PDA

View Full Version : A question about Master of Many Forms

Asheram
2009-06-07, 08:30 AM
Just a little question to clarify something for me.

Improved wildshape does Not increase the timelimit that one can spend in the wildshape form, right?

Rhiannon87
2009-06-07, 09:23 AM
No, but I think your MMF levels stack with your druid levels when determining how many hours you can spend wildshaped. Not 100% sure on that though.

Asheram
2009-06-07, 09:34 AM
My mistake for expressing myself badly. That's basicly what I want to know.
It doesn't actually Say that it increases with the MMF levels, (just that it increases the HD types that you can turn into.)

I'd say common sense would make it so that the time limit stacks with the MMF... but there's also the fact that you add your MMF level to the amount of times you can wildshape...

So in the end I'm asking you all.

Rhiannon87
2009-06-07, 10:21 AM
My mistake for expressing myself badly. That's basicly what I want to know.
It doesn't actually Say that it increases with the MMF levels, (just that it increases the HD types that you can turn into.)

I'd say common sense would make it so that the time limit stacks with the MMF... but there's also the fact that you add your MMF level to the amount of times you can wildshape...

So in the end I'm asking you all.

I just dug up CompAdv... it's vague, unfortunately. I'd ask your DM. I played an MMF a while back (lots of fun, having the gnome lead the charge into battle and then turning into a rhino), and we played it so that it stacked. IMO, it would make sense for it to stack, but your DM gets final say.

jcsw
2009-06-07, 10:26 AM
I'm pretty sure there isn't a time limit for wildshape anyway.

Asheram
2009-06-07, 10:27 AM
My thanks. *chuckles* A gnome turning into a rhino... aah... I would have loved to see the faces of your opponents there.

I'm thinking of making a druid that specializes in bodyguard detail.
Noone would suspect that the ferret pet of a noble lady is a druid, would they?

tyckspoon
2009-06-07, 10:28 AM
I'm pretty sure there isn't a time limit for wildshape anyway.

There is, you can hold a wildshape for up to 1 hour/druid level (or levels in classes that advance that limit.) That does tend to be functionally the same as no time limit once you get to level 8 or so.

JellyPooga
2009-06-07, 10:34 AM
Though it doesn't say explicitly that MoMF levels stack with Druid levels to determine the duration of your Wild Shape, it was supposed to be in there and they updated it to say as much in the Errata.

So a Druid 5/MoMF 3 can spend up to 8 hours in Wild shape from a single use and has 4 uses per day (without any external factors like the Halfling Druid Racial Substitution Level or Feats)

Asheram
2009-06-07, 10:39 AM
Though it doesn't say explicitly that MoMF levels stack with Druid levels to determine the duration of your Wild Shape, it was supposed to be in there and they updated it to say as much in the Errata.

You, sir. Are my hero for the day. :smallsmile:
My most sincere thanks.

Zeta Kai
2009-06-07, 10:40 AM
There is, you can hold a wildshape for up to 1 hour/druid level (or levels in classes that advance that limit.) That does tend to be functionally the same as no time limit once you get to level 8 or so.

Yeah, I always thought that was insane myself. A good munchkin filter at my table was this:

Me (DM): So you wanna be a druid?
Player: Yup.
Me: Why, exactly?
Player: Uh, they're cool. No real reason.
Me: And if I were to tell you that, at my table, Wild Shape only lasts for 10 minutes per level, would you be okay with that?
Player: Uh, does the party need a Cleric?
Me: Got one. And there's no DMM.
Player: Wizard?
Me: Let me show you the cosmology, & how it pertains to certain spells...

Fuzzy_Juan
2009-06-07, 10:49 AM
I will say, I miss one aspect of the first MoMF from the thin 3.0 book...at lvl 10 the whole shapeshifter aspect Evershifting Form allowed you to change shape a will as much as you wanted. They changed that for the CA version. I am guessing there was some stank Gouda in there, but it seemed the perfect ending to a class wholy dedicated to shape shifting.

In our games, we allow it still. It just seems right.

Asheram
2009-06-07, 10:54 AM
I will say, I miss one aspect of the first MoMF from the thin 3.0 book...at lvl 10 the whole shapeshifter aspect Evershifting Form allowed you to change shape a will as much as you wanted.

The changed it to the warshaper. It's now their L5 power.
Pretty nifty it is, change shape at will during the duration of your wild shape power

Talic
2009-06-07, 11:25 AM
...Huh?
No, they didn't. In fact, that's the only thing they DIDN'T add in.

And as it was added in to Nature's Warrior, I have a feeling that isn't an accident. For your review:

Improved Wild Shape (Su): A master of many forms knows how to use her wild shape ability to assume a wider range of forms. At 1st level, she can assume a humanoid form with wild shape. She later gains the ability to assume the form of a giant (at 2nd level), a monstrous humanoid (at 3rd
level), a fey (at 4th level), a vermin (at 5th level), an aberration (at 6th level), a plant (at 7th level), an ooze (at 8th level), an elemental (at 9th level), and a dragon (at 10th level).
The size limit of the shapes she can assume also increases as she gains levels. At 2nd level, she can assume the form of a Large creature; at 4th level, a Tiny creature; at 6th level, a Huge creature; at 8th level, a Diminutive creature; and at 10th level, a Gargantuan creature.
A master of many forms also gains one additional daily use of her wild shape ability per class level gained.

Add the following text to the end of the improved wild shape ability description: The master of many forms’
class levels stack with other class levels that grant wild shape for the purpose of determining the maximum Hit Dice of a form.

There is no text anywhere that extends the time you may stay wildshaped per use. This is compensated by giving you many more wildshapes than you would ordinarily get.

Compare, a 15th level druid gets 5 wildshapes a day, at 15 hours each. (5 different forms, 75 total hours a day)
A Druid 5/MoMF 10 gets 11 wildshapes a day, at 5 hours each. (11 different forms, 55 total hours a day)

Note, both are overkill on the time you can spend in form. The MoMF trades some of that overkill for versatility in form.

MoMF levels give you additional size, additional creature type options, and stack for determining the HD you can turn into, but that's all.

JellyPooga
2009-06-07, 11:46 AM
stuff

Huh, I could have sworn it said it stacked for duration as well...it's been a while since I actually read the errata, admittedly. Ah well, you're still looking at literal all-day Wild Shape at level 9 with 5 Wild shapes per day for 5 hour duration each (practically speaking, you get it at level 6...Wild Shape 2/day for 5 hours each).

Fuzzy_Juan
2009-06-07, 05:14 PM
Ahh, i see, so then the path is Druid 5, MoMF 10, then Warshaper 5...takes slightly longer but still good...

I will say though, glancing at warshaper, that first level is neat...immunity to stunning and sneak attacks, lol...nearly worth it just for that.

Asheram
2009-06-07, 05:21 PM
Ahh, i see, so then the path is Druid 5, MoMF 10, then Warshaper 5...takes slightly longer but still good...

I will say though, glancing at warshaper, that first level is neat...immunity to stunning and sneak attacks, lol...nearly worth it just for that.

Morphic Body and Morphic Healing isn't too bad either. :smallwink: