PDA

View Full Version : Alex Mercer (Prototype) vs. Cole (InFamous)

Leliel
2009-06-10, 09:26 PM
Well, given that the two fanbases of the games are in a feud, I thought it would be interesting who the boards, with as much impartiality as they can muster, would win a fight.

The Rules:

1. The Arena is a large city with almost no water. This is so that Cole has full access to his range of powers and as a handicap to Mercer, because frankly, it just isn't fair otherwise.

2. Cole is at full power, and so is Mercer. As for the Karma meter in Infamous, just ignore it for the time being, as even Hero Cole is probably willing to pull out all the stops to defeat Mercer, who is a psychopath.

3. There are people other than the combatants, but they almost immediately flee, as they are perfectly aware that when two supers go at it, it's best to get the heck out of Dodge.

LET THE COMBAT BEGIN!

EDIT: Dammit, I forgot:

4. There are a large number of viable electrical outlets around the city, and most are destructible.

OK, now, LET THE REAL COMBAT BEGIN!

Nevrmore
2009-06-11, 08:56 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb and say the guy who can effortlessly lift cars and throw them dozens of stories, can clear a city block in a single leap, and also can do that thing where he makes spikes shoot up all out of the ground has an edge over the electricity guy. Cole's only real chance is if he can manage to keep a very healthy distance between himself and Alex, but I'd say that Alex beats him in speed, too.

Corncracker
2009-06-11, 07:01 PM
ITs somewhat hard to call. Both are very Agile, though as stated, it seems Mercer wins in speed.

Though swinging from a building side, Cole has more manueverability, and could possible overcome Coles vicious close range attacks that way. He also has a combat advantage from their, as he doesn't loose his offensive powers when there.

Both have powerful Shields. Mercers can be destroyed however, while Coles Can't. I can't recall if explosives can bypass it though.

And Mercers car throwing can backfire if Cole can shock the car before it gets to far from mercer, and blow up the gastank while Mercer is in blast Radius.

It boils down to individual Skill at this point more then powers, as they both seem to have solid footing against one another power wise.

In this case, I think I'll give it to Cole, though I'll comment more after playing more into Prototype.

Soniku
2009-06-15, 07:03 PM
When it comes to actual combat it could go either way honestly, depending on how things play out, but Mercer has a massive advantage in the mobility department (Cole is, realistically, a great freerunner, but far from Mercer's levels of speed and agility, not to mention glideing), in addition to the possibility of disguising himself as a civillian (with advantages dependant on Cole's karma, but useful even if he does go lightning-happy) or using said civillians to gain detailed knowledge of the city itself for tactical advantages.

I'd give it to Mercer here, unless Cole found a way to compensate for his lower speed and stealth abilities.

Kris Strife
2009-06-15, 07:22 PM
Cole's ability to detect enemies disguised as civilians by using his ESP?

Cole's gliding and induction grind abilites?

Soniku
2009-06-15, 07:55 PM
Cole's ability to detect enemies disguised as civilians by using his ESP?

Cole's gliding and induction grind abilites?

Gliding? My bad, I clearly haven't seen enough of InFamous to spot that. As for the ESP, Mercer can completely copy DNA, appearence, mannerisms and memories so I don't think it will work quite so well on him. Then again Cole hasn't tried to find Mercer hidden in a crowd so maybe it would.

Myatar_Panwar
2009-06-15, 08:24 PM
Mercer gets really fast late in the game. Like, really fast (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nANFLOFbQWM). Not only that, but he eventually gets a devastator attack which is the equivalent of a flesh laser beam about two feet in diameter. Theres no stoping that.

From what I've seen of infamous, Cole does not stand a chance. He is too slow, while Mercer is just about as mobile as you can get (can change his direction instantly while in the air, careen through the air in cannonball form, flying in general). He is also very strong when using muscle mass. To the point where a mere thrust of his palm can turn multiple civ's into a fine red mist. I don't know much about Cole's special attacks, but I don't think he could pull out enough of them to take down mercer before he reaches him and does his thing.

warty goblin
2009-06-15, 08:49 PM
Erm, Cole's a person, right? Doesn't Mercer just absorb people? The general agreement already seems to be that Mercer is more mobile. Unless I'm really missing something, this is gonna be a very, very short fight.

Primal Fury
2009-06-15, 10:08 PM
Hm. That certainly is a tough call. Mercer is much stronger than Cole, and a whole lot faster too. He has longer leaping distance, both vertical and horizontal. Hell, phisically speaking, Cole is just a regular guy, whereas Mercer has a whole bunch of crazy garbage up his shapeshifting sleeves.

But what Cole lacks in physicality, he makes up for in spades with range and raw electrical power. Electro sniping, shock grenades, bazooka lightning bolts, gigawatt blades (couldn't think up a cooler name), not to mention goin Emperor Palpatine on various asses.

Like I said, tough call.

As to Mercer simply... eating Cole, our electric friend is a far cry indeed from the various mutants and humans that Mercer deals with.

warty goblin
2009-06-15, 10:19 PM
As to Mercer simply... eating Cole, our electric friend is a far cry indeed from the various mutants and humans that Mercer deals with.

I fail to see how being able to throw lightening provides a defense against having one's biomass consumed. I'm not being snarky here either, it just doesn't follow. That would be like saying that a tank's main gun is a defense against RPGs. It can certainly prevent an RPG attack by blowing the dude with the launcher into very small pieces, but fundamentally it won't stop it. Armor will.

There's a difference between offensive power and ability to resist an enemy's attack.

hanzo66
2009-06-15, 10:34 PM
Cole's main ability is electricity. It's a useful ability that does have range over Alex's main attacks. However that's his only real ability currently, and even that comes with the weakness of Power Incontinence (apparently he can't use most electronic devices). All other abilities (agility and climbing skills) are at for the most part within human capabilities (barring Cole being able to land from large distances since that's apparently an Electricity-assisted ability).

Alex however has a much wider range of abilities. Besides his Manthulu transformations which will utterly brutalize Cole at close-range he also has Super-strength and Super-speed, allowing him to quickly close in on Cole if he's aware of him. His agility is way beyond human since while Cole can climb buildings Alex can merely run up them with amazing speed.

I would very much give most of the fight to Alex since Cole's abilities seem pretty grounded compared to Alex.

konfeta
2009-06-15, 10:42 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/luciferownsme/alexvscole.jpg

Corncracker
2009-06-15, 10:44 PM
Mercer is more mobile the Cole Mid Air, and on ground, however Cole has crazy manueverablity when on a building side.

On the building side, he can avoide Mercer's close range and ground capablilities, and beats out Mercers airiel skill from what I've seen.

So long as Cole sticks to the building side, a lot of Mercer's advantages don't mean nearly as much.

Lord Blace
2009-06-15, 10:48 PM
Ah, I was wondering when this would come up. I've been thinking about it too, having just beat both games.
Really, (and unfortunately I might add) Mercer would win. Hands down. He's just way more powerful. Sure, maybe Cole can get a few hits, but then Mercer can just glide away real fast, absorb some civis and come back and unleash some ultimate attack.

...But, I was thinking...
What if we used a more 'developed' Cole, maybe give him some of Kessler's speed/abilities. I mean, Cole could easily mistake Mercer for that adversary he saw in the flashes that Kessler showed him. And I think it brings the fight to a closer level.

Primal Fury
2009-06-15, 11:00 PM
Oh! That's a good point Thallis. That would actually sounds like something that could happen. Mercer does seem like a "devourer of worlds" type of villian. Not only would Cole be much stronger, but since he was stronger than his future self, we can assume Cole would be exponentially stronger than he was at the end of the game, though we don't know how far from the future Kessler came, so we can't really be sure. But yes, regular Cole would likely loose. Though not as easily as konfeta and warty goblin are making it out to be I don't think. I am simply making the assumption that Cole had some sort of defense against Mercer's absorbtion. Then again, maybe I just liked inFamous more than Prototype.

Lord Blace
2009-06-15, 11:08 PM
Oh! That's a good point Thallis. That would actually sounds like something that could happen. Mercer does seem like a "devourer of worlds" type of villian. Not only would Cole be much stronger, but since he was stronger than , we can assume Cole would be exponentially stronger than he was at the end of the game, though , so we can't really be sure. But yes, regular Cole would likely loose. Though not as easily as konfeta and warty goblin are making it out to be I don't think. I am simply making the assumption that Cole had some sort of defense against Mercer's absorbtion. Then again, maybe I just liked inFamous more than Prototype.

Yeah, I liked it better too, but Alex is just more powerful. And maybe the fact that Cole is living lightning will make it harder for him to absorb, but that doesn't change the fact that giant spikes everywhere, or tentacles of forced impalement are going to make it a near-flawless victory for Mercer. :smallannoyed:

konfeta
2009-06-15, 11:54 PM
Absorption isn't a question of willpower. it just happens. And when it is, he Mercer just breaks your spinal cord, puts you in a coma, then eats you.

Myatar_Panwar
2009-06-16, 12:20 AM
And sometimes he gets impatient and just rips you in half.

konfeta
2009-06-16, 12:37 AM
Or he gets playful and harpoons you 20 meters away, then bounce-eats you.

SKarious
2009-06-16, 12:55 AM
Haven't played Prototype, but I did understand that Mercer needs to weaken mutants & tough enemies before he can 'consume' them. I'm quite sure Cole could be considered more than a normal human.
Still, I'd give this fight to Mercer, with his better mobility & ability to fight at all ranges.

Myatar_Panwar
2009-06-16, 01:46 AM
He only needs to weaken one type of enemy in the game before consuming them (hunters). Everyone else (normal/ fat infected, civilians, police, marines, etc) he just grabs and eats.

But these things are huge beefy monsters. Cole is just a normal guy with some cool electric abilities right?

I don't doubt that Cole could break away from a grab and consume using his electrical prowess. What I do doubt is that he could survive any sort of weakening Mercer would have to dish out.

In other news, I really wish I had a PS3, cause Infamous looks like quite a bit of fun.

SKarious
2009-06-16, 02:04 AM
In his defence, Cole has a shockwave power. So unless Alex's consumption is instant I assume he could stay out of grab range, at least for a while.

Dihan
2009-06-16, 02:11 AM
Whipfist can be used to grab from range. Like, top of a tall building to ground range.

Soniku
2009-06-16, 12:11 PM
Well IIRC Mercer didn't deal too well with a taser to the gut when he encountered a guy wielding one, so I would think consumption wouldn't be a threat until he somehow stopped Cole from using electricity completely, since if he tried the grab/break neck thing or such Cole would probably just turn on the zapping and repel Mercer.

Long range consumption, depends how conductive his weird whiparm is.

Comet
2009-06-16, 12:58 PM
I don't know how much Cole's "maximum power" is, but Mercer becomes quite a monster towards the end of the game.
I mean: (story spoilers for Prototype)
Alex Mercer survives a nuclear explosion. I think Cole would have a hard time applying enough electricity to stop him at that level of regeneration.

Mercer is faster, stronger, more versatile and completely ruthless. Short of finding some handicap for Mercer, I don't think Cole could stand a chance.

Kris Strife
2009-06-16, 06:28 PM
Well, if we're allowed to give Cole his Kessler level powers if he escapes Mercer's initial attack, he can just use his time travel power to go back before Mercer had his powers or while he was much weaker. Or you know, just get a bunch of time clones of himself and hit Mercer with like twelve of the giant bolts of death from the sky.