PDA

View Full Version : One piece and other manga

Demons_eye
2009-06-16, 07:45 PM
My friend and me had a bet going on that concluded during the end of the school year, And he won. He has to read Name of the wind and the other 2, when they come out, while I have to read 5 different manga over the summer. So not one to squelch on a bet I found some old fav's but only have money for 4 or 5 books.

So I in people's opinions what series should I start with, what chapter/volume(if I can only buy one now) and should I watch the show?

Things me and him decided I would read
Fullmetal Alchemist
One Piece
Shaman King
D Gray-man
Yuu Yuu Hakusho

Any help?

13_CBS
2009-06-16, 07:53 PM
I can heartily recommend Full Metal Alchemist, both the manga and the older anime series. Both series are great and have different plots, mostly.

If you're going to watch One Piece, you may wish to do so in Japanese (with subtitles). The English dubs, particularly the ones by 4kids, are...questionable in quality.

Can't say much about the rest in terms of anime. In terms of manga, Shaman King's okay (though it has some elements that may...displease you), and D-Gray.Man is pretty interesting. I can't say anything about Yu Yu Hakusho, since I've never read nor watched it.

To start with...it depends. You could try Full Metal Alchemist, which I think is the best out of all five series you plan on reading. However, that may mean that you'll have to slog through the rest in case you don't enjoy them. You could also try One Piece if you feel like starting with light hearted comedy.

For any of them, though, you should probably start with the first chapter of the first volume--that is, the very beginning.

If you want free manga, try onemanga.com or mangafox.com. None of the five series is complete yet (except maybe Yu Yu Hakuso), but all of them should be at one or both of the sites.

Fan
2009-06-16, 10:30 PM
DON'T watch One piece, ever, the 4kids abomination they created is the equivalent to YU GI OH (not the abridged) GX series.
The rest I approve of, Yu Yu Hakasho is kind of iffy though.

Decoy Lockbox
2009-06-17, 06:43 PM
DON'T watch One piece, ever, the 4kids abomination they created is the equivalent to YU GI OH (not the abridged) GX series.
The rest I approve of, Yu Yu Hakasho is kind of iffy though.

DO watch One Piece, just watch the subbed via this site (http://www.watch-onepiece.com/). Its definitely one of my favorite animes. It feels like all the good parts of DBZ - the bad parts + a dose of Loony Tunes-esque wackiness.

I know its not on your list, but you owe it to yourself to read Berserk at some point in your life.

Galileo
2009-06-17, 11:37 PM
I'm rather enjoying Persona 3, which is based on the PS2 game of the same name. Kinda weirdly laid out, what with starting out with a flashback, but still quite a good story.

Xondoure
2009-06-18, 12:36 AM
Buy book one of Shaman King, Full Metal Alchemist, and One Piece. Read all the others on onemanga.com and mangafox.com as suggested above.

Lord Seth
2009-06-18, 03:06 PM
This is manga, everyone, not anime. Dubs or subtitles are kind of not important in this.

Anyway, I suggest Bakuman (recent so there's not too many chapters so far but it's still good; there's no official translation yet though) and Eyeshield 21 (it takes a nosedive in quality in the last 25 or so chapters but until then it's great).

nothingclever
2009-06-18, 06:46 PM
W-w-why? Why would you buy any of this stuff if you can read it online with equal or better quality?

Bouregard
2009-06-19, 02:48 PM
One Piece

Pretty good quality and as the most important thing (to me)a big good designed story, pretty much foreshadowing and sometimes pretty good storytwists. inventive setting and wonderfull mix of fun, action and story is just a genius masterwork.

Perfect to read but to watch with care.
English dub is definitly a horrible thing. Either you choose another language for example the german dub is decent. Some brutal scenes missing but nothing changed extremly. Its acceptable and the first 3rd of the whole mange is available in episodes.

Another, not legal version would be to download the japanese ones with subtitles. Some voices are not fitting very well for not japanese viewers but is the best try.

I repeat STAY AWAY FROM 4kids! Trust me.

Because of the story enfolding about now 547 chapters and around ~380 animeepisodes it should certainly watched from the beginning.

Silver2195
2009-06-19, 02:58 PM
I recommend Hunter X Hunter, although it has the drawback of being on hiatus.

Querzis
2009-06-19, 03:24 PM
One Piece is definitly my favorite anime too. Personnaly, I actually prefer the anime to the manga. It might have something to do with the fact that, since Oda (the creator of the manga) help write the anime, the fillers are actually decent (yeah I know, thats almost unbelievable.) Beside, the fight scene just cant be as good in the book. But yeah stay away from the dubs! If you wanna watch the anime, watch it in the original japanese version. The 4kids version of the show is absolutely horrible. Its pretty much the main reason why One Piece is the most popular anime everywhere but in english speaking country where the 4kids version aired.

Otherwise, Fullmetal Alchemist is a must. The anime and the manga are quite different so you can watch the anime and then read the manga and it will still be good. If you really wanna watch the english dub of an anime, then I really recommend Fullmetal alchemist. Its one of the best dub ever.

But honestly, if you absolutely wanna buy the manga then I dont recommend any of those you listed. They are all long series. If you really have to read 5 whole series over the summer then you should probably get some short anime. Trigun and Hellsing are both quite short but also very good. Trigun is comedy/action in a futurist setting while Hellsing is horror/action in an urban fantasy settings.

Honestly, I really suggest you actually watch or read some of these before you buy anything. I only buy one series of manga, One Piece, since its my favorite and I wanna get Trigun eventually. But if you actually try to buy 5 whole series in a summer? Man you're gonna end up broke.

Buy the manga if you really like it and wanna support the author but otherwise you cant buy all of them. And dont feel bad about it either. If they were aired here, its not like we would have to pay to watch those anime either. Beside, none of those animes and mangas would have any fans in our country if some people didnt put their work on the internet so most of their sales in western countries come from this. So really, only buy your favorites series and to have favorites series, you're gonna have to watch those anime and read those manga on the internet first.

Xondoure
2009-06-19, 04:42 PM
W-w-why? Why would you buy any of this stuff if you can read it online with equal or better quality?

To support the authors you insufferable half zombie simpleton who looks like a parrot's puke mixed with idiocy and a side order of teletubies! That said, you don't have to buy them all, just a few from your favorite series as a show of support.

This is manga, everyone, not anime. Dubs or subtitles are kind of not important in this.

Anyway, I suggest Bakuman (recent so there's not too many chapters so far but it's still good; there's no official translation yet though) and Eyeshield 21 (it takes a nosedive in quality in the last 25 or so chapters but until then it's great).

Indeed Bakuman is godly.

Decoy Lockbox
2009-06-20, 05:13 PM
To support the authors you insufferable half zombie simpleton who looks like a parrot's puke mixed with idiocy and a side order of teletubies! That said, you don't have to buy them all, just a few from your favorite series as a show of support.

Your sentiment is noble, but a show of support is not the same as support. A mangaka can't live on good intentions, can he?

But you are right, buying a few volumes is still better than nothing.