PDA

View Full Version : Request help with a custom magic item

Josh the Aspie
2009-06-12, 12:39 AM
Greetings all!

The DMG allows for creation of both charge-based and infinite at-will use items. Does anyone else think that Bocobb's blessed book might count as a charged item that could be turned into an infinite use item for writing spells into it? Possibly re-fluffed as a crystal orb, or the like?

tyckspoon
2009-06-12, 12:57 AM
I think that's making a logical jump off a cliff. It's also fairly pointless; the Blessed Book is already infinite for any practical purpose, where practical use is defined as "holds every useful spell ever printed for D&D 3.5." The only way you're going to fill up a Book is to obsessively collect every junk spell as well.

holywhippet
2009-06-12, 01:01 AM
Kind of hard to refluff. You put a spell in a spellbook by writing the spell into it. You can't exactly scribe it into a crystall ball.

I suppose you could have it as a magical book that would turn to the page of whatever spell you state before opening it or a blank page if it doesn't exist.

You could adjust the price I suppose probably making it at least 3 times more expensive. However, given the huge capacity of the spellbook I don't know if anyone would want a larger version as they'd have trouble finding enough spells to fill it.

Josh the Aspie
2009-06-12, 01:27 AM
All good existing spells. What about research?

Anyway, you do have some good points I suppose.

BobVosh
2009-06-12, 01:57 AM
Buy the handy haversack, put 2 BBB in it. Success!

Josh the Aspie
2009-06-12, 02:16 AM
Which, due to cruddy strength (would you believe.... a 4?) and my liking to have lots of spare stuff to use, I was going to get anyway. Hmmmm.

Also useful for storage of familiars, if I get an air source in there... assuming of course I can find enough feats to take obtain familiar. :P