PDA

View Full Version : RtTOEE - new character needed

TomTheRat
2009-06-08, 03:32 PM
Well, we've been running TOEE for 3 or so years now, and my long running Rogue 5/Thief-Acrobat 5 just got destruction (www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/destruction.htm)ed into oblivion. The party is all level 10 and we're starting on the push into the Outer Fane.

I've since rerolled a stupid Barbarian, but I'm expecting him to die pretty quickly.

The question to the masses: The party is in need of a very survivable, very high-save tank type of character, but rolling a straight paladin or a fighter seems kind of boring. Any suggestions on a character of level 10 which would be able to tank the Outer/Inner Fane?

Added bonus would be the ability to disable casters, escpecially clerics.

The party is currently rogue/wizard/cleric/cleric/ranger/barb(mine).

Starting loot would be wealth by level for level 10. Also the GM is very picky about splatbooks, so anything medium cheese level and up is forbidden.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-06-08, 03:39 PM
Warblade or Crusader(ToB).

TomTheRat
2009-06-08, 03:51 PM
Yeah, I know, Tome of Battle. GM probably won't want anything out of there. The game started with him demanding core classes only. It is a little looser now, but not much.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-06-08, 03:55 PM
Dang. The problem is going melee and getting a good will save. Paladin, perhaps?

TomTheRat
2009-06-08, 04:08 PM
I ransacked the books looking for fairly simple builds that make sense.

Fighter/Paladin could be ok. Higher levels of Paladin are pretty useless. But even with all of the Feats and such I can play with, getting all 3 saves above 15 or so will be nearly impossible.

I'm half thinking (God I hate saying this) of Monk. Focus on grappling and high saves, and become a specialized caster-stopper.

Eldariel
2009-06-08, 04:21 PM
Eh, Barbarian with Steadfast Determination, or Fighter with Resolute if you wanna be melee with good Will-saves. The Barbarian Intimidator could actually be pretty solid if you can pump out good Str/Dex/Con/Cha. But yeah, Barbarian/Fighter can have great Fort & Will-saves given PHBII or Complete Champion.

Of course, you could just be a straight Druid. They have incredible saves (best in the game), incredible tanking ability, an animal companion with incredible tanking ability, full casting and thus, the ability to destroy other spellcasters. Cleric falls under the same category; build a Clericzilla with Divine Defiance [FCII] and maybe Greater Anyspelled [Spell Compendium] Battlemagic Perception [Heroes of Battle] and go to town with countermagic and melee smashery.

RTGoodman
2009-06-08, 05:41 PM
I'd still maybe look into Paladin. See if you can get the Charging Smite alternate class feature from (I think) PHB2 where you trade in your mount for the ability to do more damage when your charge AND Smite. After that, grab Power Attack and some of the other PA-boosting feats to do some damage and maybe even the Serenity feat (from some Dragon Magazine) that lets you use Wis instead of Charisma for your Paladin abilities.

Or heck, if he'd allow PHB2 material, what about a Knight? Very tank-y, could combine well with a couple of levels of Paladin, and most of the above advice.

The White Knight
2009-06-08, 05:54 PM
Cleric 4/Fighter 1/Prestige Paladin 3/Ordained Champion 2. Get your DM to sub the Mounted Combat requirements for Prestige Paladin for something else, and swap the special mount for Charging Smite. Or don't; you'll still be pretty useful. You'll have caster level 7, BAB 9, saves that will make the bad guys cry (especially if you can finnagle the Serenity (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Serenity,all) feat to alleviate some MAD). Or do Cleric 6/Prestige Paladin 3/Ordained Champion 1 for some better casting potential and less smiting for the time being. Either way, take some more OC, then head into some Clericy PrC that gives full casting and medium BAB (and preferably Turning progression, for maximum OC smite usefulness) for the rest of your un-epic career.

EDIT: sorry, just read the splatbook stipulations. Worth a try, at least.

herrhauptmann
2009-06-08, 07:08 PM
Pious Templar (CD), I think you get cleric spells, but good fort and will. Gain mettle (like evasion, but fort and will effects)
2 levels Deepwarden(ROS), con to AC.
Occult slayer (CW) do a lot of damage against casters and thing swith spell-like abilities. It's a 5 level PRC, entry around level 6 or 7

Feats
Steadfast determination
Shield ward (if you're using a shield)

Alternate options.
Play a Bariaur (BoED, Manual of Planes?, MM-X)
Be an ubercharger with mounted combat feats, because you are your mount.