PDA

View Full Version : Autohypnosis

wykydtron
2009-06-07, 10:47 PM
So is this or is this not the best skill you have ever seen?

Autohypnosis (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Autohypnosis)

I mean really, at Epic Levels not only do you not die, you gain damage reduction to everything for the next 12 hours.

Also has anyone seen/used this in a reall game and if so could you tell me how well it works?

Saph
2009-06-07, 10:58 PM
It's a very good skill; it allows you to do all sorts of useful things. I've found the Resist Fear and Resist Dying abilities to be particularly good when I've seen them in play.

But forget about the epic uses you mentioned. DR 2/- and 15 temp HP once a day really don't matter at epic levels. But hey, it's not like they cost you anything, so you might as well use them.

- Saph

Draken
2009-06-07, 11:05 PM
A DC 60 skill check to acquire DR 2/- (that does not stack with any other DR) is really lackluster. The temporary hit points one as well.

The one epic check that can, perhaps, be interesting, is the DC 30 check that mimics the Diehard feat. Then again, you could just take the diehard feat.

Eldariel
2009-06-07, 11:10 PM
It's a very good skill; it allows you to do all sorts of useful things. I've found the Resist Fear and Resist Dying abilities to be particularly good when I've seen them in play.

But forget about the epic uses you mentioned. DR 2/- and 15 temp HP once a day really don't matter at epic levels. But hey, it's not like they cost you anything, so you might as well use them.

- Saph

The good news is that they're so low they're very accessible sub-epic. 30 is achievable by level 10 easily without items boosting the skill (especially since even synergy exists for it - 13 ranks + 7 wisdom + 2 ranks does it on 8). 60 takes bit of boosting, but a Wis-focused character with an item or Item Familiar can easily make it should he choose so (because that opens up Insight-bonuses and such; 60 is only one Moment of Prescience away from 30).

Noticably out of the base classes, Factotum with maxed Autohypnosis and some Wisdom can use the "add Factotum class level to a skill check"-ability to easily reach those numbers mid-levels. Free Diehard around level 10 doesn't really sound all that bad, nor does a free False Life each morning. Nothing major, but if you have the skillpoints to pump, go ahead. Coincidentially, "negate poison secondary" is completely trivial to make - actually easier than a generic save. And the DR, while miniscule, is still free.

Alleine
2009-06-07, 11:13 PM
Where did the epic rules for autohypnosis come from? I've never seen them before and can't find them in either the XPH or ComPsi.

wykydtron
2009-06-07, 11:14 PM
They're at the bottom of the page I put up.

Eldariel
2009-06-07, 11:14 PM
Where did the epic rules for autohypnosis come from? I've never seen them before and can't find them in either the XPH or ComPsi.

Where all epic stuff comes from, SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/skills.htm#autohypnosis).

Alleine
2009-06-07, 11:20 PM
Strangely enough, there is no link to epic autohypnosis from regular autohypnosis like there is with every other skill that has epic checks. Huh.

And I meant bookwise. Found it in the Epic Level Handbook. Probably shoulda seen that one coming :smallsigh:

Emy
2009-06-08, 02:20 AM
It's also pretty cool as a low level Factotum. Even at level 1 with 12 wis and 4 skill ranks, you can automatically succeed a Memorize check outside of combat (take 10). Useful for social stuff like travel/bank documents, forgery, puzzles. There's no limit to the amount of information you can store, and it never goes away.

J.Gellert
2009-06-08, 04:03 AM
It's good, but I never seem to find the skill ranks to buy it.

For me, it feels like 'Well, that's awesome, but there are other things I must have before it.'

Waspinator
2009-06-08, 01:17 PM
I have to agree. It is a pretty neat skill that you can do some nice stuff with.

Optimystik
2009-06-08, 02:14 PM
It should really be a class skill for monks. I'm glad they're merging monks and psionics in 4e, the two concepts just taste great together.

Like peanut butter... and chocolate.

Lord_Drayakir
2009-06-08, 02:25 PM
Man, I always thought that Psions were fricking overpowered.

"Here, take your best stat. Now you use for spellcasting."

"You can cast these great spells, you have a million ways to regain power points, and if you want, you can run on walls, always have Mage Armor running, and you can even use some abilities without using power points."

What the hell?

hamishspence
2009-06-08, 02:27 PM
that was 3.0. 3.5 psions all use same stat.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-06-08, 02:29 PM

"You can cast these great spells, you have a million ways to regain power points, and if you want, you can run on walls, always have Mage Armor running, and you can even use some abilities without using power points."

What the hell?That...doesn't sound like 3.5. In 3.5, it's far better balanced than vancian casting.

Optimystik
2009-06-08, 02:38 PM

What the hell?

"Oh, by the way, your spells will never scale with your level, so you have to blow power points augmenting them just to keep up with regular casters. Don't forget that all your useful feats require you to burn a move action, and if you were silly enough not to get Psionic Meditation, you have to burn a standard action instead. Also, if you specialize - and you have to - you'll be pretty good at one thing and utterly fail at the others. Oh, and good luck buffing anyone but yourself, casting illusion spells, and changing the powers you know (it's even harder for them than for sorcerers.)"

Yeah, definitely overpowered :smallsigh:

Chronos
2009-06-08, 09:52 PM
It's good, but I never seem to find the skill ranks to buy it.Yeah, and most of the uses are only really worthwhile if you max it. If you don't max it, then you might as well just roll saving throws against poison, like everyone else.

Lamech
2009-06-08, 10:22 PM
"Oh, by the way, your spells will never scale with your level, so you have to blow power points augmenting them just to keep up with regular casters. Don't forget that all your useful feats require you to burn a move action, and if you were silly enough not to get Psionic Meditation, you have to burn a standard action instead. Also, if you specialize - and you have to - you'll be pretty good at one thing and utterly fail at the others. Oh, and good luck buffing anyone but yourself, casting illusion spells, and changing the powers you know (it's even harder for them than for sorcerers.)"

Yeah, definitely overpowered :smallsigh:
Bestow power (with cost reducers) Synchronicity (with twin/quicken especially with metapower or a psycrystal and metamorphosis or affinity field) physic reformation (this is probably going to benefit the other party members more, but it is really valuable) metamorphic transfer (protean scourge, hydra, choker ect.).
Yeah, definitly overpowered :smallamused:

Anyway Autohypnosis is a really cool skill. Photographic memory for the win! Never forget anything. Again. Ever. What happens if you memorize a library or book that gives knowledge check bonuses.

Alleine
2009-06-08, 10:42 PM
Yeah, definitly overpowered :smallamused:

No more than regular magic. I'm pretty sure wizards invented the word 'broken' just so they could describe what they will do to you if you ever mess with them, or think about messing with them, or have the possibility of messing with them. :smallamused:

Yeah, non-epic usages for it are pretty fun, and extremely useful at low levels.
It says something about the rest of the team when the psion is the only one willing to run across that field of poisoned caltrops.