PDA

View Full Version : Item Familiar and/or Ancestral Relic

MissK
2009-06-13, 03:37 PM
I was wondering - can you use an Item Familiar and an Ancestral Relic at the same time? Or is there a "one item" limit on cool things that level up with you?

RelentlessImp
2009-06-13, 03:49 PM
I don't see any reason why not - but, as an Ancestral Relic, the Item Familiar is obviously going to be Inherited (True Inheritance or not) and may prove problematic as it will continually force Ego checks every time you want to use any of its abilities - possibly going so far as to force an Ego check for every attack if it's a weapon.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-06-13, 04:46 PM
I think he means two separate items, one an Item Familiar, the other an Ancestral Relic. Either would definitely be possible, as neither one has any sort of restriction. You could even take OA Samurai and have two swords that could be upgraded by similar mechanics to the Ancestral Relic. Kensai (CW) could even be added on top of all that to get yet another weapon that only costs a little bit of XP to upgrade.

Any loot that would be sold to NPCs at half price could be bought from the rest of the party at half price, and then you can sacrifice its full value into your relic. Each time you upgrade the Relic you could reallocate all of its value, i.e. it can start as a +1 weapon, then upgrade it to +1 Keen, then change it to +1 Wounding, then +1 Speed, and then upgrade it to +1 Speed Keen, then to +1 Speed Wounding, etc.

The Item Familiar can be upgraded as though you had the appropriate item creation feats to do so. Another character could contribute other prerequisites such as spells and caster level, thus all of its upgrades would be at half cost. As an intelligent item it is treated as a construct so it cannot be Sundered, Dispelled, or Disjoined, as those things cannot be used against creatures, and it even remains functional in an antimagic field.

Gaiyamato
2009-06-13, 09:31 PM
Yeah it works.

Item familiar simply requires:
"A permanent magic item"

But you must have "activated" your Ancestral relic first.

If you mean two seperate items, then yeah that works fine.