PDA

View Full Version : New Wild Races.

Annalia
2006-03-24, 11:59 PM
I decided to create two new races, one for my own fun and the other for an homebrew world.

Let's start by the Woodwarves, for my homebrew setting.

+2 Con, -2 Cha
Medium-sized humanoid
Woodwarves base land speed is 20ft
+2 racial bonus on saving throws against poison.
+2 racial bonus on saving throws against spells and spell-like effects.
+1 racial bonus on attack rolls against orcs and goblinoids.
Stability: A dwarf gains a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground).
+2 racial bonus on Appraise and Search checks that are related to wood. They do not, however, detect secret door carved in wood.
Entangle: A woodwarf can cast the entangle spell as a 1st lvl caster or a caster of his level if better.
Darkvision 60ft
Automatic Language: Common and Dwarven
Bonus Language: Giant, Gnome, Goblin, Orc, Halfling, Elven and Sylvan.

Basicaly, woodwarves are just like normal dwarves, except that they live in the forest. Their great cities are carved in gigantic trunks of colossal trees grown by the woodwarves secret (that's what come from the homebrew world.)

I want to keep the race balance, with no LA. I'll wait for your feedback on this race before typing the other. So, comments?

--------------------------------------------------------
Felians

Yes, it's a feline race. I know about catfolk. I, in fact, bought the book the day after I created the race.

+4 DEX, -2 CHA. Felians are reclusive and their animal parts sometime rebuke people.
Medium-sized humanoid
Felians base land speed is 30 ft
+2 racial bonus to handle animal checks concerning felins.
+2 racial bonus on Move Silently, Jump, Listen and Spots checks.
Darkvision 60 ft.
Speak with animals: A felian can cast Speak with animal on a feline only as a 1st caster level or a caster of his level.
Weapon Familiarity: Felians treat all bows as simple weapon instead of martial weapons.
Racial Feat: A felian can take the Rapid Shot feat ven if he does not meet the requirements.
Long sleep: A felian must rest for 12 hours instead of 8 to regain hit points naturally. He also takes a -2 penalty against sleep effects.
Automatic Language: Sylvan and Common. Bonus Language: Elven, Halfling, Aquan, Terran.
Favored Class: Ranger.
LA +1 (?)

Graceful and light, Felians run the wood, living among trees. They have mastered the art of bowmanship, striking from the trees.

Personality
Felians are often reclusive and quiet, preferring to study closely a target before closing in with a chosen method. A felian's tail is an excellent indicator of his mood.

Physical Description
Most felians retain some feline part. The more commonly seen are eyes, ears and tail but a few of them also have small claws. Felian's hair is more often long and may have more than one color in it.

Felian's land
Felians have no kingdom, only a few, well-hidden communities. Those small place (usually less than 500 hundreds) are perched high in trees. Few stranger have seen them.

Adventurer
Most felians are rangers, using their natural skill with a bow to great profit. Druids are also common for felians are tied to nature. Arcane casters are almost unheard of and the rare felian cleric usually worship nature deities. Barbarian often are felian who has let their primal hunter urge take control.

Splendor
2006-03-25, 12:08 AM
They look ok, but I would just look up Wild Dwarves their jungle dwelling poison using dwarves.

Annalia
2006-03-25, 12:16 AM
And that would be in Monster of Faerun, I believe? First, I sadly don't own the book and second, woodwarves are not meant for jungles.

I wanted to put something to match the +4 dodge bonus VS Giants but couldn't find a suitable replacement. Any idea on this?

AmoDman
2006-03-25, 12:33 AM
And that would be in Monster of Faerun, I believe? First, I sadly don't own the book and second, woodwarves are not meant for jungles.

I wanted to put something to match the +4 dodge bonus VS Giants but couldn't find a suitable replacement. Any idea on this?

Just leave it. Gnomes get it too. Juist seems like a smaller size thing to me.

Annalia
2006-03-25, 12:34 AM
Just leave it. Gnomes get it too. Juist seems like a smaller size thing to me.

Well, the description talks about a special training. But maybe it's a special training they undergo because they're smaller. Anyway, I added it.

bosssmiley
2006-03-25, 01:27 AM
Dwarves already have a pretty strong racial ability suite so I'd say that if you're going to give them a new spell-like ability you'd be best off removing one of their normal bonus abilities. Either remove a racial save bonus (probably their resistance to magic), or their Giant-fighting bonus (not many giants live in the forest when compared to the mountains).

When modding a standard race with an eye to keeping them LA+0 a general rule is "for each gain, a loss", with the poor, put-upon Half-Orc being the notable exception.

See the article on variant PC races in Dragon #320 or the relevant section in "Unearthed Arcana".

Splendor
2006-03-25, 06:53 AM
Dwarf, Jungle (UA p13)
+2 Con, –2 Char
Favored Class: Ranger
Medium size
• 20’ movement, but speed is not reduced if
wearing Medium or Heavy Armor, or if
carrying a Medium or Heavy Load.
• Stability - +4 bonus on checks to avoid being
Bull Rushed or Tripped while standing on
the ground.
• Low-Light Vision
• Weapon Familiarity – Dwarven Waraxes & Dwarven
Urgroshes are considered Martial Weapons.
• +1 Racial bonus on attack rolls vs. Orcs & Goblinoids
• +4 Dodge bonus to AC vs. Giants
• +2 Racial bonus on Appraise checks for metal &
stone
• +2 Racial bonus on saves vs. poison
• +2 Racial bonus on saves vs. spells & spell-like
effects
• +2 Racial bonus on Heal, Knowledge (nature), Spot,
and Survival checks.

Annalia
2006-03-25, 12:20 PM
Dwarves already have a pretty strong racial ability suite so I'd say that if you're going to give them a new spell-like ability you'd be best off removing one of their normal bonus abilities. Either remove a racial save bonus (probably their resistance to magic), or their Giant-fighting bonus (not many giants live in the forest when compared to the mountains).

Well, they loose the Stonecunning, only having bonuses to searc hif they look for it. They won't 'sense' secret door or such by passing by as dwarves normally do with stones.

And, I'll edit the first post to include the second race.