PDA

View Full Version : What kind of Shaman would you be? (Shaman King discussion)

Xondoure
2009-06-05, 12:23 AM
I decided to start this thread for 3 reasons.
#1: How many play grounders are actually interested in Shaman King. Since it was the manga that actually jump started my interest in the manga community.

#2: To set a place in the playground to discuss the various events that are currently happening in SK KZB. (For those of you who have not heard of KZB, it is a new release of the Shaman King manga in Japan that has extras, as well as an alternate ending that is how the series should have ended, A.K.A, actually progressing to Hao for the ultimate showdown)

#3: If you were a Shaman in the world of SK; what would you do if you became the Shaman King? Who would be your ghost companion? What would you use to form an oversoul? What culture would you originate from? And other related fun. If you answer this question with a real world culture, then you get ultra special bonus points.

So mine:
My reason for entering the Shaman Fight, would be to try and stop the human race from driving themselves into the various doomsdays that await us.
I would probably prefer a knight ghost, that merges with a suit of armor. This would grant absolute defense, and lighten the armor so I can move as if it wasn't even there. Then I could even have a different ghost use a longsword as an oversoul, giving me perfect defense and a formidable offense. As for a culture, a secret society of knights that still follow the old code would be a pretty sweet background for such a character.

So what about you? Are you a Shaman King fan? If not, thats okay. Just head over to your favorite manga sight and enter the Shaman Fight. Shaman Fight...

New reason for thread:
#4: Gauging interest for a Shaman Fight in the playground.

Shades of Gray
2009-06-05, 12:44 AM
I like Shaman King. I got into it via (heresy of heresies) the 4Kids version, but I watched it in all of its Subby goodness online. As for my character:

He'd have a ghost of a factory worker in the industrial revolution. They'd look like a regular ghost but their legs would drift into a smoky brown gray. His powers would mostly be based on smoke and gas attacks. His oversoul would probably be either a pipe or a gas mask. He joined the shaman fight to stop slavery and exploitation. He'd be from Québec, as well as the character.

Ravens_cry
2009-06-05, 01:13 AM
I have read a bit of the Manga and it sounds fun.
Ghost of a Cosmonaut who died in orbit in an Orlan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orlan_space_suit)spacesuit . Though the face appears asphyxiated, it has the fierce calm of one who has seen heaven and stars are visible in the visor. Attacks would include space debris, nuts, bolts and paint flecks moving at hypersonic speed, and an effect that creates a vacuum around the target. Oversoul? A Krechet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krechet)lunar EVA suit. Goal as Shaman King would be to create a drive for manned space exploration throughout the solar system and someday beyond.

Fri
2009-06-05, 04:00 AM
I like shaman king. What's interesting, other than the fight and ghost and everything is, it seems that all kind of magic and real world shaman style is true in shaman king universe.

I mean, we got a kabbalistic golem, japanese style shaman (forgot what it's called), ouija board, angels, old style witchcraft, kyonshi, amerindian shaman, and everything.

Another interesting question if you're interested/know about real world magic styles. Beside your ghost and oversoul, what style of shaman would you be :D?

Athaniar
2009-06-05, 05:19 AM
I read and enjoyed the manga until my country's Shonen Jump got cancelled without no apparent reason.

:sigh:

I really need to pick up the rest of the manga if it's available.

Xondoure
2009-06-05, 07:29 AM
I like shaman king. What's interesting, other than the fight and ghost and everything is, it seems that all kind of magic and real world shaman style is true in shaman king universe.

I mean, we got a kabbalistic golem, japanese style shaman (forgot what it's called), ouija board, angels, old style witchcraft, kyonshi, amerindian shaman, and everything.

Another interesting question if you're interested/know about real world magic styles. Beside your ghost and oversoul, what style of shaman would you be :D?

Very true, but you'll notice that the author took all the ancient cultures and then some. As shown with the Patch tribe, which, while not technically historical, is his fictional representation of Native American Shamanism. Still, if you want to answer #3 with a real culture then bonus points to you!
Note: will edit first post to include this.

Fri
2009-06-05, 09:10 AM
Awesome. Haven't thought about the powers, but for the society/culture, it'd be cool to be either a user of the seal of solomon (the TRUE shaman, as they'd call themself. They'd say that other shaman is their offspring/descendant/splinter group). Of course, that can't be true, but try to tell that to them.

Another would be... ghostbuster style. Aka, magic/shamanism, mad science style!

Artemician
2009-06-05, 10:04 AM
I enjoyed Shaman King immensely, although I only started watching it past episode 30 or so, and later on when rewatching it from the beginning the contrast was *jarring*. I probably don't think I can give a coherent answer - Shamans as presented in the first and seconds halves are *quite different*.

Patch tribe
Apache
Stupid bad translations... grumble.

Fri
2009-06-05, 10:15 AM
How? I never watched the anime. Eventhough there are a lot more fighting with powerful energy beams and giant swords in the last halves, shaman is still shaman in the manga in my opinion.

The Extinguisher
2009-06-05, 10:24 AM
Man, I love Shaman King. It's a great series, and probably the only manga/anime I've ever cared about enough to go out and buy.

As for a character, It would probably be an old god of some sort. I'm not sure which one or from where though.

Ravens_cry
2009-06-05, 01:30 PM
Awesome. Haven't thought about the powers, but for the society/culture, it'd be cool to be either a user of the seal of solomon (the TRUE shaman, as they'd call themself. They'd say that other shaman is their offspring/descendant/splinter group). Of course, that can't be true, but try to tell that to them.

Another would be... ghostbuster style. Aka, magic/shamanism, mad science style!
Bolded for Awesome.:smallbiggrin:

Zeful
2009-06-05, 02:29 PM
Apache
Stupid bad translations... grumble.

You sure? I've only ever seen it translated as Patch, even in the official English (rather than fan translations, which I admit are of dubious quality).

As for the third question. Two axes, which I use for two different spirits, just for the image of it. I thought about having them connect by the handles for a sharp hoverboard, but that's kind of ripping off Trey Racer (Horohoro I think it was, I just like the name Trey Racer (here he comes with your food!)).

Xondoure
2009-06-06, 08:09 PM
The point is that the author used his artistic license more than enough to allow strange cultures that may, or may not have existed in this world.

Xondoure
2009-06-19, 01:46 AM
Alright on to the second agenda in the vain hope of rebooting this thread.
Would you be interested in joining a Shaman Fight in the playground and helping me design the rules? I think it could be a lot of fun.

Extra discussion topic: Favorite character

Mine has to be Faust. His creepiness, the fact that he is a necromancer, his ability to resurrect people, and his overall power of being a bad ass. He just wins in all areas of the board. Although Yoh comes into a close second. I guess my list would go:

1. Faust
2. Yoh
3. Anna
4. Hao
5. Horohoro
6. Ren
7. Lyserg
8. Chocolove
9. Amidimaru
10. Silva

Amidimaru used to be a lot higher on that list, but as the series progressed he and Bason were casually pushed to the side. In fact, none of the spirits besides Kororo got any development whatsoever.

Fri
2009-06-21, 09:35 AM
Just felt the need to post this.

http://media.onemanga.com/mangas/00000143/000193192/credits.jpg