, I don't like working at fast food, etc. Ergo, I'm stuck without an income as well. And thus am cribbing off of my parents again. :smallsigh:

Vizen
2009-06-01, 09:50 PM
When it comes to dressing up...The places you want to apply for aren't going to harshly judge you on what your wearing, especially if its a job where you get given a uniform to wear. But you do want to look respectable, so make sure your clothes are clean first and foremost, and make sure they're something plain or something with a pattern, no flaming skulls!
Of course, if the employer likes you (Maybe your being bubbly and chatty and smiley like I was. xD) though im thinking about interviews at the moment.

reorith
2009-06-01, 10:41 PM
the only reason to work in food service is to tamper with food at the felony level and to commit hate crimes. the novelty wears off after a month.

Crispy Dave
2009-06-01, 10:57 PM
the only reason to work in food service is to tamper with food at the felony level and to commit hate crimes. the novelty wears off after a month.

no four step profit scheme?

reorith
2009-06-01, 11:12 PM
no four step profit scheme?

1. work in food service
2. intentionally ignore safe food handling procedure.
3. ???
4. profit.

RTGoodman
2009-06-01, 11:39 PM

I'm gonna have to say, that's a TERRIBLE idea. Most, if not all, applications explicitly state that, should you be found to have falsified information on applications, they can and probably WILL immediately dismiss you, and that's NOT something you want previous employers saying about you when you're putting in an application somewhere new. And I'm no lawyer, but depending on circumstances that could be considered some sort of fraud.

rubakhin
2009-06-01, 11:48 PM
What you should do isn't to apply for your first choices, but to try applying for all of them. If two or three places want to hire you, you can pick your favorite out of that. Same in the end and your chances are greater that you'll end up with something.

Also, it's nigh impossible to get a job in today's world and you're young and have no work experience, competing with untold dozens of other young people with no work experience. You might not get anything at all, so you've got to spread it around a little.

Felixaar
2009-06-02, 12:47 AM
Yes but radio shack means I will get like 2 customers an hour and I could be lazy

Theres still plenty of stuff to do in a store, trust me, and the whole being lazy thing just makes things feel so much longer.

But, just my advice. Go wild.

snoopy13a
2009-06-02, 10:19 AM

If you've only worked for a couple of months a at place and are fired, don't put it on your resume. If asked in the interview you can say that you couldn't find a job, that you were sick, or you went on a vacation.

It's also probably very difficult to get a summer job in this economy. Those summer fast food jobs may already be filled by those working there full time. Also, jobs that pay by commission often don't have a miniminum wage base. You may only be making $2 plus commission or in some jobs, just commissions. If you're not a people person, stay away from commission jobs.

Dirk Kris
2009-06-02, 10:47 AM
Dave, I thought you already had a job? You know, the one where you regulate and LAY DOWN THE HAMMER on the neighborhood bullies? :smallwink:

Crispy Dave
2009-06-02, 10:50 AM
Dave, I thought you already had a job? You know, the one where you regulate and LAY DOWN THE HAMMER on the neighborhood bullies? :smallwink:

"And these*holds out hands* are not the hammer"

I would still do that because I would be walking to and from work down the place they do their dirty work.

valadil
2009-06-02, 12:07 PM
I've heard terrible things about working for Radio Shack from several people. Commission isn't a bonus. It's your pay. You may get some hourly wage, but because of the commission, your wage is below minimum. I'm not sure if this is true everywhere, but I also heard that employees were told not to take returns at certain locations because the return would count as negative commission.

pendell
2009-06-02, 01:07 PM
I would recommend working at your local movie theater, if there is one. Ushering's easy. Stand around in your vest, take tickets. Sweep up the theater between showings. Man the snack bar. Meet young members of the opposite sex also working the snack bar -- that's how my parents met. After closeup the manager sometimes put on a movie just for the employees -- free. Best high school job I ever had.

Then I got fired from it for lying to my manager.

Don't do that. You can put a happy face on things (e.g "can't concentrate" = "creative, mind never at rest, tackle lots of things at once") and you can keep silent on things you're not asked about (for example, answer truthfully if you were fired, but don't mention it unless you're specifically asked) but do *not* fabricate. Need a reference? Talk to your school teachers. Or your Sunday School Teachers. Or friends of the family. There's always a way and no reason to lie. If you are caught you're almost certain to be fired, and fabricated material is easy to check up on.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Mauve Shirt
2009-06-02, 01:07 PM
My biggest problem is it's impossible to get a job at any store or restaurant or whatever when my only experience is babysitting, telemarketing and some volunteer office work.

Of your list, I'd hope for Hollywood Video. Safeway is apparently absolutely hellish.

Crispy Dave
2009-06-02, 01:10 PM
I would recommend working at your local movie theater, if there is one. Ushering's easy. Stand around in your vest, take tickets. Sweep up the theater between showings. Man the snack bar. Meet young members of the opposite sex also working the snack bar -- that's how my parents met. After closeup the manager sometimes put on a movie just for the employees -- free. Best high school job I ever had.

Then I got fired from it for lying to my manager.

Don't do that. You can put a happy face on things (e.g "can't concentrate" = "creative, mind never at rest, tackle lots of things at once") and you can keep silent on things you're not asked about (for example, answer truthfully if you were fired, but don't mention it unless you're specifically asked) but do *not* fabricate. Need a reference? Talk to your school teachers. Or your Sunday School Teachers. Or friends of the family. There's always a way and no reason to lie. If you are caught you're almost certain to be fired, and fabricated material is easy to check up on.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

this would be cool because we have the last Drive in theater in Oregon. unfortunately all employees are relatives of the owners and I I have a snowballs chance in hell of getting a job there.

thubby
2009-06-02, 01:11 PM
apply to everything. now a-days you'll be lucky to get anything.

most places i would just assume khakis and a nice shirt is proper dress (it's essentially what your uniform is going to be 90% of the time)

i would mention your job hunting to your parents if they aren't already painfully aware of your need. even if they can't help you they might know someone who does. and i even spent a summer moving files and throwing out old papers in my dad's office.

Crispy Dave
2009-06-02, 01:14 PM
apply to everything. now a-days you'll be lucky to get anything.

most places i would just assume khakis and a nice shirt is proper dress (it's essentially what your uniform is going to be 90% of the time)

i would mention your job hunting to your parents if they aren't already painfully aware of your need. even if they can't help you they might know someone who does. and i even spent a summer moving files and throwing out old papers in my dad's office.

I really don't have parents. The adults I'm living with are aware.

pendell
2009-06-02, 03:23 PM
At my high school there was a placement office for just this situation -- the school had an 'understanding' with a number of businesses in the area. Typically the guidance counselor will know where the office is on campus and how to access it.

BTW, if you want a job, why not try anyway, even if you've a snowball's chance? People buy lottery tickets at longer odds.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Decoy Lockbox
2009-06-10, 03:01 PM
"And these*holds out hands* are not the hammer"

I would still do that because I would be walking to and from work down the place they do their dirty work.

I've got the perfect job for you. Get ready...Protection Racket! :smallcool:

In all honesty, I would follow other people's advice and apply to every single place you can find. Since I turned 16 (6 years ago) I've had 4 different jobs (6 counting my highschool internship class), and I got each and every one of them through nepotism or an "inside connection". Its hard out there a pimp tryin' to get a job in this market, and even back before the recession I never managed to get hired by any of the places I applied to. Now I've got a $22/hour internship and a secret clearance, though a friend of the family.

Honestly, your best options are either "beg a family member / family friend / somebody you know to get you a job" or "spam applications to everyone and anyone".

When you are older, gaps in work history become an issue (they might assume you were in jail or something), but when you are young you could always just leave it off your resume. They will probably just assume that you didn't have a job during that period. Now, if they ask you if you got fired, you're gonna have to answer that. I wish you luck.