PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew weapons

Krimm_Blackleaf
2006-07-11, 06:20 AM
Greatscythe
These heavy weapons are usually made for warriors who revere gods of death and with to prove just how deadly they can be. They're usually made with thick, strait metal shafts with knobby tops, where the large, curved blade sticks out. These weapons are large and cumbersome, so specialized training is required to use it proficiently. This weapon can be used just like a scythe in a trip attempt.
2-handed exotic weapon
Damage(slashing or piercing): 2d6
Crit range/multiplier: 20/x4
Base price: 50gp
Must have 13 or better str score to get proficiency with weapon.
This weapon can benefit from feats that can benefit the scythe in battle, such as weapon focus (scythe), weapon specialization (scythe), Improved critical (scythe) and greater versions of these three.

Elven curveblade
These curved weapons are weapons usually given to elven generals to use in battle. They look like longer, thinner versions of scimitars but are about as light and a little more finessable.
1-handed exotic weapon; see below
damage(slashing): 1d8
crit range: 18-20/x2
base price: 50gp
Elves with at least 6 HD consider this a martial weapon instead of an exotic weapon. Weapon focus (scimitar) and all that jazz are applicable to the elven curveblade, aswell as weapon finesse.

Heavy Knuckle
These heavy weapons are worn as gauntlets, but have special joints in the wrists and knuckles to make it better in "unarmed" combat. They also have large bowls attacked to the fronts, allowing more damage from blows. These can also be outfitted with spiked for an additional 10 gp. These guantlets are large and cumbersome, farmore so than normal gauntlets, so special training is required to use them effectively.
Exotic weapons
Damage(bludgeoning): 1d8 each
Crit Range: 20/x2
base price: 20 gp
Monks wearing heavyknuckles treat thier unarmed strikes as if they were 1 size catagory larger and can be used as monk special weapons, if they gain proficiency with them. Weapon focus (unarmed strike) and all other feats applicable to unarmed strike except weapon finesse are applicable to heavyknuckles. The large bowls on the heads of these gauntlets also provide a +1 shield bonus to AC.

hope you likes 'um

Edit: feedback-based modifications

Zaggab
2006-07-11, 06:28 AM
Greatscythe:
A logical follow-up to what wizards have laready done to some weapons, so no concept flaws. Though the str 13 is a little odd. No other weapon has a strenght requirement (not even the one-handed 1d12 weapon in CW). Though it's quite reasonable to house-rule such a thing, it shouldn't be in the "official" version of the weapon.

Elven curveblade:
There are an almost identical weapon (stat-wise, and almost fluffwise) called elven longblade. It deals piercing instead of slashing, and is a "rapierified" (new word, yay) version of the longsword.

Heavy Knuckle:
No comments

Skyserpent
2006-07-11, 06:35 AM
The first two are reasonable, but the Gauntlet...

Not so much, basically that's trading a single feat for: Extremely high increases to damage, for a level 20 monk, that makes his usual 2d10 into a whopping 6d8, that's a whole lot of damage. AND it gives them a greater critical threat range. So 1 out of 10 times, a Monk will hit with 12d8 damage. and considering his number of attacks, that's a lot.
I'd suggest weakening them significantly. Make them more like those Warforged Power Fists that just increase damage by one size category, and that's pretty much it. maybe add like a +1 AC for having these huge protective things that are basically Bucklers that cover more...

Thomas
2006-07-11, 06:35 AM
Elven curveblade:
There are an almost identical weapon (stat-wise, and almost fluffwise) called elven longblade. It deals piercing instead of slashing, and is a "rapierified" (new word, yay) version of the longsword.

The curveblade, therefore, ought to conform to the same rules; namely, treating an exotic weapon as a martial weapon - the Weapon Familiarity ability - is a feature of a race, not of a weapon.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2006-07-11, 06:41 AM
The curveblade, therefore, ought to conform to the same rules; namely, treating an exotic weapon as a martial weapon - the Weapon Familiarity ability - is a feature of a race, not of a weapon.

then call it a variant

Thomas
2006-07-11, 06:45 AM
then call it a variant

Er, sure, and I can call Paladins Richard Pryor and give them cleric spell progression. But if you post something here for comments, expect it to get evaluated for balance based on existing D&D material.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2006-07-11, 06:51 AM
Er, sure, and I can call Paladins Richard Pryor and give them cleric spell progression. But if you post something here for comments, expect it to get evaluated for balance based on existing D&D material.
yeah, i should have known better :-[
if my response sounded aggressive it wasn't, I just usually let elves use weapons tagged 'Elven' as martial weapons instead of exotic if they want. And i figured since it was most likely just like an elven thinblade i'd change it just a bit so it'd be noticably different.

Edit: and i like that paladin variant...i think i'll use it next session

InaVegt
2006-07-11, 06:54 AM
The first two are reasonable, but the Gauntlet...

Not so much, basically that's trading a single feat for: Extremely high increases to damage, for a level 20 monk, that makes his usual 2d10 into a whopping 6d8, that's a whole lot of damage. AND it gives them a greater critical threat range. So 1 out of 10 times, a Monk will hit with 12d8 damage. and considering his number of attacks, that's a lot.
I'd suggest weakening them significantly. Make them more like those Warforged Power Fists that just increase damage by one size category, and that's pretty much it. maybe add like a +1 AC for having these huge protective things that are basically Bucklers that cover more...
Two problems in that, 1: a 19 isn't an automatic hit so creatures you can only hit on a twenty will have a lesser chance, 2: you'll have to confirm it

Skyserpent
2006-07-11, 07:02 AM
So you say that a Monk SHOULD be able to deal 12d8 damage on a critical?

forgive my 2 am Mathematics abilities

InaVegt
2006-07-11, 07:21 AM
So you say that a Monk SHOULD be able to deal 12d8 damage on a critical?

forgive my 2 am Mathematics abilities
No, I'm saying it isn't a 1 in 10 chance, let's say he has to roll a 15 to hit on a normal attack, 1 in 10 chance to threat, and 1 in 4 chance to confirm, let's do the math: 0.25 X 0.1 = 0.025, a 1 in 40 chance when the critter has a reasonable AC, now when you need a natural 20 that's a 1 in 400 chance and a 10 is 0.5 X 0.1 = 0.05, a 1 in 20 chance, a 5 becomes a 3 in 40 and a two becomes a 19 in 200 (almost 1 in 10 but just a bit under it)

Conclusion: the chance to crit with it is always smaller than 1 in 10, now for damage assuming 15 is what he needs to hit at his highest attack bonus

three attacks at that for 6d6 X 0.975 + 12d6 X 0.025 = 6.15d6 each, the next two attacks have 6d6 X 0.9975 + 12d6 X 0.0025 = 6.015d6 for a grand total of 30.48d6 with an average of 106.86 damage assuming all attacks hit which is unlikely, most fighters can easily reach this amount of damage though they need a couple of feats, so it's powerfull and broken but not insanely broken

Thomas
2006-07-11, 07:21 AM
yeah, i should have known better :-[
if my response sounded aggressive it wasn't, I just usually let elves use weapons tagged 'Elven' as martial weapons instead of exotic if they want. And i figured since it was most likely just like an elven thinblade i'd change it just a bit so it'd be noticably different.

That's reasonable; I like the Improved Weapon Familiarity feat, personally (no elf or dwarf should ever take EWP for a weapon with elven/dwarven in the name).

Skyserpent
2006-07-11, 07:36 AM
That's reasonable; I like the Improved Weapon Familiarity feat, personally (no elf or dwarf should ever take EWP for a weapon with elven/dwarven in the name).

Just for that, I'm making a set of weapons for Orcs, the first one is going to be called a "Human Cleaver"

Thomas
2006-07-11, 08:25 AM
Just for that, I'm making a set of weapons for Orcs, the first one is going to be called a "Human Cleaver"

And in an ironic twist, the humans suddenly turn the orcs' weapons against them? ;D

I like where this is going.

SpiderBrigade
2006-07-14, 08:13 PM

Will it glow red when there's humans about?

Maerok
2006-07-14, 09:51 PM
Greatscythe:
A logical follow-up to what wizards have laready done to some weapons, so no concept flaws. Though the str 13 is a little odd. No other weapon has a strenght requirement (not even the one-handed 1d12 weapon in CW). Though it's quite reasonable to house-rule such a thing, it shouldn't be in the "official" version of the weapon.

Exotic Weapon Prof(bastard sword) and (dwarven axe?) need 13 Str. But the sword can be used as a two-handed martial weapon without the feat, so idk...

beholder
2006-07-16, 04:28 PM
Will it glow red when there's humans about?

Human Cleaver

OK so we is tired of elfy dat and dwarfy dat so we 'ave made an hooman killing sword which we get coz we is orcs

exotic weppon proficencissy for not orcs
simple weppon...prf-thingy for orcs
one handed with twenny foot reach
damijj: for dee ate
crit: ten to twenny times sics
we can trip an stuff and disarm too.
plus it can be thrown and used as an 'eavy crossbo coz we is orcs
it also glows red when people who is not orcs is near

sadly, this is similar to many speices specific weapons, just the orcs are less subtle

Krimm_Blackleaf
2006-07-21, 09:59 PM
Orcish butcher's sword
This giant bladed weapon resembles a massive butcher knife, only slightly more crudely designed. They're common weapons for the strongest orc barbarians. They are often about a foot taller than your average orc.
2-handed exotic weapon
Damage(slashing): 2d8
Crit range/multiplier: 19-20/x3
Base price: 15gp
A strength score of at least 13 is required to take exotic weapon proficiency with this weapon, except for orcs (which usually have that down anyway).

SpiderBrigade
2006-07-21, 10:43 PM
Human Cleaver

OK so we is tired of elfy dat and dwarfy dat so we 'ave made an hooman killing sword which we get coz we is orcs

exotic weppon proficencissy for not orcs
simple weppon...prf-thingy for orcs
one handed with twenny foot reach
damijj: for dee ate
crit: ten to twenny times sics
we can trip an stuff and disarm too.
plus it can be thrown and used as an 'eavy crossbo coz we is orcs
it also glows red when people who is not orcs is near

sadly, this is similar to many speices specific weapons, just the orcs are less subtle

Heh heh heh. I love it. Wouldn't it be something like "Hoomie Choppa," though? "cleaver" sounds, I donno. Hard to say for orcs.

It'd be fun to stat this monstrosity up as a cursed item that's really just a greatsword +2 or similar, but it has the effect of making the wielder believe it does all that other stuff. Enslaved gnomish artificers made it for the Warchief, and "that's impossible!" wasn't an acceptable answer. Poor Grimble, he wasn't even a very tasty stew :'(

beholder
2006-07-22, 03:17 PM
yar Grimble was salty.

beholder
2006-07-22, 03:20 PM
TOO salty

Fizban
2006-07-22, 04:21 PM
At first glance that stats for your human cleaver looks exactly like a fullblade (arms and equipment guide), except it has an even larger crit multiplier. Increasing it to exotic (for most people) gives it one upgrade, which could be damage, crit range, or crit multiplier, but not both. Technically it should be exotic for orcs, and take two feats for everyone else....however that works.