PDA

View Full Version : Unforgotten Realms

Szilard
2009-06-14, 07:27 PM
So, who watches it?

Assassin89
2009-06-14, 07:36 PM
I watch it on the Escapist, but some of the concepts are quite funny.

Having a monocle = being a wizard
Lumberjacks are a class
Timmy the Evil is more like Timmy the annoying

KBF
2009-06-14, 07:41 PM
It seems really amateur and has some pacing problems, but I can't help but enjoy it. I mean, dual-nunchuck wielding Abraham Lincoln. Who was obviously the greatest sorcerer of all time.

Prime32
2009-06-14, 07:45 PM
I liked season 0 better - Rob and Mike have practically switched personalities by now, and it can't really decide whether it wants to be funny or serious (yes, it's very possible to be both, but the two halves feel sewn together awkwardly). Also, the SFX don't really fit the art style.

Oh, and he sometimes introduces plot holes just to screw with fans. :confused:

HOWEVER! This (http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/377178) is a work of genius. :smallbiggrin:

Rowsen
2009-06-14, 07:47 PM
I'm personally a big fan of the credits music :smallwink:

Prime32
2009-06-14, 07:54 PM
I'm personally a big fan of the credits music :smallwink:The second half of season 0 had a rock version. :smallfrown:

EDIT: If you don't know what season 0 is, it's the episodes that were on Newgrounds (http://www.newgrounds.com/collection/unforgottenrealms).

Ziren
2009-06-15, 12:04 AM
I liked it at first, but I get the feeling that the series gets worse and worse. I haven't found myself laughing or even smiling at it for at least the last four episodes. If it goes on like this, I'll pass on it in the future and will only go to the Escapist for Doomsday Arcade and There Will Be Brawl.

Shades of Gray
2009-06-15, 12:21 AM
I feel that the earlier episodes were definitely the best. The best in the series being "the well".

chiasaur11
2009-06-15, 12:35 AM
I liked it at first, but I get the feeling that the series gets worse and worse. I haven't found myself laughing or even smiling at it for at least the last four episodes. If it goes on like this, I'll pass on it in the future and will only go to the Escapist for Doomsday Arcade and There Will Be Brawl.

You read the Shamus Young stuff?

Generally it's interesting.

Ziren
2009-06-15, 01:28 AM
You read the Shamus Young stuff?

Generally it's interesting.

Yeah, I meant for video goodness. For columns I read Experienced Points, The Hard Problem and Going Gold.

Kobold-Bard
2009-06-17, 05:22 AM
I watched the first couple of episodes, but it never really grabbed me. I don't know why, but I watched it and just felt it was a bit, meh (sorry, I'm failing and vocabulary lately).

Swordlol
2009-06-18, 09:12 PM
Him video taping the answering of his e-mails is just pure humor.

Shows you how dumb 99% of World of Warcraft players are.

Disclaimer: I play World of Warcraft.

hustlertwo
2009-06-19, 02:11 PM
I watched the first four or five episodes. It was slightly amusing, but fell short compared to other video series on The Escapist. Plus, the voices were annoying to an extreme degree.

Prime32
2009-06-19, 02:19 PM
Try season zero (http://www.newgrounds.com/collection/unforgottenrealms) then.

Tempest Fennac
2009-06-20, 06:47 AM
I prefered it early on due to how funny it was, but I don't mind the plot getting more serious. My issues with the series are the DM insisting on saying "Ogre sounds" rather then describing them, Kobolds inserting the word "Kobold" into every sentance, Timmy the Evil and Professer Walruses horrendous dialogue and evil laughter, and Timmy's voice in general). Regarding the idea that Lumberjacks aren't a class, Rob could have used a Ranger with a Battleaxe for the purpose of playing as one.

J.B. Ganning
2009-06-20, 07:02 AM
Mmmm, I used to like it. Even talked with Nathan Allen Pinard (music) and Maelstrom (a moderator of the forum, and possibly a voice in the show) on msn every once in a while. They were cool. I left their forum due to boredom of the new material, the lack of an interesting community, and one of the moderators being too cynical for his own good. The moderator in question had an avatar of that cube from Portal; I forgot their name.

That must have been a year ago by now... Maybe two.

P.S. The show lost it's flare.

Prime32
2009-06-20, 07:52 AM
Maelstrom (a moderator of the forum, and possibly a voice in the show)Nah, it's one guy doing all the voices. Except for that Christmas Special, which had a character voiced by Rina-chan.

Fredthefighter
2009-06-20, 07:59 AM
I watch it and I love it. Awesome stuff.

I'm waiting to see whether/when the U-Realms MMORPG comes out (I read about it on the UR forums back when I was a member).

I miss the days when Johnny Vorez (I hope I spelt his last name right) did the voice of Mike and Eluamous.

hustlertwo
2009-06-20, 08:29 AM
Mmmm, I used to like it. Even talked with Nathan Allen Pinard (music) and Maelstrom (a moderator of the forum, and possibly a voice in the show) on msn every once in a while. They were cool. I left their forum due to boredom of the new material, the lack of an interesting community, and one of the moderators being too cynical for his own good. The moderator in question had an avatar of that cube from Portal; I forgot their name.

The Weighted Companion Cube?

Erloas
2009-06-20, 09:59 AM
I prefered it early on due to how funny it was, but I don't mind the plot getting more serious. My issues with the series are the DM insisting on saying "Ogre sounds" rather then describing them, Kobolds inserting the word "Kobold" into every sentance, Timmy the Evil and Professer Walruses horrendous dialogue and evil laughter, and Timmy's voice in general). Regarding the idea that Lumberjacks aren't a class, Rob could have used a Ranger with a Battleaxe for the purpose of playing as one.

It sounds like you simply missed the point.
Short Version: You seem to have missed that it is a parody.

Long Version: I find "Ogre sounds" the funniest and most fitting sound for an ogre to make. Of course its silly, but it was never ment to be serious. The same thing with the kobolds. As for Timmy the Evil and Professor Walrus, that is the whole point. They are supposed to be over-the-top, they are a parody of evil specifically taken a step too far.
The whole point of the lumberjack was simply that was what he wanted to be have no idea about the game, it wasn't that you could build a class that was similar, that wasn't the point.

Tempest Fennac
2009-06-20, 10:22 AM
I know it's a parody. I still find those things to be irritating (admittedly, Mike is a good example of how not to DM, which is useful for me).

Flickerdart
2009-06-20, 11:33 AM

Seems quite like a tall order to leave a community over. :smallconfused:

Though, yes, the new series have decreased in quality. A few parts here and there make me chuckle though (why does a weasel thing need a flintlock pistol? why not?).

Moff Chumley
2009-06-20, 01:46 PM
I never liked it...

Except for the Nunchuck Sorcerer Abraham Lincoln.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2009-06-20, 03:07 PM
The original series was and still is awesome, but the new series has just not really been funny at all, except for the occasional smile. His problem is that he tried to make his series serious and story-driven, and failed miserably because he can't seem to effectively blend story and comedy.

In summary, go watch the originals and wish he'd just continued doing those.

J.B. Ganning
2009-06-22, 09:28 AM
Seems quite like a tall order to leave a community over. :smallconfused:

Though, yes, the new series have decreased in quality. A few parts here and there make me chuckle though (why does a weasel thing need a flintlock pistol? why not?).

Yeah, the occasional chuckle will always be there, but it's never motivation for me to watch it again. It's kind of like the Simpsons for me. It got old (in this case much faster) after the main jokes became overused. As well, the animation doesn't flow very well even for what it is.

And I forgot about Johnny. Talked with him once or twice. Nice guy. Rob's a bit of an ass, but he's okay. I wish he paid more attention in English class, or at least tried going to/back to college/university. His show could have been better that way.

Flickerdart
2009-06-22, 09:38 AM
And I forgot about Johnny. Talked with him once or twice. Nice guy. Rob's a bit of an ass, but he's okay. I wish he paid more attention in English class, or at least tried going to/back to college/university. His show could have been better that way.
He didn't finish high school, actually, which should explain a lot. Yeah, I know the fellow pretty well, though I hardly ever talk to him or his fiancee anymore.

Stormthorn
2009-06-22, 10:18 AM
I just wish he would get some voice actors. He cant do enough seperate voices for all the characters so a lot of them sound the same.

The Gremlin
2009-06-30, 01:15 PM
It seems really amateur and has some pacing problems, but I can't help but enjoy it. I mean, dual-nunchuck wielding Abraham Lincoln. Who was obviously the greatest sorcerer of all time.

HE DOESN'T WIELD NUNCHUKS! A guy who looks like him does, but his name is Sir Shmoopy! The real Abraham Lincoln isn't as class-confused.
Yep, awesomesauce comic. Definitely the funniest thing ever. :smallcool:
EDIT: Also, the comic hasn't deteriorated a bit, and anybody who says it has is lookin' for a fight. :smallamused:

The original series was and still is awesome, but the new series has just not really been funny at all, except for the occasional smile. His problem is that he tried to make his series serious and story-driven, and failed miserably because he can't seem to effectively blend story and comedy.

In summary, go watch the originals and wish he'd just continued doing those.
Clearly, you completely misunderstood the entire cartoon, then. He never tried to make it serious. He'd make us think it was getting serious, then reveal that it really wasn't. At all. The Abraham Lincoln thing, with the Judge, that's an example. So is the attack of the Groundbold Assassin. And Shnoopy's attempted explosion of the ship.
And come on, you're telling me that the idea of the group of commoners eating a dead rat isn't funny? Or the awful idea to have the groundbold 'kill them in their sleep. With a gun.'? Or the renaming of Douglas Whinechester?

Lord Loss
2009-06-30, 07:19 PM
The Old ones (Season 0) = Good Stuff

New Stuff = Meh.

But I like it... SIR SHMOOPY! THE SHURIKEN WEILDING SORCERER!

PETEY!

Quotes:

Run for the hills, sir shmoopy: ... classical...

How could this possibly get any worse... :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

Tempest Fennac
2009-07-03, 12:45 AM
I'm kind of confused about how things work with that guy who failed to exist due to believing in nothing. I'm sad that the Groundbold Assasin wasn't in the latest cartoon as well.:smallfrown: (He's really cute.)

Flickerdart
2009-07-03, 11:46 AM
Yes, the new episode is quite random. I'd say Rob was making fun of convoluted premises like that, but it's not quite enough to make me believe that. The French test thing, though, was hilarious.

littlequietguy
2009-07-03, 01:55 PM
Oots Unforgotten realms crossover fanfiction.

It would be cool if it existed but it does not. Yet

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2009-07-04, 04:35 PM
Clearly, you completely misunderstood the entire cartoon, then. He never tried to make it serious. He'd make us think it was getting serious, then reveal that it really wasn't. At all. The Abraham Lincoln thing, with the Judge, that's an example. So is the attack of the Groundbold Assassin. And Shnoopy's attempted explosion of the ship.
And come on, you're telling me that the idea of the group of commoners eating a dead rat isn't funny? Or the awful idea to have the groundbold 'kill them in their sleep. With a gun.'? Or the renaming of Douglas Whinechester?[/QUOTE]

Clearly, you completely misunderstood my point, then. Yes he still has comedy but it's not the brilliant comedy it used to be anymore, at least partly due to the presence of a story. He's changed it into a fantasy comedy rather than the D&D comedy it was before and it just doesn't work IMO.

The Abraham Lincoln thing actually got my hopes up that Rob and Mike were going to be Rob and Mike again (just watch that episode again. It was the first time in ages that Rob had given up roleplaying and just made up stuff like he used to in the good series) but it didn't happen. That's half of the problem; due to things like that I know he still has potential but he seems to think it's beneath him because he couldn't animate that well back in series 0 or something like that. He gets my hopes up and then dashes them on the rocks. Metaphorically; I'm not a boat.

The Gremlin
2009-07-05, 12:13 PM
And come on, you're telling me that the idea of the group of commoners eating a dead rat isn't funny? Or the awful idea to have the groundbold 'kill them in their sleep. With a gun.'? Or the renaming of Douglas Whinechester?

Clearly, you completely misunderstood my point, then. Yes he still has comedy but it's not the brilliant comedy it used to be anymore, at least partly due to the presence of a story. He's changed it into a fantasy comedy rather than the D&D comedy it was before and it just doesn't work IMO.

The Abraham Lincoln thing actually got my hopes up that Rob and Mike were going to be Rob and Mike again (just watch that episode again. It was the first time in ages that Rob had given up roleplaying and just made up stuff like he used to in the good series) but it didn't happen. That's half of the problem; due to things like that I know he still has potential but he seems to think it's beneath him because he couldn't animate that well back in series 0 or something like that. He gets my hopes up and then dashes them on the rocks. Metaphorically; I'm not a boat.[/QUOTE]

Well, if you're so averse to story that you believe that any of it will ruin comedy, then I'm afraid I can't help you.:smallannoyed:

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2009-07-05, 02:56 PM
Well, if you're so averse to story that you believe that any of it will ruin comedy, then I'm afraid I can't help you.:smallannoyed:

He's just not good at using the story and the humour together. Story is not his strong point, and he is more effective when he focuses on the humour. Have I made myself clear now?

Milskidasith
2009-07-05, 03:14 PM
I got put out when he started whining on the Escapist forums about how bad it was that his fans asked about plot holes or said "It isn't as funny as before" or "where is the plot?" Not to mention, that's around the time the show started being far less funny.

The Gremlin
2009-07-06, 12:21 PM
I got put out when he started whining on the Escapist forums about how bad it was that his fans asked about plot holes or said "It isn't as funny as before" or "where is the plot?" Not to mention, that's around the time the show started being far less funny.

I fail to see how it is less funny. I laugh every episode. :smallannoyed:

T-O-E
2009-07-06, 12:55 PM
It's almost as if humour is subjective.
:smalltongue:

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2009-07-07, 10:56 AM
It's almost as if humour is subjective.
:smalltongue:

HAHA WIN *high five*

Humour is subjective indeed :smallwink:.