PDA

View Full Version : Utalitarian cantrip

Maxymiuk
2006-04-21, 03:31 AM
So the inner monologue went something like this...

Me: "So there's a lone wizard stuck outside in the middle of a fierce winter night. What does he do?"
EvilGM: "He casts Endure Elements, fool."
Me: "But what if he doesn't have it memorized?"
EvilGM: "Then he was stupid and deserves to die!"
Me: "But... can't he just build a fire or something?"
EvilGM: "With his Survival ranks of... what?"
Me: "Er... let's say he gathers the wood..."
EvilGM: "And gets the fire going how, exactly? Face it, he's dead. Frozen like a popsicle that'll make some bear very happy in the morning."
Me: "..."

Ember Hand
Evocation [Fire]
Level: Drd 0, Sorc/Wiz 0
Components: S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Creature or object touched
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes

The caster's hand develops a red glow, much like that of an ember from a fire. While it lasts only a few short moments, the spell lets the caster deliver a touch attack that deals 1d3 fire damage.

However, the spell's intended purpose is to light a campfire when pressed for proper tools or simply wishing to save some time. The caster's hand gets hot enough to set fire to most flammable materials, albeit within reason (the spell will NOT, for example, set fire to a wooden wall of a building, but leave a palm-shaped scorchmark at best).

Dhavaer
2006-04-21, 03:33 AM
According to Tome and Blood, you can actually do this with Prestidigitation. This seems balanced, though.

Orion-the-G
2006-04-21, 03:34 AM
although of course if the wizard didn't memorize this spell then they're in trouble all the same.

TBPBenni
2006-04-21, 03:42 AM
Shhh, our wizard has levels in cheater. =)

chaiyo
2006-04-21, 04:39 PM
o_0 If I had levels in Cheater, I would put all of my levels into it so I could cheat 9th level spells of anything, even Psionics. Ooh, or is it some sort of Prestige Class?

Back to the task at hand... I would allow a spell like this to make a small magical fire on anything flammable. However, it would deal normal fire damage if a creature comes in contact, it would just stay lit longer and be easier to start.

hyenahyena
2006-04-21, 07:41 PM
just cast suggestion on the wood, and suggest that it burst into flames. that would work, right?

but yeah, about time there was a spell just for making a simple fire.

The heat metal spell seems a bit like this, http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/heatMetal.htm

but, its for droods, not puny wizards! so i think this spell would be like, totally welcome.