Level: Sor/Wiz 2
Components: V, M
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: Touch
Target: Spellbook or scroll
Duration: Seventy years, or caster's life +20 years, decided on casting
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: None

The Loremaster Jack Mann grew tired of people copying his spells. He decided to create a spell that would prevent this. Copyrite prevents any spell from being copied from any book or scroll affected, though they can still be cast normally.

Masterial Component: Spittle from a lawyer

Mann's Copyrite
Universal (See text for Mann's Copyrite)
Level: Sor/Wiz 4

Eventually, Jack Mann decided that he didn't mind his spells being used, as such, but that he would like to be given compensation for them. To this end, he created Greater Copyrite. Spells on scrolls or spellbooks affected can still be copied, but only by expending twice as much gold per page, half of which is teleported magically into the caster's coffers.

Winged One
2006-04-04, 12:48 AM
Mann's Copyrite
Universal
Level: ?
Components: V, M
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: Touch
Target: Spellbook or scroll
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: None

The Loremaster Jack Mann grew tired of people copying his spells. He decided to create a spell that would prevent this. Copyrite prevents any spell from being copied from any book or scroll affected, though they can still be cast normally.

Masterial Component: Spittle from a lawyer

Mann's Copyrite, Greater
Universal (See text for Mann's Copyrite)
Level: ?+2

Eventually, Jack Mann decided that he didn't mind his spells being used, as such, but that he would like to be given compensation for them. To this end, he created Greater Copyrite. Spells on scrolls or spellbooks affected can still be copied, but only by expending twice as much gold per page, half of which is teleported magically into Jack Mann's coffers.
Nice concept, but change Greater into a Lesser version and make it the caster's coffers.

Cyclone231
2006-04-04, 12:49 AM
Duration should be caster's life + 20 years, or 70 years - caster's choice upon creation.

Jack Mann
2006-04-04, 12:51 AM
Winged One: Okay, changed.

Borglone: Oh, I like it. Changed.

RoboticSheeple
2006-04-04, 01:02 AM
not to be used with the Skill Spelling(English)...

Jack Mann
2006-04-04, 01:09 AM
It's not a typo.

Ing
2006-04-04, 01:12 AM
there should be an epic level where you summon a Demonic attorny and go before a tirbunal of inevitables to aruge that no one should ever be able to cast that spell without your permission.

Beleriphon
2006-04-04, 02:50 AM
It's not a typo.

I thought it was a first as well, although once I looked at it again I realized it was a clever pun. Those are quite fun.

bosssmiley
2006-04-04, 04:07 AM
Duration should be caster's life + 20 years, or 70 years - caster's choice upon creation.
Originally copyright only lasted 14 years before a volume entere the public domain. The thinking was that if you ain't made your money back in that time the book was duff anyway. It's publishing companies that have lobbied for the extension of copyright to the absurd length it is today.

An interesting spell JackMann, but arguably a pernicious extension of contemporary mores into the D&D world.

Jack Mann
2006-04-04, 04:22 AM
It's a pun, Smiley. Try not to overthink it.

Now, any suggestion for level on these?

bosssmiley
2006-04-04, 04:36 AM
It's a pun, Smiley. Try not to overthink it.

Now, any suggestion for level on these?

Sorry mate, I'm having an over-serious and pompous day today. :P

Levels? I'd say 2 for lesser (a varient of Arcane Mark) and +1 for greater.

pincushionman
2006-04-04, 10:38 AM
does Mann happen to be a rodent who wears nothing but red shorts and yellow shoes? (he's why it's 70 years now)

Winged One
2006-04-07, 10:53 PM
I meant that it's more powerful to completely prevent it being copied rather than to just make it more expensive.

Goumindong
2006-04-07, 11:12 PM
does Mann happen to be a rodent who wears nothing but red shorts and yellow shoes? (he's why it's 70 years now)

give it a few more years, it will be longer.

Also, there should be some sort of "Mickey's Extending" spell which increases the duration of copyrights when they are about to run out. (i am thinking 6-7th level for that)

Gralamin
2006-04-07, 11:19 PM
I meant that it's more powerful to completely prevent it being copied rather than to just make it more expensive.

I agree. Stopping copying is better then half copying.

Jack Mann
2006-04-07, 11:47 PM
They both keep people from copying. One just sets conditions under which it can be copied, and also contains a teleportation effect.

To continue, Copyrite can do everything that Lesser Copyrite can, up until the copier coughs up the extra cash into the caster's coffers, a considerable coup for our canny conjurer.

starwoof
2006-04-07, 11:55 PM
the copier coughs up the extra cash into the caster's coffers, a considerable coup for our canny conjurer.
Say that three times fast.

So...these spells are awesome. My wizard will be researching them, because he's paranoid as hell about people copying his spells. Good work Jack.