PDA

View Full Version : Magic Item: Sigil Card

Lysander
2009-06-20, 05:37 PM
Another idea for a charge-bearing magic item like the wand or staff, but with a different mechanic.

Sigil Card
A sigil card is a piece of ordinary paper, often a blank playing card, that a magician has inscribed a magical mark on. Sometimes it is covered in wax to waterproof it. The sigil contains fifty charges of a single spell, and one charge is automatically used whenever someone sees the sigil. Once all the charges are used a card becomes an unmagical piece of paper.

The spell targets, or is centered on, the person who sees it. A sigil card will not cast a spell on the same person more than once a minute. The maximum number of creatures it can affect in one round (discounting area effect spells) is equal to the spell's level, and each use up one charge. Additional creatures that see the sigil will have the spell cast on them next round, unless they break their gaze.

Creatures must be no more than 10 feet away when they see the sigil for it to work. One must see the sigil's many colors for the spell to take effect, so it will work through clear glass or water, but not through colored glass, with darkvision, or in low light unless one has low light vision. It will not work reflected through a mirror.

Looking at or showing a sigil card is a standard action. An unwilling person that figures out what you're doing has a reflex save to avert their gaze, in addition to whatever save the spell normally allows.

Destruction of A Sigil
If a Sigil is destroyed up to 1d6 of the remaining charges are randomly cast on the creatures closest to the card, including the bearer, whether they can see it or not. One could intentionally rip a card to use this effect, but it can also happen accidentally. The released magical energy causes a loud bang and flash of light equivalent to a Flare spell that can affect all within ten feet who see it.

Examples of Use

A Sigil Card of Fly could be shown to all the members of a party so they can soar over an obstacle.

A Sigil Card of Suggestion could be shown to guards so they let your party pass:
Guards: "Hey, those druids are wanted fugitives!"
*you show the card*
"These are not the druids you are looking for."

A Sigil of Teleport could be looked at while you concentrate on a location. Otherwise it might waste the spell.

A Sigil of Sleep could be left in a wizard's spellbook as a trap.

arguskos
2009-06-20, 05:48 PM
I assume the pricing is equal to a wand?

If so, I like the idea. I like it a lot, actually. I've got a thing for charged items, and this is a fun one. Thanks for the idea, I'll be nicking it wholesale.

DracoDei
2009-06-20, 05:54 PM
Not as per a wand... much much more... see the furor that errupted over the "Bouncy Ball of Insanity" and explaining why you can't use a glyph that way technically... the 1/minute thing makes it a lot better, but still, much cheese could occur... On second though... with the 10' range thing it MIGHT only be a bit more than a wand...

Lysander
2009-06-20, 07:13 PM
As an additional limitation, maybe it should only affect a number of creatures each round equal to the spell's level (each creature requiring one charge).

Lysander
2009-06-21, 01:36 AM
For extra flavor, when a Sigil with charges are destroyed I changed it so it releases a loud noise and flash of light.

DanielLC
2009-06-21, 01:06 PM
Could you make one that casts glyph of warding, which in turn casts explosive runes?

Lysander
2009-06-21, 01:24 PM
Could you make one that casts glyph of warding, which in turn casts explosive runes?

It couldn't cast glyph of warding because that spell only targets items. The Sigil Card either targets the viewer or their location. But you could make a Sigil for any spell that a Glyph of Warding could cast.

arguskos
2009-06-21, 04:15 PM
It couldn't cast glyph of warding because that spell only targets items. The Sigil Card either targets the viewer or their location. But you could make a Sigil for any spell that a Glyph of Warding could cast.
Well, you could make a Sigil of some explody spell, then put a glyph of warding ON the Sigil Card itself. :smallbiggrin:

PId6
2009-06-21, 05:12 PM
Wow, that teleport thing really reminds me of Princes of Amber. Cool idea. :smallcool: