PDA

View Full Version : Feat for a 12th lvl DS

Thurbane
2009-06-15, 10:20 PM
I was wondering what you could recommend for my character’s 12th level feat. He is a human dragon shaman, and already has the following feats: Combat Reflexes, Heavy Armor Proficiency, Intimidating Strike, Maximize Breath, Skill Focus (Bluff), Skill Focus (Jump), Vexing Flanker

STR 16, DEX 12, CON 20, INT 12, WIS 11, CHA 18

The feat MUST be from one of the following sources: PHB, PHB II, Draconomicon.

Cheers - T

Lamech
2009-06-15, 10:53 PM
Leadership! Nothing beats a 10th level character.

Thurbane
2009-06-16, 06:41 AM
Should probably have mentioned the DM has vetoed Leadership for this particular game. If he hadn't I'd already have grabbed it.

J.Gellert
2009-06-16, 06:51 AM
I had read somewhere about a combination of Intimidating Strike (which you have) and Imperious Command (which you likely qualify for) where you can make a foe cower for the entire encounter because of how fear effects stack.

Imperious Command is in Drow of the Underdark.

JeminiZero
2009-06-16, 06:57 AM
For a Dragon Shaman, double draconic aura (requires level 12) is a good choice but thats from Dragon Magic.

Start heckling your DM.

Recover Breath looks like an OK choice if you want to use your breath weapon more often.

Or if you want to use it less often for more damage (action economy and all), take clinging breath and stack that with maximize breath.

namo
2009-06-16, 09:59 AM
Recover Breath is not a bad choice. Enlarge Breath can be good if you have a cone breath (but you know better than me whether your breath range is good enough most of the time).
Shape Breath is good if you have a line breath and want to cover more area.

Retrain SF: Jump to Leap of the Heavens (PHB2) while you're at it.

Blackfang108
2009-06-16, 10:26 AM
Retrain SF: Jump to Leap of the Heavens (PHB2) while you're at it.

$5 says that SF(Jump) is one of his Class Bonus Feats. Aren't those ineligible for retraining? (The wording means it must be a skill focus Feat, IIRC)

Keld Denar
2009-06-16, 12:41 PM
I'm surprised nobody suggested Entangling Exhalation. Its in Dragon Magic. It halfs your damage, but applies the Entangled condition if you fail the save. Thats a really nice one right there for dropping your breath weapon at the start of the fight to debuff your foes. That + Clinging Breath or Lingering Breath should make it last the whole encounter.

Zaq
2009-06-16, 12:47 PM
What do you really want to do? Do you want a more frontline role, as evidenced by your choice of Heavy Armor Proficiency? Do you want to focus on your breath weapon? Something else entirely? Most of the obvious choices for a DS (such as Double Draconic Aura) are from banned sources, so we need more specifics.

only1doug
2009-06-16, 02:00 PM
I'm surprised nobody suggested Entangling Exhalation. Its in Dragon Magic. It halfs your damage, but applies the Entangled condition if you fail the save. Thats a really nice one right there for dropping your breath weapon at the start of the fight to debuff your foes. That + Clinging Breath or Lingering Breath should make it last the whole encounter.

mostly because the OP is limited in his available sources and Dragon Magic isn't included.

I would of suggested double draconic aura as the perfect L12 DS feat, but again the OP is restricted to PHB, PHB II, Draconomicon.

FMArthur
2009-06-16, 04:35 PM
mostly because the OP is limited in his available sources and Dragon Magic isn't included.

I would of suggested double draconic aura as the perfect L12 DS feat, but again the OP is restricted to PHB, PHB II, Draconomicon.

Entangling Exhalation is from Races of the Dragon (which he still doesn't have), and from what I read, anything that takes damage from the breath weapon is automatically entangled, not just anything that fails the save (unless halving an already-halved breath weapon nullifies it?).

Thurbane
2009-06-16, 04:41 PM
What do you really want to do? Do you want a more frontline role, as evidenced by your choice of Heavy Armor Proficiency? Do you want to focus on your breath weapon? Something else entirely? Most of the obvious choices for a DS (such as Double Draconic Aura) are from banned sources, so we need more specifics.
Well, something that makes me more effective at frontlining would be good. So would a feat that adds utility or versatility. I'm a Copper Dragon Shaman, so my breath is a 30-ft line of acid.

Our party is me, Dwarf Fighter, Deep Dwarf Monk, Halfling Druid and Goblin Beguiler (I'm basically 2nd tank/support with my healing). I have asked the DM for Double Draconic Aura, which was my first choice, but it would be preferred if I stuck to the sourcebooks already used for my character.

namo
2009-06-17, 10:22 AM
Entangling Exhalation is from Races of the Dragon (which he still doesn't have), and from what I read, anything that takes damage from the breath weapon is automatically entangled, not just anything that fails the save (unless halving an already-halved breath weapon nullifies it?).
It does work like that. Entangling Exhalation is indeed the best feat he could take but it's outside the books listed.