PDA

View Full Version : Shock Trooper + Pounce

Choco
2009-06-04, 01:12 PM
Shock Trooper allows you to distribute some or all of your Power Attack penalty to your AC instead of your Attack roll on a charge, and Pounce lets you get a full attack action on a charge....

The problem I see is that Shock Trooper was not written with Pounce in mind, and I am wondering if every attack you make on that turn gets the extra damage or just the first one...

Zaq
2009-06-04, 01:16 PM
Power Attack, by default, applies to all your attacks for the entire round, including AoOs. So yes, it should work on all the attacks on a pounce.

Croverus
2009-06-04, 01:18 PM
From what I read of Power Attack, its effects only apply to the first attack, so ultimately pounce and power attack as shock trooper won't be a good mix, because the AC penalty stays, but the attack roll penalty and damage bonus only apply to the first attack. So Shock Trooper becomes more or less self destructive.

Edit, never mind, just re-read it. It does say all.

So go for it, though if you don't kill the enemy with all the hits, I wouldn't lower the AC

Choco
2009-06-04, 01:22 PM
From what I read of Power Attack, its effects only apply to the first attack, so ultimately pounce and power attack as shock trooper won't be a good mix, because the AC penalty stays, but the attack roll penalty and damage bonus only apply to the first attack. So Shock Trooper becomes more or less self destructive.

Edit, never mind, just re-read it. It does say all.

So go for it, though if you don't kill the enemy with all the hits, I wouldn't lower the AC

Ah yeah, I made the same mistake you did, that is what threw me off...

That clears this up! thanks guys

tyckspoon
2009-06-04, 01:28 PM

If you can't kill whatever you're pointed at with a Shock Troopered Pouncing charge, you shouldn't be charging that thing. You should be running the hell away. The other thing to consider is that if you're not focusing on AC anyway, you don't lose all that much by trading it away.

Faleldir
2009-06-04, 01:39 PM
This seems like a good place to ask. Does the AC penalty from Shock trooper apply to AOOs provoked by the charge? When I move, I haven't used Power Attack yet, and the SRD implies that the normal -2 penalty doesn't take effect until the end of my turn.

Sinfire Titan
2009-06-04, 01:41 PM
If you can't kill whatever you're pointed at with a Shock Troopered Pouncing charge, you shouldn't be charging that thing. You should be running the hell away. The other thing to consider is that if you're not focusing on AC anyway, you don't lose all that much by trading it away.

Or you just didn't hit enough. Add Robilar's Gambit and Karmic Strike to the mix to take care of lack of attacks. If you can't kill it with 4, you can probably kill it with 12.

Choco
2009-06-04, 01:41 PM
This seems like a good place to ask. Does the AC penalty from Shock trooper apply to AOOs provoked by the charge? When I move, I haven't used Power Attack yet, and the SRD implies that the normal -2 penalty doesn't take effect until the end of my turn.

I dont think it does, because as you said you havent used Power Attack yet.

Also since this is directly related:

If I were to also do a leap attack combined with the pounce and shock trooper, does every attack get the leap attack damage bonus or just the first one?

Eldariel
2009-06-04, 01:55 PM
If I were to also do a leap attack combined with the pounce and shock trooper, does every attack get the leap attack damage bonus or just the first one?

RAW is unclear, although as there's no statement limiting it to only one attack, it's reasonable to assume it applies to all attacks you make at the end of a charge. RAI is unclear. It really comes down to what you mean by Pounce in game terms. A cat's pounce means, it latches onto you with all its limbs at once hence why it does all the attacks at the end of a charge, plus rake (that is, back legs).

A Barbarian though? He does multiple attacks with the same weapon; to me it simply looks like he pulls some sort of a flurry, which would mean the Leap Attack only applies to the first. Balance-wise, Charging is strong enough as it is; applying Shock Trooper and Leap Attack to only first attack after the charge goes a long way towards fixing that (chances are, they simply weren't thinking of Pounce when printing those; coincidentially, feline creature are fcking brutal with the same feats).

Doc Roc
2009-06-04, 02:12 PM
{Scrubbed}

Eldariel
2009-06-04, 02:14 PM
{Scrubbed}

Leap Attack, not PA.

nightwyrm
2009-06-04, 03:36 PM
Leap Attack, not PA.

Leap attack only modifies the damage ratio of PA, you're still using PA.

Glyde
2009-06-04, 03:41 PM
Cats and barbs.

I would rule that the momentum from the leap is still going, or the barbarian is attacking in midair

Now that's cool.