PDA

View Full Version : Sanctuary Guardian (PrC)

Raum
2006-07-28, 11:34 PM
A Sanctuary Guardian is both a priest and a master craftsman for his deity. While able to administer most of the rites a normal priest is tasked with, his primary task is creating, guiding, and controlling the constructs set to guard a temple, relic, location, or even person. The sanctuary guardian is tasked to build constructs as mobile protectors for temples, mausoleums, and other divine sites or personages.
Hit Die: d8.

Requirements
To qualify to become a sancuary guardian, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Skills: Craft (one of the following: pottery, leatherworking, weaponsmithing, stonemasonry, woodworking, metalworking) 10 ranks, Spellcraft 10 ranks.
Feat: any item creation feat
Special: Ability to turn or rebuke undead.

Class Skills
The sanctuary guardian's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Heal (Wis), Knowledge (arcana, history, planes, religion) (Int), and Spellcraft (Int).
Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Class Features
All the following are class features of the sanctuary guardian prestige class. BAB: Poor.
Saves: Good Fortitude, Poor Reflex, Good Willpower.
Spells: +1 level of existing divine at levels 2-10.

Special by level:
1 - Turn / Rebuke Construct
2 - Craft Construct
3 - Construct Expertise +1
4 -
5 - Construct Expertise +2
6 - Arcane Construct
7 - Construct Expertise +3
8 -
9 - Construct Expertise +4
10 - Augment Construct
Turn/Rebuke Construct
A cleric channeling negative energy may turn or destroy constructs as a good cleric turns undead. Sancuary Guardian levels stack with cleric levels for the purposes of turning constructs though not for turning undead. A cleric channeling positive energy may rebuke or command constructs as an evil cleric rebukes undead. The reversal of roles is intentional. The interaction of negative energy with physical matter often causes a decay effect which is accelerated by negative energy channeling sanctuary guardians to destroy constructs.

Craft Construct
A sanctuary guardian of second level gains the Craft Construct feat.

Construct Expertise
A sanctuary guardian gains bonuses to skills related to constructs. The bonus applies to all knowledge, craft, listen, or spot checks involving constructs. At third level the bonus is +1, +2 at fifth level, +3 at seventh, and +4 at ninth level.

Arcane Construct
A sixth level sanctuary guardian learns to use arcane scrolls during construct creation. A craft check (DC 20 + caster level) with the craft being used to create the construct is required to be successful. Unsuccessful attempts destroy the scroll and use up a day's worth of materials and progress. Sanctuary Guardians are unable to actually invoke arcane scrolls, they are only able to incorporate the magic into the creation of a construct.

Augment Construct
A tenth level sanctuary guardian may augment a single construct by spending one or more daily turn attempts as shown on the following table. Augmentations last for one minute.

Augmentation (Effect) Turn Attempts Used
Celerity (+10' movement) 2
Hasten (+1 extra attack) 2
Toughen (+2 hit points per hit die) 3
Harden (+1 Natural Armor Class bonus) 1*
Strengthen (+2 Strength) 2*
Awaken (Gives the construct intelligence#) 5
*May be used multiple times on the same construct, the effects stack.

#Intelligent constructs are generally friendly to their creator (not necessarily awakener) but are not otherwise required to obey anyone unless commanded by someone able to command constructs. Awakened constructs gain 3d6-4 intelligence, minimum intelligence of 3.

Constructs created by the sanctuary guardian may be permanently augmented by spending an additional 1000 gold per turn attempt used.

-----
Sigh. I detest trying to deal with tables in bbcode. Oh well, I hope it's readable. As always, comments are welcome.

Edit: Spelling.

wippit
2006-07-29, 12:51 AM
The class is pretty good, although I'll make a couple of suggestions.

1. It's more of a cloistered-type class. I'd drop the good fort save.

2. Make level 1 an existing spell level too.

3. Give them a prestige domain, something along the lines of the Craft domain from Faerun players guide. Replace the fantastic machine spells though (animate object works well at 6, don't know a choice for 9th off the top of my head.

Fax Celestis
2006-07-29, 12:56 AM
Ten ranks? In two skills? We're talking, what, level seven at minimum? Clerics aren't exactly skillmonkeys, only having 2+int per level (meaning 1 in concentration, 1 in knowledge (religion) and 1 in spellcraft), so getting into this class is going to be an ordeal...or a planned thing from the get go. I'd reduce the requirements skill-wise down to six or seven. Probably seven.

Raum
2006-07-29, 01:03 AM
The class is pretty good, although I'll make a couple of suggestions.

1. It's more of a cloistered-type class. I'd drop the good fort save.
What do you meant by "cloistered"? I see the PrC as a cleric who has replaced an emphasis on fighting with an emphasis on crafting. Both are physical activities so I left the Fort save.

2. Make level 1 an existing spell level too.
I had it that way originally but thought it made the class overpowered. Should it be readded?

3. Give them a prestige domain, something along the lines of the Craft domain from Faerun players guide. Replace the fantastic machine spells though (animate object works well at 6, don't know a choice for 9th off the top of my head.
I don't have the Faerun Players Guide, are there any core or complete domains equivalent to Craft?

Ten ranks? In two skills? We're talking, what, level seven at minimum? Clerics aren't exactly skillmonkeys, only having 2+int per level (meaning 1 in concentration, 1 in knowledge (religion) and 1 in spellcraft), so getting into this class is going to be an ordeal...or a planned thing from the get go. I'd reduce the requirements skill-wise down to six or seven. Probably seven.
Good point. However what do you think of dropping the Spellcraft requirement to 5 and leaving Craft at 10? Given the Arcane Construct ability later the character is going to need the ranks in Craft.

Also, the skill prerequisite is what decides entry level at the moment.

Fizban
2006-07-29, 01:13 AM
For the arcane construct ability I would let them emulate the spells like an artificer (EBCS) does, but using the relevent craft skill instead, otherwise pretty good: I like it.

wippit
2006-07-29, 01:26 AM
Cloistered = not out adventuring. This is going to be a person that spends the majority of his time in workshops, and overseeing things at the temple. As such, he's not going to be 'in the thick of things' out adventuring. Hence the drop in Fort.

Adding the spell level is to compensate for the not good fort save.

Wizards posts the craft domain on their site, so I guess it's open content, right?

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_Craftdomain&alpha=