PDA

View Full Version : From the Fires of the Forge (Warforged Feats, P.E.A.C.H.)

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-06-11, 09:43 PM
Adamant Reinforcement [Warforged]
Your entire body is reinforced with adamantine, rendering your almost indestructible.
Prerequisites: Adamantine Body, Improved Damage Reduction, Improved Fortification, Base Attack Bonus +10, Constitution 17
Benefit: You gain many of the qualities of an inanimate object. Any Damage Reduction (overcome by adamantine) you posses changes to an equal amount of Hardness. Additionally, you take half damage from ranged attacks (siege weapons and the like still do normal damage), as well as fire, and lightning attacks (before applying Hardness), and you take only one-quarter damage from cold attacks (before applying Hardness). Finally, you gain immunity to nonlethal damage.

Fire Within [Warforged]
Your body contains such a heat that flames do nothing but strengthen you.
Prerequisites: Furnace Forged, Base Fortitude save +8
Benefit: You gain immunity to fire. If you are subject to an attack that would deal fire damage, you instead regain 1 hit point per three points of damage the attack would normally deal (before applying fire resistance or Hardness). You get no saving throw against magical attacks that deal fire damage (although you do get saves against any other damage the attack might deal, if applicable).

Armored Inferno [Warforged]
Fire rushes out from between the metal plates of your body, immolating those who would try to bar your path.
Prerequisites: Fire Within, Furnace Forged, Base Fortitude save +8
Benefit: The fire damage dealt by your natural attacks increases from 1 point of damage to 2d6 points of damage. Any creature who grapples you, hits you with a nature weapon, or begins their turn within 5 feet takes 4d6 points of fire damage. Creatures killed by your aura of fire or your natural attacks are instantly reduced to ash as if by the disintegrate spell.

Soul of the Forge [Warforged]
Your animating force is itself a spirit of flame, which can outlast your physical shell.
Prerequisites: Armored Inferno, Diehard, Fire Within, Furnace Forged, Base Fortitude save +10
Benefit: When reduced to -10 Hit Points, you do not die. Instead, your elemental spirit breaks free, turning you into a being of pure flame. In this form, you lose all benefits from any Warforged feats you possess (except for Fire Within, Furnace Forged, and Armored Inferno), and the benefits of all magic items your body was wearing. Your Natural Armor Bonus changes to +3, your type changes to Elemental (fire, living construct), and you gain Cold Vulnerability. Additionally, you regain hit points sufficient to put you at half of your normal hit point total. Finally, all fire damage you deal through the Armored Inferno feat doubles (to 4d6 and 8d6, respectively).

You may remain in this form indefinitely, although if you are killed in Elemental form, you die normally. You may return to your normal form by spending an uninterrupted 24-hour period to reform your Warforged body.

Furnace Forged [Warforged]
The fires of the creation forge still burn in your body.
Benefit: You natural attacks deal an additional 1 point of fire damage. Additionally, you gain Fire Resistance 5.

Living Bastion [Warforged]
Your armor shrugs off blows like water, leaving you impervious to damage.
Prerequisites: Adamant Reinforcement, Adamantine Body, Improved Damage Reduction, Improved Fortification, Base Attack Bonus +15, Constitution 19
Benefit: Whenever a manufactured or improvised weapon (including magic weapons) strikes you, it must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + ½ your Character level + your Constitution modifier) or shatter instantly, dealing no damage. Additionally, any non-magical manufactured or improvised weapon that has its damage completely negated by your Hardness is treated as if it had failed this saving throw. In both cases, only the ammunition of a ranged weapon is destroyed: the weapon itself remains intact.

Superior Construction [Warforged]
You are the paragon of Warforged construction.
Prerequisites: 1st level only.
Benefit: You gain a number of special abilities based on your character level. See the table below for details.
Special: Your body draws ambient magic from the surrounding area to power itself, causing magic items you carry to cease functioning immediately. These items regain their functionality 1d4 rounds after you have put them down. Spells affecting you have their duration cut in half (to a minimum of 1 round). Finally, a Warforged with Superior Construction cannot take the Vow of Poverty feat, as the value of their body alone is sufficient to immediately disqualify them from the feat.

Table 1-1: Superior Construction Benefits
{table=head]Level|Benefits Gained

1st|+2 to Strength and Constitution, +1 Armor Bonus, Bonus Warforged Feat

2nd|Bonus Warforged Feat, Convert Energy

3rd|Construct Perfection I, Fast Healing 1

4th|+1 Enhancement Bonus to all attacks, Bonus Warforged Feat, Component

5th|+4 to Strength and Constitution, +2 Armor Bonus

6th|Bonus Warforged Feat, +1 Resistance Bonus to Saves

7th|Construct Perfection II, Fast Healing 2

8th|+2 Enhancement Bonus to all attacks, Bonus Warforged Feat, Component

9th|+3 Armor Bonus, DR 2/adamantine (stacks with existing Damage Reduction)

10th|+6 to Strength and Constitution, Bonus Warforged Feat

11th|Construct Perfection III, Fast Healing 3, +2 Resistance Bonus to Saves

12th|+3 Enhancement Bonus to all attacks, Bonus Warforged Feat, Component

13th|+4 Armor Bonus, DR 2/adamantine (stacks with existing Damage Reduction)

14th|Bonus Warforged Feat

15th|+8 to Strength and Constitution, Construct Perfection IV, Fast Healing 4

16th|+4 Enhancement Bonus to all attacks, Bonus Warforged Feat, Component

17th|+5 Armor Bonus, +3 Resistance Bonus to Saves, DR 6/adamantine

18th|Bonus Warforged Feat

19th|Construct Perfection V, Fast Healing 5

20th|+10 to Strength and Constutition +5 Enhancement Bonus to all attacks, Bonus Warforged Feat, Component[/table]

Convert Energy
At 2nd level, any time you successfully make a saving throw against a spell or spell-like ability (or a spell or spell-like ability fails to affect you due to any immunities you may possess), you regain hit points equal to twice the level of the spell (with a minimum of 1 in the case of 0th level spells).

Component
At 4th level (and every 4 levels afterwards), you may have 1 additional Warforged Component that functions even when you have it embedded into you.

Construct Perfection I
At 3rd level, you are no longer subject to nonlethal damage or extra damage from critical hits.

Construct Perfection II
At 7th level, you gain immunity to all mind-affecting spells and abilities (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects).

Construct Perfection III
At 11th level, you gain immunity to death effects and necromancy effects.

Construct Perfection IV
At 15th level, you are no longer subject to ability damage or ability drain.

Construct Perfection V
At 19th level, you gain immunity to any spell or spell-like ability that allows spell resistance, except those explicitly listed under Warforged Racial Traits. You may, as an immediate action, allow a spell to bypass this immunity (a Warforged targeted by an allies cat’s grace, for example, could choose to allow the spell through. He would then gain the benefits of cat’s grace for the complete duration of the spell).

DracoDei
2009-06-11, 11:17 PM
Prereq. for Fire Within doesn't match the name of Furnace Forged.

Living Bastion is going to perhaps wreck some very nice treasure, smart players are going to think twice before taking it.

Need to specify that the benefits of the last feat are retroactive and cumulative I think... (they are, right?). DEFINITELY specify that non-limited use items AT LEAST (so maybe even potions, scrolls, and wands) become active again as soon as you put them down.

Fizban
2009-06-12, 04:21 AM
So, we have VoP (Warforged)? I'm not even going near that idea.

You don't need to specify that adamantine overcomes hardness, it does that automatically for hardness less than 20, unless you specifically want adamantine to pierce it even if you get it up to 20.

Looking up the object rules, apparently acid started dealing full damage when I wasn't looking, so you might want to change that. You might also specify that "seige weapons and similar" deal full damage.

Cieyrin
2009-06-12, 10:29 AM
They certainly look nifty as Warforged feats go. I agree with DracoDei about Living Bastion, though if you take Superior Construction, the character could probably care less, considering he won't be able to use them, anyways. Plus, it looks cool.

I have a minor point of contention on Adamant Reinforcement and Living Bastion, in that they use even Con scores as prereqs, as opposed to odd scores, which is customary. Not that big a deal, really, just an observation.

My only other concern is how Superior Construction interacts with Warforged Juggernauts and Reforged, as well as with Warforged Components. It seems a shame if the Superior Constructed Warforged couldn't use Components at all, since that's one of the things that makes Warforged so unique.

Them's my 2 coppers. Take as you will.

DracoDei
2009-06-12, 10:56 AM
Components (or at least the ones that are difficult to swap out) could be specifically stated to not be nulled out since they are enough part of the body that they aren't drained. It would be like your tibia vampirizing your fibia or something...

Would have to be looked at from a balance perspective though.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-06-12, 11:01 AM
Components (or at least the ones that are difficult to swap out) could be specifically stated to not be nulled out since they are enough part of the body that they aren't drained. It would be like your tibia vampirizing your fibia or something...

Would have to be looked at from a balance perspective though.

I think this is a valid point. Perhaps I'll put in a progression allowing a certain number of components you're allowed (1/4th level, perhaps?).

Another possibility would be to make feats that give you components. Thoughts?

Cieyrin
2009-06-14, 07:36 AM
Personally, I think Component Feats would make things a tad complicated, as I don't recall any feats that give you physical stuff. That's more of a feature for a class or PRC. I do agree that a certain number of components being allowed would do much to enhance the Superior Construction (what better way to improve one self than with quality parts, right?). Plus, this way the Warforged Artificers that go for the Battlefist familiar alternate class feature aren't screwed out of it by the magic drain of their form. Plus, I almost see a requirement for advancement in level with the feat in having a certain amount of tinkering going on by an artificer to improve and enhance features and who better to do so than the Warforged Artificer itself? :smallbiggrin:

Them's my 2 coppers. Take as you will.

Realms of Chaos
2009-06-14, 09:08 AM
Superior Construction looks nice but it seems to suffer from one problem that vow of poverty had. Whenever I've taken vow of poverty, it never seemed like there were enough good exalted feats to take as bonus feats.

Are there enough good warforged feats (are there even enough warforged feats)?

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-06-14, 09:09 AM
Superior Construction looks nice but it seems to suffer from one problem that vow of poverty had. Whenever I've taken vow of poverty, it never seemed like there were enough good exalted feats to take as bonus feats.

Are there enough good warforged feats (are there even enough warforged feats)?

Well, the Eberron books list some 15+, Krimm Blackleaf added, oh, 6 or so, and I'm working on increasing the number. :smallbiggrin:

Realms of Chaos
2009-06-14, 09:26 AM
That number can be misleading when you consider that many warforged feats either can only be taken at first level or require such a feat.

Then again, you are indeed helping to remedy the solution.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-06-14, 09:29 AM
That number can be misleading when you consider that many warforged feats either can only be taken at first level or require such a feat.

Very true.

Then again, you are indeed helping to remedy the solution.

Again, very true. Any suggestions for feats are, by the way, appreciated. :smallbiggrin:

Pramxnim
2009-06-14, 10:24 AM
Let me just say that I love any type of feat chain that gets stronger as you level or with the number of feats you have :smallsmile:

You sir, are amazing for coming up with these feats!

Now, on to breaking them apart!

Fire within

The way this ability is worded, it looks like the character who take this is in for a nasty surprise. You don't get a saving throw against magical attacks that deal fire damage means that any save or die spell that happens to also deal damage is going to get through your defenses automatically (with Energy Substitution (Fire), it's not hard to replicate this). I'd rather say that you automatically succeed on all saving throws to resist fire damage (but you must still make saving throws against any additional effects that a spell might have outside of damage).

Superior Construction

Wow, this is... a bit too powerful I think. You get focused increases in stats, while still retaining your full wealth by level (which you can now use to purchase stuff for other members of your team, buy components, or do some really crazy shenanigans like buy an airship at higher levels :smallbiggrin:). You also don't have to take another feat to take it, and you do not risk losing the feat by any means. The magic item restriction is daunting enough, but... this is strictly better than Vow of Poverty in every way.

I for one have no problem with allowing it in a game, but many DMs won't think the same way. They'll compare it with Vow of Poverty, realise the difference and strike it down. I know that VoP is suboptimal and underpowered, but I do think you should consider nerfing the feat a bit.
Spread out the stat gain a bit, while still focusing on Str and Con seem like a good idea. Dex is another good stat for increasing, and I'm happy with +8 Str/+8 Con/+4 Dex over 20 levels.

Bonus Warforged feats are IMO more beneficial than Exalted feats, and the Fast Healing seem like a bit... I dunno... too much for 1 feat? I'd swap that for natural armour or something similar.

Speaking of components, you might want to specify that they function on a Warforged that has taken this feat despite being magical. They are also a loophole to the rule that Warforgeds with this feat cannot use magical items, since Warforged components function basically the same way.

Lastly, as far as I know, once you embed a component, it functions normally, and there is no limit to the number of embedded components you may have (they just cost twice as much as a slotted magical item that grant the same benefits).

Would you consider making a similar feat for members of all races? Or a different kind of Vow of Povery that covers all races, sort of like a Racial Paragon feat.

jagadaishio
2009-06-14, 02:01 PM
Adamant Reinforcement and Living Bastion are both way too good for their requirements. The sheer amount of damage ignored, topped off with the ability to destroy weapons striking you, is amazingly powerful. I would double the base attack bonus requirements and increase the constitution score requirements by two each. That way you can only qualify for them at high but sub-epic levels, since they're about as powerful as epic feats anyway. There is no way that a character should be able to qualify for them in the first half of their adventuring career.

There is no way to make a VoP-style feat that isn't overpowered in some areas and underpowered in others. It's pretty much the definition of unbalanced, in both the beneficial and detrimental ways. I wish you the best of luck in refining it into something that's actually feasible.

Your other feats look fine. Change the text in parenthesis in Fire Within to '(although you do get saves against any other damage or effects the attack might deal, if applicable)' so that, as Pramxnim pointed out, save or die effects embedded in fire spells won't just kill you outright. Yup.

jagadaishio
2009-06-14, 03:53 PM
Hey, I'm working in a community worldbuilding project where warforged are fire elementals bound into protective metal bodies to survive the material world long-term. This means that your Fire Within and Furnace Forged feats are especially appropriate there. So, I'm asking if you would be willing to submit them there as official original content for the campaign setting. If not, I'm still hoping that you would be willing to let me link here as suggested materials.

The thread is right here:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114664

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-06-14, 03:59 PM
Hey, I'm working in a community worldbuilding project where warforged are fire elementals bound into protective metal bodies to survive the material world long-term. This means that your Fire Within and Furnace Forged feats are especially appropriate there. So, I'm asking if you would be willing to submit them there as official original content for the campaign setting. If not, I'm still hoping that you would be willing to let me link here as suggested materials.

The thread is right here:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114664

I'd be happy with linking them as suggested materials, and you're welcome to take them and post them there (provided I get some credit any time the feats appear and, obviously, that you ask again if the campaign setting ever, say, reaches a point where it's a pay-for project), but I'm not going to call them "official original content" for the setting, because I know nothing about the setting. :smallbiggrin:

But by all means link them, and use them if you like them! That's what these feats are here for!

jagadaishio
2009-06-14, 04:17 PM
Thanks! Will do.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-06-15, 11:23 AM
Adamant Reinforcement and Living Bastion are both way too good for their requirements. The sheer amount of damage ignored, topped off with the ability to destroy weapons striking you, is amazingly powerful. I would double the base attack bonus requirements and increase the constitution score requirements by two each. That way you can only qualify for them at high but sub-epic levels, since they're about as powerful as epic feats anyway. There is no way that a character should be able to qualify for them in the first half of their adventuring career.

You think? Adamant Reinforcement mainly protects against lesser known power types, and a Warforged's DR is rarely above 5 or so...and that's WITH a few applications of the Improved Damage Reduction feat (3, to be percise). It's often closer to 2/Adamantine...granted by the Adamantine Body feat.

As for Living Bastion...well, that's just Vow of Peace, with the Aura of Peace and the armor class bonuses removed. A feat which is, by the way, available at 2nd level. So I upped the requirements a great deal, and removed two of the three benefits. I don't see a problem with it, personally. But, now that I've explained my reasoning, I'm happy to hear counterarguments. :smallbiggrin:

There is no way to make a VoP-style feat that isn't overpowered in some areas and underpowered in others. It's pretty much the definition of unbalanced, in both the beneficial and detrimental ways. I wish you the best of luck in refining it into something that's actually feasible.

Thank you. I'll be working on it.

Your other feats look fine. Change the text in parenthesis in Fire Within to '(although you do get saves against any other damage or effects the attack might deal, if applicable)' so that, as Pramxnim pointed out, save or die effects embedded in fire spells won't just kill you outright. Yup.

Good recommendation. I'll get on that fairly soon.

Update: Armored Inferno and Soul of the Forge added to the initial post.

DracoDei
2009-06-15, 02:26 PM
Soul of the Forge should sounds like it should leave you without any equipment until you spend the actions to retreive your stuff from you corpse. Also, it should nil out the EFFECTS (but not the posession of) most Warforged feats since you are now no longer made of metal. So no DR or natural armor bonus sounds good to me. Maybe keep as much of the NA as a medium fire elemental has. OTOH, no armor check penalty.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-06-15, 02:41 PM
Soul of the Forge should sounds like it should leave you without any equipment until you spend the actions to retreive your stuff from you corpse. Also, it should nil out the EFFECTS (but not the posession of) most Warforged feats since you are now no longer made of metal. So no DR or natural armor bonus sounds good to me. Maybe keep as much of the NA as a medium fire elemental has. OTOH, no armor check penalty.

Yeah...I realized at work today that the feat needs a good deal of refinement, which I plan to do later today. :smallbiggrin:

Good suggestions though.

jagadaishio
2009-06-15, 03:29 PM
I strongly recommend making the following changes to these feats:

Adamant Reinforcement [Warforged]
Your entire body is reinforced with adamantine, rendering your almost indestructible.
Prerequisites: Adamantine Body, Improved Damage Reduction, Improved Fortification, Base Attack Bonus +12, Constitution 17
Benefit: You gain many of the qualities of an inanimate object. Any Damage Reduction (overcome by adamantine) you posses changes to an equal amount of Hardness (overcome by adamantine), although it still protects against attacks that ignore Hardness but apply Damage Reduction. Additionally, you take half damage from ranged attacks (siege weapons and the like still do normal damage), as well as fire, and lightning attacks (before applying Hardness), and you take only one-quarter damage from cold attacks (before applying Hardness). Finally, you gain immunity to nonlethal damage.

The requirements were really too low before; level 12 is, in my opinion, a much minimum level to gain this incredibly potent and awesome feat than level 8. The clarifications you added (which I slashed) about hardness aren't necessary. Adamantine weapons overcome all hardness less than 20 already, and to the best of my knowledge there are no attacks that ignore hardness but nor DR, since hardness applies to both magical and physical attacks, while DR only opposes physical ones.

Living Bastion [Warforged]
Your armor shrugs off blows like water, leaving you impervious to damage.
Prerequisites: Adamant Reinforcement, Adamantine Body, Improved Damage Reduction, Improved Fortification, Base Attack Bonus +16, Constitution 19
Benefit: Whenever a manufactured or improvised weapon (including magic weapons) strikes you, it must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + ½ your Character level + your Constitution modifier) or shatter instantly, dealing no damage. Additionally, any manufactured or improvised weapon (including magic weapons) that has its damage completely negated by your Hardness is treated as if it had failed this saving throw. In both cases, only the ammunition of a ranged weapon is destroyed: the weapon itself remains intact.

This feat makes a warforged an uncontested tanking GOD. Weapons break across its armor, even magical ones. If you roll low damage on an attack against a warforged with this, you don't even get a save to avoid losing your weapon. It needs at least these increases in its base requirements, if not the full removal of the auto-fail clause.

Make no mistake, I think these feats are awesome. Really awesome. But that's why they need higher requirements.

jagadaishio
2009-06-15, 06:18 PM
Would a Superior Construction warforged still be able to enchant its body the way a normal warforged can in spite of its inability to personally use magic items? Whether it can or cannot is of vital importance for sake of balance.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-06-16, 11:39 AM
The Constitution increases and other in-text stuff I agree with, but how does +10 and +15 (and the removal of the auto-fail clause for magic weapons only), respectively, sound for the Base Attack Bonus?

As for the Superior Construction question...well, I'm not sure. That feat needs a bit of revision. I'm inclined to say no. :smallbiggrin:

jagadaishio
2009-06-16, 12:04 PM
The Constitution increases and other in-text stuff I agree with, but how does +10 and +15 (and the removal of the auto-fail clause for magic weapons only), respectively, sound for the Base Attack Bonus?

As for the Superior Construction question...well, I'm not sure. That feat needs a bit of revision. I'm inclined to say no. :smallbiggrin:

I definitely agree with changes and requirement increases along those lines. Superior construction is cool, but as it stands right now, it does have some loophole and unspecified content.

Stycotl
2009-06-16, 01:24 PM
awesome concept. i am going to have to mull this thing over. i am already having brainstorms for future npc's and encounters. makes warforged feats worth focusing on too.

Godna
2010-03-26, 10:05 AM
These are very well made, but I think living bastion should have its required base attack lower by quite a bit to about 10 or so because despite it being somewhat less restrictive than vow of peace/nonviolence it require a quite large feat investment.

Mulletmanalive
2010-03-26, 11:55 AM
Ok...Threadomancy non-withstanding, I'm so handing Superior Construction to every Warforged in my campaign, along with a Flaw to balance it out [probably chosen from a narrow list to indicate a weakness in their particular design]

Finally, Warforged come out as actually worth the money spent on them; according to the Eberron sourcebooks, an individual Warforged cost their governments more than four Clone spells would have...

lightningcat
2010-03-27, 07:55 PM
Finally, Warforged come out as actually worth the money spent on them; according to the Eberron sourcebooks, an individual Warforged cost their governments more than four Clone spells would have...

Where is the price for them mentioned? I've been looking for that for some time.

EpicEvokerElf
2010-03-27, 10:00 PM
I love these! Armored Inferno seems a little too good, considering how easy it is to get a high Fort by dipping one or two melee classes, and I'm in favor of lowering the requirements on Living Bastion (since, as you pointed out, you can get that and the some at level 2 with Aura of Peace).

Bookmarked for the next opportunity I get to roll up a warforged, by the way. Thank you!

Mulletmanalive
2010-03-28, 11:10 AM
Where is the price for them mentioned? I've been looking for that for some time.

Forged of War somewhere...

Page 100: 5-6,000 GP.