PDA

View Full Version : Lucky Bastereds (PrC+Feats apleanty)

boomwolf
2009-06-12, 07:22 AM
Well, this is a tribute to my favorite mechanic in 3.5 that didn't get much love. I mean-capping at level 9? hell no. and half of the luck feats are tipping over each others toes! (i mean, 3 that give a few skills a reroll and one that gives ALL a reroll? the former are useless!)
This time it goes all the way! and not requiring to be a caster no more!

The class itself is nearly identical to Fortune's Friend, but with full BAB replacing the little casting advancement, and AC bonus instead of save bonus. the skill-set is also changed to more fighter-ish and less magic-ish.
Requirements are also a bit harder, as I am aware many of these abilities are more effective on a pure fighter-type then on a jack-of-all-trades.

As for flavor, its the same a Fortune's Friend, jest in a more sword-swingy style.

Entry Requirements:
BAB: +5
Feats: Any two luck feats.
Skills: Luck 8 ranks

Luckblade
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+0|
+2|
+0|Easy luck, extra fortune, more luck then skill

2nd|
+2|
+0|
+3|
+0|Bonus luck feat

3rd|
+3|
+1|
+3|
+1|Extra fortune, lucky avoidance

4th|
+4|
+1|
+4|
+1|Bonus luck feat

5th|
+5|
+1|
+4|
+1|Extra fortune, lucky strike[/table]

Class Skills (6+int modifier per level): Appraise, Balance, Bluff, Climb, Craft, Diplomacy, Disable Device, Disguise, Escape Artist, Forgery, Gather Information, Handle Animal, Heal, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Listen, Move Silently, Open Lock, Preform, Profession, Ride, Search, Slight of Hand, Spot, Survival, Swim, Tumble, Use Rope.

Easy Luck (Ex): Luck comes to you naturally. The swift or immediate action to use a luck feat does not count against your limit of one swift action per turn. However you still cannot expend a luck reroll more than once per turn to influence the same result

Extra Fortune (Ex): At each odd-numbered level, you gain one extra luck roll per day. This reroll is in addition to those granted by luck feats.

More Luck then Skill (Ex): Even if you have some talent in a particular area, you still depend on your luck to see you trough. Once per day as a swift action, you can add your class level as a luck bonus to all skill checks you make until the start of your next turn.

Bonus Luck Feat: At 2nd and 4th level, you gain a bonus luck feat which you meet the prerequisite,

Lucky Avoidance (Ex): By 3rd level, you have learned to rely on your luck to stay alive. Once per day as an immediate action, you may add your class level as a luck bonus to your AC until the start of your next turn.

Lucky Strike (Ex): Even the greatest warriors, those who train and drill constantly, occasionally win through sheer luck, so why shouldn't you? Beginning at 5th level, once per day as a swift action, you can add your class level as a luck bonus on all attack rolls you make until the start of your next turn.

Behold the Update-LUCK SKILL!
Made this because:
A-it completes the class
B-it is related to a new project and I want to see how it works before that project gets too much work from my side.

Luck (Cha)
Using this skill is different then other skills. first you figure out the DC for another skill check to complete the task, then you make a luck check against double that DC.

Synrgy-You gain +1 synrgy bonus for every luck feat you have. also, a luck bonus to this skill is doubled and a luck negative is halved.
Special- the Luck skill gets double the bonus from luck bonuses.
The skill is a class skill to all characters that possess a luck feat.
Luck is a class skill for everyone.

Technically its pretty damn versatile, but very weak, weaker then half a point in another skill. (easier to beat a DC 20 jump check with modifier 10 then a DC 40 luck with modifier of 20.)

And now-more luck feats to complete the higher levels!
level 9

Slayer's Luck [Luck]
When you kill, your luck tends to make sure they are dead.
Prerequisite: Character level 9th, any luck feat.
Benefit: Whenever you drop a creature to 0 HP or less you may spend a luck reroll, if you do that creature is immediately slain.

level 12

Lucky Life [Luck]
Sometimes, luck jest refuses you to die.
Prerequisite: Characther level 12th, any luck feat.
Benefit: Whenever you would be killed, you may spend a luck reroll to survive it, leaving you with -9 hp, but stable. You may not use this ability while in negative hitpoints.

Lucky Maneuvers [Luck]
flavor
Prerequisite: Character level 12th, any luck feat
Benefit: At any time you may spend a luck reroll in order to instantly move yourself 10 ft away, this movement can cross areas that would normally take time to cross, getting attacked or even negate laws of gravity, but it may only be used to get you away from a clear, immediate danger (such as falling into a trap door, getting hit by fireball ETC.), you may spend any number of additional luck rerolls, each increasing the distance traveled by 5 ft.
While you may move through any terrain and any danger with this ability you are not harmed by any danger normal movement would cause you to face.

Forgotten Deals [Luck]
flavor
Prerequisite: Character level 12th, and luck feat
Benefit: As a swift action you may spend a luck reroll to replace any number of items and gold for another that's worth equal or less. the newly acquired item may not be of value grater then 1000 gp, regardless of what you trade for it.

level 15

Against all Odds [Luck]
Your luck defies all rules of probability.
Prerequisite: Character level 15th, Unbelievable Luck
Benefit: You gain Three additional luck rerolls, and a +2 luck bonus on all saving throws.

Luck's Favor [Luck]
Luck loves you so much, its unlikely it will screw you over.
Prerequisite: Character level 15th, any three luck feats.
Benefit: Whenever you use a luck reroll you may spend an additional luck reroll, if you do you take the better result of the two, instead of the later.

Luck of Time [Luck]
flavor
Prerequisite: Character level 15th, any three luck feats.
Benefit: you may spend two luck rerolls to make the duration of any timed effect, magical or not to be 1d6 round longer, or spend three luck rerolls to make it 1d6 rounds shorter.

level 18

Forgotten Trades [Luck]
flavor
Prerequisite: Character level 18th, Forgotten Deals.
Benefit:When using Forgotten Deals's ability to replace items you may spend any number of additional luck rerolls, for each reroll spend the max value of the acquired item increases by 1000 gp. (you must still trade items and gold of at least equal value.)

Stubborn Luck [Luck]
Your luck sometimes refuse to give up.
Prerequisite: Character level 18th, any three luck feats.
Benefit: After each time you use a luck reroll you may choose to spend twice as many as the original reroll costs, if you do you may reroll that die once more.

Luck Over Magic [Luck]
Even magic find it difficult to face your luck.
Prerequisite: Character level 18th, any three luck feats.
Benefit:Whenever you are a target of a spell you may spend any number of luck rerolls, the spell as a fail chance equal to 10*luck rerolls spend. if the spell has another source of fail chance (such as arcane spell failure), they stack into a single roll.

Epic

Epic Luck [Epic, Luck]
Your have more luck then it would seem possible, even lady luck herself is envious.
Prerequisite: Character level 21th, Against all Odds, any other six luck feats.
Benefit: You gain ten additional luck rerolls, plus a +4 luck bonus to all saving throws.

Dreamer's luck [Epic, Luck][/U][/B]
Your luck allows you to change the very fabric of reality.
Prerequisite: Character level 21th, any ten luck feats.
Benefit: As a swift action you may spend 10 luck rerolls in order to use a wish or the miracle spell like ability, however it still costs you 5000 xp as if you were casting the spell.

Soooo...balanced? good? whatyouthink?
While at lower levels the luck may be weak, but with this new feat chain (12 new luck feats), you go all the way to epics, and gain a silly number of luck rerolls, each can be used in a very versatile amount of ways.
If you took both luckblade and fortune's friend, you are a human, took human paragon (I know its a bit cheaty to take both but its funny), at level 15 you can hit a total of 12 luck feats plus 6 extra rerolls. insane by all standards. and I'm sure some thinkering can get it even higher.

Actually I think I gonna make a Battle Sorcerer 1/Fighter 1/Human Paragon 3/Fortune Friend 5/Luckblade 5 jest to see how it works.

DracoDei
2009-06-12, 07:38 AM
Lucky life is very powerful. If you don't use your re-rolls for something else, then it will mean you basically never will lose a level to getting killed unless someone drops you into lava or something (where there would be frequent enough ongoing damage that you might run out of rerolls before the fight is over and your friends can get to you.

boomwolf
2009-06-12, 11:06 AM
Right. I better put a cooldown on it, or a very steep cost.

What do you say, once per encounter or make it cost four rerolls? (four rerolls still allows you to use it quite alot, but limits you to have tons of rerolls saved just for that.)

DracoDei
2009-06-12, 11:21 AM
I would recommend either BOTH of what you mentioned, or 1/day, but I don't know that much about luck feats.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-06-12, 11:29 AM
I would recommend either BOTH of what you mentioned, or 1/day, but I don't know that much about luck feats.

Alternatively, add the following:

You may not use this ability if you were unconscious or helpless before taking damage.

This means that sometimes your luck runs out. If you survive one attack with this method, but don't recieve healing, the second will take you out.

DracoDei
2009-06-12, 11:45 AM
That actually prevents some of the most cinematic uses of it... the villian is holding you hostage, you bravely tell your team-mates "this guy getting away is more than my life is worth", he slits your throat, but the blow is deflected just enough for you to survive while still looking convincingly bloody by a shard of shrapnel from when the frenzied bezerker tore into that iron golem three rooms back.... of course I don't know if this is actually desirable to preserve, but I thought I would mention it... "already at negative hitpoints" might be a good alternative way of phrasing it.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-06-12, 11:46 AM
You make a good point.

Already at negative hitpoints works well.

boomwolf
2009-06-12, 07:21 PM
Yea, the negative hitpoints seems right. should have though about it.

What about the rest of the feats?

Pramxnim
2009-06-13, 08:26 PM
I really like the class, and am personally also a fan of Luck feats (as well as any other feat chains that grant you fun abilities that only increase in effectiveness the more feats of that chain you take, like say... Heritage feats).

I was going to make a similar class, only with more focus on Luck feats (granting more bonus luck feats than your class), but I think I like your idea better. Kudos on the new Luck feats, although Slayer's Luck can be quite powerful in very... specific... circumstances (I wonder how it would interact with Contingency spells set to go off once the BBEG reaches 0 hp?)

TSED
2009-06-13, 09:02 PM
Luck is always a fun mechanic, just for the scenarios that play out like this:

"You dead."
"Nuh uh!"
"CURSES, FOILED AGAIN!"

That being said, I have two opinions:
1) You should really go through and proof-read everything. A lot of typos are rather jarring.
2) "Any skill 8 ranks" seems very... odd. I'd just wipe it off and demand any 2 luck feats. I mean, they need to be at least fifth level with two luck feats anyways, why worry about whether or not they maxed a skill out?