PDA

View Full Version : Girls and Horses...

Kekken
2009-06-15, 03:36 AM
One of the most prevalent (and, I think) still existing stereotypes is that little girls and even a lot of older girls and women love ponies and horses.

I would like to know how true this stereotype is, if at all, and if so, why? What is it about horses that is so fascinating? And please don't tell me its Freudian...

And if its not true at all, then how did the stereotype start? Does anyone know when it first manifested itself in art or literature?

TSED
2009-06-15, 03:54 AM
Entirely unfounded theory, but I suspect it has something to do with the whole "knight in shining armour" / "knights ride horses" correlation.

I have nothing to back it up, though. Not a girl, and don't like horses.

Comet
2009-06-15, 04:29 AM
I bet it's because riding lets the girls be above us males. The taller the horse, the happier the girl.
Those ladies can be such snobs, I tell you.
:smalltongue:

bosssmiley
2009-06-15, 04:54 AM
It's not Freudian; it's outright sexual. The movement of a running horse stimulates the girlybits in - what I'm told - is a very pleasant way.

The sex thing aside, there's also the aesthetics of the animal. Horses, with their big brown eyes, long hair, elegant physique, and (usually) docile temperament, are nice to look at and be around. They are far more aesthetically pleasing to look at than cows or sheep, and are generally not involved in the grimier parts of rural life (fattening and slaughtering for meat).

There are also the socio-cultural associations of equestrianism. Horses are an expensive status symbol that require endless care, expense, and fussing over, and can be used to establish pecking order and bragging rights in your own peer group (look at how insanely competitive and bitchy the world of pony club gymkhanas can be (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article2827517.ece) :smalleek: ).

Finally there's the 'power and control' element. Having half-a-ton of speeding muscle under your precise and delicate control is a massively empowering feeling. In a lot of pre-modern cultures that's the only exercise of power and dominance a young girl would have been allowed. You can see how that would be a little intoxicating...

So, yeah. Horses; the quintessential girly fantasy animal. :smalltongue:

The origin of the horsey girl thing? That probably goes back to medieval courtly love. The ideal of female grace taming wildness mixed with the equestrianism culture of medieval Europe. Again, at base it's all about sex.

(side note: in the Classical world women were expected to travel by carriage or litter. Riding was strictly a masculine pursuit and infra dig for true ladies. Net result: no girly horsey culture)

Quincunx
2009-06-15, 05:42 AM
I still stand by the theory that the horse-lovers' gene is one of those most easily corrupted into a computer-lovers' gene. There was some blast of radiation, or possibly electromagnetic interference, that turned children of respectable yet horse-mad families into computer geeks. (At least, this is the best theory anyone's come up with to explain how geeks cropped up in moneyed rural families. In proper farm families it's just a transferrence of the "tinker with the doohickey until it works" inclination.)

The horse-mad female exists but not nearly to the extent that merchandising would have you believe. Marketing is straining to find interests that they can market to girls with an implicit guarantee that boys won't also be swarming into that interest and drowning out the girls--well, actually, no they're not, they're just flooding the market with the few interests which already seem to fit the bill.

My mother and my mother-in-law are both in the horse-mad demographic, although with different approaches. My mother grew up when Westerns were insanely popular movies and owned cowboy toys and miniature Western-style saddles; my mother-in-law follows sulky races and once had partial ownership in a racing horse. Both of them were at their happiest mucking out stables and bringing treats to the horses; neither of them would be interested in the 'dressage and gymkhanas' image of horse ownership which is marketed.

Decoy Lockbox
2009-06-15, 06:06 AM
Long ago when I was in elementary school, most of the girls were in a clique that they called "the herd". They would gallop and canter around the playground making horse noises while everyone else sorta stared at them like this: :smallconfused:

Crazy as hell, y'all.

H. Zee
2009-06-15, 06:33 AM
Long ago when I was in elementary school, most of the girls were in a clique that they called "the herd". They would gallop and canter around the playground making horse noises while everyone else sorta stared at them like this: :smallconfused:

Crazy as hell, y'all.

Did you live near some kind of nuclear power plant? :smallconfused:

Starscream
2009-06-15, 07:34 AM
I avoided clicking on this thread because I got entirely the wrong idea when I saw the title.

Finn Solomon
2009-06-15, 08:05 AM
Oh, great. I'm not the only one then. :smallredface:

Incidentally I was thinking of Bad Horse when I clicked the thread.

raitalin
2009-06-15, 08:11 AM
While girls might love ponies more, I thought the love of horses was common among both sexes in America.

Historically Americans have loved horses for the same reason we love care, because they symbolize freedom.

Maybe that's why they continue to appeal to females, as the oppressed sex.

Avilan the Grey
2009-06-15, 08:24 AM
My sister was (is) a horse-girl.

What I find the oddest (and saddest) is that just like with "professional" cooking, a majority of the "hobby" is women, but the vast majority of the "elite" are men (look at the international show-jumping circuit. However it's far more women there now than when I was forced to follow the competitions as a kid (prot-horse-girl mom, horse-girl sister, only two channels on TV).

Anyway, I think it has to do with a lot of factors combined, such as:

Interest in animals

Already existing outlets (riding academies, etc)

Friends with the same interest

Lack of interests that compete (pre-boys) (a boy loving animals might get a dog, and still work on his motorcycle / moped. Or computer, these days)

Personally I think it is a brilliant hobby, it teaches responsibility, promotes health (anyone trying to ride for more than a few minutes will notice that both your legs and your back contains muscles you never knew existed), although I never got into it (being the boy, I combined my love of animals with a computer, and got Sims :smallbiggrin:; Seriously I combined it with gerbils and aquariums, but anyway).

Mauve Shirt
2009-06-15, 08:38 AM
My mother is a crazy horse lady. I think she likes them because they are big and cute, with weird eyeballs and rocks on their feet. Ok, that's not true, she really enjoys riding and is really good at it. Got second place in a show on Saturday, actually. Second because she was riding a horse that is really good at jumping but not very fast.
I am not a horse person, I think they are really too big, and they have weird eyeballs and rocks on their feet.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-06-15, 08:42 AM
Riding horses is fun.

People like to do fun things.

Therefore, people (such as girl) like to ride horses.

kamikasei
2009-06-15, 08:50 AM
Riding horses is fun.

People like to do fun things.

Therefore, people (such as girl) like to ride horses.

The OP's question was clearly about a) why girls are supposed to like horses more than boys do, and b) why they are supposed to like horses more than other "fun things".

It's a rather strained reading to think he was asking, "why do any girls anywhere like to ride horses?".

Coidzor
2009-06-15, 08:57 AM
Sexual symbolism of some sort? :smallconfused: (Personally, I'm of the opinion it has something to do with an idealized male figure...)

I'm not sure why you're so keen reject that out of hand. ...Especially since you're asking about it in light of a difference between the sexes.

And I'm not quite sure how much of it seems to be that people think they're supposed to like 'em more than they actually like 'em.

Though since we're looking at things that winnow out the male sex... There's the fact that it's built up as a "girly" thing to be concerned with the horse itself and to "like horses" rather than viewing the horse as a means to an end (say, for riding to chase down injuns to fight). It's also like one of those things where it's ok for a boy to like dogs but weird for him to say he likes dogs, whereas it's not weird for a girl to say she likes horses... and ok for boy to say he likes activities but to a lesser extent for girls (this has changed and is changing still due to various influences) So activity versus objects/animals...

It's considered feminine to have compassion for animals...

It's the least stressful of the acceptable ways to lose one's virginity.

I still stand by the theory that the horse-lovers' gene is one of those most easily corrupted into a computer-lovers' gene. There was some blast of radiation, or possibly electromagnetic interference, that turned children of respectable yet horse-mad families into computer geeks. (At least, this is the best theory anyone's come up with to explain how geeks cropped up in moneyed rural families. In proper farm families it's just a transferrence of the "tinker with the doohickey until it works" inclination.)

Easy enough to change an "easily obsessed with things, only acceptable outlet is X" to "easily obsessed with things, partially acceptable outlets are now more numerous than solely X"

Crixon
2009-06-15, 09:04 AM
Well for me, i just feel closer to horses then i do people, they surely listen better then almost every person i know! I mean my own horse just knows what im wanting by me looking at him, most people will wonder why your staring at them :P but i grew up on horse stories from my mom, who told me alot of stories from when she was young so i suppose it kicked things off for me, but i started working with my horse and things went from there,

something else is, working at the barn is relaxing, time to reduce or remove stress, and while men like playing with cars or computers and so forth, women like something that we can talk to that listens, and having big brown eyes and long flowing hair :P but as to why more women then men ride, who knows, on the trail you probably see about 1/4th the riders being men, and i dont go to shows myself so i cant say there, (im writing this on almost no sleep so things may or may not make sense, just an FYI :P)

Ziren
2009-06-15, 10:55 AM
I noticed that girls/women who are into cats seem to care less for horses. Of course this doesn't mean that girls/women who don't like cats that much are automatically horse-fans.

Not all females (I'm sick of writing girl/women all the time) are into horses, but frankly I've never seen a guy who was as obsessed over them as some females are.

Of course this is all just personal observation.

Decoy Lockbox
2009-06-15, 11:08 AM
Did you live near some kind of nuclear power plant? :smallconfused:

Huh, that would certainly explain all those weird polyps...

TheThan
2009-06-15, 11:10 AM
Funny enough, every person I know that has owned horses has been seriously injured while one them.

And I have cleaned stables before, it was hard work and definitely not relaxing, in fact it was down right backbreaking and not fun at all.

Zencao
2009-06-15, 11:23 AM
Oh, great. I'm not the only one then. :smallredface:

Incidentally I was thinking of Bad Horse when I clicked the thread.

You know what they say, all girls want bad-horses :P

My sister was (is) a horse-girl.

You're sisters half horse? :smallconfused:

Katrascythe
2009-06-15, 12:19 PM
As a girl...

Yeah horses are pretty nifty, but they're not the end all of animals or transportation. They also don't really stimulate the "girly bits." If you've sat in a saddle all day you're lucky if you can feel *anything* in that general area. I suppose some chicks like horses because they're a symbol of beauty and grace. *shrugs*

For my part, give me an Aston Martin any day. That's much more graceful and much sexier than any horse can be.

Although that makes me think... Perhaps horses are to females what cars are to males. Since I've never really seen a girl obsess over vehicles to the extent that a guy will.

MountainKing
2009-06-15, 12:28 PM
While girls might love ponies more, I thought the love of horses was common among both sexes in America.

Historically Americans have loved horses for the same reason we love care, because they symbolize freedom.

Maybe that's why they continue to appeal to females, as the oppressed sex.

Not me. I got thrown off the first horse I was introduced to. It almost put a hoof through my head. I've never trusted, let alone LIKED horses since then (so for eighteen years).

Horses: big long faces and metal feet. 100% murderous, untrustworthy monsters. :smallbiggrin:

Rutskarn
2009-06-15, 12:28 PM
As a girl...

Yeah horses are pretty nifty, but they're not the end all of animals or transportation.

Obviously, the answer to both of those is Velociraptors.

Prock
2009-06-15, 12:33 PM
I avoided clicking on this thread because I got entirely the wrong idea when I saw the title.

I got the same idea as you.. But thats why I CLICKED on this thread :smallredface:

FoE
2009-06-15, 12:34 PM
I blame My Little Pony (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Little_Pony).

Ravens_cry
2009-06-15, 12:42 PM
I think girls that like horses,especially stallions, is because they are safe masculinity. Not as threatening as a full fledged male human. After horses, they then start to go for those the next stage, boy bands, those squeaky clean man boys, where the 'bad boy' is the one with with a five o'clock shadow and/or some facial hair.
Just a theory. Not everyone complies with it, but I have seen it repeatedly. It certainly happened to my older sister.

Katrascythe
2009-06-15, 12:43 PM
Obviously, the answer to both of those is Velociraptors.

I'd probably take one of those as a mount. Ok, a larger one since V-raptors are actually tiny... Although I took a class on dinosaurs and I do have some serious reservations. They were smart little devils and in a battle of me vs them I think it's gonna be them.

Utahraptor is hawt

I think girls that like horses,especially stallions, is because they are safe masculinity. Not as threatening as a full fledged male human.

I have horrible horrible mental images now of Catherine the Great and her horses. You men aren't that scary. And I'm personally more afraid of a horse than a human. A horse can kill me more easily since with one bad fall I'm dead. One bad fall from a human and things just hurt for a few days.

TheThan
2009-06-15, 01:24 PM
There is also the phrase "hung like a horse"... wonder if that has to do with anything...

kamikasei
2009-06-15, 01:33 PM
I have horrible horrible mental images now of Catherine the Great and her horses.

Apocryphal (http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/100/is-it-true-about-catherine-the-great-and-the-horse), I feel I must note.

Kekken
2009-06-15, 02:15 PM
I'm not sure why you're so keen reject that out of hand. ...Especially since you're asking about it in light of a difference between the sexes.

My plaintive cry that it not be Freudian was supposed to be ironic, since I already had a very strong feeling that it would be...

... and I just realised how Freudian the term "very strong feeling" can be...

My fault, I guess, for not using some sort of smiley face to indicate this.

unstattedCommoner
2009-06-15, 02:33 PM
As a girl...

Yeah horses are pretty nifty, but they're not the end all of animals or transportation.

For my part, give me an Aston Martin any day. That's much more graceful and much sexier than any horse can be.

I've got a hundred horses hidden in between my wheels
But i can't put my foot down and jump the fences in the fields
Patiently waiting to get their old jobs back
Carrying the human race proudly on their backs

How easily forgotten,
How easily we're led
How hard the path is trodden
From when horsepower meant what it said

- Sandi Thom, When horsepower meant what it said

Miklus
2009-06-15, 02:36 PM
I sometimes ride my bike in this park and at least 90% of the people on horses are young female.

My personal teory is that their mothers put them up to it. Dragging a large mammal around by the nose is a skill best learned early.

I hate horses. They are big, stupid and afraid of everything. Every time I overtake one of those things, I wonder if it will kick me in the face. And they **** everywhere so I have to zig-zag.

Miklus
2009-06-15, 02:40 PM

...wut? :smallconfused:

thubby
2009-06-15, 02:47 PM
woman have a lower center of gravity, which makes it more comfortable for a woman to be in the saddle than it is for a man. (generally)

TSED
2009-06-15, 04:16 PM

Wait, WHAT?

.... Oh, way to ninja me, Miklus.

Connington
2009-06-15, 04:30 PM
It's entirely possible to break one's hymen on a horse, but I'm not aware of anyone trying that intentionally.

Mando Knight
2009-06-15, 04:33 PM
A broken hymen is occasionally considered a sign of a girl/woman losing her virginity (since it happens when... you fit the tab into the slot). However, it can also be broken by various forms of physical activity, such as horseback riding.

However, due to that, it isn't exactly a perfect method of telling whether a woman is a virgin or not...

Miyako
2009-06-15, 04:46 PM
Straddling things feels dirty.

Faulty
2009-06-15, 05:56 PM
Well, horses are pretty hung.

Cheesegear
2009-06-15, 09:00 PM
My sister is most definitely a horse girl. So much so, that her old room is covered in pictures of horses and pegasi.

She even moved to the US and now lives on a Buffalo ranch to be a horseback-riding camping-adventure tour-guide... Or something. Anyway, she rides horses for a living. I presume that she loves horses so much because where we grew up there was a horseback-riding club. Most little girls who love ponies will never, realistically come into contact with any horse, ever. And, as such, they grow out of it.

However, like I said; We grew up a kilometre or so away from a stable. Cue my sister learning how to ride a horse. And, when I drive past the stable these days, yeah, most of the patrons there are girls.

That reminds me, I should probably call her one of these days. See how she is. :smallfrown:

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-06-15, 09:10 PM
The OP's question was clearly about a) why girls are supposed to like horses more than boys do, and b) why they are supposed to like horses more than other "fun things".

Since when do girls like horses more than boys do?

Coidzor
2009-06-15, 09:38 PM
Wait, WHAT?

.... Oh, way to ninja me, Miklus.

The others being jump rope (competitive amongst young girls and apparently has quite the vicious culture attached to its performance), team sports (I don't think you need me to tell you why this is stressful), the marriage bed(I really don't wanna go into why this is stressful), and physical training (that's just got stress written all over it in several different flavors)

Rutskarn
2009-06-15, 09:44 PM

Pretty much always, in my experience.

Sholos
2009-06-15, 10:43 PM
It's entirely possible to break one's hymen on a horse, but I'm not aware of anyone trying that intentionally.
A broken hymen doesn't mean lost virginity. Hymen != virginity.

The others being jump rope (competitive amongst young girls and apparently has quite the vicious culture attached to its performance), team sports (I don't think you need me to tell you why this is stressful), the marriage bed(I really don't wanna go into why this is stressful), and physical training (that's just got stress written all over it in several different flavors)

Unless you're saying that jump rope, team sports, physical training, and horse riding all include sex as an essential part of their activities, I'd say that none of those are a way to lose your virginity. Also, see my response to the previous quote.

TSED
2009-06-15, 11:26 PM
So going to bed when you're married doesn't involve sex?

Man, the stereotypes ARE true - the ring means no hanky!

Coidzor
2009-06-16, 02:17 AM
So going to bed when you're married doesn't involve sex?

Man, the stereotypes ARE true - the ring means no hanky!

Well, actually, the marriage bed bit was left out of the rebuttal.

I'm afraid we'll just have to agree to disagree on this point, since I'm favoring Rule of Funny and you're following Rule of Definition. Then again, I'm not likely to be sacrificing a virgin anytime soon, so, y'know.

*ahem* Horses. What more can be said? I eagerly await new light on the subject.

Teron
2009-06-16, 02:52 AM
Since "cavalry" started meaning tanks, I think. Horses were a lot more interesting from the (stereo)typical male perspective when riding was a warrior's skill.

Oslecamo
2009-06-16, 12:28 PM
Since "cavalry" started meaning tanks, I think. Horses were a lot more interesting from the (stereo)typical male perspective when riding was a warrior's skill.

Times do change...Many of the horse acrobacies we see nowadays in circus are based in martial exercises mounted soldiers practised to make sure they would stay on the saddle on the middle of the fight.

In some asian countries you could even get executed if you weren't able to perform some crazy things while in your horse.

Telonius
2009-06-16, 01:02 PM
The toy industry has a lot to do with reinforcing it. You don't see "Horse Warriors!" marketed to boys. He-Man figures didn't come with horses, but She-Ra figures did. My Little Pony just sealed the deal.

I do think that the disappearance of horses from the military has a lot to do with that. There are really only a couple of (what's commonly considered as) "manly" things that horses are still used for, at least in the US: rodeos and horseracing. Both of those are either only regionally popular (rodeos in the rural areas) or appealing only to a subset of the general population (gamblers for horseracing). And of those two, horseracing jockeys aren't generally the epitome of macho guys. So, you only have rodeos to appeal to the sense of manliness. If you're a marketing exec, you're probably just not going to want to take the trouble.

Avilan the Grey
2009-06-16, 03:21 PM
A broken hymen doesn't mean lost virginity. Hymen != virginity.

Not to mention that the hymen, as most people think of it, is a myth (it does not exist).

Sholos
2009-06-17, 01:24 PM
Not to mention that the hymen, as most people think of it, is a myth (it does not exist).

Um, what? You mean the flap of skin a few inches inside the vagina? I'm pretty sure it exists. You'll have to explain what you think most people think of, because there's definitely something there in most females for some period of time.

Avilan the Grey
2009-06-17, 01:44 PM
Um, what? You mean the flap of skin a few inches inside the vagina? I'm pretty sure it exists. You'll have to explain what you think most people think of, because there's definitely something there in most females for some period of time.

Oh yes there is something, as you put it. But the traditional myth of the "membrane" that needs to be bursted is just a myth. Besides, there is a certain percent of women that don't even have the "flap" to begin with.

ThunderCat
2009-06-17, 03:23 PM
I think it has something to do with horseback riding being one of the first 'masculine' fields open to women, especially after horses were replaced by machines. There seems to be a tendency for women in our culture to take over once men are no longer interested in claiming something for themselves. The same happened to videogames. Of course, some people will still insist that Tetris, Bejewelled, and other puzzle games which girls play more than boys today, aren't 'real' videogames, but they sure as hell were when boys played them (in fact, it seems to be the prevalence of more boys playing games like Pac-Man and Tetris that first gave rise to the stereotype that girls don't play videogames).

Other reasons have already been mentioned, such as the image of chivalry and fairytales, the element of control (boys generally seem more impressed by the thought of killing large animals, while girls seem to be fascinated by the thought of taming them), that it's more acceptable for girls to like animals, and toy manufacturers trying as hard as they can to market horses to girls. Besides, sometimes a trend simply continues because it's a trend, that is, girls get into horses because the females around them are into horses, and end up inspiring other females to get into horses in return.

Illiterate Scribe
2009-06-17, 04:30 PM
My mother hates horses, on account on having a plate sized bit of skin bitten off by one as a girl.

I obviously can't speak for slightly under half of the world's population, (https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/) but horses horrify me. Those bulging veins ... they look half mad.

Moff Chumley
2009-06-17, 08:00 PM
As to how the hymen connects to virginity, for a while in the middle ages, after wedding night, if there wasn't blood on the sheets, the whole thing could possibly be called off. :smalleek:

I'm not saying it's right or accurate, but it explains 1) the modern connection and 2) a reason why horseback riding was taboo for women for so long.

Avilan the Grey
2009-06-18, 01:06 AM
My mother hates horses, on account on having a plate sized bit of skin bitten off by one as a girl.

I obviously can't speak for slightly under half of the world's population, (https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/) but horses horrify me. Those bulging veins ... they look half mad.

I have never been afraid of any animal; but I have a healthy respect for them. A mini shetland pony will kill you immediately if you get a kick in the chest. That's how strong they are. Now imagine getting the same kick from a large working horse...

Basically it's all just common sense. Don't get in the face of strange dogs. Don't pick up cats that you don't know. Don't harrass snakes. Don't walk right behind horses. And never come between cows and their calves.

Yulian
2009-06-19, 10:04 PM
I'm just going to throw out that horse are also pretty dumb animals.

"Easily trainable" does not always mean "smart". My best friend in college grew up on a ranch in Bishop, CA and he always spoke of them as being really stupid animals with a pronounced tendency to panic if presented with unfamiliar stimulation.

This is the genesis of that "run into a burning stable" thing. They panic, and go for the familiar. That's the idea, anyway.

His paint kicked through her stable and injured her leg so badly she almost had to be put down.

So there's also that element of control to it.

- Yulian

Bouregard
2009-06-20, 01:14 AM
No superstition. I live next to a stable and most (if not all) riders are female.

But for the record. I'm male and like horses. Usually with potatoes.:smallbiggrin:

Sholos
2009-06-20, 01:30 AM
Horses are like big rabbits.

No, seriously. We've owned both horses (well, one, but our family has been around them a lot) and several rabbits. They're very similar.

PinsAndNeedles
2009-06-20, 02:23 AM
Oh my... This subject has turned into an amazing read! I guess I've never had a discussion on the subject before. I personally was in Jockey training for years, and spent a lot of time in competition Equestrian sports including Show Jumping. Never found myself turned on by my horses or riding them, but it was a great work-out :smallsmile:
I'm not sure why women love horses so much, but one thing I would like to bring to everyone's attention is the fact that women love all animals! :smallwink:
Oh, and by the way, did someone really say that the hymen is a myth?! :smallconfused: Oh my... :smallsigh:

Innis Cabal
2009-06-20, 02:51 AM
I think girls that like horses,especially stallions, is because they are safe masculinity. Not as threatening as a full fledged male human. After horses, they then start to go for those the next stage, boy bands, those squeaky clean man boys, where the 'bad boy' is the one with with a five o'clock shadow and/or some facial hair.
Just a theory. Not everyone complies with it, but I have seen it repeatedly. It certainly happened to my older sister.

What? Stallions are certianly not safer then men, no...not even then. Not in any way shape or form.Sorry to say, even if its your own opinion. But its completly untrue. Stallions are very well known for their aggresive personalities.

Katasi
2009-06-20, 03:51 AM
I'd probably take one of those as a mount. Ok, a larger one since V-raptors are actually tiny... Although I took a class on dinosaurs and I do have some serious reservations. They were smart little devils and in a battle of me vs them I think it's gonna be them.

Utahraptor is hawt

Something I doubt has ever been said very often before....

I have horrible horrible mental images now of Catherine the Great and her horses. You men aren't that scary. And I'm personally more afraid of a horse than a human. A horse can kill me more easily since with one bad fall I'm dead. One bad fall from a human and things just hurt for a few days.

Never found it that easy to fall off in those activities that require me to ride a human. And If I manage to do so I wouldn't survive. She'd kill me.

My personal teory is that their mothers put them up to it. Dragging a large mammal around by the nose is a skill best learned early.

And they do it so well to! And here I thought it was an inborn skill.