PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf Variant (PEACH)

Avenger337
2006-07-23, 02:26 AM
So, for the campaign I ran this summer, I tried do shift around some of the common stereotypes about the different races -- specifically, I wanted dwarves that weren't your standard "burly fighter with a big beard." So I created something much more similar to a vicious little halfling; the only trouble was that it was somewhat overpowered; after running the campaign, I think it probably deserved a +1 LA. So, for my next campaign, I'm revamping them, and making them (hopefully) a little bit more balanced; I thought I'd post them here to see what people thought. Any comments are welcome!

Deep in the caverns below the world live a small race of vicious, ferocious creatures called dwarves. Delving deep and wide, these small creatures have adapted well to the regions of darkness and its denizens, with small claws, sharp teeth, and a ferocious personality to top it off.

The Dwarf (first version)
+2 Dex
-2 Cha
Small size: +1 AC, +1 Attack, +4 Hide, use small weapons, load is 3/4 medium
Speed: 40 ft
Darkvision 120 ft
Natural Attacks: 2 claws at 1d6 at full base attack
Light aversion: -4 to Con whenever in direct sunlight
Stonecunning (as DnD dwarves)
Dwarven weapon familiarity
+2 saves vs. poison
+2 to climb and jump
+1 attacks vs. orcs/goblinoids
+4 dodge vs. giants
+2 bonus to appraise stone/metal
+2 craft bonus to stone/metal
Languages: Common, Dwarven; Bonus: giant, goblin, orc, undercommon

The Dwarf (second version)
+2 Dex
-2 Str
Small size: +1 AC, +1 attack, +4 hide, use small weapons, load is 3/4 medium
Speed: 30 ft, burrow 10 ft
Darkvision 120 ft
Natural Attacks: 2 claws for 1d4
Racial Agorophobia: Whenever a dwarf is in a large open space outdoors, he suffers -2 to attacks, saves, and skill checks
Weapon Familiarity: Dwarves may treat the double sword as a martial weapon rather than exotic
+1 racial bonus to attack rolls made against any creature whose natural habitat is underground
+2 bonus to appraise stone/metal
+2 craft bonus to stone/metal
Languages: Common, Dwarven, Undercommon

Thoughts?

Brickwall
2006-07-23, 02:40 AM
Aside from the strange weapon proficiency, I like the second one better.

Avenger337
2006-07-23, 02:45 AM
Right, I was picturing armies of small dwarves marching through caverns all wielding double swords. I thought it was a cool image, but that's just me.

Does the second one seem balanced enough to have no level adjustment?

Brickwall
2006-07-23, 02:50 AM
The +2 bonuses to appraise/craft stone/metal I think are already part of stonecunning. Change languages to
Common or Undercommon, Dwarf
Give them back their save vs poison
Add the orc's Light Sensitivity (-1 to many checks made in sunlight or bright light).
You may also want to work in a -2 Cha and another bonus (Con?), simply because they're ugly little things.

MrSeth
2006-07-23, 10:57 AM
I think that both the agoraphobia AND the light sensitivity would be overkill. You couldn't take him topside unless it was night, and even then he'd be freaking out... no, that's nerfing the guy too much.

Second, I kinda like the weapon proficiency. No one uses double swords, this kinda gives them a reason to try.

Brickwall
2006-07-23, 11:03 AM
Why not just let them use, oh, say, dwarven urgoshes? Just because a weapon is underused doesn't mean you have to encourage people to use it. Maybe it's a bad weapon or something? Too much feat investment, not enough payoff?

Hurlbut
2006-07-23, 11:18 AM
I think that both the agoraphobia AND the light sensitivity would be overkill. You couldn't take him topside unless it was night, and even then he'd be freaking out... no, that's nerfing the guy too much.

I would say keep light sensitivity, he just need to check out Deep Dwarves for inspiration.

Avenger337
2006-07-23, 02:01 PM
Why not just let them use, oh, say, dwarven urgoshes? Just because a weapon is underused doesn't mean you have to encourage people to use it. Maybe it's a bad weapon or something? Too much feat investment, not enough payoff?

Because the point of designing the race in the first place was to steer away from common dwarven stereotypes like "He uses a big axe-looking thing."

endoperez
2006-07-23, 03:09 PM
Because the point of designing the race in the first place was to steer away from common dwarven stereotypes like "He uses a big axe-looking thing."

I wish I could find the picture of a deformed snail, with a single horn on its head, titled something along the lines of "Look, I'm a cute and beautiful unicorn!" I once saw in Elfwood.

If you want to do different dwarves, make them different but keep them dwarves. If you want to do something that has something in common with the dwarves of basic D&D but that are mostly different, call them something else, and put in a few nods to the common dwarves to show your players that these are your version.

The dwarves (alfar or svartalfar) of ancient Scandinavian lore were magical creatures and the best craftsmen of the worlds. I don't remember if they had any powers of illusion, but they are closer to Gnomes than to Dwarves. I think most of us still wouldn't rename gnomes Dwarves. They could be named Alfar (or Svartalfar), but not dwarves. These creatures of yours are too far from the typical dwarves to be known to the players as dwarves. They could be called dwarves, by their own race and by all the others, but OOC the players should have some other name they could use. "I play a custom underground-dwelling race in this D&D campaign." works better. 'Custom underground-dwelling race' can be replaced by a fictive name for the race, but not by 'dwarf'. "I play a dwarf in this strange D&D campaign" gives wrong picture of the character.

Umbral_Arcanist
2006-07-23, 03:29 PM
First one is quite overpowered (40 ft speed AND small!!)

Second one is fine IMO, i'd allow it

Avenger337
2006-07-23, 03:56 PM
One other idea I just had, I dunno if this would make them too overpowered or not, but possibly give them spell resistance of 8 or 10 or something?

Just an idea, don't know if I'll do it or not.

Umbral_Arcanist
2006-07-23, 04:03 PM
SR of 8 ot 10 would kinda be pointless, it would very rarely stop a spell, if your intention is to show a resilience to magic then give them a bonus on saves vs spells, like DnD dwarves

Starbuck_II
2006-07-23, 08:28 PM
SR of 8 ot 10 would kinda be pointless, it would very rarely stop a spell, if your intention is to show a resilience to magic then give them a bonus on saves vs spells, like DnD dwarves
Actually SR 10, it would stop spells: 45% of time at level 1.
Level 2: 40% of time. Level 3: 35% of time. Level 4: 30% of time. Level 5: 25% of time. Level 6: 20% of time. Level 7: 15% of time. Level 8: 10% of time. Level 9: 5% of time.
But level 10 and on, it is worthless.

But 10 levels, ithas an effect.

Toliudar
2006-07-23, 09:29 PM
Since dwarves are (at least on these boards) considered a strong PC race, let's look at how your +0LA variant shakes down:

Advantages:
The stat trade-off is generally worse for most classes (but makes the strong candidates for sorcerers)
Speed is +10, and with a second move type
Darkvision is better than any +1LA race I can think of.
+1 attack bonus is really broad, and kind of nebulous.
Multiple bonus languages.

Disadvantages:
Racial disadvantage is poorly defined: what's a "large open space"? How about: "When outdoors"?
Loses sturdy (kind of irrelevant, given that you've upped the speed)

Which leads me to: if I were given the choice of playing a dwarf or this new variant, why would I ever choose the existing dwarf, unless I was focused on strength?

So, yeah, better than any +0 I can think of. You've got the makings of a truly kickass sorcerer or bard build there. How about:
Limit darkvision to 60 feet
restrict attack bonus to a creature type, so that the DM never has to have the "but they live underground SOMETIMES" conversation with you.
Lose the burrow ability
Call it something other than a "dwarf". Alfar or Svartalfar might be perfect for what you're describing.

Serpentine
2006-07-24, 04:07 AM
Racial Agorophobia: Whenever a dwarf is in a large open space outdoors, he suffers -2 to attacks, saves, and skill checks
I like this, think its a good idea. To factor in some light sensitivity, how about an added penalty to spot checks?

Meh, but it was meh already anyway.

+1 racial bonus to attack rolls made against any creature whose natural habitat is underground
Why? Above-ground races don't get bonuses against above-ground creatures. Far too broad, I think.
Interesting idea, and I can see what you're trying for, I think. I'm inclined to agree with the calls to change the name, but I suppose you could just make them a subrace, along the lines of the Deep Dwarves.