PDA

View Full Version : Priest basic class [PEACH]

Lord Iames Osari
2006-07-26, 01:10 PM
PRIEST
AL: as cleric
Hit Die: d6
Class Skills: The priest’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Gather Information (Cha), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (history) (Int), Knowledge (local) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Knowledge (the planes) (Int), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int).
Skill Points @ 1st level: (4 + Int mod)*4
Skill Points at additional levels: 4 + Int mod

BAB: As cleric
Saves: Fort poor, Ref poor, Will good.

The priest prepares and casts spells as a cleric does. To determine spells per day, use the bard, and add one domain spell per level. Priests use the cleric spell list, up to 6th level spells.

Weapon and Armor Proficencies: The priest is proficient with simple weapons, but not with armor or shields.
Domain: @ 1st level, priests gain access to one domain associated with their deity.
Priestly music: Priests can bardic music abilities as a bard of their priest level.
Priestly knowledge: Priests add their priest levels as a bonus to Gather Information, Knowledge (local), and Sense Motive checks.
Turn or Rebuke Undead: At third level, a priest gians the ability to turn or rebuke undead as a cleric 2 levels lower.

The Demented One
2006-07-26, 01:28 PM
Like what you did here, but a couple of issues.

1. The name. Priests really have no special association with music. Hymnist might work here, of Psalmist would work.

2. Turning undead. Giving him both full Bardic Music abilities and reduced turn undead abilities gives him a substantial boost over the bard. I'd advise bumping his turning ability down to match that of a paladin, and give his bardic music a minor nerf--maybe he gets all abilities one level later than a normal bard past 1st level. Also, I'd advocate swapping out some bardic music for some unique music abilities, just to give it some distinction from its arcane brother.

3. The spell list. The bard has a specialized spell list, focusing on enchantment and illusion, and with almost no direct attack spells. Meanwhile, this guy can throw around flame strikes, righteous mights, and slay livings. Again, a substantial advantage over the bard. I'd advise combining the bard and cleric spell lists, them trimming out anything that doesn't fit the concept to get a spell list.

Good work, all in all.

Fax Celestis
2006-07-26, 01:34 PM
I was thinking "Divine Hymnist", personally.

Pretty much what Demented said above...I'd venture to say that he turns at -2 levels, and sings at -2 levels. Specific feats for "hymnist music" would be good, though.

Hario
2006-07-26, 01:37 PM
Don't forget they are able to cast in armor... Oh noes! CoDzilla strikes again in the form of CoDoPzilla.... but really that class totally overshadows the bard... I don't want to turn this into a Codzilla v. Arcane thread but thats highly overpowered compaird to the bard, and I don't take the bardic music abilities that much of a difference to make it original and such... how about this... make it a PrC and take way the priestly knowlege (unless you make it so they can take a 10 on any knowlege divine check) and add at Adjusted character lvl 17 they are able to sacrifice all of their spells for true ressurection once per day... or something to that affect :/

The Demented One
2006-07-26, 01:43 PM
Don't forget they are able to cast in armor... Oh noes! CoDzilla strikes again in the form of CoDoPzilla
As long as the class doesn't grant heavy armor proficiency, I don't think that should be too much of a factor.

Also, a random picture.
http://img346.imageshack.us/img346/4874/codzilladg7.jpg

TheThan
2006-07-26, 01:45 PM
Well I Beat you to it. (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=gaming;action=display;num=1149403054 ;start=)

Hario
2006-07-26, 01:47 PM
As long as the class doesn't grant heavy armor proficiency, I don't think that should be too much of a factor.

Also, a random picture.
http://img346.imageshack.us/img346/4874/codzilladg7.jpg
Its called twighlight on heavy armor, they don't need proficiencies anymore...

The Demented One
2006-07-26, 03:05 PM
Its called twighlight on heavy armor, they don't need proficiencies anymore...
Twilight just reduces ASF. You sure you aren't thinking mithral?

Lord Iames Osari
2006-07-26, 03:08 PM
I was going to post a revision, but it occurred to me that I can get what I want just by making the bard's spells divine. Nevermind.

Telonius
2006-07-26, 03:21 PM
I was thinking "Divine Hymnist", personally.

Pretty much what Demented said above...I'd venture to say that he turns at -2 levels, and sings at -2 levels. Specific feats for "hymnist music" would be good, though.

I like the -2 music. That ensures that he doesn't completely step on the Bard's toes.

I do think that "priests" (or the equivalent) of most religions are expected to be able to sing or chant at least part of a liturgy or service. At the very least they're expected to preach, which could count as Perform (oratory). As far as that goes, the name sounds fine. Venturing into PC territory here, but would female members of this class be called priests, or priestesses? Doesn't really matter, I guess, but the question occurred to me.
(Edited for clarity)

Adjudicator
2006-07-26, 03:59 PM
I like the concept, though I agree with some of the previous statements. I would say that you should change the bard ability to something similar, just using oration instead. Maybe some kind of 'inspired speech'? Priests had/have split roles for services. The use of oration would seem more focused for an adventuring priest class, while a priest trained solely in music would be less likely to be a PC class.

Just one outside question, which probably reveals my newness to OOTS, but what does PEACH stand for?

Fax Celestis
2006-07-26, 04:03 PM
Just one outside question, which probably reveals my newness to OOTS, but what does PEACH stand for?
Please Examine And Critique Honestly.

codexgigas
2006-07-26, 06:19 PM
Using real religions as a basis, the best name for the class would be "cantor;" in liturgical services in the Judeo-Christian tradition, the cantor is the cleric (or increasingly, lay-person) who leads the congregation in the sung parts of the liturgy.

As far as mechanics go, I've considered making a divine bard variant myself. I'd go with full music advancement, but drop the ability to turn/rebuke undead. Lay on hands might be an option for another class ability, but I don't have my PH with me to see how that stacks up against the bard. Instead of just using the bard of cleric spell list, I'd come up with an alternate one, just to give the class more of a unique feel, rather than feeling like a less-powerful cleric or a bard with a few different abilities. I'd also consider switching out some of the bardic music abilities; fascinate doesn't seem too priestly to me. I'd think that the divine music should either buff or work offensively only against undead/outsiders opposed to deity's alignment.