PDA

View Full Version : Sapper/ combat Engineer base class? PEACH

Dewey
2006-07-23, 09:28 PM
I just had this idea for a new base class, the Sapper. heres what I thought of so far( new ideas are Very welcome):
Hit Die d8

weapon proficiencys: simple + axes + picks

abilities related to traps( finding, disabling, and setting)

progessing bonus to Knowledge(architecture/ engineering) and Profession (Siege Engineer)

good Ref save, so-so Fort, bad Will

so-so BAB progression, What do you think?

Artisan
2006-07-23, 09:35 PM
So, you're basically going for a sort of martial rogue, right? I would go for an average BAB progression, but I'm no expert on the subject. As for other abilities...

Trap Sense/Finding looks good

The bonus to the knowledges and profession feels right.

Perhaps some sort of bonus to fighting underground or in cramped conditions? Or...maybe the ability to squeeze into smaller gaps than they normally would? I know those are tailored to underground work, but If eel they would fit

Dewey
2006-07-23, 09:39 PM
Maybe you are thinking of Sappers in the original sense( guys who dug under walls in sieges), but i had envisioned somthing morre like a modern combat engineer. cool idea though, maybe a bonus to escape artist checks?

Artisan
2006-07-23, 09:44 PM
Not feeling the Escape Artist, sorry...

Hmmm..in that case, how about something like a a way to fast-craft/disable traps? Halving the time, perhaps? Sorry you didn't like my ideas - I just got the image of dwarven sappers delving into dungeons

Lord Iames Osari
2006-07-24, 11:26 AM
Maybe this should be a PrC. You could do something very similar with a rogue/fighter multiclass build, or with a straight artificer.