PDA

View Full Version : Demonologist (Discworld PrC)

Dhavaer
2006-03-23, 04:38 AM
Demonologist

Prerequisites:
Skills: Knowledge (the planes) 10, Spellcraft 10
Feats: Skill Focus: Knowledge (the planes)
Spells: Must be able to cast 4th level arcane spells of the conjuration and abjuration schools.
Alignment: Any non-good
Special: Must have gotten up to something complicated in a darkened room.

BAB: As wizard
Skills: As wizard
Saves: As wizard
Hit Die: d4

Avaunt: The Demonologist learns to better defend himself against his erstwhile allies. Three times per day he may daze an evil outsider within 60 feet for 1d4 rounds. This is a supernatural ability and may be resisted with a Will save with a DC of 10+Class Level+Charisma Modifier.
Spells: At every level except 4th and 8th, the demonologist gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if he had also gained levels in an arcane spellcasting class to which he belonged to before adding the prestige class level. (Etc.)
Familiar: A demonlogist either gains a familiar as a wizard or sorcerer, or continues the progression of its abilities if he already has one.
Bind Demon: A demonologist can summon more dangerous creatures than an ordinary wizard. The HD limit of his Planar Binding spells is increased by 2. This increases by 2 again at 5th level and 8th level.

I've only done the prereqs so far, abilities soon. I'm not much good at flavour text, though. Can anyone help with that?

Rei_Jin
2006-03-23, 05:11 AM
I'd take a look at the Thaumaturgist and alter it slightly, to fit the flavor you're after.

Extend it to 10 levels from the five the Thaumaturgist has, and add in a little more flavor text. What you've got is a good start. The best thing to do is to make sure that you don't overpower the class.

Ensure that the Demonologist has his familiar continue to gain power as he does in this class, otherwise where do you get the annoying parrot from?

Also, give it a level 10 ability to gain 3 wishes from a demon it summons and binds, but make sure that the wishes are stated to be "iffy", and prone to backfire.

EDIT: I just remembered that there is a Demonologist PrC in the BoVD. Maybe it has some interesting ideas you could steal?

Dhavaer
2006-03-23, 05:16 AM
Good point about the familiar. I'll probably increase the caster level for a few spells on levels when no spell levels are gained. I was thinking Dimensional Anchor, Magic Circle against - and Planar Binding. Decreasing the time to make a pattern to bind demons with might be an idea as well.
I'll put in the Rewrite the Source Codex ability as well, to use a Magic Circle as a Gate, but only for transport an only to the appropriate plane for the spell.

Edit: No, the Demonologist PrC is pretty awful.