PDA

View Full Version : Darkling (peach)

InaVegt
2006-05-05, 10:17 AM
I hereby present the dark halfling or darkling.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i273/gijsstrider/halfling-rogue.jpg

Darkling, 1st-Level Warrior
Size/Type: Small Humanoid (Halfling)
Hit Dice: 1d8+1 (3 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares)
Armor Class: 16 (+1 size, +1 Dex, +3 studded leather, +1 light shield), touch 12, flat-footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/-3
Attack: Longsword +3 melee (1d6/19-20) or light crossbow +3 ranged (1d6/19-20)
Full Attack: Longsword +3 melee (1d6/19-20) or light crossbow +3 ranged (1d6/19-20)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Halfling traits, Supernatural abilities
Special Qualities: Halfling traits
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +2, Will +0
Abilities: Str 11, Dex 13, Con 10, Int 14, Wis 9, Cha 10
Feats: Weapon Focus (longsword)
Environment: Temperate plains
Organization: Company (2-4), squad (11-20 plus 2 3rd-level sergeants and 1 leader of 3rd-6th level), or band (30-100 plus 100% noncombatants plus 1 3rd-level sergeant per 20 adults, 5 5th-level lieutenants, 3 7th-level captains, 6-10 dogs, and 2-5 riding dogs)
Challenge Rating: 1
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually lawful evil
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: +2

Supernatural abilities: Arrow of dusk and Sight obscured (both from tome of magic) 3/day

The darkling warrior presented here had the following ability scores before racial adjustments: Str 13, Dex 11, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 9, Cha 8.

Darkling racial traits
The following traits are in addition to a haliflings racial traits unless otherwise noted

Ability scores: -2 str, +2 dex, -2 con, +4 int, +2 cha these replace the standard halflings ability scores

Supernatural abilities: Arrow of dusk and Sight obscured (both from tome of magic) 3/day these will be usable at will when the darkling reaches character level 14

Favored class: shadowcaster

Description
The darklings are gray looking halflings with red or brown hair, they have an innate conection to the plane of shadow. They love pranks and other kinds of halflings usually suffer the most, both because they are the targets and because the pranks of the darklings give halflings a bad name.

hyenahyena
2006-05-05, 10:58 AM
OK!

+2 level adjustment for all that doesnt seem too slaardcore,

wait..

..they get two spells' as super natural abilities to use at will? Woh woh slow down, thats intense yo. I've not got tomb of magic, so really dont know what arrow of dusk is. But from a creature with only la+2 being able to use something that sounds very much combat related, 'at will' as many times a day as they like, sounds a lil overpowered. It even sounds ranged o.o Again, im not sure what obscuring sight means but being able to use it 'at will' is like, sweet wolf-mother thats intense.

Not even archons get any truly combat-styled spells 'at will'. Well, ok they get aid. but they're archons. You get my point.

Also, if their favored class is shadowcaster, how come you've written up a fighter? I dont know what a shadow caster is, or does, or anything, but it has 'caster' in the name. So why would a race that has a prefered race in a caster area have their highest ability in dex? curious!

Also, check your grammar in the description, some stuff doesnt quite make sense. That last sentence made a part of my brain die. Also, the character in the picture you linked doesnt actually have red or brown hair. huh.

Aside from all that i just mentioned, i think it looks good.

InaVegt
2006-05-05, 11:08 AM
Those spells are two fundamentals of the shadowcaster (some sort of cantrips) and i edited the racial ability scores

smartdumkid
2006-05-05, 02:25 PM
wasn't a darkling a Vistani that became evil in Ravenloft and became some kind of servent of the mists or something

InaVegt
2006-05-05, 02:39 PM
I don't know

Thiel
2006-05-05, 03:09 PM
First off its AC is 18.
And isnt +2 dex +2 con +4 int +2 cha a little much.
Id say that +2 dex -2 con +4 int and -2 cha sounds much more reasonable.

Damian_Blackclaw
2006-05-05, 03:15 PM
First off its AC is 18.

First half agreed.
Second half agreed it sounds more reasonable.

Disagree that -2 cha is a fair trade to +4 int.

Damian the Darghk

Brickwall
2006-05-05, 03:24 PM
I like the ones in Book of Vile Darkness better. they simply have a lot more flavor.

Thiel
2006-05-05, 03:25 PM
I figured it was a typo

Umbral_Arcanist
2006-05-05, 04:01 PM
Well arrow of dusk gives a ranged touch attack that deals 2d4 nonlethel with a *3 crit.... i forget aobut the other one though

InaVegt
2006-05-06, 03:29 AM
First off its AC is 18.
It's supposed to have an LA, so the stats can be a little bit unbalacing

Gyrfalcon
2006-05-06, 05:17 AM
+2 LA for

Small size
+10 ability mods (no negatives)
2 cantrips usable at will, one of which was compared to Eldrich Blast which, while I don't own Tome of Magic, makes it sound like an offensive spell.

Hm... looking through the Monster Manual, and it looks like the Drow come up as the easiest to compare this race to (that is, a race without racial hitdie).

Drow have +6/-2 ability mods
3 spells castable once per day
a few weapon proficiences
spell resistance
dark vision
and light blindness when in light.

Hm... all in all, I'd say the race is slightly overpowered for a +2 level adjustment. As others have suggested, balancing out the bonuses (dropping Con from +2 to -2 and/or a strength penalty) should help it out, especially since the race also benefits from all halfling traits to begin with, and according to your warrior description, also has enhanced movement 30 feet vs 20 feet a round. This looks to be a typo though.)

Finally, on the writeup:

Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares)
Armor Class: 16 (+1 size, +1 Dex, +3 studded leather, +1 light shield), touch 12, flat footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/-2
Base Attack: Longsword +3 melee (1d6+1/19-20) or light crossbow +2 ranged (1d6/19-20)
Full Attack: Longsword +3 melee (1d6+1/19-20) or light crossbow +2 ranged (1d6/19-20)

InaVegt
2006-05-06, 05:51 AM
edited the mistakes, made some changes to the stats (as you suggested) and made the supernatural abilities usable 3/day