PDA

View Full Version : Polishing Up A New Monster

Olo Demonsbane
2009-06-02, 11:07 PM
If you are doing the Test of Might, and are not Afroakuma, please do not scroll down.

Chaos

Medium Living Construct
Hit Dice: 10d12+50 (121 hp)
Initiative: +6
Speed: 30ft; Chaotic Location
AC: 28 (+8 natural, +8 armor, +2 Dex)
Full Attack: Longsword +15/+10 (1d8+8/19-20) and Chaos Touch +12 melee touch attack (Chaos Touch)
Face/Reach: 5ft by 5ft / 5ft
Special Attacks: Pounce, Chaos Rage 1/day, Battle Insight, Superb Uncanny Dodge, Spells, Arcane Channeling, Strength of Two, Chaos Touch
Special Qualities: Chaotic Location, Chaos Guard, Random Deflector 1/day
Saves: Fort +12, Ref +7, Will +8
Abilities: Str 20, Dex 14, Con 20, Int 14, Wis 12, Cha 20
Skills: Concentration +19
Feats: Power Attack, Leap Attack, Arcane Strike, Two Weapon Fighting, Effortless Two Weapon Fighting, Combat Casting, Improved Initiative, Craft Construct, Practiced Spellcaster

Climate/Terrain: Underground
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 12?
Treasure: ???
Alignment: CN

Abilities: Chaotic Location: Once per round, at the start of his turn, roll a d6. Rolls of 1-4 state that Chaos is teleported 1d4x5 feet in a random direction. A 5 means that he is in two separate places that turn; roll again for each body. They rejoin at the end of his turn. A 6 means that he is nowhere in particular for that turn.

Chaos Guard: Chaos gains a bonus to his touch AC equal to his constitution bonus.

Pounce: Chaos can make a full attack after a charge.

Chaos Rage: While in a Chaos Rage, Chaos gains +4 Strength and +4 Constitution. In addition, every round he can roll three times on the rod of wonder table and choose which effect he would like to happen.

Battle Insight: Chaos gains a bonus to Reflex saves equal to his Intelligence Modifier.

Superb Uncanny Dodge: Chaos is never surprised, nor flat-footed. He cannot be flanked.

Arcane Channeling: Chaos can channel 1 spell with a range of touch through his weapon.

Spells: Chaos casts spells as a 9th level sorcerer. His caster level is equal to 10+1d6. Roll for each spell he casts.

Wild Deflector: Once per day, Chaos can cast redirect any attacks that hit him for 1 round as an immediate action. The hit a random person within the attack’s range instead, including possibly Chaos and the attack initiator.

Strength of Two: Because of the Chaos’s unique situation, if he wields a weapon one handed, for all purposes it is treated as two handed.

Chaos Touch: When a living creature is touched by Chaos’s arm of chaos, roll on the following table with a d12. Save DC 25
Roll|Effect
1|1d6 Strength damage; Fortitude Half
2|1d6 Dexterity damage; Fortitude Half
3|1d6 Constitution damage; Fortitude Half
4|1d6 Intelligence damage; Will Half
5|1d6 Wisdom damage; Will Half
6|1d6 Charisma damage; Will Half
7|1d6 damage to each ability score; Fortitude Half
8|1d4 negative levels
9|Cursed (as Bestow Curse)
10|The character is implanted with a Slaad egg, which hatches immediately after they fall unconscious; Reflex Negates
11|Roll twice and choose one
12|Roll twice and take both results

Maneuvers: Chaos knows maneuvers as a 7th level Warblade

A Warforged runs closer twoards you, occasionally teleporting in a random direction. One arm wields a large sword, the other...isnt there. In its place is a long tentecle made of some pinkish congealed substance. Multicolored Runes cover its body, shifting as you watch them.

Chaos was once a lowly gnome, fascinated with two things...Machinery, and Elemental Chaos. As his sorcerous powers grew, so did his fascination. He discovered the secret of binding chaos to things and bound some to himself. To his dismay, his limited constitution could not withstand much of this power.

He turned to building constructs. After building an exceptional creation, he realized that the construct might be able to withstand a larger amount of chaos than he could. Green with envy after watching the creature imbibe ten times as much chaos as he could, he hit upon an idea. Building a chaos link, he transfered his conciousness into the machine. This destroyed his body, along with most of his workshop. Unfortanately, it also drove him partially insane and wiped clear most of his memories. With no real purpose and brimming with chaotic energy, he set off into the Underdark, doing whatever his chaotic nature dared him to do at that moment.

Questions, comments, advice? This is my first truly homebrewed creation, and I have yet to finalize his spells or maneuvers. Any suggestions on those would be welcome as well.

DracoDei
2009-06-03, 02:20 AM
As a unique individual you should definitely put in what spells he knows for each of his spellcasting classes, and what stances and manuvars he has.

Also, does "Nowhere in particular" mean he basically vanishes from existence for a round?

With 19 class levels worth of spellcasting+initiating and a bunch of special abiliities, I think the CR is going to be higher than 12, even if he does only have 10 HD. With 20 CON and d12 HD he isn't going to be hurting TOO badly for hitpoints even against higher level characters.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-06-03, 10:28 AM
As a unique individual you should definitely put in what spells he knows for each of his spellcasting classes, and what stances and manuvars he has.

Yeah...as I said at the bottom, I have not entirely finished him.

Also, does "Nowhere in particular" mean he basically vanishes from existence for a round?

Yes.

With 19 class levels worth of spellcasting+initiating and a bunch of special abiliities, I think the CR is going to be higher than 12, even if he does only have 10 HD. With 20 CON and d12 HD he isn't going to be hurting TOO badly for hitpoints even against higher level characters.

What CR do you think he would be? And how would I reduce him back down to a lower CR? Do you think he should have fewer Spellcasting Levels?

EDIT: The way I origonally got his CR was that He was a CR 9 creature put into a CR 10 body. I took that to be CR 11, especially as it could only use one turn. Then I took away a lot of abilities, reducing him to CR 10. I added most of his chaos abilities, giving him CR 12.

DracoDei
2009-06-03, 12:30 PM
Sorry, missed the "not quite finished" part.

As for CR, I don't really know... he has all those casting and initiating levels though....

Olo Demonsbane
2009-06-03, 03:31 PM
He cannot use Arcane Channeling and a strike at the same time. Should I just remove his Duskblade spells entirely? I think that is what I will do. He only really needed them in the begginning when he was being built by RAW.

DracoDei
2009-06-03, 04:17 PM
Well, if they really don't add anything to him, sure... but I would not let difficulties figuring out the CR over-ride interesting monster design/characterization.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-06-03, 10:28 PM
Thanks for your help, but Afroakuma vetoed him on the grounds of being to complex. Which he is, of course. Nevermind, Ill just go back to RAW in Peace :smalltongue: