PDA

View Full Version : Music for a Road Trip

Gaelbert
2009-06-05, 07:18 PM
There comes a time in every teenage male's life when the open road beckons for him to travel. Sometimes he goes alone, sometimes he brings a friend or two, but there is always some wanderlust inside his soul that can only be sated by the most manliest phrase: road trip.
These trips can be planned in exquisite detail, or can be completely random and spontaneous. Sometimes food is brought, sometimes it is purchased on the way. The destination is not really the goal of this journey. The traveling is.
This sensation has been bubbling up in me for quite a while now. I tentatively planned a road trip to the coast, to occur at some point this summer.
Today I went to a friend's house in the country. On the way home, I made a critical navigation failure, and ended up halfway towards the next state over when I realized how truly lost I was. This is no small feat in California. This is a learning experience, blah blah blah. The real importance of this occurrence was to make me realize I had failed to plan for one of the most important items: music.
So, playgrounders, tell me. What music is good driving music? I'm talking about the music that plays in movies when The Hero is driving his red convertible down a highway straight as an arrow into the sunset.
Music for driving at sunset or twilight in California, basically towards a beach

The only thing I've got so far is Hotel California.

Finn Solomon
2009-06-05, 07:36 PM
On the road again - Willie Nelson

It's a long way to the top (if you want to rock and roll) - AC/DC

California - Phantom Planet

Otherside - Red Hot Chilli Peppers

Ocean Avenue - Yellowcard

Man of constant sorrow - Bob Dylan

Freebird - Lynyrd Skynyrd

Born to be wild - Steppenwolf

Jackson - Johnny Cash & June Carter Cash

Highway to hell - AC/DC (Yeah, they're awesome)

Gaelbert
2009-06-05, 08:09 PM
On the road again - Willie Nelson

It's a long way to the top (if you want to rock and roll) - AC/DC

California - Phantom Planet

Otherside - Red Hot Chilli Peppers

Ocean Avenue - Yellowcard

Man of constant sorrow - Bob Dylan

Freebird - Lynyrd Skynyrd

Born to be wild - Steppenwolf

Jackson - Johnny Cash & June Carter Cash

Highway to hell - AC/DC (Yeah, they're awesome)

Yes. Except for the Yellowcard. Don't know what's up with that. Many thanks.

Zocelot
2009-06-05, 09:34 PM
If you're going with friends, it's a ton of fun to rock out. If you're going alone, it's a good idea to play music that is a little more mellow, like most of the stuff the above poster mentioned. Above all though, you need to choose music that you (and any other people) enjoy listening to.

Innis Cabal
2009-06-05, 10:24 PM
If you're going with friends, it's a ton of fun to rock out. If you're going alone, it's a good idea to play music that is a little more mellow, like most of the stuff the above poster mentioned. Above all though, you need to choose music that you (and any other people) enjoy listening to.

Disagree 100% with this. Mellow music is more likely to put you to sleep. Thats something you don't want. Loud, upbeat music is always better in situations where you'll be driving for more then 3 hours

Finn Solomon
2009-06-05, 10:44 PM

You're welcome. As for Yellowcard, well, you did mention something about going to a beach, so I kinda threw it in there. :smalltongue:

Decoy Lockbox
2009-06-05, 10:45 PM
Loud, upbeat music? How bout this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdPHbDnHkto). Hell, its even titled "On the Road".

Kane
2009-06-05, 10:55 PM
"Wildest Dreams" and "Running Free" by Iron Maiden are perfect for this.

Incidentally, I submit "American Pie" for the review of the jury for the reasons that A, it's slow enough that one and one's friends can sing along (horribly and off-key) easily, and B, it's fairly decent lyrics.

And even if you don't like either of those, you can challenge each other to try and interpret all the references in it. :smallwink:

RTGoodman
2009-06-05, 11:02 PM
My current favorite driving music? Paul Simon's "Graceland" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graceland_(album)) album. Very California-y, summer-time-sounding, beaching-going music to me at least.

Some other stuff I've used recently included anything by Eisbrecher (assuming you're into German industrial/"Neue Deutsche Haerte"), any '90s rock/alternative compilation (I'm talking Gin Blossoms, Barenaked Ladies, Sister Hazel, Spin Doctors, and stuff like that), and Pearl Jam's "Ten" re-release. Alabama has several good drivin' tunes ("Reckless," "I'm In A Hurry," and a bunch of other stuff on their greatest hits album).

(If you couldn't tell, I've got a very eclectic taste in music. :smalltongue:)

Nevrmore
2009-06-05, 11:34 PM
Road Trippin' - Red Hot Chili Peppers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbDnsKKaH0A)

Faulty
2009-06-06, 01:50 PM
Merzbow probably.

Rutskarn
2009-06-06, 02:26 PM
Everyone else here is doing it wrong.

When going on a long Road Trip, you don't pack multiple songs. Take one song, that you only kind of like, and play it on a continuous loop throughout the trip's entirety. Trust me. It'll make your trip seem like it lasts a lifetime.

I suggest something by Britney Spears.

TSED
2009-06-06, 03:30 PM
All of my suggestions are liable to end up with you smashing your car in a death derby and winning so I'll just say...

Uh..

Screw it, just grab Riders of the Plague and don't expect to make it home.

KuReshtin
2009-06-06, 03:38 PM
To be totally honest, it doesn't matter one iota what other people here think about this topic, it's about what YOU like to listen to.

Also remember that when you're on the road, you will want to be able to concentrate on the road, and not trying to find a song you like, or skip through songs you don't like.

Having said that, I like to just load up the MP3 player with complete albums of bands I like and then just let them play.
Red Hot Chili Peppers, Foo Fighters, Coheed & Cambria are personal favourites of mine, and I also throw in some Chris Cornell, Nickelback and Pendulum for good measure as well.

DraPrime
2009-06-06, 04:24 PM
"Wildest Dreams" and "Running Free"by Iron Maiden are perfect for this.

Incidentally, I submit "American Pie" for the review of the jury for the reasons that A, it's slow enough that one and one's friends can sing along (horribly and off-key) easily, and B, it's fairly decent lyrics.

And even if you don't like either of those, you can challenge each other to try and interpret all the references in it. :smallwink:

This, is what you should get.

raptor1056
2009-06-06, 04:37 PM
My favorite driving music is Emperor's In the Nightside Eclipse, Le Trio Joubran's Majaz, Pink Floyd's Animals, Cynic's Traced in Air, Danger Doom's The Mouse and the Mask, Isis's In the Absence of Truth, and B. B. Kings The Ultimate Collection. Interestingly, most of my friends either insist that I do or don't pick music for roadtrips. My girlfriend once almost drove off of the road three times while listening to Majaz. It is a very trance inducing album, and I recommend the group quite highly.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2009-06-06, 04:47 PM
Red Hot Chilli Peppers makes awesome driving music.

snoopy13a
2009-06-06, 04:56 PM
License to Ill by the Beastie Boys.

Vaynor
2009-06-06, 05:24 PM
Road to Nowhere - Talking Heads

Faulty
2009-06-06, 05:30 PM
Emperor's In the Nightside Eclipse

For some reason this suggestion I found kinda silly.

Anyway, in all honesty, take some light hearted comedic stuff. I dunno, like that Lonely Island stuff or Pop like Scissor Sisters or something.

Decoy Lockbox
2009-06-06, 05:53 PM
Merzbow probably.

He can be fun to listen to sometimes (read: while high), but I don't think I could ever actually recommend Merzbow to anyone. Maybye my appreciation of noise music isn't up to snuff.

My favorite driving music is Emperor's In the Nightside Eclipse, Le Trio Joubran's Majaz, Pink Floyd's Animals, Cynic's Traced in Air, Danger Doom's The Mouse and the Mask, Isis's In the Absence of Truth, and B. B. Kings The Ultimate Collection. Interestingly, most of my friends either insist that I do or don't pick music for roadtrips. My girlfriend once almost drove off of the road three times while listening to Majaz. It is a very trance inducing album, and I recommend the group quite highly.

I like to listen to Emperor while driving at night, but sometimes it can get a little too hypnotic. What does this Majaz sound like?

Klose_the_Sith
2009-06-06, 08:03 PM
Well, I've been sitting on a band that are more or less perfect for this and no-one in the metal thread showed any interest when I linked to them + recommended.

I seriously recommend going down the highway, windows down, blasting the living **** out of something like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JezhLF8FW3g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cagMPE8aTak

Ah Port Amoral <3

EDIT: Taking the Lonely Island is an idea on par with replacing ones eyes with scrunched up post it notes, at least in merit.

The post it note one is howver less likely to get you broken, beat & scarred.

Faulty
2009-06-06, 08:33 PM
He can be fun to listen to sometimes (read: while high), but I don't think I could ever actually recommend Merzbow to anyone. Maybye my appreciation of noise music isn't up to snuff.

I was joking honestly. :smalltongue:

Decoy Lockbox
2009-06-06, 08:36 PM
Well, I've been sitting on a band that are more or less perfect for this and no-one in the metal thread showed any interest when I linked to them + recommended.

I seriously recommend going down the highway, windows down, blasting the living **** out of something like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JezhLF8FW3g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cagMPE8aTak

Ah Port Amoral <3

EDIT: Taking the Lonely Island is an idea on par with replacing ones eyes with scrunched up post it notes, at least in merit.

The post it note one is howver less likely to get you broken, beat & scarred.

Well, you know how I feel about metalcore. I stopped listening to the first song 16 seconds in.

Another great car song -- "Panama" by Van Halen. I don't even really like them, but thats a hell of a song.

Klose_the_Sith
2009-06-07, 07:34 PM
Well, you know how I feel about metalcore. I stopped listening to the first song 16 seconds in.

Another great car song -- "Panama" by Van Halen. I don't even really like them, but thats a hell of a song.

This is not in fact metalcore. 16 seconds? Really? It's probably the best driving guitar work I've heard since And Justice For All (Song). Live with your shame.

Faulty
2009-06-07, 10:45 PM

There's definitely good Metalcore and bad Metalcore. That stuff is so generic I quite literally cringed when I heard it. The Red Chord and Between the Buried and Me are rather good if (to use a /mu/ term) entry level bands. Seeing as Metal can be good, and Hardcore can be good, it makes sense that Metalcore could be.

Dispozition
2009-06-07, 11:33 PM
I recommend the band Earthless (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCEACSH8YBE). Japanese influenced American stoner/psychedelic rock at it's finest :P

I find that Rage Against the Machine are generally good while driving.

Not much else to suggest than that...I don't drive much :<

Gaelbert
2009-06-09, 04:25 PM
I'm going with two other people, all big fans of Red Hot Chili Peppers. I'm driving a mini van with a mediocre at best stereo system, so blasting music is kinda out of the picture. And while I like death metal and metalcore and modern heavy metal, I don't believe my friends do. It's kinda out of the picture. So is indie, unfortunately.
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll get to them when... I get around to them. Soon. Ish.
Also, freeway driving, straight as an arrow. And I'm not worried about going to sleep. I can handle myself and staying awake pretty well.

Jae
2009-06-12, 01:21 AM
Do not be rude at people's suggestions and yellowcard is not even that bad!

As for music I'd suggest particularly brilliant indie mixes that good friends, or one particular good friend, has given you. ESPECIALLY if you have not been properly grateful for such a cd or have yet to comment on it's amazingness.

that is all.

Moff Chumley
2009-06-12, 02:29 PM
The Hazards of Love or The Crane Wife (albums) by The Decemberists. I know you said no Indie. I was deliberately ignoring you. But in all seriousness, HoL is AMAZING, and is more Prog Rock than Indie anyhow.

Remain in Light-Talking Heads (Again, the album). Simply brilliant, energetic, and crazy.

Pocket Full of Kryptonite (Spin Doctors). It's like RHCP, only consistently amazing. Check out Refrigerator Car if ye doubt my claim!

Cross-Justice. It's like Daft Punk with BALLS.

Partof1
2009-06-12, 10:14 PM
Drivingwise, I'm not sure, but I like
Limelight-by Rush
Women-Def Leppard

And Rolling Stones are always good.

Tirian
2009-06-12, 11:36 PM
Everyone else here is doing it wrong.

When going on a long Road Trip, you don't pack multiple songs. Take one song, that you only kind of like, and play it on a continuous loop throughout the trip's entirety. Trust me. It'll make your trip seem like it lasts a lifetime.

I suggest something by Britney Spears.

I can testify that, like a Smokey and the Bandit movie, I once drove from Rochester to Detroit in five hours without stepping out of the car or sleeping beforehand to be with my girlfriend in time for her grandmother's funeral, and the drive was pretty much fueled by the fact that it happened during the week in which every radio station in North America was playing Mambo Number 5 on repeat. It will get your body where you're going, but your mind will be lost like luggage on a cross-country Delta flight.

My road trip stash skews towards the "metal" end of pop music and includes folks like Styx, Bachman Turner Overdrive, and J. Geils Band. There's also something to be said for the driving beat of kitschy seventies bands like ABBA, ELO, and Queen.

Moff Chumley
2009-06-13, 10:23 PM
Are you implying that Styx, BTO and JGB AREN'T kitschy seventies bands?

Also, road trips are the one time it's legal to blast Styx, Boston, Kansas, early Chicago (it's never legal to listen to late Chicago), Foreigner, et cetera.

Tirian
2009-06-14, 01:14 AM
Are you implying that Styx, BTO and JGB AREN'T kitschy seventies bands?

Of course not. J. Geils didn't break out until the eighties.

And I don't know what BTO you're thinking about, but they were the antidote to all of the glam and rock opera shenanigans of the era.