PDA

View Full Version : Prestige Class: Numismancer (PEACH)

Yossarian
2006-04-23, 07:32 PM
I was brainstorming prestige classes for a contest being run by another site I frequent when this idea popped into my head and I couldn't get it out. It's a little too quirky to be of much use for the contest but I just couldn't resist the urge to write it up. In spite of the somewhat odd theme, this really is meant as a serious class.

The Numismancer

Some people say that money is power; the numismancer proves the truth behind this credo. Coins are treasured (almost even worshipped) by millions if not billions of creatures every day, instilling them with powerful sympathetic magic. Numismancers tap the powerful symbolic force behind the common coin, weaving it together with more conventional magic to create a variety of effects.

Numismancers arrive at their unique art through a variety of paths. Some merely dabble in mundane coin tricks and minor illusions before stumbling across the true potential of numismancy; others take up the practice for more utilitarian reasons, for the numismancer needs no weapons and no materials save what he carries in his coin pouch. A bard or rogue of arcane inclination may be attracted to the idea of a school of magic that combines their twin interests of money and magic.

BAB progression: As Wizard
Good saves: Will
Poor saves: Fort, Ref
Hit die: d4

Requirements
To qualify to become a numismancer, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Skills: Appraise 5 ranks, Sleight of Hand 5 ranks.
Spells: Able to cast 3rd-level arcane spells.

Class Skills
The numismancer's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise (Int), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Profession (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), and Spellcraft (Int).

Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int modifier.

Level/Abilities
1 Coin Trick (0th), Coin Toss, Alternate Materials
2 Coin Trick (1st)
3 Coin Trick (2nd), Imbue Coin (area), Numismatic Magnet +1
4 Coin Trick (3rd)
5 Coin Trick (4th), Detect Coins
6 Coin Trick (5th), Numismatic Magnet +2
7 Coin Trick (6th), Imbue Coin (touch)
8 Coin Trick (7th)
9 Coin Trick (8th), Numismatic Magnet +3
10 Coin Trick (9th), Coin Conjuring

Coin Tricks per day

Level 0th 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th
1 1 - - - - - - - - -
2 1 1 - - - - - - - -
3 1 1 1 - - - - - - -
4 2 1 1 1 - - - - - -
5 2 1 1 1 1 - - - - -
6 2 2 1 1 1 1 - - - -
7 2 2 1 1 1 1 1 - - -
8 3 2 2 1 1 1 1 1 - -
9 3 2 2 1 1 1 1 1 1 -
10 3 3 2 2 1 1 1 1 1 1

Class Features:

Spells per Day
When gaining a new numismancer level other 1st, 5th, or 9th, the character gains new spells per day as if he had also gained a level in whatever arcane spellcasting class he belonged to before he added the prestige class. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained.

If a character had more than one arcane spellcasting class before he became a numismancer, he must decide to which class he adds each level of numismancer for the purpose of determining spells per day.

Alternate Materials (Su)
When casting a spell with a material component, the numismancer may substitute a number of coins of equivalent value to the materials normally called for. Any coins consumed in this fashion turn to dust and become worthless. Coins to be used for this purpose must be of a variety actually used in circulation (past or present) in order to be useable.

Coin Trick (Sp)
At 1st level, and each level afterwards, the numismancer learns 1 coin trick. The numismancer may select any spell he can cast of any level lower than his current numismancer class level, provided that a coin or pile of coins would be a legal target for the spell. The numismancer may now use that spell on a coin or group of coins (subject to the spell's normal targetting restrictions) once per day as a spell-like ability (caster level twice the numismancer's class level).

If the spell chosen for the coin trick has an XP requirement to cast, the numismancer must still pay the XP requirement to use it. If it has a costly material component, the numismancer may either use his Alternate Materials ability to substitute an equivalent value in coins or else pay XP equivalent to 10 times the component's value in gp.

Beginning at 4th level, a numismancer is able to use lower-level coin tricks more than once per day, as per the progression in the table above.

Coin Toss (Ex)
A numismancer may use coins as improvised thrown weapons without taking a -4 penalty on the attack roll. Treat coins as ranged weapons that have a range increment of 10' and deal 1 point of damage (plus 1/2 Str mod). Like shuriken and other small thrown weapons coins may be treated as ammunition for purposes of drawing them.

Numismatic Magnet (Su)
Starting at 3rd level, a numismancer can focus in on concentrations of coinage to hone the effectiveness of his magic. The save DC of the numismancer's spells is increased by 1 for subjects carrying at least 1,000 gp worth of coins on their person.

This modifier increases to +2 at 6th level and +3 at 9th level.

Imbue Coin (Su)
After reaching 3rd level, a numismancer can imbue a spell into a coin as part of its casting. When casting a spell with an area of a burst, emanation, or spread effect, a numismancer may as a free action throw a coin and use the coin's destination as the point of origin for the spell's effect; treat the coin as a thrown splash weapon with a range increment of 10' for purposes of aiming. The effect is centered on the coin's destination and not the coin itself; once the spell takes effect, moving the coin further has no influence on the spell's area of effect.

After reaching 3rd level, a numismancer may pick as his coin trick each level a spell with a burst, emanation, or spread area effect eligible to be used with the imbue coin ability, but these coin tricks are limited to spells at least two levels lower than his current numismancer level.

At 7th level, a numismancer may also imbue coins with any spell with a range of touch. As part of casting a touch spell, the numismancer may make a ranged touch attack with a thrown coin rather than a standard melee touch. If a spell can be cast on multiple touched targets, throwing an imbued coin has no effect on the numismancer's ability to touch other targets as per the normal rules for such spells. A numismancer holding the charge on a touch spell may throw an imbued coin as a standard action; if the coin misses, the spell is not discharged and the numismancer may attempt another touch in future rounds (either as a standard touch attack or with another imbued coin) for as long as the charge is held. Upon attaining this level, the numismancer may now select as coin tricks any spell with a range of touch, provided that it is three or more levels below his current class level.

Detect Coins (Sp)
At 5th level, the numismancer gains the ability to detect the presence of coins in an cone-shaped area in front of the numismancer up to 60' away. The numismancer can tell the general location and rough number (in terms of order of magnitude), but not value, of a each group of coins in the area affected. This ability can penetrate barriers, but 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood or dirt blocks it.

This effect may be activated a number of times per day equal to the numismancer's Charisma modifier (minimum 1) and lasts as long as the numismancer continues to concentrate on it, up to a maximum of 1 minute per class level.

Coin Conjuring (Sp)
Upon attaining 10th level, the numismancer gains the ability to conjure up coins out of thin air. As a standard action the numismancer may create one or more standard gold, silver, or copper coins in his palm, up to a maximum number of coins per week equal to his numismancer class level plus his Charisma modifier.

So... what do you think? I tried to balance it vs. the archmage and the daggerspell mage, as those are the closest equivalents I could think of. The number of spell-like abilities might be a bit high in spite of the lost caster progression and the limitations on which spells can be learned as coin tricks, but this setup seemed like a good starting point.

Corestimah
2006-04-23, 07:57 PM
Amusing and interesting. My greatest objection is the Coin Conjuring ability. It is far too powerful. Any comparible spell or ability ALWAYS has an XP cost, usually either 1 XP/GP value of the object(s) created (Minimum 1 XP) or 1XP/5GP. Add an XP cost, and you should have a balanced ability.

chaiyo
2006-04-23, 07:58 PM
Hm. It's a monetary-based caster PrC- but I think it works. Well. However, you forgot one thing- caster level. It should increase over a three-quarters to full progression, in my opinion. Also, something should happen with platinum coins and the Coin Toss and Coin Trick abilities. But that may just be me.

Yossarian
2006-04-23, 10:13 PM
Ok, I admit that being able to pull money out of thin air at no cost is very powerful. But... we're talking about 10-20 gp per day, depending on Charisma mod. Given enough time that could add up to quite a lot, but it doesn't seem worth it to bother tracking such piddly amounts of XP on a day by day basis. Maybe I should change the limit to per week, instead; that way a 10th level numismancer can still come up with things to throw spells with, but it doesn't add up as quickly if you take an extended break from adventuring.

As for spellcasting progression: oops! I took out the big table with BAB/fort/ref/will/spells because I couldn't get it to format nicely for this board, although it's still listed under spells per day in the class features. Originally I had it as 4/5ths progression, the idea being that losing 2 levels of caster progression compensates for getting a bunch of spell-like abilities (even if you're rather limited in your choices, especially at lower levels), but on second thought maybe 3/4 might be more balanced.

F.L.
2006-04-24, 08:52 AM
I had a few ideas for spells or spell like abilities that fit the theme. Here they are:

Fistful of GP
Transmutation
Level: Numismancer 4
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: Standard Action
Range: Self
Target: Self
Duration: 1 round/level (D)
Saving Throw: No
Spell Resistance: No
The caster grabs a fistful of gold coins. The caster may then use their weighted fist as a proficient weapon, gaining improved unarmed strike and +2 to hit with it. It does damage as a sap (1d6 subdual X2 Crit). If the caster attacks an opponent who has lost their dexterity modifier to AC, the caster does additional sneak attack subdual damage as a rogue of half their caster level.

Focus: A stack of at least 20 GP

Feat:
Coin Vanish
By making a Sleight of Hand check as a standard action, the Numismancer may plant a coin in the equipment or ear or mouth of a target. If the Numismancer is of at least 3rd level, an imbued coin may be planted instead. The Numismancer may delay the spell effect of a planted coin for a number of rounds equal to their Numismancer level.

Here's a copper, call somebody who cares
Evocation
Numismancer 5
V,M
Range: Short
Target: 1 coin
Duration: Until discharged (D)
Saving Throw: No(harmless)
Spell Resistance: No
The caster links a coin to themself. If another creature tosses it into the air, they can immediately contact the caster, as the spell whispering wind. Further, the caster will immediately know where the coin user is. This expends the magic in the coin, which becomes normal afterwards. The caster may send a spell of 2nd level or less back through the connection.
Material Component: 1 coin and 25 copper pieces

Filthy Lucre
Transmutation
Numismancer 2
V,S,M
Range: Cone emenating from caster
Target: 15' wide by 25' long cone
Duration: Instant (D)
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates
Spell Resistance: Yes
The caster throws 50+1d50 coins outward in a cone. Creatures caught in the cone are subject to 1d4+1 coin hits for 1 bludgeoning damage each. By realizing that all money changes hands with all the sick, filthy people in the world, the diseases on the coins are amplified by the caster. The targets hit by the coins must make a fortitude save of DC (10+Numismancer levels) or contract filth fever of the same DC, which immediately takes effect.
Material components: 100 coins, and a moldering piece of clothing

Com(pounding) interest
Conjuration
Numismancer 5
V,S,M
Range: Medium
Target: 1 creature per 2 Numismancer levels
Duration: Concentration, or 1+1/2 Numismancer level rounds (D)
Saving Throw: Reflex partial
Spell Resistance: Yes
The Numismancer conjures a single coin for each creature they target. The next round, there are 2 coins floating in the air for each target. The next round, there are 4. When the spell duration ends, or the numismancer stops concentrating, the coins fly at a high rate of speed in a dense pattern, pelting the target. The target takes 1 damage per coin, with a reflex save for half damage. Note, characters with evasion or improved evasion will still be hit with at least half of the homing coins.

Well, those are just some ideas I came up with, use them or not as you see fit.