PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Non-casting Ranger variant that uses 4e material: is this balanced?

Faleldir
2009-06-12, 06:45 AM
I had an idea for a Ranger fix, but I'm not sure it's as good as spells.
When a Ranger would normally gain a new level of spells, he may choose a 4th edition at-will Ranger exploit.
This exploit must be "Ranger Attack 1".
Would you consider that a fair trade?

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-06-12, 07:51 AM
I had an idea for a Ranger fix, but I'm not sure it's as good as spells.
When a Ranger would normally gain a new level of spells, he may choose a 4th edition at-will Ranger exploit.
This exploit must be "Ranger Attack 1".
Would you consider that a fair trade?

I think so. The ranger spells are good, but come late and infrequently enough to be easily traded, and 4e stuff is on a small enough damage scale that it wouldn't be broken.

Morty
2009-06-12, 07:54 AM
Trading rager spells for other abilities is a good idea, but 4ed powers are mostly incompatibile with 3.x classes; you'd be essentially homebrewing special abilities that look similiar to 4ed Ranger exploits.

Faleldir
2009-06-12, 08:03 AM
Trading rager spells for other abilities is a good idea, but 4ed powers are mostly incompatibile with 3.x classes; you'd be essentially homebrewing special abilities that look similiar to 4ed Ranger exploits.
In this case, it shouldn't be difficult to convert; they're all Attack vs. AC and use rules that exist in 3.5 under different names.