PDA

View Full Version : Vampire v. Werewolf

MissK
2009-06-11, 03:56 PM
So - after reading New Moon (Don't hate me! It's like crack cocaine - it's everywhere and you can't stop doing it!) I realized that, in every setting I've been exposed to, I like werewolves more than vampires. I talked it over with some friends - and found that they ALL, without exception, prefer vampires.:smallconfused:

Opinions?

Also, if you had to become either a vampire or a werewolf, which would you choose and why?

Emperor Ing
2009-06-11, 04:07 PM
Let me try to examine this carefully:

Lycans: Every day you're a regular human with their normal strengths and weaknesses, except when a full moon comes out every 30-something days for 2 or 3 nights. From which you turn into a semibipedal (think gorilla) wolf on steroids, with a special weakness to Silver. Requires normal food to survive (and meat in Changed form)

Vampires: Can only be active during the night, otherwise, hiding is advised. Must drink blood (any kind of blood) to survive. On the plus side, they become incredibly strong and seductive, and penetration into the heart can be fatal to them ONLY if it's wood. On the down side, they have a list of weaknesses. The most major being sunlight.

If they were to do battle: It would have to be somewhere during the night on a full moon, assuming there's not a cloud in the sky.

Personally, i'd go with Vamp because i'd get immortality, as well as being able to command my own flesh. (well, more or less :smalltongue:) and the majority of my weaknesses are pretty conventional causes of fatality. (wouldn't a wooden steak to the heart or Decapitation kill anything? :smalltongue:)

Faleldir
2009-06-11, 04:13 PM
The question is impossible to answer without details. Our vampires are different (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OurVampiresAreDifferent), after all.
If I had to choose, I'd be a werewolf, even though the thought of it sickens me and I definitely would NEVER have sex in my alternate form. At least I'd be alive, I'd look normal most of the time, eat real food, keep my job, etc.. If I ever killed someone, I'd have less free will than a classic vampire, so no angst. But it's a terrible curse, not something I would want.

Mewtarthio
2009-06-11, 04:18 PM
Vampires and werewolves are too ill-defined to make a valid comparison. When you say "werewolf," I can at least assume you mean "human who transforms into a wolf or wolfman uncontrollably on or around the full moon and has no control over his transformed self nor knowledge of what he does during that time," even though there's a ton of other creatures you could be referring to. With "vampire," on the other hand, I can't narrow it down any more than "nocturnal guy who drinks blood" (and even that isn't necessarily accurate).

In the traditional sense, vampires and werewolves are both invariably evil. However, a vampire is not held responsible for its actions, as the original person has died and been replaced by a twisted mockery of himself. Werewolves, on the other hand, are sorcerers wearing wolf pelts with the demonically-granted power to become wolves, so they go to hell when they die. In that sense, vampires are better.

Since that traditional definition of werewolf is unpopular these days, the desirability of being a werewolf depends on how much the transformation effects your "normal" self. Sometimes, werewolves are perfectly normal human beings who just have to chain themselves up a few nights a month. Sometimes their wolf side bleeds over into their human side, causing them to become monsters in all their forms.

As for vampires... I'm not touching that. Are you repelled by that which is holy? Do you lose your soul? Does sunlight kill you instantly, merely weaken you (the original Dracula), or have no effect beyond some embarrassing sparkling? Do you have to kill a human each night to survive, or can you subsist off of small amounts from willing donors, animal blood, hospital blood packs, or even esoteric substances like psychic energy? Can you be killed by any human with a stick or a torch (BtVS), or do you have to have to get your head chopped off, stuffed with holy wafers, burned, dissolved into holy water, and then buried in consecrated grounds, and guarded for the rest of eternity lest some cult perform a ritual and restore you to full power? There's just too many variables.

VampireRot
2009-06-11, 04:25 PM
My completely unbiased answer is vampire. :smalltongue:

Because wet dog smells bad. :smallyuk:

Not the sparkly kind of vampire though, the evil, souless and monstrous kind. :smallannoyed:

Mando Knight
2009-06-11, 04:26 PM
Hey, wait. In D&D 3.5, you could apply both templates...

...Vampire Werewolf (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NinjaPirateZombieRobot)!

Muz
2009-06-11, 04:33 PM
I'd rather BE neither, thanks. That said, vampires are much more interesting to me than werewolves. There's a depth (at least to my tastes) to the vampire myth that the werewolf myth just doesn't have.

But that's just my opinion. I'm fully aware that people have different tastes than I do. (I mean, my opinion is RIGHT, but... :smallwink: )

Closet_Skeleton
2009-06-11, 05:02 PM
Depends on the vampire and the werewolf. Since some werewolves are alright guys and vampires are walking corpses who either angst about needing to drink blood or are complete monsters, I'd rather have a werewolf for a pal/girlfriend.

Werewolves, on the other hand, are sorcerers wearing wolf pelts with the demonically-granted power to become wolves, so they go to hell when they die. In that sense, vampires are better.

There are about a thousand differant "mythological" werewolves, some are just normal people who just happen to be able to shapeshift at will. What you described sounds more like a native american skin walker than a European werewolf.

Both werewolves and vampires have equally been completly redifined by Hollywood (or Hollywood copying German Expressionist Cinema).

Do you have to kill a human each night to survive, or can you subsist off of small amounts from willing donors, animal blood, hospital blood packs, or even esoteric substances like psychic energy?

Having to kill a human every night just wouldn't work. You'd destroy your food source too quickly.

Linkavitch
2009-06-11, 05:21 PM
My completely unbiased answer is vampire. :smalltongue:

Because wet dog smells bad. :smallyuk:

Not the sparkly kind of vampire though, the evil, souless and monstrous kind. :smallannoyed:

I agree with this guy. And Mando Knight. I could be a Vampire Werewolf!

Primal Fury
2009-06-11, 05:24 PM
I'd pick werewolf, but Mewtarthio is right. There is no all-encompasing, "quintessential" werewolf or vampire that all other werewolves and vampires can be measured by. So it depends on which setting you use. In the "Van Helsing" movie, werewolves were subserviant to vampires, or to Dracula himself at the very least, I'm not sure if that was made very clear, but either way, the werewolf would eventually completely lose control of himself, so no dice there. In the "Underworld" setting, werewolves used to be slaves to vampires but are now free to do as they wish, seem to be immortal, have complete control of their shapeshifting and themselves. So I would choose werewolf here. I love the nWoD setting werewolves, they have their own history, mythology, religion, and society. Plus a whole bunch of other super awesome stuff. So I would choose werewolf here as well. Hell, I'd go with the sorcerer who uses wolf pelts, just because sorcerery is kickass.

Flickerdart
2009-06-11, 08:31 PM
Can't some vampires turn into wolves? That sort of invalidates the whole werewolf thing.

VampireRot
2009-06-11, 08:33 PM
Can't some vampires turn into wolves? That sort of invalidates the whole werewolf thing.

Yeah, but vampires can only turn into regular wolves. Werewolves are usually seen as bipedal, super-strong wolfmen. So there is a difference.

KnightDisciple
2009-06-11, 08:47 PM
Hm.

Definitely not vampire.

I'm not super-versed in werewolf lore, but...

"Underworld" lycan: yes

nWoD werewolf: yes

Dresden Files werewolf (as in, Billy the werewolf): probably

Harry Potter werewolf: only if I had access to wolfsbane potion.

nWoD werewolves get a really good deal, overall. While there are "control the beast" moments, you're pretty much in control of yourself, and have multiple handy forms to make use of. And if you use the ritual of pants (well, attunement or some such, but you get the idea), you don't even have to shuck your clothes!

nothingclever
2009-06-11, 09:34 PM
I like the concept of being a vampire a lot more than being a werewolf. In so many settings werewolves are restricted on when they can transform and use their powers and they suffer from uncontrollable urges so they might not even get to use their powers the way they want to when they actually kick in. Plus I don't like the idea of being a furry. I rather not grow tons of hair and shred my clothing. In some settings werewolves can change anytime they want to or don't even need to change to use their powers but there are settings where vampires have no weaknesses or limitations as well. Vampires get to live forever and get all the cool powers werewolves have plus many others depending on the setting. By default on average vampires are just mechanically the better thing to be if you want to defend yourself and be super powerful in general. The sunlight thing sucks as well as some other weaknesses but you could always find ways to avoid dealing with them. You can't prepare very well for suddenly having the urge to kill and eat random animals around you.

thubby
2009-06-11, 09:44 PM
i agree with the "need more info" crowd.

if i could choose to be any vampire or any werewolf, i would be a hellsing vampire. even the weak ones can go out in sunlight.

Faulty
2009-06-11, 09:49 PM
I dunno. Werewolves turn into bipedal wolves and tear your face off, which is pretty awesome, but there's something about vampires too. I guess the fact that simply surviving requires utter depravity is really interesting. It's why I really hate stuff like Twilight, vampires are supposed to be deranged mockeries of life, and that can be really interesting.

Primal Fury
2009-06-11, 09:55 PM
i agree with the "need more info" crowd.

if i could choose to be any vampire or any werewolf, i would be a hellsing vampire. even the weak ones can go out in sunlight.

Hellsing Vampire? What? You mean like Alucard? Or like all the other vampires who aren't nearly as earth-shatteringly powerful?

EDIT: Come to think of it... the closest mechanical representation of Alucard might a vampire from V:tM, or V:tR. He might even be an Abyssal exalt. Hm.

KnightDisciple
2009-06-11, 10:04 PM
Alucard is roughly a "you lose" class vampire.

Primal Fury
2009-06-11, 10:14 PM
Alucard is roughly a "you lose" class vampire.

Oh. So he's a Deathlord.

KnightDisciple
2009-06-11, 10:19 PM
Oh. So he's a Deathlord.

I...guess? :smallconfused: Not sure what that is.

But he's yet to be killed. The two closest were a regenerating Catholic warrior-priest hopped up on the powers of one of the nails that crucified Christ, and a weird Schrodinger's catman that had some kind of quantum existence thing going on. The second only happened because Alucard drank his blood, killing him (the catman)

Primal Fury
2009-06-11, 11:14 PM
Sorry. One must be versed in Exalted to understand the refrence.

Lord Seth
2009-06-11, 11:31 PM
Also, if you had to become either a vampire or a werewolf, which would you choose and why?What kind of vampire and what kind of werewolf?

I mean, in The Dresden Files alone there's at least four kinds of both vampires and werewolves...

Ganurath
2009-06-11, 11:40 PM
Werewolves for me, as the drawbacks are less restricting. Plus, when I'm caught in the inevitable war between Werewolves and Vampires, my side is much more adept at exploiting the shared weakness: Decapitation. Seriously, the vampire would have to gnaw for a long time, whereas with the werewolf it's just a twist and a pop.

Mewtarthio
2009-06-12, 12:08 AM
I like the concept of being a vampire a lot more than being a werewolf. In so many settings werewolves are restricted on when they can transform and use their powers and they suffer from uncontrollable urges so they might not even get to use their powers the way they want to when they actually kick in. Plus I don't like the idea of being a furry. I rather not grow tons of hair and shred my clothing. In some settings werewolves can change anytime they want to or don't even need to change to use their powers but there are settings where vampires have no weaknesses or limitations as well.

Wait, what? :smallconfused: If it's kink you're worried about, then don't vampires usually have, like, really strong S&M undertones, much stronger than any furry undertones werewolves have ever had?

Lord Seth
2009-06-12, 12:45 AM
Wait, what? :smallconfused: If it's kink you're worried about, then don't vampires usually have, like, really strong S&M undertones, much stronger than any furry undertones werewolves have ever had?Well, yeah, they might have stronger undertones. But werewolves don't have furry undertones, because they are furry.

It's a little like saying that the Nazis have "fascist undertones." (sorry about invoking Godwin's Law)

Athaniar
2009-06-12, 01:31 AM
Aww, I came in here expecting Underworld.

Anyway, I'd say vampire, but only if I didn't have any of those weird weaknesses, like sunlight, garlic, running water, and dependance on blood. Especially not garlic.

thubby
2009-06-12, 01:51 AM
Hellsing Vampire? What? You mean like Alucard? Or like all the other vampires who aren't nearly as earth-shatteringly powerful?

EDIT: Come to think of it... the closest mechanical representation of Alucard might a vampire from V:tM, or V:tR. He might even be an Abyssal exalt. Hm.

the enemy vampires aren't actually vampires, or at least they're not natural ones.

so seras or alucard. (seras gets uber at the end too)

but even the millennium vampires were pretty impressive, and i don't think they were light sensitive.

Corvus
2009-06-12, 02:39 AM
Werewolves all the way for me. I loathe vampires almost as much as I hate elves.

I refer to this debate, and other like it (such as Dwarves vs elves, dogs vs cats, pirates vs ninjas, Narn vs Centauri, Horde vs Alliance etc) as a Primal vs Intellectual debate.

On one hand you have the wild, hard living, hard fighting, quick to anger, quick to forget types and on the other the devious, underhanded, grudge-holding cowards. I'm in the obviously superior Primal camp :)

The Intellectuals also are the more evil villains - the Primals tend to more spur of the moment evil, while the Intellectuals indulge in premeditated evil.

Ravens_cry
2009-06-12, 02:46 AM
Let's see, a vampire with traditional (read: Hollywood) weaknesses and strengths, we are talking Dracula here, verses classic werewolf who turn uncontrollably into man-beast at a full moon. The vampire is super strong every single night, is in mostly control of his facilities compared to the werewolf, who is only super a few nights of the month. The smart Vampire simply catches him when he's not man-beast.
Variations on their respective themes can conceivably give the advantage to one or the other, but as outlined, I believe the advantage goes to the Vampire.

Ganurath
2009-06-12, 02:48 AM
Let's see, a vampire with traditional (read: Hollywood) weaknesses and strengths, we are talking Dracula here, verses classic werewolf who turn uncontrollably into man-beast at a full moon. The vampire is super strong every single night, is in mostly control of his facilities compared to the werewolf, who is only super a few nights of the month. The smart Vampire simply catches him when he's not man-beast.
Variations on their respective themes can conceivably give the advantage to one or the other, but as outlined, I believe the advantage goes to the Vampire.This isn't a "Which Would Win" versus thread, it's a "Which Do You Like Better" versus thread.

Fan
2009-06-12, 02:50 AM
Well, if Hellsing vampires are options then **** yes I'mah vamp NAOW. Everything else, sans fan fiction, and twilight, even, because as it stands I don't really go out during the day, have thick curtains on my windows because I like to sleep late, and blood just tastes like copper to me, so I wouldn't really mind. >.>
I also like my meat rare, or medium rare... What? Stop staring at me like that.

Satyr
2009-06-12, 03:20 AM
That greatly depends on the vampire in question.

This vampire is awesome.

http://www.soundonsight.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/nosferatu-4.jpg

These vampires are nauseating.

http://images.art.com/images/products/large/10104000/10104032.jpg

And Werewolves, well werwolves are a metaphor for anger control issues and the urge to break oput from society restrictions and become free and wild (and therefore a mrdering predator). Vampires are a metaphor for rapists (who happen to spread the Black Death). But since there are many people who cannot differentiate between obsession and love, the idea of "romantic" vampires became virulent.

And Werewolves got the better RPG.

mikej
2009-06-12, 04:09 AM
Vampire

Preferably Hellsing or the Underworld genre. The sparkle Vampires from the book of mary su...Twilight can burn in the pits of hell.

Fan
2009-06-12, 04:20 AM
That greatly depends on the vampire in question.

This vampire is awesome.

http://www.soundonsight.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/nosferatu-4.jpg

These vampires are nauseating.

http://images.art.com/images/products/large/10104000/10104032.jpg

And Werewolves, well werwolves are a metaphor for anger control issues and the urge to break oput from society restrictions and become free and wild (and therefore a mrdering predator). Vampires are a metaphor for rapists (who happen to spread the Black Death). But since there are many people who cannot differentiate between obsession and love, the idea of "romantic" vampires became virulent.

And Werewolves got the better RPG.

Yeah, but vampires got the better Anime.

And you can't really deny the kick ass awesome that is this guy

http://images.absoluteanime.com/hellsing/alucard.gif

Oslecamo
2009-06-12, 04:54 AM
Well, if Hellsing vampires are options then **** yes I'mah vamp NAOW.

Well bear in mind that in Hellsing your vampire powers seem to be directly proportional to the number of souls you've consumed.

But yes. If the police girl is any base, then Hellsing vampires rock hard. Alucard just rocks harder than all of them.

On the other hand, you still run the risk of being killed by a buttler with strings.

Satyr
2009-06-12, 04:58 AM
And you can't really deny the kick ass awesome that is this guy

And how I can. I found Allucard to be an exactly equally dull mary sue character than those twilight vamps.

Fan
2009-06-12, 05:09 AM
Your lucky there's a internet there.... Alucard is a solid monster, he admits it, and ENJOYS it.Edward Cullen to quote "I don't want to be a monster" Edward Cullen is a wussified EXCUSE for Nosferatu. Alucard's also better written then anything Stephenie Meyer could DREAM of putting out.
That, and who really cares if he's physically powerful, he's a kick ass enough character to make up for his physical mary sueness.
Also, let me spell out the differences for you.

Alucard-

****ing Dracula
Doesn't sparkle
Isn't a creepy biophialic
Actually appeals to people who aren't 17 year old girls.
Actually dies, just doesn't give a ****.

Edward the crappily written

Poorly written
Sparkles
Pedo
bull **** "vegetarian"
Can't be actually harmed by anything
Has VENOM that makes people pregnant
Even his CHILD is mary sue
100 year old virgin, need I say more?

Massive, unalienable, difference in quality of writing in character aside, they are NOTHING alike.:smallannoyed:

Oslecamo
2009-06-12, 06:03 AM
And how I can. I found Allucard to be an exactly equally dull mary sue character than those twilight vamps.

He ends up defeated by an unholy nazi+catboy combination. That's exactly the oposite of mary sue.

Kris Strife
2009-06-12, 06:35 AM
Werewolf. Either Adventure Quest or Discworld style.

I like being able to go out during the day, I like my steaks and burgers medium well or well done, I enjoy eating some vegetables. Oh and I like having a pulse. Having a pulse is awesome. And being able to cross running water, go to church, not go insane trying to find my socks, having to stop to count scattered sesame seeds, live in a castle, etc., etc.

Also, one branch of mythology potrayed werewolves as being natures defenders against the undead abominations that are vampires.

And since I brought up AQ, Werepyre or Dracopyre are even better choices.

Wraithy
2009-06-12, 06:45 AM
Werewolf in a heartbeat. Vampires are just so angsty.

"Oh! My poor tortured soul!" or: "Get the hell out of my woods!" I know which I'd prefer.

Also: I like that Werewolves have their origins in proto-LSD from badly kept grains. Makes them sound more fun.

Fan
2009-06-12, 06:50 AM
Werewolf in a heartbeat. Vampires are just so angsty.

"Oh! My poor tortured soul!" or: "Get the hell out of my woods!" I know which I'd prefer.

Also: I like that Werewolves have their origins in proto-LSD from badly kept grains. Makes them sound more fun.

Obviously your looking at the wrong vampires.
The ones I know are less "Oh! My corrupted mortality, angst angst angst!":smallfrown:, and more "Squeal like a animal, while I tear you limb from limb, and drink the blood from your mutilated carcass!:smallfurious:

Avilan the Grey
2009-06-12, 06:56 AM
Werewolf, Underworld style or classic french mythology Loup-du-mal style.

Closet_Skeleton
2009-06-12, 06:58 AM

You mean "you like the idea that...", any so called scientific basis behind myths is likely to be no more than a single scientists pet theory, unverifiable and incredibly unlikely to be true.

Wraithy
2009-06-12, 07:06 AM
Yeah, true that.
You've also just reminded me of when a moron I know tried to claim that all of Earth's heat comes from the oceans.

As for my view of Vampires; well, ever since a friend of mine ran the Eberron campaign 'whispers of the Vampire's blade' I just haven't been able to see them any other way. Illogical yes, but I'll still never be able to see them as anything else (it even managed to shine through in Hellsing for me, that's how badly scarred I am).

Fan
2009-06-12, 07:08 AM
Yeah, true that.
You've also just reminded me of when a moron I know tried to claim that all of Earth's heat comes from the oceans.

As for my view of Vampires; well, ever since a friend of mine ran the Eberron campaign 'whispers of the Vampire's blade' I just haven't been able to see them any other way. Illogical yes, but I'll still never be able to see them as anything else (it even managed to shine through in Hellsing for me, that's how badly scarred I am).

You poor man, even something as utterly brutal as Hellsing where limb removal, and torture is common place, couldn't help your view. I now understand your prefference of were wolves entirely, but I have one request... Could you please hit the man who ran that upside the head? For me?:smallsmile:

Primal Fury
2009-06-12, 10:00 AM
Obviously your looking at the wrong vampires.
The ones I know are less "Oh! My corrupted mortality, angst angst angst!":smallfrown:, and more "Squeal like a animal, while I tear you limb from limb, and drink the blood from your mutilated carcass!:smallfurious:

Hm. That's basically the same idea behind werewolves, only you'd replace "drink the blood from" with "eat."

Joran
2009-06-12, 11:09 AM
In the "Underworld" setting, werewolves used to be slaves to vampires but are now free to do as they wish, seem to be immortal, have complete control of their shapeshifting and themselves. So I would choose werewolf here.

Power wise, yes. However, in the "Underworld" setting, prior to Kate Beckinsale murdering everyone, I'd prefer to be a Vampire. The Vampires form covens and are basically aristocracy, holding fancy parties and generally having a good time. They're also vastly more organized than the werewolves and are better armed. Werewolves on the other hand seem to be much less organized, at each other's throats, and living in a sewer. Also, it seems these vampires don't really lose all of their morality when they get turned.

KnightDisciple
2009-06-12, 11:12 AM
Power wise, yes. However, in the "Underworld" setting, prior to Kate Beckinsale murdering everyone, I'd prefer to be a Vampire. The Vampires form covens and are basically aristocracy, holding fancy parties and generally having a good time. They're also vastly more organized than the werewolves and are better armed. Werewolves on the other hand seem to be much less organized, at each other's throats, and living in a sewer. Also, it seems these vampires don't really use all of their morality when they get turned.

The lycans live in a sewer because they're hunted by the vampires.

Tempest Fennac
2009-06-12, 11:20 AM
I'd pick Werewolf over Vampire due to hating the idea of being immportal in addition to wishing I could shape-shift in real life (I'd ideally be able to use my half/full wolf forms whenever I wanted but shifting occasionally would still be better then being stuck as a human all the time).

Ganurath
2009-06-12, 11:24 AM
The lycans live in a sewer because they're hunted by the vampires.Well, partly that. Another part is that they wanted to hide their true numbers for when they struck back in force.

Joran
2009-06-12, 11:26 AM
The lycans live in a sewer because they're hunted by the vampires.

Yup, because the vampires are much better organized and have better guns. The Lycans seem more bestial and chaotic. In this case, I'd rather be the vampire, sipping blood out of a wine glass in my mansion, than fighting over scraps in the sewer.

There weren't any Lycans in the second movie, so it's hard to see the effects of Kate Beckinsale destroying the status quo.

KnightDisciple
2009-06-12, 11:30 AM
Yup, because the vampires are much better organized and have better guns. The Lycans seem more bestial and chaotic. In this case, I'd rather be the vampire, sipping blood out of a wine glass in my mansion, than fighting over scraps in the sewer.

There weren't any Lycans in the second movie, so it's hard to see the effects of Kate Beckinsale destroying the status quo.

Because they started off as freed slaves, and were hunted ever since. They never had the chance to achieve what the vampires did.

Ganurath
2009-06-12, 11:31 AM
There weren't any Lycans in the second movie, so it's hard to see the effects of Kate Beckinsale destroying the status quo.What are you talking about? The second movie was a prequel depicting the rebellion of the lycans.

Joran
2009-06-12, 11:33 AM
What are you talking about? The second movie was a prequel depicting the rebellion of the lycans.

Underworld: Evolution was about the original vampire, the original werewolf, and the original immortal human; I don't remember seeing any werewolves outside of William, the original one. I never saw Rise of the Lycans, but it's on my Netflix queue.

Because they started off as freed slaves, and were hunted ever since. They never had the chance to achieve what the vampires did.

And that's why I'd rather be a vampire in that universe.

MissK
2009-06-12, 12:00 PM
To dart back in and clarify my position - as others have said, I prefer werewolves because they are alive. At their mythological roots, vampires are ambulatory corpses. Plus, as a werewolf, you are normal 3/4 of the time. You don't HAVE to kill your loved ones - or any humans - if you take adequate precautions (like going out into a wilderness, locking yourself in the basement, etc.).

I think it's also a control/loss of control issue. Werewolves lose control of their behavior and become primal and animalistic - vampires are at least mostly in control. If you like the idea of letting go sometimes, werewolves are probably more appealing than vamps.

And does anyone else think Bella should have chosen the werewolf guy? Cause I totally do. Even though her best choice is probably "move back to Phoenix, leave this crazy **** behind."

Green Bean
2009-06-12, 12:36 PM
Werewolves all the way. The vampire myths have gone too soft and scattered. All the different vampire portrays are different, even with the basics. They drink blood, they don't drink blood, they have to kill to feed, they don't, sunlight's bad, sunlight's sparkly. With werewolves, you know where you stand; which is as far away as possible during the full moon.

Besides, being alive instead of a horrific sin against the natural order is always nice.

Nameless
2009-06-12, 12:41 PM
sunlight's sparkly

Hey hey HEY! Twilight Vampires don't count!

:smalltongue:

Anyway, Vampires for me.

Roupe
2009-06-12, 12:44 PM
I would pick vampire, Flying, almost immortal, Seductive.

chiasaur11
2009-06-12, 12:48 PM
Werewolves all the way. The vampire myths have gone too soft and scattered. All the different vampire portrays are different, even with the basics. They drink blood, they don't drink blood, they have to kill to feed, they don't, sunlight's bad, sunlight's sparkly. With werewolves, you know where you stand; which is as far away as possible during the full moon.

Besides, being alive instead of a horrific sin against the natural order is always nice.

Well, lets be honest here. "Horrific sin against the natural order" describes both options fairly well.

KnightDisciple
2009-06-12, 12:54 PM
Well, lets be honest here. "Horrific sin against the natural order" describes both options fairly well.

Not if you're a nWoD werewolf. Then you're part of the natural order. :smallbiggrin:

Yeah, they're probably my favorite interpretation. Why do you ask? :smallsigh:

Nameless
2009-06-12, 12:57 PM
At least with Vampires, you don't expect it.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_QQwhzLvDiRU/SaEmHU42zcI/AAAAAAAAAGw/-gw-yWUkIAk/s400/vampire+1.jpg

:smallamused:

Neko Toast
2009-06-12, 01:13 PM
I definitely go with werewolf. But when I say werewolf, I mean 'free-will' werewolves, or WoD werewolves. I quite dislike the stereotypical transform-at-full-moon werewolves, thanks to Harry Potter. >_>

Green Bean
2009-06-12, 01:25 PM

Nah, there's a difference. Vampires are undead; they have left the mortal coil behind and must consume blood to sustain their blasphemous unlife in the face of nature's will. Werewolves, on the other hand, are people. People under a curse, but people nonetheless.

hamishspence
2009-06-12, 01:31 PM
What about the "spell" werewolves of possibly real court cases? Men who confessed to putting on a wolfskin belt, using magic to turn into a wolf, and committing all kind of crimes in alternate form?

I remember reading quite a bit about these. the historical ones were men with delusions, but people believed them at the time.

I think there is something in Viking legend about these sort of werewolves as well.

Lord Seth
2009-06-12, 01:33 PM
Werewolves all the way. The vampire myths have gone too soft and scattered. All the different vampire portrays are different, even with the basics. They drink blood, they don't drink blood, they have to kill to feed, they don't, sunlight's bad, sunlight's sparkly. With werewolves, you know where you stand; which is as far away as possible during the full moon.Nope. There are lots of werewolf variations also. As a few...
1) You turn into a wolf on the full moon with no control.
2) You can change forms at any time, with the moon immaterial. You keep control at all times.
3) You can change at any time (with control) EXCEPT for full moons where you change automatically. Whether you keep control at that point or not varies.
4) Who says it's just the full moon, rather than also the night before or after? (see: Buffy the Vampire Slayer)
5) Then there are werewolves who don't have it as an innate ability, and instead use some kind of talisman or werewolf skin to make it work.

That's just a few. Then you get into questions about whether you get any kind of benefits while in human form, e.g. especially strong healing. And whether you turn into a normal wolf or if you get super-strength and near-invulnerability while you're in that form. And of course then there's the question of what kind of effect silver has on you. While I'd say there are probably more vampire variations, werewolves are nowhere short in their variations either.

Besides, being alive instead of a horrific sin against the natural order is always nice.Well of course, a vampire isn't necessarily "dead", depending on which kind of vampire we're talking about...

Until I get a better idea of what kind of werewolf and what kind of vampire we're comparing, it's impossible to decide either way.

Green Bean
2009-06-12, 01:42 PM
Nope. There are lots of werewolf variations also. As a few...
1) You turn into a wolf on the full moon with no control.
2) You can change forms at any time, with the moon immaterial. You keep control at all times.
3) You can change at any time (with control) EXCEPT for full moons where you change automatically. Whether you keep control at that point or not varies.
4) Who says it's just the full moon, rather than also the night before or after? (see: Buffy the Vampire Slayer)
5) Then there are werewolves who don't have it as an innate ability, and instead use some kind of talisman or werewolf skin to make it work.

That's just a few. Then you get into questions about whether you get any kind of benefits while in human form, e.g. especially strong healing. And whether you turn into a normal wolf or if you get super-strength and near-invulnerability while you're in that form. And of course then there's the question of what kind of effect silver has on you. While I'd say there are probably more vampire variations, werewolves are nowhere short in their variations either.

You make some good points. I personally feel there are fewer variations on werewolves because they have fewer 'powers'. Regardless of type, with werewolves you generally get a mix of increased speed, strength, shapeshifting (voluntary or otherwise). With vampires, there's the possibility of super-strength, speed, teleportation, mental powers, weather control, enhanced senses, a hundred different potential vulnerabilities, etc.

Until I get a better idea of what kind of werewolf and what kind of vampire we're comparing, it's impossible to decide either way.

Well, this is a 'who do you like more' competition; you can pick your favourite portrayal of each, or use whatever unconscious gestalt of each legend exists in your brain. :smallbiggrin:

chiasaur11
2009-06-12, 01:55 PM
Then whichever one is just another name for cyborg.

Robot bits are way better than undead bloodlust. For example, most werewolves?

No chaingun arm.

Kris Strife
2009-06-12, 02:03 PM

No chaingun arm.

Bah, double over the shoulder is a much better location than the arms. Otherwise, they usually loose at least some manual dexterity. And you can't hug your children with chaingun arms.

chiasaur11
2009-06-12, 02:08 PM
Bah, double over the shoulder is a much better location than the arms. Otherwise, they usually loose at least some manual dexterity. And you can't hug your children with chaingun arms.

Yeah, Warbot in Accounting made that one all too clear.

Still, swappable chaingun arms?

Boss. Also, chainsaw arms are a bit of a must, at least as an option.

Warpfire
2009-06-12, 02:11 PM
Not if you're a nWoD werewolf. Then you're part of the natural order. :smallbiggrin:

I think the spirit world would disagree with you on that point. :smalltongue: Which is why being nWoD werewolf isn't as great a deal as it first appears: it's pretty much your job to police a bunch of people that hate your guts.

And that's not even taking into account the Pure.

Still, they are pretty awesome guys. Wish I could play a Werewolf game...

chiasaur11
2009-06-12, 03:06 PM
You know, there's one good point left unmentioned.

Werewolf Bar Mitzvahs.

They are spooky and scary, but all Vampires have is bat mitzvahs.

Closet_Skeleton
2009-06-12, 05:28 PM
What about the "spell" werewolves of possibly real court cases? Men who confessed to putting on a wolfskin belt, using magic to turn into a wolf, and committing all kind of crimes in alternate form?

Not really any differant from the "witch trials" which happened in real life. Mainy folklore vampires are undead witches, so sometimes there can be no differance between a vampire and a werewolf at all.

Incidently, there were plenty of "vampirism" trials in real life as well, but they were a lot simpler since the defendant was dead.

Ravens_cry
2009-06-13, 08:50 PM
If I was a were-creature, I would want to be something else besides a bog-standard werewolf. Perhaps a cobra, with a hybrid form that looks like a Naga. That would rock some righteous ass. I would choose vampire, but having to give extreme hickies to 'live' sounds not my style. And getting blood stains out of clothes is always a hassle.

Dienekes
2009-06-14, 06:15 PM
Werewolf. Partially because I like wolves, but mostly for anyone who read Dracula it rather specifically states that most of his powers come from his sorcerer-ness and not his vampirism. And because I detest these new vampires that keep cropping around with their angst and such, while werewolves are (almost) never as annoying.

Collin152
2009-06-14, 06:55 PM
Vampire.
Why?
I'd like the choice between 'Warmly invite my guest into my parlour before pinning them against a wall, slowly leaking their blood down my throat as they scream' and 'Shriek at the skies and carve a bloody swathe through humanity' rather than being forced into being a mindless monster.

And only vampires get to cry "WRYYYYYYYYYYYY!"

shadowxknight
2009-06-14, 07:33 PM
I like Vampires because they are subtle, and can mostly camouflage in human society at night until they need to strike.

I guess you could argue that werewolves are normal humans most of the time, but that also means that have no powers.

Teln
2009-06-15, 02:59 PM
Fur and claws all the way.

Zaphrasz
2009-06-16, 10:11 PM
So, these are my choices?

Vampire, a monster with an insatiable appetite for blood that will torment him for all of his eternal life. He gets some neat abilities, like turning into mist, and is generally known for being quite the lady's man. Still, I've seen enough instances in fiction of eternal life ending very, very badly. This, to me, is the biggest drawback, unlike seemingly everyone else in favor of vampirism. Vampires become something of a slave to their own desires, the need for blood, the angst that comes with a hopeless existence, it seems like such a horrible existence.

Lycanthropy also sucks, but less so. Some of the time, you become an uncontrollable monster who exists solely to terrorize and scream blood fury. It's temporary though, unlike the vampire's curse, which is constant and will continue on forever. It also seems to be that there is a possibility of such liberation as a werewolf. Haven't you ever just wanted to be able to let loose, and break free of society? It has a wild, primal attraction to it. Nothing is complicated, no worrying about tomorrow, the past means nothing, you just live for the moment. Vampires are enslaved by their cravings, werewolves are freed by them. Granted, when it's over, you need to deal with whatever you did, but still.

Krazddndfreek
2009-06-16, 10:13 PM
I wanna say Werewolf so badly simply because they don't seem to be getting enough love but, I have to say I'd be a vampire. 'nuff said

Krytha
2009-06-16, 11:45 PM
Well since people are picking the edition of vampire/werewolf, I'd pick a werewolf from the White Wolf Apocalypse series. They were pretty cool.

ghost_warlock
2009-06-17, 01:07 AM

No chaingun arm.

Did you know that, in White Wolf's World of Darkness, there was a werewolf that got captured and experimented on by technomancers and was subsequently turned into the werewolf equivalent of an android? He eventually escaped and massacred his captors, of course. He was called 'Teeth of Titanium' when re-adopted into the werewolf tribes. His human form(s) were normal, but his hybrid and wolf form(s) were all freaked out robotics. Truly badass if you're into that sort of thing.

As for the OT: I'd much rather go with the werewolf camp; primal, ferocious, shapeshifting, and still having a pulse.

Furthermore, vampires may have Hellsing/Alucard but, when you think about it, isn't The Hulk pretty much a werewolf with a cosmetic spin?

Tempest Fennac
2009-06-17, 01:12 AM
The only real issue I'd have if I was a werewolf who could shift whenever I wanted is that I'd probably want to stay in my hybrid form all the time, which would probably cause a lot of problems if I left the house.:smallfrown:

Berserk Monk
2009-06-17, 11:09 AM
I prefer vampires, even after what Twilight did to them.

Falconer
2009-06-17, 11:57 AM
Hmm...a tough question.

Here are what I consider the "archetypical" vampires and werewolves, as I've always known them. This is utterly without regard to anything Hellsing, Twilight, or any other werewolf/vampire thing says.

Vampires
Method of Creation: Created by another vampire. May also rise from the grave if the person was just THAT nasty.

Pros

-Can only be killed by (a) decapitation, (b) immolation, or (c) WOODEN stake through the heart
-Stylish as hell
-Mind Control powers
-Able to turn into a bat (or possibly a swarm of bats)
-Possibly able to turn into a wolf (a normal one)
-Able to turn into a mist
-Immortality

Cons

-Repelled by garlic
-Repelled by holy symbols (typically, though not necessarily only, Christian ones)
-Has some manner of weakness in sunlight (ranges from catching on fire to simply being unable to use powers)
-Must sleep in a coffin (with soil from their original grave)
-Unusually pasty
-Required to drink blood at regular intervals (preferably human)

Werewolves
Method of Creation: Bite of another werewolf, or a sorcerous pact with evil spirits

Pros
-Can only be killed through (a) decapitation, (b) wounding with a silver weapon, or (c) fire
-Some degree of longevity
-Ability to shapeshift at will (only if sorcerous werewolf)
-Some manner of affinity with the family Canidae
-Regeneration

Con
-Turn into a mindless , monstrous, killing-machine wolf when the moon is full
-Contact with silver is harmful, or at least very painful
-Depending on whether or not an evil pact was made, may be damned to the pits of hell for all eternity

But when in doubt...go for the werepire.

I've also read in several places that people who were werewolves in life rise again after death as vampires. So...yeah.

chiasaur11
2009-06-17, 01:09 PM
From what I've read, fire works fine on Vampires too.

So, that covers vampires, zombies, werewolves, the things, mummies, Frankensteins, and Chrysalids.

Fire does solve every problem!