PDA

View Full Version : The new SWTOR video(Yes its awesome)

Gourtox
2009-06-19, 07:46 AM
This thing is awesome covered with awesomesauce and baked in the awesome oven. Its a cinematic trailer, but still. If you like violence or Star Wars watch it. Finally the link here (http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/deceived-cinematic-trailer) it might take a little while tto load fully, but be patiant its worth it.

Black_Pants_Guy
2009-06-19, 09:33 AM
Old Video is Old.

The official thread is here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113867) where it belongs in the Gaming (other) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26) section.

Gourtox
2009-06-19, 09:40 AM
Old Video is Old.

The official thread is here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113867) where it belongs in the Gaming (other) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26) section.

I thought it would belong here since its a video and its not that old.

Athaniar
2009-06-19, 10:58 AM
It's been out since E3, and that was last week, right? That's long ago as far as the Internet is concerned. But yes, it is a truly awesome video. Makes me look forward to the game even more. And since it's a trailer for a game, Gaming (Other) is indeed the correct forum.

Dienekes
2009-06-19, 07:43 PM
Heh, cool. But yeah sadly old in internet time.

And possibly even more sad, that 4 minute trailer is better than the entire new series.

raitalin
2009-06-19, 08:10 PM
And possibly even more sad, that 4 minute trailer is better than the entire new series.

That's exactly what I thought after I watched it. If only the new SW TV/movies were as good as Bioware's games...*sigh*

MCerberus
2009-06-19, 08:27 PM
I like the series they did in the art style of Samurai Jack.

LurkerInPlayground
2009-06-19, 08:28 PM
That's exactly what I thought after I watched it. If only the new SW TV/movies were as good as Bioware's games...*sigh*
If only the MMORPG didn't decide to rape Chris Avellone's take on the Old Republic by revisiting the Civil War. Again.

raitalin
2009-06-19, 08:33 PM
Oh, I liked Tartakovsky's Clone Wars too. My only complaint was that it took force power too over-the-top and set me up for a huge amount of disappointment when Greivous made his RotS debut.

And the MMO takes place 300 years after KotOR.

Only thing that sucks is that I'll probably never play it, what with running Linux and objecting to monthly game subscriptions on principle.

Athaniar
2009-06-20, 06:02 AM
If only the MMORPG didn't decide to rape Chris Avellone's take on the Old Republic by revisiting the Civil War. Again.

Hm? I thought this was a previously undisclosed conflict and period of time?

LurkerInPlayground
2009-06-20, 12:54 PM
Hm? I thought this was a previously undisclosed conflict and period of time?
Nope.

Chris's "True Sith" were implied to be something more vague and sinister, not just another batch of rebellious ex-Jedi who have more resources and men.

It's also set in the Old Republic.

So it's basically The Jedi Civil War all over again. Except this time the ex-Jedi now have more mans.

Xondoure
2009-06-20, 01:14 PM
Nope.

Chris's "True Sith" were implied to be something more vague and sinister, not just another batch of rebellious ex-Jedi who have more resources and men.

So it's basically The Jedi Civil War all over again. Except this time the ex-Jedi now have more mans.

Well yeah, but how would you have done it? Sure, we may have seen this before, but honestly, the goal for the plot was to be able to create a scenario in the old republic where you can have thousands of Jedi and Sith. This story accomplishes that, as well as giving us huge potential for everything we could ever dream of in an MMO. Then again, my standards for MMOs in general are really low, so this one does not take much to please me.

LurkerInPlayground
2009-06-20, 09:19 PM
Well yeah, but how would you have done it? Sure, we may have seen this before, but honestly, the goal for the plot was to be able to create a scenario in the old republic where you can have thousands of Jedi and Sith. This story accomplishes that, as well as giving us huge potential for everything we could ever dream of in an MMO. Then again, my standards for MMOs in general are really low, so this one does not take much to please me.
It works fine for an MMO, but the story is still inanely retarded. How many different variations on the same conflict do we need? Was the Jedi Civil War not good enough for this?

It's pretty laughable when the best they can come up with is:
"It's like the Jedi Civil War . . . only the Sith are bigger, badder and angstier than ever."

No, we already did that. We already tread this ground in the original KOTOR, didn't we? And even that was pretty stale by the time KOTOR got around to doing it, because it never gets old telling about exactly the same conflict between two different flavors of monastic warrior.

Tyrant
2009-06-21, 12:39 AM
No, we already did that. We already tread this ground in the original KOTOR, didn't we? And even that was pretty stale by the time KOTOR got around to doing it, because it never gets old telling about exactly the same conflict between two different flavors of monastic warrior.
So, given that there are basically only two factions that mean anything of any importance in SW, what other conflict would you try to use? It's going to be Jedi vs Sith in the Old Republic, or Jedi vs Sith during the Clone Wars (and bhy Sith, I mean two guys you probably can't play as and by Jedi I mean the guys destined to lose), or maybe during the OT (with no Jedi or Sith as playable characters), or during the Vong War (with limited Sith, and apparently everyone hates that time period), or during the Legacy era (which so far has only a comic book supporting it and might not be a sure thing). The options are kind of limited. Setting it in one of the time periods where there could be numerous Jedi and Sith and following 2 very successful video games makes sense. There's no way to avoid the Jedi vs Sith dynamic in a game like this so you may as well use the high selling conflict/setting.

Closet_Skeleton
2009-06-21, 07:19 AM

So? He raped everyone else's take on the Old Republic so he's fare game in my opinion.

Vague and implied. Exactly.

Anything they could give you about the "true sith" would be dissapointing compared to your imagination. Even if they're given to you by whatever writer you choose to "idolise".

It's kind of hard to have Jedi as a side if your game isn't set in the old republic.

Dienekes
2009-06-21, 11:01 AM

Who cares? The SW EU recreates itself all the time, complete with contradictions and forgotten ideas.

LurkerInPlayground
2009-06-21, 11:10 AM
Oh for . . . even if you didn't accept KOTOR 2 as anything, it still makes more sense to set the events during the Jedi Civil War. I thought this was an obvious implication to everything I just said.

That addresses:
- Chris Avellone raping everybody's canon. If you hated his version, setting it in the Jedi Civil War of the original game is hardly a controversial move.
- Me wondering why they bothered to attach the KOTOR label at all.
- The EU being constantly recreated. Because honestly, we don't need another recreation.
- Leaving the vague and implied threat exactly that way.

Do I have to hold everybody's hand through the obvious conclusion?

I can't get hyped-up about its promised "story" when the story is a massive hack-job that arbitrarily does away with any potential that was there to begin with. It's not interesting compared to most EU and it certainly isn't following KOTOR's continuity anymore.

Closet_Skeleton
2009-06-21, 11:24 AM
Oh for . . . even if you didn't accept KOTOR 2 as anything, it still makes more sense to set the events during the Jedi Civil War. I thought this was an obvious implication to everything I just said.

The reasons it isn't set during the Jedi Civil War are numerous:

1. It lets the PCs become the heroes rather than play second fiddle to Revan and Pals.

2. It means the end of the story isn't already fixed.

3. It lets it seem like a sequel.

4+

The more logical setting for this MMO would be the largely empty New Sith Wars period, but that would alienate KotOR players since it has nothing to do with KotOR.

Me wondering why they bothered to attach the KOTOR label at all.

Why would they give it a label from the first trade paper back of an old comic book series indeed...

In case you haven't noticed, it isn't called KotOR, it's just The Old Republic. Even if it was called KotOR, it would still be a perfectly good name for any game set in the past of Star Wars that centered around Jedi. The idea that something has to have the same characters to be a sequel is nonsense (even if it's irrelevant to TOR).

- Leaving the vague and implied threat exactly that way.

Which would only be possible by doing nothing with it, making it largely pointless except for confusing what is otherwise the most complete and organised canon in a modern franchise.

Do I have to hold everybody's hand through the obvious conclusion?

I have nothing pleasant to say about this comment.

I can't get hyped-up about its promised "story" when the story is a massive hack-job that arbitrarily does away with any potential that was there to begin with.

Complain about stuff that you don't have enough evidence about yet all you like, it won't mean anything.

It's not interesting compared to most EU and it certainly isn't following KOTOR's continuity anymore.

KotOR's continuity is the Star Wars continuity, which TOR fits much better than the wierder parts of KotOR II (which still fit in an imperfect way due to everything being canon).

LurkerInPlayground
2009-06-21, 11:53 AM
The reasons it isn't set during the Jedi Civil War are numerous:

1. It lets the PCs become the heroes rather than play second fiddle to Revan and Pals.

2. It means the end of the story isn't already fixed.

3. It lets it seem like a sequel.

4+
Yes, and those are all hackneyed ways of doing it. MMO's have always done this regardless of the actual story. All that is ever achieved is the illusion that you are special (e.g. Age of Conan).

And that illusion is still nonetheless achievable by making the characters seem like important movers-and-shakers in the war itself. Diablo 2 always casts you in the shoes of the conquering hero, even though all other players are playing through the exact same plot over-and-over.

Merely passing it off as a new take on the same continuity still leaves your story open-ended and simultaneously makes it a "sequel." But no, everybody is hung-up on making the games chronologically sequential. That doesn't exercise a terrible amount of imagination.

Why would they give it a label from the first trade paper back of an old comic book series indeed...

In case you haven't noticed, it isn't called KotOR, it's just The Old Republic. Even if it was called KotOR, it would still be a perfectly good name for any game set in the past of Star Wars that centered around Jedi. The idea that something has to have the same characters to be a sequel is nonsense (even if it's irrelevant to TOR).
Fair enough. But it's still pretending to follow the events of KOTOR. For all that it matters they could have just as easily called it "Galaxies 2."

If it were just about *any* period of the Old Republic, then they would have said so. They didn't. The simple fact that you can exercise more imagination than their writers is pretty telling. It's eminently more sensible to reboot to a new setting altogether, assuming that we're not simply reinterpreting the same franchise.

Which would only be possible by doing nothing with it, making it largely pointless except for confusing what is otherwise the most complete and organised canon in a modern franchise.
I'm not sure what makes you think any Star Wars canon is ever organized and complete. That's largely antithetical to how it operates.

Complain about stuff that you don't have enough evidence about yet all you like, it won't mean anything.
I have no problems with the MMO per-se but it just looks like your usual Star Wars writing. Which is to say that it does exactly what was already done before and pretending like it's part of the same continuity. Making their own would have served their purposes better.

Furthermore, I doubt they'll come up with some revolutionary way to tell a story in an MMO. Sorry, I just don't see it.

KotOR's continuity is the Star Wars continuity, which TOR fits much better than the wierder parts of KotOR II (which still fit in an imperfect way due to everything being canon).
It doesn't even fit with KOTOR 1! That's the point. There are more Jedi and Sith running around in the actual war itself than after it -- even if you completely disregard KOTOR 2. And we're ostensibly told what the True Sith are, so it's still trying to fit KOTOR 2 to the MMO, which, as you yourself have pointed out, doesn't work. It's clumsy and inane.

The story they want to tell was already being told. At the same time they want to doff their hat to it and have all the KOTOR idiosyncrasies running about their game. There's a simple and easy solution to doing both.

raitalin
2009-06-21, 07:18 PM
OK, this is *300* years after KotOR. That's a very long time to allow things to change, or return to the pre-KotoR status quo. And Star Wars seems to have established a pattern that the Jedi and Sith will be born, destroy each other, and be reborn. I think its got something to do with the whole "balance of the force" thing.