PDA

View Full Version : Iron Man 2 - I'd rather see spandex and purple capes!

Mordar
2009-06-11, 04:28 PM
Hi all –

I saw this (http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/access-hollywood-rourke-iron-man.html) horrid, depressing and pleasant memory erasing picture online today and thought I’d share it with you all (‘cause it’s a well known fact that sharing pain with hundreds of anonymous internet readers diffuses the suffering in an amount proportional to that number).

I know Mickey Rourke is a current “It Boy” thanks to the Wrestler, particularly for any director looking to add edgy or indie cred to their film…but really? I’m not sure what’s going to be worse. Will it be the inevitably bad Russian accent (thanks to the background rewrite*), the Road-Warrior-Meets-Captain-Junkyard costume or the producers, writers and/or directors trying to squash their own films with character creep?**

On the upside, I was worried when I heard Jon Favreau intended to “push the envelope” with the first film, thinking he was going to inflict his own perspective on a well-established character that didn’t belong to him. I did, however, like the movie and particularly the portrayal of Stark. So I’m hoping I get to be pleasantly surprised and relieved this time too…even if there are going to be *two* bad Russian accents.

- M

* - Whiplash/Blacklash isn’t supposed to be Russian, but I understand not wanting to have yet another Stark employee turn out to be a bad guy, so I guess I can see the change. The rumors about Crimson Dynamo being slated to be the bad guy way back when might have been based on knowing that Rourke was playing a Russian character, and while I would prefer this, I think, I also understand not wanting to see Iron Man vs. Iron Monger redux.

** - We know for certain that we’ll have Iron Man, Whiplash and Black Widow…who else will come along for the ride? I’ve started to wonder why producers, directors and/or writers haven’t caught on to the trend wherein introducing too many “previously established” characters tends to decrease the appeal/success of the characters and the film. See, for instance, the Batman franchise part one…first we get Bats and Joker, a huge hit. Then Bats, Penguin and Catwoman…a huge hit due in part to fanboy love of Michelle as Catwoman. Now, perhaps someone saw the improvement from 1 to 2 as being due to the addition of Catwoman as a third character. If 3 is good, 4 must be better, right? So then we get Bats, Robin, Two-Face and Riddler. Not so good. Follow that with Bats, Robin, Batgirl, Poison Ivy, Freeze *and* Bane and now its just plain bad. It happened in Spiderman 3 as well…Spidey + Goblin + Sandman + Venom (and you can even toss in Angtsy Blacksuit Spidey and Good Goblin as addition characters if you want to stretch things)

chiasaur11
2009-06-11, 04:33 PM
EH, Dark Knight had Joker and Two Face, and that worked out.

Just wish the costume wasn't so dumb looking.

Mando Knight
2009-06-11, 04:35 PM
EH, Dark Knight had Joker and Two Face, and that worked out.

Just wish the costume wasn't so dumb looking.
I think it's supposed to be a "prototype" suit, like the screenshots of Tony wearing just the boots or just the gauntlet.

KnightDisciple
2009-06-11, 04:41 PM
Yeah. Notice his orange prison type pants?

Maybe he's breaking out of jail in that shot; later on we might see a more streamlined suit.

Beyond that, I don't mind if there isn't spandex. I kind of like a more realistic look, even if it's just some combat fatigues and kevlar underneath your whip harness or some such.

Innis Cabal
2009-06-11, 04:51 PM
Yeah. Notice his orange prison type pants?

Maybe he's breaking out of jail in that shot; later on we might see a more streamlined suit.

Beyond that, I don't mind if there isn't spandex. I kind of like a more realistic look, even if it's just some combat fatigues and kevlar underneath your whip harness or some such.

Pretty much this. Sick of silly costums and bat nipples

KnightDisciple
2009-06-11, 05:02 PM
Pretty much this. Sick of silly costums and bat nipples

*Falls to knees, shaking clenched fists at the sky*

SCHUMACHER!!!!!!!

Closet_Skeleton
2009-06-11, 05:09 PM
That doesn't look that bad.

Linkavitch
2009-06-11, 05:19 PM
Okay, for some reason, the link is just taking me to a http.com, and it has a bunch of links on it, and no pictures. Is there something wrong?

Haven
2009-06-11, 05:22 PM
The link in your post needs to be http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/access-hollywood-rourke-iron-man.html, btw.

Anyway, I don't mind the look, and it does seem like a prototype. Though I guess it could be an "evil opposites theme", a man who fights in an iron suit versus a man who is almost naked.

Scarlet Johannsen as Black Widow meets with cautious optimism from me, though hopefully she'll dye her hair at least.

I read somewhere that Samuel L Jackson is going to get more screentime (granted, it would be hard to give him less) and I hope that turns out to be true.

FoE
2009-06-11, 05:46 PM
*Falls to knees, shaking clenched fists at the sky*

SCHUMACHER!!!!!!!

Joel Schumacher is history's greatest monster!

Eh, I don't think Mickey looks too bad. Then again, I haven't a damn clue who Whiplash is.

Not one of Iron Man's more notable foes, I take it.

The Glyphstone
2009-06-11, 06:04 PM
No Mandarin? What's wrong with these people?

EvilDMMk3
2009-06-11, 06:05 PM
No Mandarin? What's wrong with these people?An acute phobia of the PC lobby I'm guessing, although he could be a surprise they are trying to keep.

KnightDisciple
2009-06-11, 06:06 PM
No Mandarin? What's wrong with these people?

He might make a cameo appearance near the end.

My money's on the Mandarin as a movie 3 villain; build anticipation and all that.

Turraken
2009-06-11, 06:24 PM
Wow. I was expecting, if not Mandarin, at least the Crimson Dynamo.

Anyway, on Whiplash I'm gonna have to echo the above in that that photo really just looks like a prototype exoskeleton than a proper suit.

If it is the full suit though, could be quite effective. I loved the contrast between the ultra-sleek Iron Man and the heavy industrial look of Iron Monger, and they may be trying to pull that off again.

With Whiplash looking even less advanced

Starscream
2009-06-11, 06:58 PM
I loved the first film, but I'm a bit apprehensive about this one. I know Iron Man doesn't exactly have the world's greatest Rogue's Gallery, but couldn't we at least get MODOK or Radioactive Man or the Grey Gargoyle?

Heck, I'd have settled for Fin Fang Foom before choosing Whiplash. Guys's a loser. Got killed by Tony's armor when it became sentient. Yeah, that's right, the costume itself killed him.

chiasaur11
2009-06-11, 07:09 PM
I loved the first film, but I'm a bit apprehensive about this one. I know Iron Man doesn't exactly have the world's greatest Rogue's Gallery, but couldn't we at least get MODOK or Radioactive Man or the Grey Gargoyle?

Heck, I'd have settled for Fin Fang Foom before choosing Whiplash. Guys's a loser. Got killed by Tony's armor when it became sentient. Yeah, that's right, the costume itself killed him.

Fin Fang Foom is awesome. He's a super intelligent ancient alien dragon in purple pants.

I mean, read Nextwave and Fin Fang Four, and if you don't think, by the end of one or the other that Lord Foom should be in more comics, well, I can't agree with you.

Reverent-One
2009-06-11, 07:15 PM

Well, Justin Hammer is also going to be in it, or so I hear, so whiplash could just be hired muscle for him and not be the main baddie.

Mordar
2009-06-11, 10:31 PM
Well, Justin Hammer is also going to be in it, or so I hear, so whiplash could just be hired muscle for him and not be the main baddie.

Could well be...Whip/Blacklash, Melter and Blizzard (oh, and Whirlwind!) all served as hired semi-super-thugs for the organized crime types. But for the record, I don't mind Whiplash (or any of the others) as the villian(s). Though it might violate my point about too many main characters, I wouldn't mind seeing those first three as the goons for someone like Hammer (as long as we didn't have to see *too* much backstory on them).

Regarding the points from Mando Knight, KnightDisciple...I wondered for quite a while if the people in the background were supposed to be extras in the shot or just people checking out the filming and couldn't decide. I know Whiplash was a tech wiz and was looking forward to the cybernetic powerwhips...but I wasn't looking for another chest-plate "I stole Tony's power coil" bit.

I did think that the bottoms looked very much like prison wear...but I guess a lot depends on what the crowd is (extras or people watching a movie be made) and if they're doing a story wherein the bad guy's gear is kept in the special prison from which he escapes.

However, given the general tone of the article I think we'll see a lot of Rourke near-bare-chested (the commentary on the tattoo work being in Russian).

As far as the batnipples and such go...I didn't love or hate those costumes...but I did kind of like the X-men leather stuff, so I certainly don't mind the "realistic" costumes and the fun-poking at the spandex. The point of the title was simply that I would have preferred the cheesey 80s era spandex and cape to the abomination I saw in the sneak peek shot.

Regarding Mandarin...I suspect it's a combo of the aforementioned "PC" thing and the fact that he was the villian in the (pretty good) animated movie.

- M

Rutskarn
2009-06-11, 10:33 PM
An acute phobia of the PC lobby I'm guessing, although he could be a surprise they are trying to keep.

I dunno if reacting badly to The Mandarin is "PC", per se. It's really more "civilized", or "respecting of the basic dignity of mankind".

Verruckt
2009-06-11, 10:35 PM
Fin Fang Foom is awesome. He's a super intelligent ancient alien dragon in purple pants.

I mean, read Nextwave and Fin Fang Four, and if you don't think, by the end of one or the other that Lord Foom should be in more comics, well, I can't agree with you.

My robot brain needs alcohol, oh, and I want to die.

I'm fairly ambivalent towards the picture, Mickey Rourke has always been awesome and I've not even seen The Wrestler yet. Couple that with the fact that I know next to nothing about Shellhead's personal rogues gallery and I really don't care who they pit him up against so long as it remains as enjoyable as the first one.

Plus it's Rourke and Downey Jr. on the same screen, it's like career resurrection theater.

Just one question, are there any villains that Iron Man fights that don't use Arc Reactor tech?

KnightDisciple
2009-06-11, 10:36 PM
I don't think the picture shows an "abomination". Spandex would have been more of an abomination.

And the leather from X-men worked because it looked like it offered some actual protection.

Mordar
2009-06-11, 10:44 PM
Just one question, are there any villains that Iron Man fights that don't use Arc Reactor tech?

Yup...Whiplash :)

- M

KnightDisciple
2009-06-11, 10:50 PM

Before the movie? All of them. Arc Reactors are a totally new thing. There were various powered armors (which even Whiplash used once or twice), but not some "arc reactor" that magically powered everyone.

EvilDMMk3
2009-06-12, 01:56 AM
I dunno if reacting badly to The Mandarin is "PC", per se. It's really more "civilized", or "respecting of the basic dignity of mankind".No matter how civilised, he would run the risk of being "The Yellow Peril"

Ichneumon
2009-06-12, 02:09 AM
Why do supervillains magically apear to be in theme with the superhero? Somehow I find it offputing that Iron Man will fight more people with Iron suits.

FoE
2009-06-12, 02:37 AM
TV Tropes calls it the Thematic Rogue's Gallery. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ThematicRoguesGallery)

Oslecamo
2009-06-12, 04:36 AM
Why do supervillains magically apear to be in theme with the superhero? Somehow I find it offputing that Iron Man will fight more people with Iron suits.

Because Tony Starck is Iron Man for the excitement, so he lets his secret armor technology slip away in the hands of demented people so others will build armors of their own and then Iron Man can crush them for the lulz.

This is, blowing up terrorrists is fun and stuff, but if you blow too much of them then people will stop buying top grade , military equipment fom your super enterprise and you'll go banckrupt.

Cheesegear
2009-06-12, 05:04 AM
I have high hopes for War Machine making an appearance.

Haven
2009-06-12, 07:13 AM
I dunno if reacting badly to The Mandarin is "PC", per se. It's really more "civilized", or "respecting of the basic dignity of mankind".

Quoted for truth.

Also, I don't really think either Fin Fang Foom or Mandarin would work too well in the real-life-but-with-arc-reactors milieu the first Iron Man established.

Avilan the Grey
2009-06-12, 07:29 AM

Ask Stan Lee. Or anyone. It's just one of those things, like the most common superpower.

(Of course if you believe the "sometime in the future" story of Old Man Logan that will not be the case for long... (shudder)).

Closet_Skeleton
2009-06-12, 09:21 AM
Because Tony Starck is Iron Man for the excitement, so he lets his secret armor technology slip away in the hands of demented people so others will build armors of their own and then Iron Man can crush them for the lulz.

Or he feels responsibility when people use his technology to do bad things so he immediately tries to take out any villain he sees as similar to him.

Mando Knight
2009-06-12, 10:10 AM
Or he feels responsibility when people use his technology to do bad things so he immediately tries to take out any villain he sees as similar to him.

Huh. That sounds familiar... I think I've heard this argument before...

...OH WAIT (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armor_Wars).

Erts
2009-06-13, 11:16 AM
This means Whiplash won't be in the avengers movie, or black widow.

Well, maybe black widow.

I think its a good costume, as long as later it looks better, and he puts on a shirt.

Oslecamo
2009-06-13, 03:00 PM

Hmm, now that you mention it, it would be really bad publicity for Starck enterprises if there are villains out there openly using his toys, so Iron Man has there a really good and logic reason to hunt down any similar vilains. It just isn't good for business:smalltongue:

AstralFire
2009-06-13, 03:28 PM

That's easy.

There's Only One Unicorn, Damnit: A trope? I don't know. I don't care. Unicorn meaning a fantastic element of a mostly reality-grounded fictional universe that must be accepted at face value in order for the rest to work. Fewer and subtler the unicorns area, the more easily the audience can accept them. You throw magic into the tech mix, people wonder why they don't see magic more elsewhere.

Also, when both are running on the same general types of abilities, they're more likely to have even matches; when you start mixing power sources (Tech, Magic, Training, Mutation to borrow my favorites from City of Heroes) you're more likely to end up with asymmetric fighting or with power creep. (See: How every hero ever just happens to have amazing willpower and training to fight telepathic tricks.)

I'm personally fine with no-shows from the Mandarin. I don't find his concept to be inextricably tied with being offensive, but I do think he's pretty lame and Iron Man's strength has never been in his rogues gallery.

Prime32
2009-06-13, 03:50 PM
It is a trope. Thematic Rogues Gallery (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ThematicRoguesGallery).

See also Reed Richards Is Useless (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ReedRichardsIsUseless).

AstralFire
2009-06-13, 04:18 PM
...*facepalm*

I was referring to my statement that there is only one unicorn, which was a phrase I was using to explain the 'Thematic Rogues Gallery'.

God, I hate that stupid website.

Prime32
2009-06-13, 04:44 PM
God, I hate that stupid website.
I love that stupid website. :smallbiggrin:

The Glyphstone
2009-06-13, 06:48 PM
It looks like Our Milage May Vary (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/YourMileageMayVary?from=Main.YourMilageMayVary):sm allbiggrin:.

FoE
2009-06-13, 07:07 PM
Could it be that AstralFire has spent too much time on an Archive Binge (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ArchiveBinge)?

Or maybe it's a case of Hype Backlash (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HypeBacklash)?

Perhaps AstralFire is angry that TV Tropes Ruined His Life (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TVTropesWillRuinYourLife)?

AstralFire
2009-06-13, 07:12 PM
I have an odd fondness for discussions that don't need three hyperlinks back to a website for simple concepts like 'resonance' and 'parallelism'. The website is fine; could do without its ubiquity.

Starscream
2009-06-13, 11:32 PM
I like TVTropes, although there are parts of it that annoy me to no end.

The color scheme in the Darth and Sugar Wikis looks like something from "How not to make a website 101".

And a lot of the posters clearly don't bother to read the definition of the tropes before adding their own examples. And then instead of fixing it, other people simply put "Actually, this is more a case of trope Y than trope X" underneath, and then someone else will put "No, it's clearly trope Z". There are discussion pages for a reason!

But my big problem is that it is, indeed, ruining my life. I've actually used the phrase Lampshade Hanging in normal conversation and then had to explain what I was talking about.

Revlid
2009-06-14, 06:18 AM
I'm looking forward to Rourke as Whiplash - this is presumably a prototype of 'his' armour, set up by Hammer. Remember that he seems to be partially based on the Crimson Dynamo (but with less Cold-War mentality), so a full set of armour doesn't seem too farfetched.

Spandex and a purple cape? In fact, Spandex of any kind? Are you mad?

As for the Mandarin - I look forward to him. He's Stark's equal in almost every way and his superior in some. He doesn't have to use Alien technology, either (although that's certainly a possibility, having reverse-engineered tech from a UFO crash) - his rings could easily be just advanced concealed-weapons and computers. Avoiding the Yellow (http://www.leaderslair.com/marvelvillains/mandarin.jpg) Terror (http://media.photobucket.com/image/mandarin%20iron%20man%20preview/hollywoodsav1or/vlcsnap-4761471.jpg)implications are also simple, requiring little more than a costume (http://uk.media.comics.ign.com/media/142/14229184/img_5202404.html)change (http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/7044/551484-291046_58477_the_mandarin_super_super.jpg) (only pictures I could find).

Closet_Skeleton
2009-06-14, 07:57 AM
Seeing as how China's on the up industry wise (or was before everything started going to **** again), a yellow peril industrialist might be a decent modern villain.

Oslecamo
2009-06-14, 09:08 AM
Seeing as how China's on the up industry wise (or was before everything started going to **** again), a yellow peril industrialist might be a decent modern villain.

It was no coincidence that in the first Iron Man movie Starck gets kidnaped by middle east terrorrists instead of Vietnam soldiers as in the original story.

At the rate this is going, we'll probably see Red Dynamo on the movie after this one.

bosssmiley
2009-06-14, 09:52 AM

Oh no. It simply doesn't do to be insulting about ones' creditors. :smallwink:

And, speaking as a child of the Cold War: Titanium Man, or GTFO. :smallcool:

Nevrmore
2009-06-14, 10:43 AM
It looks like Our Milage May Vary (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/YourMileageMayVary?from=Main.YourMilageMayVary):sm allbiggrin:.
Ha ha! That guy doesn't like TV Tropes! And so you linked to TV Tropes!

LAUGH RIOT!

FoE
2009-06-14, 11:46 AM
Ha ha! That guy doesn't like TV Tropes! And so you linked to TV Tropes!

LAUGH RIOT!

Glad you thought it was funny, Nevrmore.

But enough about my comedic genius. Let's talk more about Iron Man, shall we?

As for the Mandarin - I look forward to him. He's Stark's equal in almost every way and his superior in some. He doesn't have to use Alien technology, either (although that's certainly a possibility, having reverse-engineered tech from a UFO crash) - his rings could easily be just advanced concealed-weapons and computers. Avoiding the Yellow (http://www.leaderslair.com/marvelvillains/mandarin.jpg) Terror (http://media.photobucket.com/image/mandarin%20iron%20man%20preview/hollywoodsav1or/vlcsnap-4761471.jpg)implications are also simple, requiring little more than a costume (http://uk.media.comics.ign.com/media/142/14229184/img_5202404.html)change (http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/7044/551484-291046_58477_the_mandarin_super_super.jpg) (only pictures I could find).

It could be just some generic alien tech as well.

chiasaur11
2009-06-14, 02:08 PM
Glad you thought it was funny, Nevrmore.

But enough about my comedic genius. Let's talk more about Iron Man, shall we?

It could be just some generic alien tech as well.

But then there's no tie to FIN FANG FOOM.

And we all love to hear about FIN FANG FOOM!

Wraithy
2009-06-14, 02:53 PM
So... anyone else going to have a hissy fit about the title of this thread?

Hissy fit:
ITS SPELT IRON NOT IORN! IRON! CAPS LOCK BLA BLA BLAAAA!!!!11ONE

Ah, much better.

As for the actual subject matter:

One more for the "transition suit" camp. Otherwise it would be the laziest costume design imaginable.

chiasaur11
2009-06-14, 02:58 PM

Hissy fit:

Ah, much better.

As for the actual subject matter:

One more for the "transition suit" camp. Otherwise it would be the laziest costume design imaginable.

Considered it.

Then decided against it. Thanks for covering it

Mr. Scaly
2009-06-14, 04:30 PM
Huh. Apart from the Mandarin I have no idea who any of Ironman's enemies are. I guess non-comic readers have an advantage then...they can't be disappointed when the best villains don't make an appearance.

Prime32
2009-06-14, 04:36 PM
Huh. Apart from the Mandarin I have no idea who any of Ironman's enemies are. I guess non-comic readers have an advantage then...they can't be disappointed when the best villains don't make an appearance.
If you don't know any Iron Man characters then watch this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EgdKjZNu1k&fmt=18).

While you're at it watch this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBbnT-cIDVM&fmt=18) too - it's cooler.

Closet_Skeleton
2009-06-14, 05:30 PM
If you don't know any Iron Man characters then watch this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EgdKjZNu1k&fmt=18).

While you're at it watch this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBbnT-cIDVM&fmt=18) too - it's cooler.

Hawkeye doesn't get credited on the first one :smallfurious:

I do remember them suddenly making the opening darker and edgier though. Even if it was mostly my dad who watched the show.

chiasaur11
2009-06-14, 05:38 PM

Aghhh!

MULLLEEEETTTTSSSS!

Mordar
2009-06-15, 12:46 PM
I'm looking forward to Rourke as Whiplash - this is presumably a prototype of 'his' armour, set up by Hammer. Remember that he seems to be partially based on the Crimson Dynamo (but with less Cold-War mentality), so a full set of armour doesn't seem too farfetched.

Spandex and a purple cape? In fact, Spandex of any kind? Are you mad?

It does seem possible, again given early rumors of Crimson Dynamo, that the Whiplash character will be an amalgam. I could easily see producers wanting to avoid having Stark fight another robo-suit just like his own again (making CD a less attractive option) while accepting that Whiplash as originally written wasn't enough of a dramatic threat (without other cronies like Melter and Blizzard) and coming to Whipcrimson Dynalash as a final conclusion.

[ASIDE: Okay, I must be old. Just had a flashback to ElectraWoman and Dynagirl]

Even with understanding the desire to combine CD/WL or just to power up Whiplash and not having the time or inclination to go into the ex-Stark-employee backstory...I still hate that picture. I hate it enough to brave the ridicule of spandex (would it be better if it were spandex and kevlar?) and bright colors.

Hissy fit:

Ah, much better.

You know, funny thing about that...normally I would be a reader that would be a little tweaked by a typo in the title (clearly not a spelling mistake but a typographical error).

Here's the funny part (to me, anyway) - it actually took me three tries to start this thread. I was writing it from work and the first effort timed out while I was distracted by legitimate work and the text vanished. I started up again and actually expanded the original...only to have a auto accident nearby interrupt the power to our complex (a hospital...emergency power is, of course, directed to the floors and wards, not the offices). So, even though I was using a word processor this time I hadn't done but 10 minutes or so of work, so hadn't saved the text. Finally, attempt 3 was completed in something of a rush as my patience had worn thin, I wanted to make my point and be done with it. Naturally, that's when errors occur. Thus I wonder...should I have simply skipped the whole darn thing...or should I have invented IORn Man, a hero fixated on measuring optical properties of materials?

Oh well...

- M

Mr. Scaly
2009-06-15, 03:05 PM

I completely forgot about that show. Wow, it's been a long time...

Wasn't there some cool looking dragon character with two robot copies of himself?

Prime32
2009-06-15, 03:15 PM
Wasn't there some cool looking dragon character with two robot copies of himself?Fin Fang Foom. And Mandarin had built the copies earlier as part of an attempt to trick him.