PDA

View Full Version : Prc: Auramancer (PEAR)

Sacrath
2006-04-14, 10:37 AM
This is a prestige class I submitted a while back as a five level prestige class. I couldn't find it when I searched and it is probably just as wel, looking back at my notes it was pretty poorly made. I decided to re-make it as a ten level class and post it agian.

Auramancer V1:
Prestige Class
Auramancers are spell casters devoted to studying the lasting effects of magic on the world. As Auramancers see it, all spells can be broken down into base components, strands of power, which can be identified and altered. The more powerful a spell is, the more complex the weave. Instantaneous spells such as fireball or magic missile, have wispy structures that burn away quickly. Since instantaneous spells lose their structure so fast they are extremely difficult to study; therefore, Auramancers turn their attention to spells with more substantial structure. Auramancers revel in the geometry and architecture of spells that last hours, days, or nearly forever. This intense study of the structure of magic allows gives Auramancers a keen sense of when magic is present, the capability to improve upon the structure of their own spells, and, by changing a spells structure an Auramancer can disrupt spells, shield herself and allies from magical effects or even absorb spells power to use for her own purposes.

Requirements: Ability to cast 2nd level spells, 8 ranks in spellcraft, 8 ranks in Concentration, Extend Spell metamagic feat, any item creation feat, at least 3 spells with duration of 1 hour per level or more.

Lvl BAB Fort Ref Will Special
1 +0 +0 +0 +2 Aura sense
2 +1 +0 +0 +3 Aura crafter 1/day
3 +1 +1 +1 +3 Aura disruption
4 +2 +1 +1 +4 -
5 +2 +1 +1 +4 Aura shielding
6 +3 +2 +2 +5 Aura sight, Aura crafter 2/day
7 +3 +2 +2 +5 Spell Weave
8 +4 +2 +2 +6 Improved aura disruption
9 +4 +3 +3 +6 Spell absorption
10 +5 +3 +3 +7 Improved aura shielding, Aura crafter 3/day

Aura Sense: The first thing an Auramancer learns is how to sense the magical energies around her. Due to this attuned sense, an Auramancer of first level or higher is considered to have a constant detect magic effect as the spell. This ability can be dispelled, but the auramancer can resume it next round as a free action. Aura sense does not function in an anti-magic field. The caster level of aura sense is the Auramancer’s class level.

Aura crafter: An Aruamancer’s intense study of the structure of spells allows her to reinforce the structure of her own spells. Once per day, an Auramancer of second level or higher can double the length of her spells as if she used the Extend Spell metamagic feat without an increase in spell level. This takes no extra casting time and can be applied on the fly. This ability increases to two times per day at sixth level and three times per day at tenth level.

Aura disruption: An Auramancer soon learns that every magical spell has a weak point in its structure, a hole or tangle left by a slight, unavoidable miscalculation of the caster. An Auramancer exploits these weak points to disrupt a spell and cause it to collapse like a house of cards. To represent this, an Auramancer of third level or higher gains dispel magic as a spell like ability usable an amount of times per day equal to her Auramancer level.

Aura shielding: An Auramancer’s intense study of the structure and composition of spells allows the Auramancer to protect herself from magical effects. Any spell or spell like ability used on an Auramancer of fifth level or higher has its caster level lowered by one. This effect can not be dispelled, but does not function in an anti-magic field. The Auramancer can suppress or renew this protection as a move action. Suppressing or renewing this protection does not affect spells already cast on the Auramancer.

Aura sight: At sixth level an Auramancer becomes more finely attuned to the magical effects around her. An Auramancer of sixth level or higher is considered to have a constant arcane sight effect as the spell. This ability can be dispelled, but the auramancer can resume it next round as a free action. Aura sight does not function in an anti-magic field. The caster level of aura sight is the Auramancer’s class level.

Spellweave: At seventh level an Auramancer learns to alter the structure of her spells in order to weave a protective ward on herself or her allies. As a standard action, an Auramacer of seventh level or higher can expend a spell of fourth level or lower she could cast to ward herself or a touched willing creature against that spell as if the spell spell immunity had been cast. The immunity only applies to the particular spell that the Auramancer had expended to use this ability. The effect lasts an hour per Auramancer level and can not be dispelled; however, the Auramancer that created the spellweave can dispel the effect as a standard action requiring a touch attack. Any creature can only have one spellweave active at any one time.

Improved aura disruption: At eighth level an Auramancer’s ability to disrupt the structure of spells improves. The Auramancer loses her dispel magic spell like ability and gains a greater dispel magic spell like ability usable a number of times per day equal to her Auramancer level.

Spell absorption: The arguably the most powerful ability an Auramancer possesses is the ability to absorb a spell’s energy to fuel her own spells and abilities. Once per day an Auramancer of ninth level or higher can absorb the energies of a spell that effected by her spellweave power. The Auramancer can use this energy to cast spells that she knows by expending one spell level of stored energy for every spell level the spell has, or she can use it to fuel her metamagic abilities by expending energy instead of adding spell levels. For example, Minterel a wizard and ninth level Auramancer. A Justicar attempts to use his spell like ability dimensional anchor on her, but fortunately she had created a spellweave on herself by expending dimensional anchor a few hours before. She chooses to absorb the energies of this spell with her spell absorption power. She now has four spell levels of energy at her disposal. On the next round, she uses three of the spell levels to cast ray of exhaustion on the Justicar, expending three levels of stored energy and leaving her with one. Later Minterel is grappled by an iron golem. On her turn, Minterel uses the last level of her stored energy to add the Still spell metamagic feat to her freedom of movement spell, freeing herself from the golem’s grasp. Any energy left over at the end of the day is wasted.

Improved aura shielding: At tenth level, an Auramancer’s resistance to spells improves. Any spell cast on an Auramancer after she reaches tenth level has its caster level lowered by two. This effect can not be dispelled, but does not function in an anti-magic field. The Auramancer can suppress or renew this protection as a move action. Suppressing or renewing this protection does not affect spells already cast on the Auramancer.

Edit: Because of formating issues I had to remove the spells section of the chart. An aruamancer gains 1 level for spells per day in her previous arcane or divine class every level after first. The chart should include a section at the end that reads:

Spells per day
-
+1 arcane or divine
+1 arcane or divine
+1 arcane or divine
+1 arcane or divine
+1 arcane or divine
+1 arcane or divine
+1 arcane or divine
+1 arcane or divine
+1 arcane or divine

Catch
2006-04-14, 11:03 AM
I like the idea of Spellweave, but I feel that it's a bit limited. First of all, having to know (and have prepared) the spell that the Auramancer wishes to bestow immunity cuts the ability's effectiveness by a lot. I would think that when preparing for a confrontation, an Auramancer would cast Spell Immunity instead of using her Spellweave ability, as Spell Immunity grants immunity for one spell for every four caster levels, and it lets you choose any spell, not just one you know and have prepared. For middle ground, I'd have the Spellweave ability grant immunity to a spell of the same school of magic as the expended spell, and of the same level or lower.

The Spell Absorbtion ability is pretty nifty too, but I'd say that the limitations of Spell Immunity really gimps this otherwise classy ability. If you made it an x/per day ability, then you could probably get away with dropping the Spell Immunity requirement. I'd also make the Auramancer have to ready an action to absorb a spell.

But that's enough griping out of me. Great class! I like the flavor of it, as it reminds me of the weaves from the Wheel of Time series, if you're familar with that. I think the class makes a for a great support character, especially with all of that Greater Dispel Magic flying around. Very nice work.

Sacrath
2006-04-14, 11:08 AM
Spell absorbtion and spellweave do seem a bit limited. I was originally going to have spellweave act like a spell imunity spell, and spell absorbtion just require a counterspell attempt. Potentially giving a caster another ninth level spell slot once per day scared me out of it and I wanted to have spellweave and spell absorption to be related. I may still tweak it, thanks for the input.

Edit: I thought of something:

Auramancer V2.1:
Prestige Class
Auramancers are spell casters devoted to studying the lasting effects of magic on the world. As Auramancers see it, all spells can be broken down into base components, strands of power, which can be identified and altered. The more powerful a spell is, the more complex the weave. Instantaneous spells such as fireball or magic missile, have wispy structures that burn away quickly. Since instantaneous spells lose their structure so fast they are extremely difficult to study; therefore, Auramancers turn their attention to spells with more substantial structure. Auramancers revel in the geometry and architecture of spells that last hours, days, or nearly forever. This intense study of the structure of magic allows gives Auramancers a keen sense of when magic is present, the capability to improve upon the structure of their own spells, and, by changing a spells structure an Auramancer can disrupt spells, shield herself and allies from magical effects or even absorb spells power to use for her own purposes.

Requirements: Ability to cast 2nd level spells, 8 ranks in spellcraft, 8 ranks in Concentration, Extend Spell metamagic feat, any item creation feat, at least 3 spells with duration of 1 hour per level or more.

((There should be a chart here, but the formating is being wierd so I removed it. Just look at V1's chart.))

Aura Sense: The first thing an Auramancer learns is how to sense the magical energies around her. Due to this attuned sense, an Auramancer of first level or higher is considered to have a constant detect magic effect as the spell. This ability can be dispelled, but the auramancer can resume it next round as a free action. Aura sense does not function in an anti-magic field. The caster level of aura sense is the Auramancer’s class level.

Aura crafter: An Aruamancer’s intense study of the structure of spells allows her to reinforce the structure of her own spells. Once per day, an Auramancer of second level or higher can double the length of her spells as if she used the Extend Spell metamagic feat without an increase in spell level. This takes no extra casting time and can be applied on the fly. This ability increases to two times per day at sixth level and three times per day at tenth level.

Aura disruption: An Auramancer soon learns that every magical spell has a weak point in its structure, a hole or tangle left by a slight, unavoidable miscalculation of the caster. An Auramancer exploits these weak points to disrupt a spell and cause it to collapse like a house of cards. To represent this, an Auramancer of third level or higher gains dispel magic as a spell like ability usable an amount of times per day equal to half her Auramancer level.

Aura shielding: An Auramancer’s intense study of the structure and composition of spells allows the Auramancer to protect herself from magical effects. Any spell or spell like ability used on an Auramancer of fifth level or higher has its caster level lowered by one. This effect can not be dispelled, but does not function in an anti-magic field. The Auramancer can suppress or renew this protection as a move action. Suppressing or renewing this protection does not affect spells already cast on the Auramancer.

Aura sight: At sixth level an Auramancer becomes more finely attuned to the magical effects around her. An Auramancer of sixth level or higher is considered to have a constant arcane sight effect as the spell. This ability can be dispelled, but the auramancer can resume it next round as a free action. Aura sight does not function in an anti-magic field. The caster level of aura sight is the Auramancer’s class level.

Spellweave: At seventh level an Auramancer learns to alter the structure of her spells in order to weave a protective ward on herself or her allies. As a standard action, an Auramacer of seventh level or higher can expend a spell she can cast to ward herself or a touched willing creature against that spell as if the spell spell immunity had been cast. The immunity only applies to the particular spell that the Auramancer had expended to use this ability. The effect lasts an hour per Auramancer level and can not be dispelled; however, the Auramancer that created the spellweave can dispel the effect as a standard action requiring a touch attack. Any creature can only have one spellweave active at any one time.

Improved aura disruption: At eighth level an Auramancer’s ability to disrupt the structure of spells improves. The Auramancer loses her dispel magic spell like ability and gains a greater dispel magic spell like ability usable a number of times per day equal to her half Auramancer level.

Spell absorption: The arguably the most powerful ability an Auramancer possesses is the ability to absorb a spell’s energy to fuel her own spells and abilities. Once per day an Auramancer of ninth level or higher can absorb the energies of a spell that effected by her spellweave power. The Auramancer can use this energy to cast spells that she knows by expending one spell level of stored energy for every spell level the spell has, or she can use it to fuel her metamagic abilities by expending energy instead of adding spell levels. For example, Minterel a wizard and ninth level Auramancer. A Justicar attempts to use his spell like ability dimensional anchor on her, but fortunately she had created a spellweave on herself by expending dimensional anchor a few hours before. She chooses to absorb the energies of this spell with her spell absorption power. She now has four spell levels of energy at her disposal. On the next round, she uses three of the spell levels to cast ray of exhaustion on the Justicar, expending three levels of stored energy and leaving her with one. Later Minterel is grappled by an iron golem. On her turn, Minterel uses the last level of her stored energy to add the Still spell metamagic feat to her freedom of movement spell, freeing herself from the golem’s grasp. Any energy left over at the end of the day is wasted.

Improved aura shielding: At tenth level, an Auramancer’s resistance to spells improves. Any spell cast on an Auramancer after she reaches tenth level has its caster level lowered by two. This effect can not be dispelled, but does not function in an anti-magic field. The Auramancer can suppress or renew this protection as a move action. Suppressing or renewing this protection does not affect spells already cast on the Auramancer.

Version 2:
I removed "of fourth level or lower" from the spellweave description. This makes it different and possibly better than the spell immunity spell and improves the spell absorption ability.

Version 2.1
I lowered the uses of the dispel magic and greater dispel magic to "times per day equal to half the Auramancer level."

Douglas
2006-04-14, 11:26 AM
Aura Disruption is usable way too many times per day. 10 free bonus Greater Dispel Magic at 15th character level is more than enough by itself to make this class overpowered even with losing one level of spellcasting progression. Make it 1/day initially, increasing to 2/day and maybe 3/day eventually and I think it might be reasonably balanced.

Sacrath
2006-04-14, 11:35 AM
I disagree, I understand what you are saying but dispelling magic is one of the prestige classes main abilites. Anyway, it is a spell like ability, so you can't use it to counterspell, which greatly lowers it's usability.

Douglas
2006-04-14, 11:45 AM
The inability to use it for counterspelling isn't a big deal because that's usually a rather subpar application of the spell anyway. If lowering the uses per day isn't an option, then you need to lose some more levels of spell progression and maybe some of the other class features as well. No matter how you look at it, a 6th level spell 10/day for free is worth more than 1 caster level.

fetfet
2006-04-14, 12:20 PM
What is pear

Steward
2006-04-14, 01:36 PM
What is pear

Please Examine and Repair

Sacrath
2006-04-14, 01:36 PM
I lowered the amount of times per day that the dispel magic and greater dispell magic spell like abilites can be used.

What is pear
I don't like peaches.