PDA

View Full Version : It was a harsh and stormy fight... [Creature]

Icewalker
2009-06-11, 06:11 PM
As I have commented in my last half dozen threads or so, I don't do enough small scale homebrew.

Luckily, school is now out, and I have some free time. So I can finish my class The Scholar. And my campaign, Sand and Sovereign. And my Worldsoul Rune set of casting classes. And my other campaign world, Sun and Sea. And my other individual adventure ideas. And my dnd 3.5 integrated naval combat system. And possibly my Bioshock and/or Steampunk new d% system.

...plus anything else I think up.

SO. Homebrew. Right.

Inspiration (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid#Applications_of_acids) (I was looking for an inspiration, I didn't run into one and decide to make this. So it's more developed than inspired, compared to some of my homebrew)
[hr]

Corroz Storm
Large Elemental (Chaotic)
HD 12d8+99 (153 HP)
Speed Fly (Perfect) 20 ft.
Init: +2
AC 16; touch 16; flat-footed 14
(-1 size, +2 Dex, +5 Deflection)
BAB/Grp +9/-
Attack Corrosive Touch +11 (4d6 Acid)
Full-Attack Corrosive Touch +11 (Acid)
Space 10 ft.; Reach 10 ft.
Special Attacks Corrosive Touch, Acidic Burst, Searing Bolt
Special Qualities Gaseous Body, DR 5/Magic, Immunity to Acid, Immunity to Sonic, Darkvision 60 ft., Elemental Traits
Saves Fort +12 Ref +13 Will +10
Abilities Str 12, Dex 14, Con 27, Int 17, Wis 22, Cha 21
Skills Concentration +23, Intimidate +22, Listen +21, Spot +21, Sense Motive +22
Feats Ability Focus (Corrosive Touch), Ability Focus (Acidic Burst), Lightning Reflexes, Weapon Finesse, Toughness
Environment Swamps
Organization Single, Acidic Hurricane (2-8)
Challenge Rating 11
Alignment Chaotic Neutral or Chaotic Evil
Advancement 13-18 (Large), 19-26 (Huge)

The small coagulation of clouds is hovering at ground level, gray with a deep green glow infusing it, shifting wildly like a thunderhead with a deep but sharp rumble. A small bolt of green lightning crackles over the surface as the clouds twist around the surface. You can see the occasional drop of acid falling from the creature, leaving small indentations in the ground below it.

Corrosive Touch (Ex): The touch of a Corroz Storm deals 4d6 points of acid damage. This damage is reduced by half on a successful DC 23 Fortitude save.

Acidic Burst (Ex): Once per hour, as a Standard action, a Corroz Storm can send a vicious burst of acidic vapor in front of it. All creatures in a 30 ft. cone in front of the Corroz Storm take 6d6 damage. This damage is reduced by half on a successful DC 23 Fortitude save.

Searing Bolt (Ex): Corroz Storms can also take control of the acidic lightning coursing over their surface. At will as a Full-round action, a Corroz Storm can sear a target with a bolt of this lightning. On a successful ranged touch attack, range 60 ft., the Corroz Storm deals 4d6 damage to the target, half lighting and half acid.

Gaseous Body (Ex): Corroz Storms are living clouds of air and acid. They gain a Deflection bonus to AC equal to their Charisma bonus and only take half damage from physical weapons.

Debihuman
2009-06-11, 11:57 PM
I didn't see this until recently.

First, the Bonus to AC should be listed as +5 Deflection not +5 Cha.

Second, what are the DCs of the Corrosive Touch and Acidic Touch based on? The DC should be 10+ 1/2 HD + ability modifier. I'm guessing STR but you didn't mention it.

If there is no save for Searing Bolt, you should state so; otherwise it looks like it was left off.

Why does it move so slowly? It can't go up very high if Acidic Burst only has a 30 ft. range.

Corrosive touch shouldn't be iterative. Monsters don't get iterative attacks with natural weapons. Also, damage should be 1+1/2 Str since it only has ONE natural weapon. (4d6+1).

I like the immunity to acid, but since it doesn't have any sonic attacks of its own, giving it total immunity to sonic attacks isn't really warranted. That's 7 special abilities and special attacks for a 12 hit die monster. It's a little excessive [I wasn't counting elemental traits as those are by definition necessary].

Lastly, even though Darkvision is listed under elemental traits, it's alway good form to list it separately in the special abilities.

Over all, this is a pretty good creature, even if I keep hearing "I'm Just a Little Black Rain Cloud" in my head.

Debby

Icewalker
2009-06-12, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the correction on the AC. The DCs are correct, and are based on Charisma (which is the standard for most abilities). Plus an extra 2 from the feats.

There isn't a save for Searing Bolt, I suppose that's worth clarifying. Also, I did in fact put in the Ability Focus feat for it before I put it together, so I'll fix that as well.

It's a storm cloud. It doesn't make much sense for it to move really fast, so slow was more fitting.

I feel like the iterative attacks thing is wrong, but I can't find any counter examples, so you may well be right. Most likely are. Fixing.

The damage is accurate, because it isn't a striking attack, it's a touch to deliver acid damage. No strength bonus.

As to the sonic damage, it just doesn't really make sense to damage a cloud with sound.

Ah, forgot to add the Darkvision. Thanks.

Thank you very much for all the help, definitely.

sigurd
2009-06-12, 12:03 PM
Extra points for such a terrible pun in the title.

Sigurd