Llama231
2009-06-02, 06:51 PM
*dust swirls by in the wind*
*it picks up speed*
*starts tearing up crops*
*more speed*
*more dust*
*Cue Ominous Music*
Eventually, the wind and dust picks up so much, it forms a dust hurricane with dust tornadoes.
A man looks out the window and then heads off-screen, returning with a shotgun.
*pulls dust mask over his face"
*cha-chic*
He heads outside as a dust tornado flies by with a cow.
"MOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Soon, more people come out with various weapons. Some get picked up by the wind, smashed by something, drowning in dust, etc.
*cut to black*

[with a generic deep voice]
"One Man"
A guy walks dramatically down a massive field of crops.
"One Destiny"
[same man talking to an older female character]
"Then I'll be all around in the dark - I'll be ever'where—wherever you look."
Back to dramatic walking.
"Wherever they's a fight so hungry people can eat, I'll be there."
Cut to a fight scene with pickaxes at night with crazy action.
"Wherever they's a cop beatin' up a guy, I'll be there"
Cut to a massive flood throwing cars everywhere.
"I'll be in the way guys yell when they're mad an'—I'll be in the way kids laugh when they're hungry and they know supper's ready."
Dramatic pan over fields.
"An' when our folk eat the stuff they raise an' live in the houses they build—why, I'll be there."

Switches to a slightly lighter, epic tune.
Cut to random fistfight.
Cut to people running.
Cut to old guy saying something funny.
Cut to random kissing scene between main gut and pregnant girl.
Cut to cars/trucks trying to run things over.
Cut to old lady saying "PUH-RAAAAAIZ THE LORRRD!!!"
Music and visuals end.

Creepy guy hitchhikes onto a truck on dark and stormy night.
"Name's Joad."
*intense cut flash or something* [Intense Lettering] The
"Tom Joad"
*intense cut flash or something* [Intense Lettering] Grapes
*Hitchhiker crushes a tiny grasshopper's head*
*intense cut flash or something* [Intense Lettering] Of
Hitchhiker chuckles.
*intense cut flash or something* [Intense Lettering] Wrath
"I killed a man"

"Coming [Random Date]" (Also in intense lettering in front of guy walking dramatically down the same massive field.)
Cut to black.

raitalin
2009-06-02, 08:26 PM
Awesome.

Except it'd just be called "Wrath" in red, claw-mark looking letters. Don't want to turn off the audience by letting on too early that it's based on a book.

The Glyphstone
2009-06-02, 08:40 PM
Darker and Edgier, eh?

Rutskarn
2009-06-02, 08:40 PM
I'm not one of them, but there are those who would call this a major improvement on Steinbeck's work.

The words "exasperatingly dull" get bandied about quite a bit.

Jack Squat
2009-06-02, 08:43 PM
I'm not one of them, but there are those who would call this a major improvement on Steinbeck's work.

Me being one of those people (on Grapes of Wrath at least...I liked Of Mice and Men), I think it may be that we're being forced to analyze it in High School. I'm sure it'd have been a great read if I didn't have to make all the connections in it to the Bible, and about 3 other angles of interpretation.

I swear my teacher wanted us to analyze why he used the word "This" in a sentence.

raitalin
2009-06-02, 08:52 PM
I was a huge fan of Steinbeck in HS, though I mostly dug his novellas and short stories. I was probably least impressed with the ones they force on you (Grapes & Mice).

"The Moon is Down" and "The Pearl" were both good. My favorite novel was "The Winter of our Discontent".

And, IMO, everything sucks when you're forced to over-analyze it. Thank you junior year English for ruining "The Great Gatsby" for me!

Verruckt
2009-06-02, 08:56 PM

It's not so much exasperatingly dull as it is dryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

I mean dear god, I know it's the dust bowl, but you don't need your entire book to be a personification of the climate. The only part with anything like a flaring of emotion from the prose themselves was the snippet about the peaches being burned when starving children could have eaten them.

Anyway, I would so watch this Grapes of Wrath directed by the Coen Brothers.

Ridureyu
2009-06-02, 09:33 PM
Wasn't this movie already made many decades ago?

raitalin
2009-06-02, 09:41 PM
In the mind of Hollywood, that just means nows the time to do a darker, edgier version.

Ridureyu
2009-06-02, 09:43 PM
No, they'll make a Will Ferrell comedy.

Rutskarn
2009-06-02, 10:17 PM
You know, the idea of a Coen Bros adaptation intrigues me. I think I could get into that.

Llama231
2009-06-02, 10:19 PM
I made this just randomly off the top of my head to make fun of the tons of remake movies that are off from the original, and/or have much more action, as well as the book itself. Particularly, it also is to spoof the current style of commercials, as this appears to be the way that almost all are done. Additionally, the characters are botched to the point where RoS becomes Tom's love interest:smalleek::smallyuk:, and the Grandpa is for comical relief only.:smallcool:

Dark opening that does not reveal what the movie is about yet.
Starts out with no dialogue.
Violence, Explosions, etc.
Cuts to black.

Deep narrator voice.
One Man... Junk
Quotes over clips from film.

Lighter tune.
Shows various scenes from movie going action, action, action, funny, kiss, action, action, appears to end commercial.

No music, dark scene with quotes and title.
Then the date.

Overall, lots of harsh and abrupt flashes to black or another scene.

I challenge anyone who can find a trailer for an action movie that does NOt go like this.

Except it'd just be called "Wrath" in red, claw-mark looking letters. Don't want to turn off the audience by letting on too early that it's based on a book. :smallamused:

Rutskarn
2009-06-02, 10:25 PM
I challenge anyone who can find a trailer for an action movie that does NOt go like this.
[/spoiler]

:smallamused:

Wish granted. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rO9xhRrsy9A)

Llama231
2009-06-02, 10:40 PM
It seems a bit more comedy or something then action, but close enough.

Rutskarn
2009-06-02, 10:42 PM
It's hilarious, yes, but also a great action movie.

chiasaur11
2009-06-02, 11:27 PM
You know, the idea of a Coen Bros adaptation intrigues me. I think I could get into that.

To be fair, anything by the brothers Coen intrigues, from drama to screwball comedy to martial arts schlock.

Innis Cabal
2009-06-02, 11:28 PM
It seems a bit more comedy or something then action, but close enough.

Its an action movie. Trust me