PDA

View Full Version : Boogymen of the Planes [PEACH]

The Demented One
2006-07-27, 08:54 PM
Eye-Biting Man
Size/Type: Medium Outsider (Dreamborn, Extraplanar)
Hit Dice: 12d8+48 (100 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 30 ft., climb 40 ft.
Armor Class: 21 (+3 Dex, +8 natural), touch 13, flatfooted 18
Base Attack/Grapple: +12/+20
Attack: 2 Bites +20 melee (1d10+8)
Full Attack: 2 Bites +20 melee (1d10+8) and 2 Claws +17 melee (1d6+4)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Twin bite, rend eyes, frightful unmasking, howl of the eyes
Special Qualities: Outsider traits, blindsight 30 ft., DR 10/good, fast healing 2, immune to sonic, resistance to fire 10 and cold 10, SR 21, mask of concealment, perfect equilibrium
Saves: Fort +13, Ref +12, Will +11
Abilities: Str 26, Dex 16, Con 18, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 18
Skills: Climb +31, Hide +18, Intimidate +19, Jump +23, Listen +17, Move Silently +18, Sense Motive +17, Tumble +18
Feats: Power Attack, Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack, Multiattack
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 11
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Lawful Evil
Advancement: 12-24 HD (Medium), 25-32 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: –

The Eye-Biting Men are one of the great mysteries of the universe, the boogeymen of Sigil. No one knows if they are enforcers of planar justice gone wrong, the results of a mad wizard’s experimentation, or simply a strange planar race with a sick sense of humor. Because of the way they lurk in the Plane of Dreams when not hunting, however, some believe them to be personified nightmares, a dark reflection of humanity. They roam the planes, though their methods of travel are unknown, seeking out those who have somehow offended their sense of justice, and ripping out and devouring their eyes. They do not kill by choice, nor do they commit any other acts of evil besides the eye-eating unless it is necessary–their existence is summed up entirely by their names. An Eye-Biting Man looks like a cloaked figure wearing a plain white mask...until it attacks. Then, it removes its mask, revealing a pale grey face, featureless save for two gaping mouths were the eyes of normal men would be.

Twin Bite (Ex)
As a standard action, an Eye-Biting Man may make a single attack with both of its bite attacks.

Rend Eyes (Ex)
Whenever an Eye-Biting Man successfully hits a creature with a bite attack, the creature must make a DC 24 Reflex save or have one of its eyes ripped out, causing it to take a -6 penalty on Search and Spot checks. The save is Strength based. A creature wearing goggles, lenses, or a mask gets a +6 circumstance bonus on the save, but the agile jaws of an Eye-Biting Man can slip past them. Once all its eyes have been ripped out, it goes blind, and the eyes can only be restored by a regenerate spell or similar magic.

Frightful Unmasking (Su)
Whenever an Eye-Biting Man removes its mask, all creatures capable of seeing it must make a DC 20 Will save or be frightened for 1d6 rounds. This is a mind-affecting, fear effect. If a creature makes it save, it becomes immune to that Eye-Biting Man’s frightful unmasking ability for 24 hours.

Howl of the Eyes (Su)
As a full-round action, an Eye-Biting Man may unleash a destructive scream from both its mouths. This is a 40 ft. cone of sonic energy that deals 8d6 points of damage. A creature caught in the cone must make 2 DC 20 Reflex saves for half damage. A creature that fails both of its saved is deafened for 1d3 rounds.

Mask of Concealment (Su)
As a swift action, a Eye-Biting Man may create a plain white mask that completely covers its face. It cannot be physically removed and no magic short of an artifact or a god’s will can be used to see what lies behind it. While wearing the mask, the Eye-Biting Man may not use its bite attacks or its Howl of the Eyes ability. The Eye-Biting Man may unmask as a swift action.

Perfect Equilibrium (Su)
An Eye-Biting Man is capable of walking on non-solid or difficult surfaces, such as water or ice, as if it were normal terrain. In addition, it may climb up walls and on ceilings, unhindered by gravity.

martyboy74
2006-07-27, 08:58 PM
That'd be...interesting...to run into. Magical goggles/masks might be useful.

The Demented One
2006-07-27, 09:04 PM
That'd be...interesting...to run into. Magical goggles/masks might be useful.
Hmm...they might grant a circumstance bonus.

NullAshton
2006-07-27, 09:35 PM
*shivers* Can't you people post some relaxing monsters for a while? For a nice dungeon battle? Not gouge your eyes out scary?

Herbert_West
2006-07-27, 09:40 PM
just curious, is this Sandman inspired?
There was a really creepy guy with teeth for eyes that escaped from the Dreamworld or something like that.

The Demented One
2006-07-27, 09:45 PM
just curious, is this Sandman inspired?
There was a really creepy guy with teeth for eyes that escaped from the Dreamworld or something like that.

It's vaguely based on the Corinthian, but a large part of it is just my own depravity.

martyboy74
2006-07-27, 09:48 PM
I'd hate to think of what you and VT could cook up if you tried. *shivers* The scary thing is that one of these is made about every hour.

chaiyo
2006-07-27, 10:24 PM
Sir, you have given me a scary creature with which I will discourage my most annoying player from messing around with the Outlands (Or any other planes, for that matter). You know, besides anything else written... That isn't as certain to cause a 'Save versus DM storytelling or whimper uncontrollably' effect.

Herbert_West
2006-07-27, 10:44 PM
It's vaguely based on the Corinthian, but a large part of it is just my own depravity.

Ah, okay.
Awsome by the way, new monster to freak out the PC.

DMgrinder
2006-07-27, 11:06 PM
I told it to VT and I'm telling it to you: Get a job doing this! You could make real money doing this. Between you and VT you have made enough monsters for a whole new book. Not just forum monsters, either, real, unique monsters that could be used to soak up some dough.

The Demented One
2006-07-28, 11:15 AM
I told it to VT and I'm telling it to you: Get a job doing this! You could make real money doing this. Between you and VT you have made enough monsters for a whole new book. Not just forum monsters, either, real, unique monsters that could be used to soak up some dough.
Hmm...this concept of "money" intrigues me.

squishycube
2006-07-28, 11:28 AM
I am strangely confused by the severe penalty when both your eyes get ripped out:

Very simple cleric magic can restore sight to a blind person (or hearing to a deaf one, for that matter).

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/removeBlindnessDeafness.htm

What is the reason for this blindness being so hard to remove?

I like the monster a lot on the whole, scary monsters is good.

martyboy74
2006-07-28, 11:37 AM
I am strangely confused by the severe penalty when both your eyes get ripped out:

Very simple cleric magic can restore sight to a blind person (or hearing to a deaf one, for that matter).

That would be because most of those spells just restore functions to pre-existing eyes. This thing eats your eyes.

NullAshton
2006-07-28, 11:51 AM
Minor thing... isnt a DC 26 reflex save a little too high?

Consider that a ninth level rogue has a base reflex save of 6. Then assume the rogue started out with 18 dexterity, and put all his fourth level attribute points into dexterity. That gives him a total reflex save of... 11. That means our semi-high reflex rogue succeeds on that save with a roll of 15 or higher!!!

Now lets have the person that WILL be fighting this monster up close. A fighter. 9th level has a base save of 3. Let's assume this is a high dex fighter, with 20 dexterity. It's up to 8 now, yay. Finnally, let's give him lightning reflexes, for a total reflex save of 10. Our primary melee guy, who is going to probally be up close and personal with this guy, has to roll a 16 or more just to not have his eyes ripped out by a single bite attack. And that's just on a fighter dedicated to reflex saves. For an 8 dex no lightning reflexes fighter... 2 reflex save modifier, for natural 20 territory. So basically, if the fighter gets hit twice by this creature's eyebite, which is possible with one standard action... I'M BLIND!!!!!!

Maybe alter it to a fortitude save, since it seems more reasonable for having eyes ripped out. As well as reducing it to something doable by people without good saves.

The Demented One
2006-07-28, 02:10 PM

Like PD said, it's the whole "chomp" aspect of the Rend Eyes ability.

Minor thing... isnt a DC 26 reflex save a little too high?

Consider that a ninth level rogue has a base reflex save of 6. Then assume the rogue started out with 18 dexterity, and put all his fourth level attribute points into dexterity. That gives him a total reflex save of... 11. That means our semi-high reflex rogue succeeds on that save with a roll of 15 or higher!!!

Now lets have the person that WILL be fighting this monster up close. A fighter. 9th level has a base save of 3. Let's assume this is a high dex fighter, with 20 dexterity. It's up to 8 now, yay. Finnally, let's give him lightning reflexes, for a total reflex save of 10. Our primary melee guy, who is going to probally be up close and personal with this guy, has to roll a 16 or more just to not have his eyes ripped out by a single bite attack. And that's just on a fighter dedicated to reflex saves. For an 8 dex no lightning reflexes fighter... 2 reflex save modifier, for natural 20 territory. So basically, if the fighter gets hit twice by this creature's eyebite, which is possible with one standard action... I'M BLIND!!!!!!

Maybe alter it to a fortitude save, since it seems more reasonable for having eyes ripped out. As well as reducing it to something doable by people without good saves.
True. The save is intentionally high, and I was thinking of bumping the CR into the 10-12 range. Might also trade out Ability Focus for another feat, just to make the save a wee bit lower.