PDA

View Full Version : Face the Apocalypse!

Killer Angel
2009-06-09, 11:04 AM
You know the story, cause you’ve seen it in so many films... but this time suppose it’s real.
A terrible epidemic is spreading at lightning speed across the world. Millions’ dead every hour. Panic grows, military forces starts patrol the streets... in a couple of days, your country is reached by the Virus, and you can feel the fever rising quickly...

When you wake up, the sun is rising. Silence everywhere. Streets are empty, just abandoned cars, some corpses, smoke on the horizon, white noise on radio and TV when you search about any news from the rest of the world. The “usual” apocalyptic scenario of your so-loved horror movies.
You’re scared, also ‘cause you don’t know what you are going to face.
Is this a “normal” epidemic? The dead will stay dead?
Or the dead will starting arise after an incubation period of the Virus?
Or the dead had jet risen, and they are waiting for the night, to came out and search for prey?
Even if there will be no zombie, you need food, and sooner or later, you will find some survivor, and maybe not all of them will want to join you... there’s a not great difference, in being killed and eaten by a zombie, or being killed and robbed by a desperate raider.

One thing is clear: you need to find a shelter, a secure place to rest and to protect not only yourself, but also your supplies (that are going to became the most precious thing in the world); all this, possibly before the coming of the night.
I take as a given fact, that every one of us will search immediately for a weapon in a store (if you don’t have one), and that you will also procure some ready supplies (food and medicine)... I’m not so interested in these things (unless you are thinking to something peculiar).
What I want to know is, what kind of place are you looking to elect as “home” for the incoming times?

Some simple rules:
The place must be REAL.
You still don’t know what you’re going to face, so the place should be safe either from zombie assault (dawn of the dead?) or from others survivors who wants to steal your supplies.
You must use only your own real-life abilities: a fortified house like the one in “I am legend” is cool, but for me it’s impossible: I’ve no skill in “generators installation and maintenance”, neither in “placing minefield” (if you have, good for you).
You should think to the basic daily needs: food, water, fonts of energy, etc..
The place must be available for you: thinking to The Rock (Alcatraz island) is OK if you live in California, but good luck arriving there, if you live in NY (or Europe).

From my part...
I’ve got at least 3 solutions, but my preferred is the medieval one (ah, they knew how to face the good old siege-times...).
I live in Italy, and 30 miles away from my house, there’s a castle (recently restructured and normally open for the tourists). No moat, but high walls (no less than 40 foot), portcullis, inner walls and massive towers.
In the inner walls there is a garden (ready to be planted with carrots and tomatoes... I’m not so good as a farmer, but I know some basic) and a near spring from which you can channel some water (I know how to do this, if the existing system of collecting rain would be not sufficient... and here rains a lot).
The inner walls are against the side of an impervious mountain, and some of the gardens have chestnuts plants and (thanks to the mountain), there’s an almost endless supply of firewoods (to hell with electricity: the place is well filled with chimneys).
Meat could be a problem: I don’t know how to keep alive even some chicken, but the place is near the mountain, and there’s some wild animal. I’m not a killing machine, but thanks to the army, at least I know how to shoot.

And YOU? How you will face the end of the world (as we know it)?

KataraAltinaII
2009-06-09, 11:07 AM
For me, I'd probably just accept it as fate, live in my house, do whatever it is that I normally do, and then surrender to the zombies once they showed up and let them nom on me or whatever it is that they do.

death isn't scary. only clowns are scary.

Croverus
2009-06-09, 11:15 AM
I live on a military base... so yeah. I think I can find everything I need and just hole up in my room. The base practically runs most daily operations on its own. (We're also in the middle of the freaking Nevada desert so we have our own sanitationa dn power) Probably lweave my room to find others. The barracks is well fortified with only 3 entrance/exits and sections can be closed off. So yeah... I'm pretty good on securing a safe place. And food (MREs) and weapons would be easy to get to. Medical supplies are also easy to get. And I probably have a few friends that survive (maybe) and we all are miliary so we know how to work as a team.

Unlike what movies show, the military is very effective in post-apoctolyptic situations.

Killer Angel
2009-06-09, 11:23 AM
I live on a military base... so yeah. I think I can find everything I need and just hole up in my room. The base practically runs most daily operations on its own. (We're also in the middle of the freaking Nevada desert so we have our own sanitationa dn power) Probably lweave my room to find others. The barracks is well fortified with only 3 entrance/exits and sections can be closed off. So yeah... I'm pretty good on securing a safe place. And food (MREs) and weapons would be easy to get to. Medical supplies are also easy to get. And I probably have a few friends that survive (maybe) and we all are miliary so we know how to work as a team.

Unlike what movies show, the military is very effective in post-apoctolyptic situations.

Yep, i know that the army is the best organisation in a situation like that.
The only problem with your base, in the long run, could be the fuel for the generators and (most af all) the water supply.
But a fortified base with weapons and armored vehicles, it's a very good start point: when you are prepared, you can always move and search another place...

Stormthorn
2009-06-09, 11:27 AM
Hmm...the California Valley is a biggo flat place with few natural hiding spots. I guess i could hike into the mountains.
Or take over a strip mall.

I would probably backpack into the fields near the small town i live in. The town itself is too close to major population centers to be safe. A week or so after the infection sweeps through (asusming im immune) i can head back in and claim a strip mall as my own. The secret here is to round up survivors and convince them that they need to work together.
A few dozen people could live off of raiding the empty houses long enough to draw up a long term plan.
Less than 10 miles away is a large gated (mostly tall stone walls) community for retirees that could be taken over. It has fields around it in a few different directions that could be used for farming.

thubby
2009-06-09, 02:05 PM
i have the better part of a week's worth of supplies in my house, so my first order of business would be body disposal (by burning would be my first inclination). not just for the zombie potential, but also for the sanitary one, and it would potentially get someone's attention. from there i would gather supplies, med kit, food/water, tent, etc. then head down the coast to a military base. as mentioned they have everything I'd need and would be a natural people magnet.

Piedmon_Sama
2009-06-09, 02:21 PM
Not staying in my ****ing duplex, that's for sure. Aside from the fact it would quickly get covered with bugs without the landlord regularly cleaning, my apartment has a ****ing glass sliding door as the only way in/out of here. Even though I live on the second story and the bottom door automatically locks, it would be way too easy for a hostile fellow survivor to climb up onto the walkway and just smash his way in here.

My first order of business would be getting to the closest grocery outlet, which should be a roughly 8/9 minute walk from here on foot. I'll take as many canvas bags as I can carry and stuff it with canned fruit, vegetables, spam, bottled water, and other preservatives.... maybe some tea packs since I'll now be quitting cigarettes and coffee. Whatever fresh fruit is left I'll be wolfing down on the spot since this will be my last chance for it.

I won't bother to arm myself on the way there and back---since I'll do this during daylight and stick to the middle of the road, trying to keep a low profile between direlect cars. If I see somebody coming who doesn't look equally lost and bewildered I'll bolt.

My next destination would be the campus quad, which I live all of a five minutes' walk from. There's a ladder lying on one of the floor tenants' decks, so I'd take that with me.We have a fairly cool old library (http://image34.webshots.com/35/2/24/34/240522434vgaUqY_ph.jpg) on campus (that's a shot from the rear). I'd get up on the roof somehow (maybe smash out one of the top windows and try to climb from there?) and then use the ladder to get up to one of the towers from the main roof. That would be homebase.

Admittedly there's an 8-story building across the quad, where potentially anyone could espy me living on top of the library and also kill me at will if they had a rifle.... but I wouldn't want to live inside that office building, too many small nooks and turns where I could be taken by surprise. Besides, building interiors are going to be dark where there aren't large windows from now on.

chiasaur11
2009-06-09, 02:22 PM
Costco.

Built like a fort, tons of food, high places to snipe at any zeds already in...

Nice spot until the zombies or aliens start getting clobbered by the military, S-Mart Employees, X-Com or whoever else is going to do the actual world saving.

Cristo Meyers
2009-06-09, 02:32 PM
I'd be a little leary of military bases. In my mind there's just as much chance as meeting trained killers with guns as there is meeting people willing to help, maybe even moreso. No offense to any soldiers present, of course, I just don't really trust anyone.

Food should still be in rather abundant supply, depending on how many people are dead. Find the nearest store and start looting non-perishables. Things like dried soup mix and teabags get special mention: they're small, easily transportable, keep for a long time, and only really require fresh water.

I wouldn't want to stick around Chicagoland. Yes, there's fresh water in abundance, but there's also more people, which means more people that would probably just as soon shoot me as look at me. The dilemma is where to go? If the world is suitably depopulated, then maybe sticking around wouldn't be a bad idea. If roving gangs of raiders are the norm, then getting the hell out of Dodge might even be safer than trying to hole up somewhere.

I think I'd head south. There's a spot near the small town I grew up in: small stream, trees, farming land. I could probably make do for some time there until a lack of resources forced me to move on.

Neo
2009-06-09, 02:32 PM
I'd probably just off the rest of my neighbours in our little cul de sac, and then barricade the entrances to the complex, which is a side road and a little walkway.

Would probably use the roof for signalling rescue copters, as most people who are currently alive don't know the place exists.

Wraithy
2009-06-09, 02:43 PM
Yeah yeah. We've all heard the warnings about swine flu before :smallannoyed:

(Though it was great last month when my friends and I dressed up as zombies and someone screamed "Swine Flu!")

OverdrivePrime
2009-06-09, 03:19 PM
If cell phones and combustion engines still work, I'd gather together as many friends and trusted people as possible to meet at the Urban Ecology Center (http://www.urbanecologycenter.org/), pack up our canoes, kayaks and survival gear, and then head out into Lake Michigan. We'd eventually make our way North, staying in sight of the coast but away from other people, continuing to head to the UP (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upper_Peninsula_of_Michigan), camping in abandoned state parks and such, and raiding any abandoned stores for food, ammunition, and fuel. We'd make our way to coast of Lake Superior, live off wildlife, fish, and anything we can scavenge. I personally will be raiding every pharmacy I can find for levothyroxine (http://www.rxlist.com/synthroid-drug.htm).

Together we can put together a small, sustainable community of about 30. We'd stay up there for several months to wait out any fallout (http://www.webpal.org/d_resources/states/aacont2.jpg) that might be on the winds, and then send a few scouts (definitely including me) out to try to make peaceful contact with any survivors and gauge the habitability of more temperate areas (IE - dangerous levels of radiation, giant alien motherships). If no peaceful survivors are to be found, I'd do my best to protect my community from any of the deranged mutants that now populate the Earth.

Skills I have to contribute:
Excellent hand-to-hand combatant with fists and long swords, trained combatant with knives and clubs, passable archer, adept with communications technologies, high skill with paddle-craft such as kayaks and canoes, strong wilderness survival skills, first aid training, strong planning and small group tactical skills, very good rough carpenter skills, very good climber, high diplomacy skills, good leadership skills, and very high strength and endurance.

Equipment I have to contribute:
2 kayaks, camping and survival equipment for severe weather, various wood axes, camp axes and carpentry tools, assortment of knives, numerous survival guides and maps, greatsword, a bastard sword, a longsword, a light bow and arrow, and plenty of trail food. My wife and I have three bicycles as well, but I think those will be swiftly abandoned for the safety of water.

My weaknesses: little familiarity with firearms (I've shot pistols and rifles many many years ago, but have no training besides, "Load it here, point it that way."), high compassion for the suffering, reluctant to kill sentient beings, and a dependency on synthetic thyroid hormone. :smallfrown:

DemonicAngel
2009-06-09, 03:20 PM
would probably go the the nearest shop, take everything i can, and then off I'll go to the "city gate", the tallest tower in the middle-east, which just happens to be in my neighbored. just a little fix of a few things (such as finding where the hell is the kitchen in that place) and locking all the elevators, and I'm good to go.

Kobold-Bard
2009-06-09, 06:53 PM
I live in York, plenty of castles around, as well as other medieval buildings. TBH my strategy is similar to Killer-Angel's, hold out and hope they can't climb.

Alternatively, if I was feeling particularly religous I would probably go to the Minster (cathedrally thing) and sit atop one of the spires, contemplating.

Yulian
2009-06-10, 12:05 AM
I live in Las Vegas. I've worked in the haunted attraction industry for 12 years now, so I know fabrication and gas generators. I've been shooting for about 12 years, take a Krav Maga class on and off, am quite strong, have done my fair share of camping and hiking in the Sierra Nevadas (during college) and have access to a decently lifted Jeep for offroading.

I was also a mortician for a few years and am CPR and first aid certified. I know bodies, living and dead, and disposal, and have safety equipment for same.

I have friends who have been corrections officers and teamsters. Some have real field guide training. One knows archery. Pretty much all of us are shooters and have some HTH training/experience. Oh yeah...one is also an EMT training to be a paramedic, another is learning mountain rescue. Between them and me, we have health covered about as thoroughly as is reasonable. We also thus have access to an ambulance.

Vegas is not sustainable. Gather any of my friends who are survivors, loot every gun store we know of, or just one of the big ones (this is Nevada, we can grab anything we want if there are zombies, almost nothing is off limits). Don't go crazy, tailor the load-out to potential threats and with an eye towards hunting. Stop by the attached uniform store and take body armor and basic riot gear, tasers, stun guns, pepper spray.

Any camping supplies we do not have (like the large tents) grab at sporting goods stores and Wal-Mart. Load up on jugs of water and non-perishable foodstuffs. Take some extra clothing, may as well take several first aid kits and create some more from the stores. Lots of batteries. Flashlights, fire-starting gear, radio, walkie-talkies. Take basic toiletries for hygiene purposes. Gotta keep your teeth clean. :smallbiggrin:

Head to California. An 8-hour drive puts us in the Santa Cruz mountains. Used to live in Santa Cruz a few years back.

It's near the ocean, so there are fish, crabs, sea lions and tons of equipment for catching them. Deer and other game animals all over too. Forests for foraging. Mild climate, rivers for fresh water. Lots of pre-existing organic farms and gardens scattered all over the area. I also know of factories in Hollister that are manufacturing preserved vegetable products that can be raided. Locals will not likely present any danger unless they are zombies. Lot of hippies out there, I think we could take them if we needed to, but some of their agricultural knowledge may be useful if there are survivors.

Lot of book stores and libraries to raid for knowledge we don't currently have, like sustainable solar power, higher end electronics (UCSC Campus is right there), refrigeration, making your own soap, and so on. Same with bio-fuels for the vehicles. Lot of easy-to-defend areas up in the mountains and the town itself. Supply runs back to Nellis and Creech AFBs for anything really lethal we may want can be made if there are no survivors there.

Good climate, lots of food just all over the place, the ocean nearby, access to boats...a few survivors could turn the whole area into mini-Nam if they so chose, kill anything hostile that entered that didn't know the territory, and gather survivors.

- Yulian

Killer Angel
2009-06-10, 02:32 AM
My next destination would be the campus quad, which I live all of a five minutes' walk from. There's a ladder lying on one of the floor tenants' decks, so I'd take that with me.We have a fairly cool old library (http://image34.webshots.com/35/2/24/34/240522434vgaUqY_ph.jpg) on campus (that's a shot from the rear).

The link won't work for me... he said i've no authorization to access the page.

Costco.

Built like a fort, tons of food, high places to snipe at any zeds already in...

Whare's this place? can you post a link? thanks

I think I'd head south. There's a spot near the small town I grew up in: small stream, trees, farming land. I could probably make do for some time there until a lack of resources forced me to move on.

One of my option was "high" mountain: I know a lot of places higher than 5000 feet on sea level... cottages with plenty of food all around in the woods.
Sadly, the only "protection", is that they are hidden and uneasy to reach (and only by walking), but are a non defendable places.

Yeah yeah. We've all heard the warnings about swine flu before :smallannoyed:

I don't give a damn about swine flu. I've eaten a lot of good chicken when there was the asian chicken flu. :smallamused:

I live in York, plenty of castles around, as well as other medieval buildings. TBH my strategy is similar to Killer-Angel's, hold out and hope they can't climb.

I forgot to give a link (http://www.comune.vogogna.vb.it/compaginagt.asp?id=665&S=20956&C=2)to my place...

chiasaur11
2009-06-10, 02:39 AM
Whare's this place? can you post a link? thanks

Costco's a chain of warehouse stores. Steel shutters on the doors, huge roof, lots and lots of food.

The local one is solid concrete with a gas station built right next to it. Nice place.

Killer Angel
2009-06-10, 02:43 AM
I have friends who have been corrections officers and teamsters. Some have real field guide training. One knows archery. Pretty much all of us are shooters and have some HTH training/experience.

Vegas is not sustainable.

Your skills are remarkable, but we should suppose none of your friend survived... :smallbiggrin:

I agree Vegas is not an option.
It's a pity I don't live in Greece. There are very good places (http://www.volipindarici.it/viaggi/vivicitta/eu_gr/meteore/index4.htm)there, if you know how to keep a garden

Killer Angel
2009-06-10, 02:49 AM
Costco's a chain of warehouse stores. Steel shutters on the doors, huge roof, lots and lots of food.

Ah, ok.
I suppose that for taking some good equipment, you can go also to Cabela's...

Dhavaer
2009-06-10, 05:41 AM
Man, I really thought this would be a thread on Second Apocalypse...

Egiam
2009-06-10, 11:44 AM
I like the "sniper on the battlements" idea.

Most likely the local Fred Meyer.

Yulian
2009-06-10, 11:40 PM
Your skills are remarkable, but we should suppose none of your friend survived... :smallbiggrin:

I agree Vegas is not an option.

If it's just me, then it gets harder. Gotta go with basically the same plan, though. Guns, armour, survival supplies, health care, food, water, hygiene. Head to the Santa Cruz mountains. One person could survive almost indefinitely off the land there with some effort. It's very rich in life.

Getting and keeping any sort of refrigerated/freezer storage (sandwich places, restaurants, grocery stores) up and running would be a lot of effort, but would greatly improve your survival odds. Learning to make bio-fuels and stealing/converting solar panels to keep them running would be a ton of work, but again, worth it. The ability to store more fresh food than you can eat (by freezing, refrigeration, smoking, or preserves) could be the difference between life and death.

If anyone wants a forum with lots more great tips (and the occasional Zompocalypse discussion), go here: http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/survival-forums/

I'm a member of the overall site, different login name.

- Yulian

Killer Angel
2009-06-11, 03:50 AM
The ability to store more fresh food than you can eat (by freezing, refrigeration, smoking, or preserves) could be the difference between life and death.

If anyone wants a forum with lots more great tips (and the occasional Zompocalypse discussion), go here: http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/survival-forums/

Wow... that forum is really specific.. :smallredface:

Storing food is really a problem to face: it's one of the reason I've picked an ancient castle: i don't want to count on electricity, and in said castle there is a "basement cell" with stable temperature (4°-8° celsius), to conserve food. Not exactly a refrigerator, but still...

banthesun
2009-06-11, 06:49 AM
A lot harder to find weapons in Aus, but I've got a list of places I could loot in a zombie apocolypse (notably OfficeWorks for first aid, big glass windows, looters would probably be distracted by laptops). I'm also ready in case zombies burst into my room late at night. I got display katanas near my bed, and if I really need to I can jump onto my nieghbours roof from my window. Once I'm out I just have to find a good place to climb down and then sneak down to the navy base at the end of my street.

If I needed to get away from the city I'd take a 4wd along the train lines up to Orange, I know some nice mountaintop locations there. Unfortunately after a few years bushfires would become a serious threat, so it would probably be better to continue out towards the desert soon. My damn country has too many natural disasters...