PDA

View Full Version : Ebberon style magic items [PEACH]

beholder
2006-07-19, 03:18 PM
The Cult Pea Smaker
this potent weapon was invented by a powerful wizard called Pea Smaker, who realized the potential of explosive weaponry during a rather horrid encounter involving a dying balor in a room fool of gravel.Pea Smaker escaped with only his life, and an idea for a potent magic-fuelled but mundane weapon.

there are two forms of the cult Pea smaker, depending on the preference of DM's. if DM's dislike the idea of balor eggs and baby balors, then they should use rule two.

The Cult Pea Smaker Mk.I
the weapon is a large tube, with a curled handle on the end, and looks nearly identical to a flintlock, excpet for an ornate figurine of a knight in armour with a greatsword in place of a flintlock's hammer..the ammunition are tiny baby balors, kept in small iron cases filled with food and with a weak side at their back. when the firer pulls the trigger, i tiny mechanical knight drives it's sword through the ball, and through the baby balor's heart, causing an explosion, which propels the ball forward. this bypasses a few disadvantages of normal flintlocks, it will work when wet, and will not misfire.however, "live" ammunition only has a working lifespan of about 2 weeks before the balors starve. the balors are also magically conditioned to find air poisonous, and will eat no food apart from food in the shotballs.( so noone can breed balor warriors)

weapon group:simple
damage small: d8+2
damage medium d10+2
crit:X3
range increment:50.ft
cost 750gp.
5 gp per bullet.
reload: as crossbow

b]The Cult Pea Smaker Mk.II [/b]
this is for the Dm who beleives balors are elemntal evils, and so dont reproduce.the gun looks very similar, but without the knight and with a larger area near the hammer, which is a flag. for this gun, pea smaker used a combination of wish,genesis and reality revison as he was working with a powerful shaper.The shaper used Genesis and Reality revision to create a demiplane with multiple gates and a time loop. Pea Smaker used Wish to trap a balor in the demiplane, and to create the gates.he then pays a group of high level Pc's to enter the plane every so often. when the firer pulls the trigger, the Party in the demiplane "waiting room" moves in to kill the balor. when they acheive this, the plane opens a gate to the base of the firing tube, which propels a small admantine ball out of the gun.these weapons are much more powerful, and much more expensive.

weapon group:exotic
damage small: 3d8+2
damage medium 3d10+2
crit:X4
range increment:100.ft
cost 62,000 gp.
750 gp per bullet.( the party's share)
reload: two round reload time
The Albion-Kabarrius
two powerful wizards,Albion and Kabarrius, worked with Peasmaker to make this strange weapon. it looks like a large musket with a large (30cm wide) square box hanging underneath and around the middle of the firinf tube. inside this tube lives an Imp, whose jobs is to reload the weapon (essentially a Cult pea smaker MK.I) quickly. these weapons are still being tested as the imp often breaks free, runs away, refuses to load the weapon, or dies.

weapon group:simple
damage small: d8+2
damage medium d10+2
crit:X3
range increment:50.ft
cost 3750gp.
5 gp per bullet.
reload: if Imp is working, then character may shoot using half their BAB. so if they have 4 attacks, they use the first two attacks. if the imp is not working, then it is impossible to realod without releasing a vicious, irate, imp.

these are mainly a joke but feel free to steal them, or PEach them, or make up your own

Collin152
2006-07-19, 03:22 PM
i don't think a balors deah throes propel small objects. Or work when they are infants. Which s incredibly disturbing.

beholder
2006-07-19, 03:32 PM
lol why not?

soylentplaid
2006-07-19, 03:54 PM
Would the enslavement and outright murder of a baby demon for the purposes of a single weapon attack be considered an evil act?

beholder
2006-07-19, 04:02 PM
pfft, its a demon.theyre Evil

Collin152
2006-07-19, 04:28 PM
And helpless.

Eldmor
2006-07-19, 04:29 PM
And the killing of an entirely helpless individual, no matter it's alignment descriptor, is an evil act.

beholder
2006-07-21, 02:49 PM
well what should the expolsive kinetic power be from?

Fax Celestis
2006-07-21, 02:52 PM
well what should the expolsive kinetic power be from?
Try diminutive fireballs.

beholder
2006-07-21, 03:09 PM
then its not ebberon, its magic based, not magic fuelled.
what bout the MKII.the balor isnt helpless there

Nerd-o-rama
2006-07-21, 03:13 PM
Dude, if you want it to be "Eberron" just use a Khyber shard with a bound fire elemental. If they can provide propulsion (see Airships), they can provide propellant. Less disturbing, and admittedly less sickly hilarious, but probably safer.

Fax Celestis
2006-07-21, 03:16 PM
then its not ebberon, its magic based, not magic fuelled.
what bout the MKII.the balor isnt helpless there
Okay, then try tapping into the energies inherent in the Elemental Plane of Fire.

beholder
2006-07-21, 03:16 PM
yeah but wheres the sick humour in that?

soylentplaid
2006-07-21, 03:20 PM
I admit the tiny cute balor (awww look, he's disembowelling the puppy!) is a genius application of its explosive death abilities, but it seems a bit wasteful. Maybe a tiny, Reduced red dragon that gets a shot of pepper in the face when you pull the trigger, forcing it to sneeze and the buildup of hot burning gasses in the chamber propels your round forward.

beholder
2006-07-21, 03:25 PM
I admit the tiny cute balor (awww look, he's disembowelling the puppy!) is a genius application of its explosive death abilities, but it seems a bit wasteful. Maybe a tiny, Reduced red dragon that gets a shot of pepper in the face when you pull the trigger, forcing it to sneeze and the buildup of hot burning gasses in the chamber propels your round forward.

lol
thanks

Rhonstet
2006-07-21, 05:25 PM
I think a bad idea. Maybe if I was running a game with an emphasis on humor, it might work, but introducing this kind of gallows humor/absurdity into a serious game is usually a disaster.

I think you'd be better off stealing ideas for Ebberon's Elemental-bound weapons and importing them into your game, or to examine some of the odder applications of the Artificer homonculi to make self-loading ranged weapons would probably be more creative and seem less silly.