PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have any medical advice?

Neko Toast
2009-06-08, 09:22 PM
I've been feeling ill as of recently, and the symptoms I've been having don't seem to point at any illness I know of myself. I want to see the doctor, but my parents think that I should just suck it up, especially now that I have a "job" (that I will most likely quit by the end of the week, no matter what my parents say. Telemarketing sucks) that I must go to every morning.

Some of the symptoms are stomach upset, nausea, abdominal pain, diarrhea, stomach growling, stuffy nose, and I had a sore throat earlier on. These have been coming about since Saturday, and the symptoms disappear from time to time. I usually feel just fine during the day, but come night time, I feel like crap. The symptoms also seem to worsen whenever I'm standing.

This may not be as bad as I think. I do get a little paranoid when I actually do get ill, since I haven't gotten anything worse than a cold for several years until this February.

But I digress. Does anyone know what I might have, or what I should be doing? I've been doing the whole fluids/rest thing whenever I can.

afroakuma
2009-06-08, 09:27 PM
Some of the symptoms are stomach upset, nausea, abdominal pain, diarrhea, stomach growling, stuffy nose, and I had a sore throat earlier on. These have been coming about since Saturday, and the symptoms disappear from time to time. I usually feel just fine during the day, but come night time, I feel like crap. The symptoms also seem to worsen whenever I'm standing.

Check your temperature if possible, and find time to drop by a clinic or whatever.

Take DayQuil/NyQuil, and record your eating habits to see if you're putting something in your stomach at night that isn't playing fair.

The antihistamines in the medication should lock down most standard causes of stuffy nose and possibly highlight a few other symptoms you may not be noticing enough to report.

You have five notable GI symptoms there. When you next have a bowel movement, take a glance at the stool to see if it's any vividly unusual color. It probably won't be.

I would get in touch with a doctor for those five alone; if you have something, it's probably pretty harmless in the long run but won't be any fun.

The above is not competent licensed medical advice and should in no circumstances be used or read as such. Please consult a licensed medical practicioner.

Jack Squat
2009-06-08, 09:32 PM
Go to the doctor. Any advice you find on the internet is up for suspicion (plus, you know, if someone on here is a doctor and gives bad medical advice, they're in big trouble legally).

If you're hesitant on going to a doctor, give it a week or two. If it continues or worsens, it may be worth going to figure out what it is.

I'm not a doctor, It's probably just something as simple as a stomach virus or bad cold. May also be something stress induced (when did you get the job, how long did you have it when you started getting these symptoms, is it a stressful atmosphere?)

Like I said, I'm not a doctor, so I don't really have any knowledge on the subject, but I wouldn't worry about it too much for the time being. In the meantime, some Pepto Bismol seems like it may be of use.

Neko Toast
2009-06-08, 09:38 PM
Check your temperature if possible, and find time to drop by a clinic or whatever.

Take DayQuil/NyQuil, and record your eating habits to see if you're putting something in your stomach at night that isn't playing fair.

The antihistamines in the medication should lock down most standard causes of stuffy nose and possibly highlight a few other symptoms you may not be noticing enough to report.

You have five notable GI symptoms there. When you next have a bowel movement, take a glance at the stool to see if it's any vividly unusual color. It probably won't be.

I would get in touch with a doctor for those five alone; if you have something, it's probably pretty harmless in the long run but won't be any fun.

The above is not competent licensed medical advice and should in no circumstances be used or read as such. Please consult a licensed medical practicioner.

I've checked my temperature regularly since I've been feeling ill. Not once has it reached 98, so no fever.

If by GI you mean Gastroenteritis, I had considered it as a possibility. That's actually what I snagged back in February. If it is the same thing this time around, it's a lot more mild, as I haven't experienced vomiting at all.

I kind of want to take one day off of work (as I work in the morning), just so I can get some sufficient sleep, but again, naggy parents. I'll try napping during the day if I can. I'll also stick to the BRAT menu tomorrow and the day after, and see how that goes.

@Jack Squat: I just got the job today, actually. I was getting symptoms on Saturday. I don't really think it could be stress induced. It's been pretty mellow the past few days.

Winter_Wolf
2009-06-08, 10:15 PM
I think the standard responsible advice should be, if you're asking for medical advice, you should go see a doctor. There's some nasty stuff going around this year, and you'd be better off to be called a wimp and have it be nothing than try and suck it up and end up on the other side of bad judgment.

afroakuma
2009-06-08, 10:50 PM
I've checked my temperature regularly since I've been feeling ill. Not once has it reached 98, so no fever.

Tell that to the doctor.

If by GI you mean Gastroenteritis, I had considered it as a possibility. That's actually what I snagged back in February. If it is the same thing this time around, it's a lot more mild, as I haven't experienced vomiting at all.

No, I am referring to gastrointestinal symptoms. I don't think it's gastroenteritis, but I do think it's not just a bug but likely something in the GI tract and you should see a doctor immediately about your concerns.

I kind of want to take one day off of work (as I work in the morning), just so I can get some sufficient sleep, but again, naggy parents. I'll try napping during the day if I can. I'll also stick to the BRAT menu tomorrow and the day after, and see how that goes.

If it's sleep or stress-related, the doctor can tell you that. The doctor is going to ask about what food you've been eating as well, and will likely make enquiries regarding vomiting and bowel movements. Know the answers going in and you make the visit that much more useful.

As Winter Wolf said, if you need to ask, you need to go talk to a doctor. In the meantime, as I said, I recommend NyQuil if you find you're having trouble sleeping because of stuffy nose, and Gaviscon (if it's in your budget) as a non-GI protection against acid reflux. Pepto-Bismol or similar can alleviate many GI symptoms, but it is not a substitute for seeing a doctor.

As I said before, a combination of nausea, borborygmus, diarrhea and especially abdominal pain is a clear directive to go see a doctor.

Neko Toast
2009-06-09, 04:01 AM
Gotta love sleepless nights because of sickness.

Looks like I'll be calling the doctor once waking hours arrive.

KuReshtin
2009-06-09, 04:58 AM
See a doctor.

Yarram
2009-06-09, 05:02 AM
The first thing I thought when I heard all those symptoms was "morning sickness?" but I guess a sore throat's not included.

Neko Toast
2009-06-09, 05:04 AM
The first thing I thought when I heard all those symptoms was "morning sickness?" but I guess a sore throat's not included.

Trust me when I say that it's not morning sickness. I've never even dated before in my life.

Coidzor
2009-06-09, 05:43 AM
Have you been able to relax at night now that you no longer have that roommate of yours whom you hated so much and who provided so much torment to you over the course of the school year?

Yarram
2009-06-09, 06:36 AM
Trust me when I say that it's not morning sickness. I've never even dated before in my life.

Lol. Nothing like abstinence to stop unwanted children. Sorry if you felt I made assumptions then.

Neko Toast
2009-06-09, 06:38 AM
Lol. Nothing like abstinence to stop unwanted children. Sorry if you felt I made assumptions then.

It's fine. I've had worse assumptions made of me.

Coidzor, I hope that was scarcasm, because it sounds like it was.

Only 45 more minutes of waiting, and I can call the doctor and (hopefully) get an appointment in for today.

Quincunx
2009-06-09, 07:00 AM
I've met enough people whose reason for getting up each day was continued suffering and (self-bestowed) need for sacrifice that eliminating the need to have something wrong with your life as a possible cause is neither irrational nor sarcastic.

You've got something in your sinuses, the snot is post-nasal drip, and because it's probably full of dead germs it's upsetting your stomach. Fairly simple. [EDIT: If it's bacterial and you can get antibiotic assistance, great, but otherwise the doctor's visit may be a waste.]

Neko Toast
2009-06-09, 07:04 AM
I've met enough people whose reason for getting up each day was continued suffering and (self-bestowed) need for sacrifice that eliminating the need to have something wrong with your life as a possible cause is neither irrational nor sarcastic.

You've got something in your sinuses, the snot is post-nasal drip, and because it's probably full of dead germs it's upsetting your stomach. Fairly simple. [EDIT: If it's bacterial and you can get antibiotic assistance, great, but otherwise the doctor's visit may be a waste.]

Actually, I don't think it's this. The stuffed-up nose came after the stomach upset. By what you described, wouldn't it be reversed?

And I didn't quite completely understand the first part, but what I got from it is something about hypochondriacs. I assure you, I am not one. At first I thougt it was a typical uncomforting bowel movement, but as other symptoms not relating to it began to crop up, and as the duration of said symptoms extended longer than they should have for a simple illness, I began to have my doubts.

Edit

@v: Oh, my bad. Lack of sleep is starting to screw with me...

Well, the environment... once I got back, I began the onslaught of my dad telling me to find a job again. Once I did find one a few days ago, however, I found out this job is telemarketing. The thought of telemarketing by itself makes me tense, as talking on the phone is not an enjoyable passtime for me. And again, it's telemarketing.

Even if stress isn't truly linked to my illness, I want it to be so I can quit and find a different job. I'm gonna need a more valid excuse other than "every aspect of it is displeasurable" to get it past my father.

As you can tell, I don't like my father much.

Coidzor
2009-06-09, 07:05 AM
Coidzor, I hope that was scarcasm, because it sounds like it was.

Whut? :smallconfused: I was actually seeing if maybe some sort of PTSD-esque/stress angle might explain it from the stress you seemed to suffer from. Not necessarily that it might be merely nerves or stress from transference or anything...

Not to mention that I was curious as to how you'd been doing before you got sick. :smalltongue:

Then again, the stress of your current occupation would probably be enough in and of itself to weaken your immune system from your description of it. Anything new you might be allergic to? Though that seems unlikely to learn something new this late in life, but perhaps an old source has cropped up again in the home/diet...

Neko Toast
2009-06-09, 07:37 AM
Okay, I scheduled an appointment with my doctor. I don't feel well enough to work right now, since I haven't been getting good sleep, so I left a message to call in sick. My boss said that we get two freebies for sickness/other conflicts, and he also said that their schedules are flexible. Besides, it's not the end of the world if he has one less telemarketer for three hours. There are usually 4-5 people there during shifts.

Edit

@v: I got sick before I started working there. My first day actually working there was yesterday (really says something about a job when you're hired only because people keep quitting, and after one day of work, you want to quit, too). It may not be the source, but working there certainly hasn't made me feel any better. :smallyuk:

Set
2009-06-09, 07:51 AM
In my experience, telemarketing / call center jobs and data entry / transcriptionist jobs are germ factories. If the place you're working in doesn't already have procedures for cleaning and wiping down phones, you might want to take it on yourself to wipe down your work area (particularly the phone and keyboard) when arriving to work.

Between the post office data entry job I had for a few years and the call center work I've done, it seemed like there was always some sort of flu bug going around, and conjunctivitis was rampant.

Your body will build up a tolerance, and then someone will bring something new and exciting in. It's probably good exercise for the immune system, but it doesn't make working at these places any more fun. :/

Last_resort_33
2009-06-09, 10:22 AM
See a doctor... Last time I thought my stomach was a bit off and got abdominal pain, I didn't go and see a doctor for about 2 months, then (a month ago today) The abdominal pain went suddenly from "quite uncomfortable" to "rolling round on the floor screaming" and it turned out that my appendix had exploded, I had peritonitis and nearly died in hospital. I have had to have subsequent surgery for an infection caused by the original appendectomy and have only just got back to work a month later (of course nearly bankrupting me by way of being a month down on wages!).

Nasty symptoms that you can just about live with will not necessarily go away by themselves.

mangosta71
2009-06-09, 10:40 AM
The fact that you haven't observed a fever doesn't mean that you don't have one that's intermittent. You say that your temperature hasn't reached 98? Normal temperature (for most people) is 98.6. Abnormally low temperature can be another symptom that you should discuss with the doctor. And yes, I'm echoing the others in advising you to seek medical attention.

By the way, a fever is actually a good sign, as long as it doesn't get too high. It means that your body is fighting whatever pathogens are causing your distress.

Neko Toast
2009-06-09, 10:49 AM
The fact that you haven't observed a fever doesn't mean that you don't have one that's intermittent. You say that your temperature hasn't reached 98? Normal temperature (for most people) is 98.6. Abnormally low temperature can be another symptom that you should discuss with the doctor. And yes, I'm echoing the others in advising you to seek medical attention.

By the way, a fever is actually a good sign, as long as it doesn't get too high. It means that your body is fighting whatever pathogens are causing your distress.

I can't really remember the last time my temp was ever around 98.6... I'm always somewhere around 97.

@Last Resort: Well... every once in a while, I get a slight pain in my lower right side...

@v: Of course. Duh. Why didn't I see it before? My hands and feet have been replaced by hooves, after all.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-06-09, 10:52 AM

Swine flu. Definitely swine flu.

Seriously, though, see a doctor or physician pronto.

Jack Squat
2009-06-09, 02:40 PM
I can't really remember the last time my temp was ever around 98.6... I'm always somewhere around 97.

Yeah, mine's consistently 96.8. I think my body's dyslexic :smalltongue:

Faceist
2009-06-09, 02:46 PM
My medical advice is limited to "DON'T TOUCH THE BROWN WEED!" and "Liquor before beer, never fear, beer before liquor, never sicker". I say flu!

potatocubed
2009-06-09, 02:48 PM
Just an aside relating to hypochondria:

Mine is brought on by stress, but often I don't actually feel stressed - I just start getting wacky anxiety symptoms. It's got to the point where I identify that I'm stressed by the stabby headaches and tingling extremities, rather than by feeling stressed.

That said, intestinal distress is one of the rarer things that anxiety can make your body do, so.

P.S. Go and see a doctor.

Neko Toast
2009-06-09, 04:06 PM
Well, I got back, and the doctor said it's mostly likely a viral infection of some kind. She gave me some stuff that will settle my stomach, and basically if there are no improvements or if things get worse to call her again.

In the meantime, my father has been chastising me, saying that I'm merely faking sick because I hate my job. Well, if he had actually paid attention, he would remember that I was feeling ill before I even received training.

You know, maybe it is stress-related. Most of the conversation exchanged between the two of us is him berating me to find a job, and then this morning he called the house to check if I had gone to work or not. Figures, as soon as I pick up the phone (didn't feel like not picking up and being a liar), I get "Why aren't you at work?" And if that wasn't enough, he stops by in the afternoon to drop off the new lawn mower and has another go at me.

I really, really dislike my father. It's getting towards borderline hatred right now.

afroakuma
2009-06-09, 06:52 PM
Well, I got back, and the doctor said it's mostly likely a viral infection of some kind. She gave me some stuff that will settle my stomach, and basically if there are no improvements or if things get worse to call her again.

That's very likely. Diarrhea is not normally stress-related. What sort of "stuff," if you don't mind my asking?

In the meantime, my father has been chastising me, saying that I'm merely faking sick because I hate my job. Well, if he had actually paid attention, he would remember that I was feeling ill before I even received training.

I've been there. My father disparages both of his children their choice of education, courses and way of life, and has it in for the rest of the family, too. It's just one of those things. :smallfrown:

You know, maybe it is stress-related.

Very unlikely. Again, what medication were you given?

Quincunx
2009-06-10, 05:09 AM
Yes, it is--they don't call it bowel-loosening terror for nothing.

Coidzor
2009-06-10, 05:35 AM
Indeed... I've experienced a number of times where the stress has given me stomach problems which have led to... *ahem* fun times down the road.

Sort of varies between person to person though. Most people would know whether they're at risk of that sort of thing though, after a certain in their life.

bosssmiley
2009-06-10, 07:22 AM
Saw it off, smear the stump with hot tar. Next!

(I'd make a great doctor me)

Neko Toast
2009-06-10, 08:00 AM
She gave me antacids for the pain/bloating. It's 30 pills of Ranitidine, 300mg. She said it's a slightly higher dosage so I can take it at night, which is when I get most of mhy symptoms. I took it last night, and I was able to get some good sleep.

So I'll give this a few days, maybe up 'til Monday or something.

In the meantime, I hope my boss found a fill-in for my work days so A. I don't have to work, and B. I can quit more easily.

afroakuma
2009-06-10, 08:52 AM
Yes, it is--they don't call it bowel-loosening terror for nothing.

I don't deny that it can be stress-related; I'm just saying that as a symptom I would look at physical causes first, compared to other stress-induced concerns.

Ranitidine 300 mg is a decent-strength pill. Nothing world-shattering, but regardless of underlying cause it's probably enough to tell your dad to shut up unless he's a doctor.

Coidzor
2009-06-10, 09:31 AM
If he were reasonable. Doesn't seem like our fine OP has been able to find a way to deal with such a pernicious sire. :/

Neko Toast
2009-06-10, 12:53 PM
The way I usually dealt with it was gaming with my friends. That was last summer. This summer it's a bit more difficult, because most of our group has jobs now. We're gonna squeeze it in whenever we can.

Friends are a very good stress reliever.

Serpentine
2009-06-10, 10:54 PM
It could be both stress and "real" illness. Getting stressed out messes with your body and your immune system, makes you more likely to get sick and more likely to be worse than normal.
You should tell your father to... *ahem*... take a long walk of a short pier. Not necessarily in those words.