PDA

View Full Version : Spell Breakers & Mana Burn (PEACH)

Saithis Bladewing
2006-04-17, 11:03 AM
I'm usually fairly good at judging and balancing my own creations...but lately I've become blind to the subtle nuances of balance in terms of D20. Because of this reason, I've decided to get the opinion and assistance of others (because it never hurts to get help...)

I've been working on a personal version of a WarCraft D20 system based on 3.5e and I have found that while some aspects have travelled smoothly, the Spell Breaker Class I've been working on has not. I seem to be utterly blind to how balanced it is...

So with that in mind, I show it to you:

Spell Breaker

Hit Dice: d8

Requirements
Skills: Knowledge (Arcane) 6 ranks, Spot 6 ranks, Spellcraft 6 ranks.
Base Attack Bonus: +5
Spellcasting: Must be able to cast 3rd-level Arcane Spells

Class Skills
The Spell Breaker's class skills are Appraise, Concentration, Craft (Alchemy), Decipher Script, Knowledge (Arcane), Listen, Search, Spellcraft, Spot. See Chapter 4: Skills in the D&D 3.5e Player's Handbook for skill descriptions.
Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Class Features
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Spell Breakers are proficient with all simple and martial weapons. Spell Breakers are proficient with light and medium armour.

Level 01: +00 BAB, +0 Fort, +0 Ref, +2 Will, Feedback (1), Spell Manipulation
Level 02: +01 BAB, +0 Fort, +0 Ref, +3 Will, Spell Resistance (4 + HD)
Level 03: +02 BAB, +1 Fort, +1 Ref, +3 Will, Feedback (2)
Level 04: +03 BAB, +1 Fort, +1 Ref, +4 Will, Spell Resistance (8 + HD)
Level 05: +03 BAB, +1 Fort, +1 Ref, +4 Will, Feedback (3)
Level 06: +04 BAB, +2 Fort, +2 Ref, +5 Will, Spell Resistance (12 + HD), Control Summoned
Level 07: +05 BAB, +2 Fort, +2 Ref, +5 Will, Feedback (4)
Level 08: +06 BAB, +2 Fort, +2 Ref, +6 Will, Spell Resistance (16 + HD)
Level 09: +06 BAB, +3 Fort, +3 Ref, +6 Will, Feedback (5)
Level 10: +07 BAB, +3 Fort, +3 Ref, +7 Will, Spell Resistance (20 + HD)

Spell Manipulation (Su): Starting at 1st level, the Spell Breaker can change the effects of duration spells, moving them from target to target and even dispelling them altogether with but a simple wave of his/her hand. In order to do this, a Spell Breaker must first identify all spells cast on a target by making a Spellcraft check. The Spell Breaker can then make an opposed spellcasting check (d20 + Caster Level) against the original caster of the spell (d20 + Caster Level). If the Spell Breaker wins the opposed check, he/she may move the spell to any target within visual range or break the spell with a dispelling effect.

This works in other ways as well. A Spell Breaker may move a negative duration-based spell (such as Doom) to an enemy target. In this case, the recipient of the spell must make the opposed check to resist. Negative duration-based spells can NOT be simply dispelled like positive ones. Spell Breakers may also move spells from one willing target to another without making an opposed check. For example, he/she could move a Bull's Strength spell from the fighter to the cleric without rolling, unless the fighter was unwilling to let the spell be moved.

Using Spell Manipulation provokes attacks of opportunity and requires that the Spell Breaker concentrate for nearly an entire round. The only action a Spell Breaker may take before or after a Manipulation is a simple 5 ft. step.

Feedback (Su): Starting at 1st level, the Spell Breaker's attacks sap and destroy mana. Spellcasters hit by a Spell Breaker's physical attacks suffer Mana Burn as per the spell. The amount of burn is equal to 1 at level 1 and increases by +1 every other level, ending with 5 points of Burn at 9th level.

Spell Resistance (Su): Starting at 2nd level, the Spell Breaker gains Spell Resistance equal to his/her HD + 4. This increases by +4 every other level, ending at +20 at 10th level.

Control Summoned (Su): A creature who has been summoned, for example as by a Summon Monster spell, can be manipulated. Spell Breakers train for such contingencies, learning how to twist and warp the mind of a creature who has been created out of nothingness. The Spell Breaker may attempt to Control Summoned creatures once per hour. Targetted creatures must make a Willpower Save (DC equal to a 5th level spell) else they become subject to the will of the Spell Breaker. A Spellcaster who is aware of the Spell Breaker's attempts to control may make an opposed charisma check to shatter the Spell Breaker's hold over their summoned creatures.

Mana Burn
Transmutation
Level: Demon Hunter 1 / Mage (?)
Components: V
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 10 ft. + 5 ft. per 4 levels.
Target: One creature capable of casting spells
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will half
Spell Resistance: Yes

The user causes a violent combustion of mana in any creature capable of casting spells. A brilliant lance of green energy shoots from the Demon Hunter, striking his/her foe with no other noticable effect. The spellcaster's mana is burned away, taking some health with it.

The Demon Hunter rolls 1d4+1 for every 6 levels he/she has. The end number is the total number of spell levels destroyed by the Mana Burn, with lower level spells being targetted first. Cantrips and Orisons count as half a spell level. The spell then deals damage to the spellcaster equal to the number rolled by the Demon Hunter.

For example: During a battle in the Felwood, Illidan sees a Satyr curse one of his soldiers. Recognizing the spellcaster's threat, he closes to spellcasting range and uses Mana Burn on his foe. He rolls 2d4+2, scoring a 7 on his roll. The Satyr has 2 cantrips remaining, so both are removed for half a point, giving him a total of 6. The Satyr has 1 first level spell left, so that is removed for a single pointing, giving the Satyr 5 points of burn left. The satyr only has 1 second level spell, which is removed giving him 3 points of burn, leaving him with 2 third level spells. There is not enough burn left to remove both spells, so a coin is flipped to decide which spell is lost. Finally, the Satyr suffers 7 points of damage from the spells burned away.

In a similar situation, perhaps Illidan had recognized the threat before the Satyr could act. Perhaps the Satyr's second level curse had not gone off, leaving him with 2 second level spells. Both second level spells would be lost, leaving the Satyr with 2 third level spells and only 1 point of burn. The last point of burn would not be able to destroy any spells and is thus wasted, but the Satyr would still take the full 7 points of damage.

So, please, any comments you have, any suggestions, I welcome them with many open arms. I want this creation to be fun and balanced, which will not be easy and won't be fast...so hopefully I'll get some help. =)

Too weak? Too powerful? Too easy to get? Too hard to get? Too boring? Poorly described? (I did write it at 4 in the morning... >.<)

Thrune
2006-04-17, 11:56 AM
It looks neat, but here are the following problems. First are the problems in the class, second are the typos.
Spell manipulation: It should just be spellcraft, NOT charisma too. That means that it's too easy to do, as you get to add two stats to your roll, wheras he gets to add about 3 points less. Also, why is it nessecarily Charisma? It should be primary spellcasting stat for both the defender and the attacker.
Spell Resistance: Just too much. SR applies to your allies spells, SR of 20+HD means that you can't be healed and thus will die a slow, bloody death. If you do it in 3s instead of 4s, it might work better.

Now onto the typos...
Fortitude is listed as +6 at level 9, it should be +3.
You listed both D20 and +10 in the description of the resistance to Spell Manipulation.
Illidan is more then 12th level. I mean, according to the official stuff, I think he's 20th.

Saithis Bladewing
2006-04-17, 12:01 PM
It looks neat, but here are the following problems. First are the problems in the class, second are the typos.
Spell manipulation: It should just be spellcraft, NOT charisma too. That means that it's too easy to do, as you get to add two stats to your roll, wheras he gets to add about 3 points less. Also, why is it nessecarily Charisma? It should be primary spellcasting stat for both the defender and the attacker.
Spell Resistance: Just too much. SR applies to your allies spells, SR of 20+HD means that you can't be healed and thus will die a slow, bloody death. If you do it in 3s instead of 4s, it might work better.

Now onto the typos...
Fortitude is listed as +6 at level 9, it should be +3.
You listed both D20 and +10 in the description of the resistance to Spell Manipulation.
Illidan is more then 12th level. I mean, according to the official stuff, I think he's 20th.

Spell Resistance: SR applies to allied healing as well? Hmm...well, the whole point of the Spell Breaker as a unit in WarCraft was that it was practically immune to magic, which was both a good and bad thing. As I have failed to mention, I haven't read the actual rules on a lot of things in a long time.

Spell Manipulation: Charisma...eh, I wrote this awhile ago, I'm not sure why I chose Charisma. I think you're right about the Caster Level and Charisma though, will remove Charisma from the thing.

Typoes:
Will fix the Fortitude.
Illidan was actually around 30 (I think...only read it once) in the official material, but...I just used him as an example name, not as a definition of his stats. If it really bothers people, I can change the name to Firebrand or something. Also, during the first battle of the Felwood during the original Reign of Chaos campaign, which is what I had in mind, Illidan had been locked away for 10,000 years and it was his first taste of battle since then. I figure he'd have lost a lot of his old power and skill since then, so 12th level doesn't seem completely unreasonable...eh.

McBish
2006-04-17, 12:06 PM
Seems overpowered at first glance. Also read lips has been taken out in 3.5.

Saithis Bladewing
2006-04-17, 12:09 PM
Seems overpowered at first glance. Also read lips has been taken out in 3.5.

Tis what I was worried about at first glance, but if what Silanas, Vengeance Seeker points out is true then I'd say it's leaning a little more towards underpowered. Lack of healing beyond potions sucks. :o

Thanks for pointing out the Read Lips. I originally started making it in 3.0, and converted it to 3.5...looks like I missed the Read Lips part. :X <_< At least I removed scry, right?

Jack Mann
2006-04-17, 12:23 PM
Spell resistance can be lowered as a standard action. So you can be healed if you want to. Which leads us back to the power of the class.

Saithis Bladewing
2006-04-17, 12:24 PM
Alright, then what do you suggest? The reason I brought it here was so that I would stop bashing my head against the wall and crying over my inability to balance the class. <_<;

Edit: I could halve the bonuses gained each level...not sure if that's too much or too little...