PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Base Class: Jedi PEACH

Jerk Dently
2009-06-19, 03:07 AM
The Jedi are knights, diplomats, and wielders of powers granted to them through an energy they call "the Force." Children who are deemed "Force-sensitive" are taken to Academies at a young age, where they learn to harness the energies flowing around them and to use swords of all varieties with stunning proficiency.

Adventures: Jedi adventure to resolve conflicts. They hope to do this peacefully when possible, but are quite aware that it rarely works out in such an easy way. Sometimes they do this at their own option, but frequently they are on a mission or assignment from the Order that all Jedi belong to.
Characteristics: Jedi are trained in swordplay, but also trained to harness the energy that flows through all living beings. Their proficiency in either doesn't quite compare to the specialization of the fighter or wizard, but they can fill in reasonably well for either role. Their connection to all living beings also provides them with strange knowledge at unbidden times, often warning them of danger or alerting them to suffering.
Alignment: Jedi are a variety of alignments. Use of the more protective and wholesome powers tends to create and appeal to the lawful and good sort, while destructive and murderous powers tend to appeal to and create the evil sort.
Religion: Jedi view the deities as vessels of life or death, and so, in their minds, are intertwined with the Force. Some of the most zealous would say they are dependent on the Force, but many believe they are the Force embodied. Regardless, worship of the Force is central to being a jedi, and so they are extremely unlikely to turn elsewhere for religion.
Background: Good jedi are taken to the Academies to train, or sometimes seek out masters to take them on in a one-on-one capacity as apprentices or "padawan" when they discover their power. Self-taught jedi usually, but not always, turn to evil because of the wealth of power they can so easily discover and abuse.
Other Classes: Jedi work well with Paladins, monks, and many wizards and fighters. They sometimes disagree with clerics as to the source of their power, which can lead to conflicts, and they are frequently at odds with bards, rogues, and some sorcerers because of their somewhat rebellious natures, but they nearly always recognize the value of teamwork and will usually put aside their differences to solve the problem at hand.
Role: A jedi can hold their own in combat, though not as well as a fighter or barbarian. They can also be competent support characters or offensive spellcasters, though they lack the punch of a wizard or sorcerer and do not have the durability of a cleric. They are an excellent fifth man or stand-in.

Abilities: Because jedi lack armor, Dexterity helps them stay alive. Their Force powers are based on Wisdom, and because they are in melee combat so often, Strength or Constitution is helpful.
Alignment: Any
Hit Die: d8

Class Skills: Bluff, Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Disguise, Gather Information, Heal, Hide, Jump, Knowledge(history, religion, the planes), Listen, Move Silently, Profession, Search, Sense Motive, Speak Languages, Spellcraft, Spot, Tumble.
Skill Points: 2+Intelligence Modifier (x4 at first level)

Class Features:

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: Jedi are not proficient with any armor or shields, though light armor does not interfere with their power usage and is not forbidden by any sort of jedi law. They are proficient with the dagger, sickle, quarterstaff, shortsword, longsword, rapier, scimitar, and two-bladed sword.
Combat Style: A jedi can choose to use one one-handed weapon, two one-handed weapons, or one double weapon as his combat style. The two-handed weapon must be a weapon that can be used with both ends equally, such as the quarterstaff or two-bladed sword. He gains special bonuses when using a weapon that fits into that style.
Dueling: A jedi who chooses to fight with only one weapon gets a +1 to his attack rolls when fighting with only one weapon. This bonus increases by one every four jedi levels.
Dual-Wielding: A jedi who chooses to fight with two weapons simultaneously gets the feat Two-Weapon Fighting for free at first level, and every four levels after that he gets a +1 bonus to AC when fighting with two weapons.
Doubled Weapon A jedi who fights using a double weapon gains the feat Two-Weapon Fighting for free at first level. At fourth level, he gains a +1 to his AC while using his doubled weapon. At eighth level, he gains +1 his attack rolls. At twelfth level, he can attack more than one opponent in the same full attack action. At sixteenth level, he gains a +1 to his AC, and at twentieth level he gains +1 to his attack rolls.

Force Powers A jedi gains power points and powers dependent on his jedi level. He has three times as many power points per day as he has jedi levels. He begins play with all youngling powers and acquires his first Apprentice power at level five. Youngling powers cost one point, Apprentice powers cost two, Knight powers cost four, Master powers cost eight, and Grandmaster powers cost sixteen. Every jedi gets the Telekinesis power tree and may choose one other power tree which determines his powers gained after that.

Youngling Powers: Jump, expeditious retreat, mage hand, detect evil/good/law/chaos, charm person
Apprentice Powers: Throw Weapon, Telekinesis, Deflect Energy, Prayer, Shock, Wound
Knight Powers: Knight Throw Weapon, Knight Telekinesis, Energy Armor, Aid, Lightning, Choke
Master Powers: Master Thrown Weapon, Master Telekinesis, Energy Immunity, Inspire Hope, Chain Lightning, Kill
Grandmaster Powers: Grandmaster Thrown Weapon, Grandmaster Telekinesis, Absorb Energy, Battle Meditation, Lightning Storm, Slaughter

(deflect energy leads to energy armor leads to energy immunity leads to absorb energy, which completes the power tree. same applies to prayer, shock, wound.)

All youngling powers are as the spells.

Throw Weapon: As a standard action, a jedi can hurl his weapon up to forty feet without penalties for range increments or it being an improvised weapon, because it is guided by the Force. As a full-round action, he can do this and recall it to his hand afterwards, regardless of where the weapon is when he recalls it. At tenth level, the range doubles and recalling it is a free action, at fifteenth level he adds his Wisdom modifier to his damage rolls on these attacks, and at twentieth level he can attack as many foes as his base attack bonus allows him to make attacks as a full round action.

Telekinesis: At apprentice level of telekinesis, a jedi can move up to fifteen pounds/level of material at a rate of five feet per round, and can use telekinesis to attempt to disarm an opponent, Reflex save DC equal to the jedi's wisdom modifier plus ten to keep hold of the weapon. At knight level, the ability becomes identical to the wizard spell telekinesis. At master level, damage done by thrown material becomes 1d6 per twenty five pounds, and he can disarm a number of opponents equal to his Wisdom modifier. At grandmaster level, a jedi can move up to fifty pounds of material per caster level five feet per round or one opponent no more than one size larger than himself ten feet per caster level as a standard action. An enemy thrown against a wall in this way takes falling damage.

Deflect Energy: A jedi can brush aside the first 1d4/five jedi levels of damage from an energy attack provided he has a free hand to do so. At Knight Level, he gains resistance 10 to his choice of one energy type for one round/level, and does not need a free hand. At Master Level, this becomes resistance 10 to all types of energy. At Grandmaster Level, he can absorb 1d6 per caster level energy cast at him if he has a free hand and is aware of the attack, and every five points of energy is turned into a power point he may use.

Prayer: At apprentice level, a jedi can give all allies within sixty feet of him a +2 bonus to attack rolls and Will saves for one round per level. At knight level, this bonus changes to +4 on all rolls to all allies within ten feet per level. At master level, the range extends to twenty feet per level, and all enemies in the area take a -2 penalty on attack rolls and Will saves. At Grandmaster level, the jedi must use it as a full-round action and continue to concentrate for as long as he wants the effect to continue, but the range becomes irrelevant. Every ten rounds he continues to use this, he must renew the casting and so use more power points.

Wound: At Apprentice Level, a jedi can use the force to directly harm one opponent through internal injuries. The target must make a DC 13 Will save or take 5d6 damage. If the Will save is made, the target takes only half damage. At Knight level, this damage becomes 10d6 plus the Jedi's Wisdom modifier, and the save DC is 15. At Master level, the Jedi can kill an opponent unless they make a DC 17 Will save, in which case they take 10d6 plus the Jedi's Wisdom modifier in damage. At Grandmaster Level, the jedi can target up to his Wisdom modifier of enemies provided they are all within forty feet of each other, and the damage is 15d6 plus his jedi level, DC 19 Will save.

Shock: The Force allows Jedi to channel lightning through their fingertips. There are two versions of this, one green and one blue. The blue lightning is represented here, and the green is identical except that it deals nonlethal damage and is considered by some to be not as corrupting to the jedi wielding it. At Apprentice level, a jedi can can send lightning towards an opponent within fifty feet to inflict 10 + his jedi level of damage, DC 14 Reflex save half. At Knight level, this becomes 30 + his jedi level of damage and the range becomes 200 feet, DC 16 Reflex save half. At Master level, the jedi can send his lightning towards up to his Wisdom modifier of targets within forty feet of each other, for 10d6 of damage to one target and 5d6 to all other targets, DC 18 Reflex save half. At Grandmaster Level, the jedi can generate a storm that attacks all enemies in one fifty foot radius area, deals 10d6 damage to all struck Reflex save DC 20 half, and lasts for three rounds (concentration required).

Force Warning: A jedi must choose between Deflection and Uncanny Dodge. If he chooses Deflection, he gains a +4 dodge bonus to AC towards any ranged attack made against him at first level, which changes to +8 at eleventh level. if he chooses Uncanny Dodge, he gains Uncanny Dodge at first level and Improved Uncanny Dodge at eleventh level.

The Jedi
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Power Level Known|Power Points

1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+2|Combat Style, Force Warning|Youngling|3

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+3|-|Youngling|6

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+3|
+3|-|Youngling|9

4th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+4|Combat Style Improves|Youngling|12

5th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+4|Choose Power Tree, Telekinesis|Apprentice|15

6th|
+4|
+2|
+5|
+5|-|Apprentice|18

7th|
+5|
+2|
+5|
+5|-|Apprentice|21

8th|
+6/+1|
+2|
+6|
+6|Combat Style Improves|Apprentice|24

9th|
+6/+1|
+3|
+6|
+6|-|Apprentice|27

10th|
+7/+2|
+3|
+7|
+7|Powers Develop|Knight|30

11th|
+8/+3|
+3|
+7|
+7|Improved Force Warning|Knight|33

12th|
+9/+4|
+4|
+8|
+8|Combat Style Improves|Knight|36

13th|
+9/+4|
+4|
+8|
+8|-|Knight|39

14th|
+10/+5|
+4|
+9|
+9|-|Knight|42

15th|
+11/+6/+1|
+5|
+9|
+9|Powers Develop|Master|45

16th|
+12/+7/+2|
+5|
+10|
+10|Combat Style Improves|Master|48

17th|
+12/+7/+2|
+5|
+10|
+10|-|Master|51

18th|
+13/+8/+3|
+6|
+11|
+11|-|Master|54

19th|
+14/+9/+4|
+6|
+11|
+11|-|Master|57

20th|
+15/+10/+5|
+6|
+12|
+12|Combat Style Improves, Powers Develop|Grandmaster|60[/table]

Thoughts and comments on balance, clarity, adjustments, etc are much appreciated.

togapika
2009-06-19, 10:10 AM
There's a good version of force lightning, which means you don't have to tap into the dark side of the force to use it...

Jack Zander
2009-06-19, 10:15 AM
Dueling: A jedi who chooses to fight with only one weapon gets a +1 to his attack rolls and AC when fighting someone else who is also fighting with one weapon. This bonus increases by one every four jedi levels.

Extremely weak. Give them the bonus no matter what kind of weapon their opponent is using.

Athaniar
2009-06-19, 10:34 AM
Everything seems good, except for alignment restrictions for Sith. I see most Sith as Lawful Evil, so instead of CN/NE/CE, LE/NE/CE would fit much better, or LN/LE/NE.

Jerk Dently
2009-06-19, 11:58 AM
Jack: Why should that apply only to dueling? The two-weapon fighting style applies only when fighting someone else with two weapons, and the doubled weapon style only applies when fighting someone else with a two-handed or doubled weapon. Since someone "fighting with one weapon" can apply to a typical one-handed weapon like a longsword, a huge two-handed weapon like a greataxe, or a ranged weapon like a crossbow, I think it's sufficiently flexible. Convince me otherwise?

Xavius: After rereading the alignment section for what seems like the billionth time, I see where you're coming from. :smallsmile: New alignment on the way.

Togapika: The version you're referring to is called emerald lightning, and it mainly makes appearances in the later series of the books dealing with the Solo children and so on. I don't like this version of lightning. It's supposedly good because it doesn't kill them, just drains their strength and connection to the force or some such, but which part about that sounds good to you? The mental incapacitation, or the physical incapacitation? It's not something that I feel a jedi would actually use because it's too close to being evil, and it's not something I feel a sith would use because it's not evil enough.

My feelings about roleplaying accurately shouldn't affect that the character option be available, though. So I'll include a note that it comes in two colors, one of which deals nonlethal damage. Sound good?

Jack Zander
2009-06-19, 01:44 PM
Jack: Why should that apply only to dueling? The two-weapon fighting style applies only when fighting someone else with two weapons, and the doubled weapon style only applies when fighting someone else with a two-handed or doubled weapon. Since someone "fighting with one weapon" can apply to a typical one-handed weapon like a longsword, a huge two-handed weapon like a greataxe, or a ranged weapon like a crossbow, I think it's sufficiently flexible. Convince me otherwise?

Oh, sorry, I didn't see the other two were the same. I'd say all three of them are weak then, and will be some unnecessary bookkeeping. Now you have a different bonus against different enemies, instead of an easy +x whenever you wield a certain weapon.

Actually, the other two are now even weaker weapon styles, since they are less likely to come up. And I don't think Darth Maul fought with a double-bladed lightsaber because he knew it was good against other people who wielded one too, I'm pretty sure he fought with it because he excepted to be fighting multiple Jedi at a time. Instead of making all styles the same, try giving them each their own niche.

Jerk Dently
2009-06-19, 05:36 PM
Mkay, made a few changes that I think may be final. Combat styles are now a constant, instead of only when you're fighting someone who mimicks your own. They are also a bit niche-ier, with dueling getting high attack bonuses, dual-wielding getting high AC bonuses, and double-weapons getting a little bit of both but mainly getting the ability to engage multiple enemies in melee combat. Also, the lightning now comes in green. I'm really liking how this class is turning out...any other suggestions, comments, appraisals, or critiques are still welcome!

Worira
2009-06-19, 05:52 PM
Every character in the game can attack more than one opponent in the same full attack action.

Jerk Dently
2009-06-19, 05:58 PM
Agh, damn. Couldn't find anything on it in the SRD and my group never talks about it, we just attack the one same thing and try to kill it. Alright, in that case I have no clue what to do to give the doubled weapon a significant benefit without overpowering it. Suggestions? EDIT: Had a thought. What about giving them the Whirlwind Attack feat whether or not they meet the prerequisites?

Tingel
2009-06-19, 06:33 PM
Oversight: In the second Alignment section, it says "Chaotic evil or one step away if sith". Exchange with "Any Evil if Sith", otherwise it contradicts the first Alignment section.

Also, using both metric and non-metric units in the same paragraph (Telekinesis) is unnecessarily confusing. Stick to one system.

Dancing_Zephyr
2009-06-19, 06:48 PM
A few questions:
When are the Power Points restored, each encounter, each day?
Why aren't jedi proficient with the greatsword, there are times when jedi in the films used the lighsaber 2 handed.
Why the mediocre BAB, jedis were warriors.

Also you may want to re-read the Shock power section. The knight level is missing some words and the Grandmaster level attacks allies.

Tingel
2009-06-19, 07:11 PM
Why aren't jedi proficient with the greatsword, there are times when jedi in the films used the lighsaber 2 handed.
Strictly based on size and versatility, a lightsaber is not similar to a greatsword at all, and wielding a sword two-handedly and wielding a greatsword are not the same thing.

A one-handed weapon can be used in either the primary hand or the off hand. Add the wielder’s Strength bonus to damage rolls for melee attacks with a one-handed weapon if it’s used in the primary hand, or ½ his or her Strength bonus if it’s used in the off hand. If a one-handed weapon is wielded with two hands during melee combat, add 1½ times the character’s Strength bonus to damage rolls.

Trodon
2009-06-19, 07:29 PM
Put a full BAB instead of 3/4th, jedi and sith were fighters like Dancing_Zephyr said

Jerk Dently
2009-06-19, 07:35 PM
A few questions:
When are the Power Points restored, each encounter, each day?
Why the mediocre BAB, jedis were warriors.

Also you may want to re-read the Shock power section. The knight level is missing some words and the Grandmaster level attacks allies.

Power points are restored each day, see Tingel's incisive response about the greatswords, thanks for the catch on the shock section(it was the last one I did and the one that took place latest at night) and the BAB is mediocre because already at level twenty a dueling jedi has a higher primary attack bonus than a fighter. They have the option to spec to be great fighters, but don't ever get to +26 on primary attacks without magic bonuses. They're good fighters, but not so good as to steal the tank's thunder. EDIT: just fixed the shock section, that truly was an epic fail on my part. I was thinking I had it as some blanket attack that would accidentally target allies, but no. It ONLY targets allies hahahahaha. Again, good save Tingel. :smallsmile:

Godskook
2009-06-19, 07:51 PM
Why can't your Jedi be CG? I'd understand the restriction of being within one step LG for, say, a members of the Jedi Council prestige class, but CG is a common alignment for Jedi in the movies, from Luke and Anakin to Qui-gon Jinn and Obi-wan Kenobi, although I'm sure someone will disagree with me here.

Wait a sec, I just realized. Why does this class have an alignment restriction? Jedi don't 'lose powers' when they change alignment, they just stop being members of their former organization. Since this class has no 'organization' benefits, there's no reason to have an alignment restriction.

The powers section seems entirely lack-luster from the perspective of someone who is a Star Wars fan. So, a grand master Jedi can use 4 Grandmaster powers per day, and the he's out of 'juice'? Force-wielders are never shown to 'run out' in the long run, and I'd push to keep that theme here. I suggest reading Tome of Battle for a great mechanical system for balancing inexhaustible powers. And, if you really wanted alignment flavor in the class, here would be the place to do it, by making some powers exclusive to certain alignments(force choke is [evil], while commune with dead is [good], perhaps?).

Jerk Dently
2009-06-19, 08:11 PM
Why can't your Jedi be CG? I'd understand the restriction of being within one step LG for, say, a members of the Jedi Council prestige class, but CG is a common alignment for Jedi in the movies, from Luke and Anakin to Qui-gon Jinn and Obi-wan Kenobi, although I'm sure someone will disagree with me here.

Wait a sec, I just realized. Why does this class have an alignment restriction? Jedi don't 'lose powers' when they change alignment, they just stop being members of their former organization. Since this class has no 'organization' benefits, there's no reason to have an alignment restriction.

The powers section seems entirely lack-luster from the perspective of someone who is a Star Wars fan. So, a grand master Jedi can use 4 Grandmaster powers per day, and the he's out of 'juice'? Force-wielders are never shown to 'run out' in the long run, and I'd push to keep that theme here. I suggest reading Tome of Battle for a great mechanical system for balancing inexhaustible powers. And, if you really wanted alignment flavor in the class, here would be the place to do it, by making some powers exclusive to certain alignments(force choke is [evil], while commune with dead is [good], perhaps?).

I debated the alignment deal with myself quite a bit. And you are correct sir, there should not be an alignment restriction, though a tendency towards alignment due to power selection or vice versa would be suitable. The power system was also harder than i thought it would be to design. I'll definitely check out the Tome of Battle for inspiration/adjustments, but I worry that by balancing something inexhaustible they'll make the Grandmaster powers considerably less Grandmaster-y. I want my jedi to be able to smash dragons with giant boulders, but I don't want them to become indestructible juggernauts and I don't want them to have limitless ability to draw on useless powers. EDIT: New changes. Three times as many power points, but the powers cost a bit more. Now you can have fifteen Knight powers per day, or three Master powers and a few youngling powers, or sixty youngling powers, or five master powers and five knight powers. I think this balances the limited use of uber powers with the want to frequently use lower-level abilities. Also, the deflect energy grandmaster power seemed not quite as powerful as the other abilities, so now it's easier to regain power points through it's use. Thoughts?

Maerok
2009-06-19, 09:25 PM
Actually, the other two are now even weaker weapon styles, since they are less likely to come up. And I don't think Darth Maul fought with a double-bladed lightsaber because he knew it was good against other people who wielded one too, I'm pretty sure he fought with it because he excepted to be fighting multiple Jedi at a time. Instead of making all styles the same, try giving them each their own niche.

A double-bladed lightsaber is a death-sentence. I think he could have accomplished a lot more with dual sabers than one ungodly flashy abomination.