PDA

View Full Version : [4E] Mulvera Stone (Artifact)

Thajocoth
2009-06-04, 04:43 PM
I want to think up something better for this than the free enchantments, and perhaps make the concordance more interesting, but here's what I've got so far:

Mulvera Stone

Mulvera was a great Eladrin ritualist who liked to push rituals as far as he could. His most famous achievement was a large dome shaped portal protecting a region about 1/4 the size of Ohio. Another of his rituals the players know of bound an ooze creature and a humanoid together. The result retains the humanoid's shape & mind, but becomes made of the ooze creature's stuff. One day in one of his experiments, he teleported from the Feywild all the way into the Far Realm. He went mad there and became a Foulspawn. His son, Mulvera Jr, was able to get him back, but couldn't cure his madness. He wound up trapping his father's soul into a stone, 1" in diameter, so he could continue to try to fix his father's shattered mind before freeing him to the afterlife. Mulvera Jr was eventually charged with treason for unrelated reasons, and no one else knows of the Mulvera Stone.

+1d10 Owner gains a level
+2 Owner is a ritualist
-2 Owner is an aberration
+1 Owner kills an aberration (max 1/encounter)
+1 Owner casts a ritual (max 1/day)
-1 Stone enchants a magic item overnight
-2 Holder or holder's allies end one of Mulvera's creations
-2 Holder allies with or completes a quest for an aberration (max 1/day)
+2 Holder learns a new ritual
-1 One week passes with no change in concordance

Stone starts with a concordance of 4

Angered 0-
Mulvera's mind is warped beyond redemption. The stone whispers to it's holder in Deep Speech to kill... KILL!!!
- Holder can understand Deep Speech
- Holder must make a save at the start of each turn not to spend the turn killing randomly
- Concordance can no longer be gained.

Unsatisfied 1-4
Mulvera's mind is warped beyond recognition. The maddening whispers from the stone speak gibberish.
- Holder takes -2 penalty to Will
- During an extended rest, the stone has a 50% chance to randomly enchant a nearby mundane weapon, armor or implement with +1 Magic
- Holder gains the ability to perform rituals

Normal 5-11
Mulvera's mind is weak.
- During an extended rest, the stone has a 67% chance to randomly enchant a nearby mundane weapon, armor or implement with +1 Magic
- Power (Daily): The length of time for a ritual's casting is reduced to a number of rounds equal to 1/2 the ritual's specified time in minutes. (So a 10 minute ritual takes 5 rounds to cast.)
- Holder can cast the Comprehend Language ritual

Satisfied 12-15
Mulvera's mind is starting to reassert itself
- Holder can understand Elven
- During an extended rest, the stone has a 75% to randomly enchant a nearby mundane weapon, armor, necklace or implement with +1 Magic
- Power (Daily): The length of time for a ritual's casting is reduced to a number of rounds equal to 1/2 the ritual's specified time in minutes. (So a 10 minute ritual takes 5 rounds to cast.)
- It is possible to speak to Mulvera, though he's not really all there yet
- Holder can cast the Sending ritual

Pleased 16-20
Mulvera's mind is becoming stronger
- Holder can understand Elven
- During an extended rest, the stone has an 80% chance to randomly enchant a nearby mundane weapon, armor or implement with +1 Magic or upgrade a +1 item to +2.
- Power (Encounter): The length of time for a ritual's casting is reduced to a number of rounds equal to 1/2 the ritual's specified time in minutes. (So a 10 minute ritual takes 5 rounds to cast.)
- It is possible to speak to Mulvera, though he's a bit forgetful
- Holder can cast the Sending ritual
- Holder can cast the Tenser's Binding ritual

Done 21+
Mulvera, sane once more, departs to the afterlife, but leaves the stone with a little power as thanks for your help.
- Power (Encounter): The length of time for a ritual's casting is reduced to a number of rounds equal to 1/2 the ritual's specified time in minutes. (So a 10 minute ritual takes 5 rounds to cast.)
- Stone can no longer lose concordance
- It is no longer possible to speak to Mulvera
- Holder can treat the stone as a variant ritual book that already contains Comprehend Language, Sending & Tenser's Binding

Arbitrarity
2009-06-04, 06:28 PM
If you have Disenchant Magic item, it's very, very easy to max out the concordance by disenchanting all the magic items produced.
I think there should be a few more options for losing concordance, and in return, maybe start with slightly higher concordance. Maybe something involving failed will saves?

Thajocoth
2009-06-04, 09:45 PM
If you have Disenchant Magic item, it's very, very easy to max out the concordance by disenchanting all the magic items produced.
I think there should be a few more options for losing concordance, and in return, maybe start with slightly higher concordance. Maybe something involving failed will saves?

I'm thinking actually of removing the free magic upgrades, but then the item feels empty and I'm not sure what to put in it's place. I do want to make concordance more interesting though...

Right now, the PCs are on their way to destroy Mulvera's two greatest, most well known creations. His son, Mulvera Jr and his giant protective portal that forced the region to peace for 300 years due to lack of supplies. (At the expense of blocking most divine power and slowly ruining the land...) I'm thinking of having these things effect concordance as well. The monsters they're fighting in the tower are ooze people from one of Mulvera's old rituals, Warforged from an old factory his son found, and elementals from the Elemental Chaos. The next adventure will have a lot of aberrations though.

Holder or holder's allies kill Mulvera Jr -2 (They were sent to arrest him anyway, and it's possible to skill challenge their way out of fighting him.)
Holder or holder's allies stop The Dome ritual -2 (They weren't asked to, but they know it's implications.)

But those are very specific one time events... Well, 2 for Mulvera Jr... I'll have him come back undead WAY later...

Mulvera's big thing though was that he was the greatest ritualist in the region for a long period of time and bent many rituals to extremes that most ritualists would never have attempted. A sort of "mad scientist" of ritual casting. One of the rituals that he created that the PCs don't know about changes an individual to another race of their choice.

Maybe I could replace the free item upgrades power with "You know these rituals while holding this stone".

EDIT: Editted my first post. I think it's an improvement. Not entirely sure it's done.