PDA

View Full Version : Alter Self forms for a Warforged wizard?

Adumbration
2009-06-13, 01:37 PM
I recently acquired Alter self for my 4th level Warforged wizard, and now in hindsight I realize that most of the forms usually available to a wizard with Alter Self can't be used due to the Construct type.

Are there any useful Construct type creatures that I might Alter Self to?

Yuki Akuma
2009-06-13, 02:03 PM
Homunculi? Some of the Eberron ones are nice.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-06-13, 06:14 PM
Animated Objects. Figure out how to apply the modifications to create them beforehand, then transform and roll out whenever needed. The versatility is the key.

woodenbandman
2009-06-13, 09:22 PM
Uhh... do the Effigy creatures count? Because if those are allowed you can be anything at all.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-06-13, 09:26 PM
As a warforged, you are of the Living Construct subtype. Which means that you cant really be much. :smallfrown:

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-06-13, 09:31 PM
As a warforged, you are of the Living Construct subtype. Which means that you cant really be much. :smallfrown:Subtype doesn't matter, only type matters. They're constructs and can become constructs, unless you want to say that Kobolds can only become [Reptillian] Humanoids.

Kosjsjach
2009-06-13, 09:41 PM
edit: I do not know what I'm talking about. Shutting up now.

FMArthur
2009-06-13, 10:11 PM
Animated caravan. Everyone in the group will facepalm every time you say "transform and roll out", but you don't need their approval because you know you're awesome.

Ravens_cry
2009-06-13, 10:52 PM
A nice thing to turn into would be a golem. They get spell immunity and 10/adamantine damage reduction. If you ever get 6th level spells, flesh to stone cures all damage if your a stone golem.
If anything the warforged Alter self options are better then for a fleshy meatbag.

Deth Muncher
2009-06-13, 11:48 PM
Animated caravan. Everyone in the group will facepalm every time you say "transform and roll out", but you don't need their approval because you know you're awesome.

You beat me to the joke. I was going to say either a gorilla or an 18-wheeler.

Saph
2009-06-13, 11:51 PM
You beat me to the joke. I was going to say either a gorilla or an 18-wheeler.

Wait, you mean people cast Alter Self as a Warforged for other reasons than making Transformers jokes? :P

Deth Muncher
2009-06-14, 12:08 AM
Wait, you mean people cast Alter Self as a Warforged for other reasons than making Transformers jokes? :P

Heh. Or, be a Warforged Druid. Same concept.

chiasaur11
2009-06-14, 12:31 AM

A few choose to make Gobot jokes.

And to be fair to them, Baron Von Joy does have an awesome name.

Jack_Simth
2009-06-14, 12:42 AM
A nice thing to turn into would be a golem. They get spell immunity and 10/adamantine damage reduction. If you ever get 6th level spells, flesh to stone cures all damage if your a stone golem.
If anything the warforged Alter self options are better then for a fleshy meatbag.
Yeah... unfortunately, Alter Self doesn't give you the assorted abilities you mention here.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-06-14, 01:09 AM
Effigy Creatures are out, you cannot take the form of anything with a template.

Automaton, Pulverizer (MM2): +11 natural armor, 40 ft. base land speed, slam attack.

Necrophidius (FF): 10 ft. climb speed.

Maug (FF): you can possibly take this form to create Maug Grafts (FF) to later apply to your normal form, though it may involve Plane Shifting to Mechanus and studying in disguise. Another possibility would be to simply make friends with the Maug and purchase grafts that they create.

Kosjsjach
2009-06-14, 01:09 AM
Yeah... unfortunately, Alter Self doesn't give you the assorted abilities you mention here.
C'est vrai. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/alterSelf.htm)

You acquire the physical qualities of the new form while retaining your own mind. Physical qualities include natural size, mundane movement capabilities (such as burrowing, climbing, walking, swimming, and flight with wings, to a maximum speed of 120 feet for flying or 60 feet for nonflying movement), natural armor bonus, natural weapons (such as claws, bite, and so on), racial skill bonuses, racial bonus feats, and any gross physical qualities (presence or absence of wings, number of extremities, and so forth).
So really, we're looking for a Construct with 5 HD or less, between Large and Small size, with either cool movement, great natural armor (how does ASF factor into this?) or attacks, or sweet racial skills or feats.

Aaaaand go. :smalltongue:

Ravens_cry
2009-06-14, 01:28 AM
*checks SRD*
Merde.
Is there any spell that could?

AslanCross
2009-06-14, 02:27 AM
Electrum Horror from MM2:
-5 HD
-Small
-Has a cool dart attack (no poison unfortunately)
-Point Blank Shot and Precise Shot as bonus feats.
-you don't get its vulnerability to shatter, but unfortunately neither do you get its immunities and SR.

You could also transform into the Furtive Filcher homunculus, or the Expeditious Messenger.

...you could also turn into a Raggamofyn, but I don't think you'd want to suffocate people to death with week-old underwear. (the suffocate special attack is (Ex), but I would rule it to work) Still pretty ridiculous, though.

Eldariel
2009-06-14, 09:32 AM
Warforged Charger in MMsomething (MM3? The one with Warforged tho) also works as a decent combat form. 4 HD. Admittedly less useful for non-combat intent Wizards though. The biggest thing about those are the two Slams and the bonus feats.

TheThan
2009-06-14, 12:10 PM
For a transformer, there’s an easier way.

The urban druid, It literally lets you turn into inanimate objects instead of animals.

Ganurath
2009-06-14, 12:20 PM
A Large animated adamantium plated wagon has enough hardness to trample, a speed of 60 feet, and can constrict if it's a covered wagon. 4HD, if you were wondering.

Chronos
2009-06-14, 04:15 PM
*checks SRD*
Merde.
Is there any spell that could? [get assorted golem abilities]Not until Shapechange, at 9th level.

ironballs
2009-06-16, 08:04 AM
I also played a wizard warforged, and I researched this subject intematly, I compiled a list of all the useful available monsters (ignored those shapes that were inferior). also summarized the most important features received from each shape:

Clockroach (small, MM4)
AC: 14 (+ size, +3 dex)
Speed: 30ft, borrow 15ft.
Attack:
• 2 pincers, 1d4 + str
• Cannot cast spells with Verbal component.

Common Raggamoffyn (MM2 p.174)
AC: 18 (+5 natural, +3 dex)
Speed: 30ft. fly 30ft.
Attack:
• slam, 1d6 + str
• Can cast spells.

Warforged Charger (large, MM3):
AC: 20 (-1 size, + 8 natural, + 3 dex)
Speed: 30 feet.
Attack:
• 2 slams 1d8 + str.
• Charge 1d8 + 2d6 + str

Special:
• DR 2\adaminte
• Moderate fortification (50%)
• Magic failure 35% (can cast spells).
• +4 Grapple (size bonus)
• Adamantine fist (for bypassing damage reduction).

Animated Object (large):
AC: 20 (+5 natural, -1 size, +3 dex)
Speed:
• with legs +10 feet
• with wheels +40 feet
Special:
• +4 Grapple (size bonus)
• Constrict: deals damage on grapple check 1d8 + 1.5*str
• Cannot cast spells.

Hammerer (Automaton: MM2):
AC: 24 (+11 natural, +3 dex)
Speed: 20 feet