PDA

View Full Version : Elven Subraces (PEACH)

LoopyZebra
2006-07-24, 10:22 PM
I wrote some elven subraces for my homebrew world. The cultural bits are missing, all there is now are appearances and crunch bits. I'm not very good with customization of crunch, so I'd like it if some of the crunch-talented would take a look. I give you a preemptive Thank You. :)

The Dark Elves and Wood Elves are the standard versions, with the Wood Elves actually being the Elf as represented in the PHB and the Dark Elf as represented in MM. The Frost Elf is near standard to the PHB elf, with the detect hidden doors removed, the weapon proficiencies removed, base stats modified, and cold endurance and survival checks added. The Moon Elf has had their base stats modified, the martial weapon proficiencies removed, and spell-like abilities added. Sun Elves have had their base stats modified, detect hidden doors removed, and weapon proficiencies added. Favored Class and/or languages have been changed for most.

Elves: Elves, with their innate magical affinity, have transformed into five radically different subraces. Transformed is used in place of evolved; these changes happened relatively quickly and were in all cases due to the interference of a god. Elves before these transformations were Moon Elves.

Dark Elves:

Appearance: Dark Elves have gray to black skin, with their hair ranging from dark gray to white. Their irises are a shade of red. They are possessed of delicate features and like all other elves, Dark Elves lack facial or body hair.
· Medium size.
· A Dark Elf has a base land speed of 30 feet.
· +2 Intelligence, +2 Charisma.
· Immunity to sleep spells and effects, and a +2 racial saving throw bonus against enchantment spells or effects.
· +2 racial bonus on Listen, Search, and Spot checks. An elf who merely passes within 5 feet of a secret or concealed door is entitled to a Search check to notice it as if she were actively looking for it.
· Darkvision out to 120 feet.
· Spell resistance equal to 11 + class levels.
· +2 racial bonus on Will saves against spells and spell-like abilities.
· Spell-Like Abilities: Drow can use the following spell-like abilities once per day: dancing lights, darkness, faerie fire. Caster level equals the drow’s class levels.
· Weapon Proficiency: A drow is automatically proficient with the hand crossbow, the rapier, and the short sword.
· Automatic Languages: Common/Lurian, Undercommon/Dark Elven. Bonus Languages: Abyssal, Draconic, Drow Sign Language, Dwarven, Moon Elven.
· Light Blindness: Abrupt exposure to bright light (such as sunlight or a daylight spell) blinds drow for 1 round. On subsequent rounds, they are dazzled as long as they remain in the affected area.
· Dark Elves enter a deep trance for four hours a day (called the Attuning) instead of sleeping. They gain the normal benefits that one would gain from sleeping.
· Favored Class: Wizard (male) or cleric (female).
· Level adjustment +2.

Frost Elves:

Appearance: Frost Elves are possessed of icy blue skin and white to light blue hair, which darkens with age. Their eyes range from dark blue to black, and like all other elves, Frost Elves lack any facial or body hair.
· +2 Constitution, -2 Intelligence. The icy homeland of the Frost Elves forces them to be more resilient, although it leaves them little time to study skills and arcane lore.
· Medium-sized
· Frost Elf base land speed is 30 feet.
· Immunity to magic sleep effects, and a +2 racial saving throw bonus against enchantment spells or effects.
· Low-Light Vision: A Frost Elf can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
· +2 racial bonus on Listen, Search, and Spot checks.
· +2 racial bonus on Survival checks made in arctic environments.
· Cold Endurance: Frost Elves have a +4 racial bonus on Fortitude saves made to resist the effects of cold weather or exposure.
· Frost Elves enter a deep trance for four hours a day (called the Attuning) instead of sleeping. They gain the normal benefits that one would gain from sleeping.
· Automatic Languages: Common and Frost Elven. Bonus Languages: Aquan, Giant, Infernal, Moon Elven, and Nordic.
· Favored Class: Sorcerer. A multiclass Frost Elfs sorcerer class does not count when determining whether she takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing.

Moon Elves:

Appearance: Moon Elves are born with black hair, which fades to a medium purple with adulthood and a silvery lavender with old age. Their eyes are shades of purple, with lighter colored irises being considered good luck. Moon Elven skin is pale in color and their features are fine. Like all other elves, Moon Elves lack facial or body hair.
· +2 Charisma, +2 Intelligence, -2 Strength. Moon Elves are renowned for their intelligence and beauty, although their general inaptitude for heavy activity is well known.
· Medium: As Medium creatures, elves have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
· Moon Elf base land speed is 30 feet.
· Immunity to magic sleep effects, and a +2 racial saving throw bonus against enchantment spells or effects.
· Low-Light Vision: An elf can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
· +2 racial bonus on Listen, Search, and Spot checks. A Moon Elf who merely passes within 5 feet of a secret or concealed door is entitled to a Search check to notice it as if she were actively looking for it.
· Moon Elves enter a deep trance for four hours a day (called the Attuning) instead of sleeping. They gain the normal benefits that one would gain from sleeping.
· Spell-Like Abilities: 2/day Detect Magic
· Automatic Languages: Common/Lurian and Moon Elven. Bonus Languages: Atathian, Draconic, Gnome, Goblin, Sun Elven, and Wood Elven.
· Favored Class: Wizard. A multiclass Moon Elfs wizard class does not count when determining whether she takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing.

Sun Elves:

Appearance: Sun Elves have yellow to golden brown skin, and gold to brown eyes. Their hair is gold to black, and, like all other elves, Sun Elves lack facial or body hair.
· +2 Strength. Sun Elves often train for physical combat, and this is reflected in their physique.
· Medium: As Medium creatures, elves have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
· Elf base land speed is 30 feet.
· Low-Light Vision: An elf can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
· +2 racial bonus on Listen, Search, and Spot checks.
· Automatic Languages: Common/Lurian and Sun Elven. Bonus Languages: Atathian, Celestial, Goblin, Moon Elven, and Gressan.
· Favored Class: Cleric. A multiclass Sun Elfs cleric class does not count when determining whether she takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing.

Wood Elves:

Appearance: Wood Elves have blonde hair, green eyes, and slightly tanned skin. Those that have some human blood in them often have red or brown hair, different colored eyes, and different skin colors. Wood Elves occaisionally undergo ritual tattooing with an animal or plant pattern. Like all other elves, Wood Elves lack facial or body hair.

· +2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution.
· Elf base land speed is 30 feet.
· Weapon Proficiency: Elves receive the Martial Weapon Proficiency feats for the longsword, rapier, longbow (including composite longbow), and shortbow (including composite shortbow) as bonus feats.
· +2 racial bonus on Listen, Search, and Spot checks. An elf who merely passes within 5 feet of a secret or concealed door is entitled to a Search check to notice it as if she were actively looking for it.
· Automatic Languages: Common/Lurian and Wood Elven. Bonus Languages: Atathian, Goblin, Moon Elven, Sun Elven, and Sylvan.
· Favored Class: Ranger. A multiclass Wood Elfs ranger class does not count when determining whether she takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing.

Thanks Again!

Fireball.Man.Guy.
2006-07-24, 10:31 PM
ME WANT PLAY WOOD ELVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

geekvoid
2006-07-24, 10:40 PM
Your sun elves appear to have no drawbacks, yet you have no class adjustment. Perhaps +1?

LoopyZebra
2006-07-24, 10:52 PM
I took away the elves ability to detect hidden doors, along with their martial weapon proficiencies. To mitigate this, they lost their base stat penalty. Not sure if that still qualifies them for a LA, though. I'd prefer to keep them LA +0, though, so I'd rather take something away than increase their LA.

BelkarsDagger
2006-07-24, 10:57 PM
Uh, not to sound like an ass, but does the world really *need* more elves?

LoopyZebra
2006-07-24, 11:31 PM
It's okay, OZ, I feel your pain. But, since there are only five elven subraces in my world, I think it still seems reasonable. It's not like I'm also going to allow every published supplement elf in addition to these (or any published supplement elf, for that matter).