2006-07-27, 03:49 PM
Moira
Size/Type: Medium Fey
Hit Dice: 12d6+26 (65 hp)
Initiative: +6
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 20 (+6 Dex, +4 natural), touch 16, flatfooted 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+7
Attack: Masterwork dagger +12 melee (1d4+1/19-20) or longbow +12 ranged (1d8/x3)
Full Attack: Masterwork dagger +12/+7 melee (1d4+1/19-20) or longbow +12 ranged (1d8/x3)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Animate deathless, turn undead, bane of undead, spell-like abilities
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, DR 10/cold iron or evil, hallowed monolith, preserve corpse
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +8, Will +8
Abilities: Str 12, Dex 22, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 20, Cha 20
Skills: Bluff +20, Diplomacy +20, Hide +21, Knowledge (Nature) +10, Knowledge (Religion) +9, Listen +20, Move Silently +21, Spot +20, Tumble +21
Feats: Weapon Finesse, Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack, Empower Spell-Like Ability (Cure Moderate Wounds)
Environment: Any forests
Organization: Solitary, pair, or mourning (3-6)
Challenge Rating: 6
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Always Neutral Good or True Neutral
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: +2

The Moirae are the gravekeepers of the fey. Each Moira is bound to a sacred standing stone, and when they find a corpse in the woods, they take it and bury it in the hallowed ground surrounding their monolith. In times of danger, they can call back those they have buried to defend them, in the form of deathless warriors. Moirae have boundless hatred for undeath, and will almost mindlessly attack any undead that comes near its home stone, lest it defile the monolith and surrounding graveyard. Moirae look much like the very corpses they care for, with a pale, thin body and an eerie beauty.

Animate Deathless (Su)
As a standard action, a Moira may touch any corpse she has preserved with her preserve corpse ability to animate it as an Undying Soldier* under her control. She may control up to 24 HD of Undying Soldiers this way. As a swift action, she may allow the spirit of any deathless under her control to pass into the afterlife, de-animating it. In addition, an Undying Soldier that is more than 100 ft. from the Moira’s monolith automatically de-animates.

*From the Eberron Campaign Setting.

Turn Undead (Su)
A Moira turns undead as a 12th level cleric.

Bane of Undead (Su)
Any weapon a Moira wields gains the undead bane special ability.

Spell-Like Abilities
At will–detect undead, disrupt undead, hide from undead; 3/day–cure moderate wounds, magic circle against evil. Caster level 6th.

Hallowed Monolith (Su)
Each Moira is tied to a standing stone. Though they can venture far from it without any ill effect, if it is toppled, the Moira takes 1d4 points of Constitution drain every hour until it is re-erected. The land within 100 ft. of the monolith is hallowed, as the spell, and the monolith is treated as if it were an altar of a good deity.

Preserve Corpse (Su)
As a standard action, a Moira may touch any corpse to prevent it from decaying. As long as it remains within 100 ft. of her monolith, the corpse remains unspoiled, as the gentle repose spell.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-07-27, 03:57 PM
I really like this lady here in all regards, and the idea of summoning deathless (despite how many seem to despise their concept).

Poison_Fish
2006-07-27, 04:01 PM
Gah, the thread title, it's nearly as bad as me talking about wood aspect dragon blood in Exalted.

Otherwise, very cool. I could see some uses of it if I ever ran a D&D game.

The Demented One
2006-07-27, 04:05 PM
I really like this lady here in all regards, and the idea of summoning deathless (despite how many seem to despise their concept).
I'd personally rather just have the undead type and say that good undead exist, but someone at Wizards seems unable to disassociate negative energy from evil.